Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,425 members, 7,954,667 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:13 AM

Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World (10327 Views)

If This Was A Prison cell In Nigeria, Sure Crime Rate Will Be Very High (photo) / Alarming Crime Rate In Lagos / Very High Crime Rate In Lagos(Gov Fashola Has Failed Us) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by tboy1(m): 11:44am On Apr 17, 2008
N-joy:

Something must be potentially wrong with the way you think if you think that 921 people can be killed in Lagos State alone in the year 2006.

In the whole of America in 2006 - 17, 034 people were killed - in one year alone - can that ever happen in Nigeria in one year alone? Common - lets be reasonable - lets think before we write - lets be objective - lets be human -

hahahahaha grin grin grin although this is a serious issue i had to laugh at your post. R u for real?!!!!

How many car accidents which inventually leads to passengers and drivers killed, do we have in a month in Lagos?
How many hit and run cases which inventually leads to people dying, do we have in a month in Lagos?
How many people are kidnapped and never found in Lagos in a month?
How many Armed robbers attack homes in Lagos in a Month week?
How many people are stabbed during argument in Lagos in a month?
How many people are shot by the Police in a month in Lagos?
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by tboy1(m): 11:47am On Apr 17, 2008
N-joy:

No where can be less safe than a country where 17, 034 human beings were murdered in one single year -

1,417,745 - violent
17,034   -   murder
92,455   -    rape
447,403  --- robbery
862,947  -    assault
2,183,746  ---- burglary
6,607,013  ------theft
1,192,809   -----vehicle theft
In one year - 2006 - alone in America - common - facts speaks better than being judgemental.

Please how many people do u think r murdered in Nigeria in a year? Give me an average figure
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Kobojunkie: 11:48am On Apr 17, 2008
N-joy:

Somebody ask for facts - and he gets the facts - but they are not what he thinks he will get, and then concludes by saying someone is not worth his time - who should make that statement? Yourself or myself? Some people think as if they have gotten their brains in yuk.

I am sure you do not see it but you seem so deluded that the best way for you to debate is to assume you have all figured out about your opponent, that you go on and on posting things I NEVER EVER said or thought of. Do you think I wake up in the morning and decide I want to debate with a seemingly crazy person ?? NO, I have better things to do. If you can not actually debate without the need to act my person, a person you have never met or know anything of, I am sorry, but I do say, you are not worth my time, no matter how good what you have to offer may be. JEEEZZZ,
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Njoy1(f): 11:48am On Apr 17, 2008
tboy1:

hahahahaha grin grin grin although this is a serious issue i had to laugh at your post. R u for real?!!!!

How many car accidents which inventually leads to passengers and drivers killed, do we have in a month in Lagos?
How many hit and run cases which inventually leads to people dying, do we have in a month in Lagos?
How many people are kidnapped and never found in Lagos in a month?
How many Armed robbers attack homes in Lagos in a Month week?
How many people are stabbed during argument in Lagos in a month?
How many people are shot by the Police in a month in Lagos?

Answer it for yourself - boy thick lips.

How many under aged people carry knifes and guns on the streets of Lagos - u live in the UK -

some people do actually talk out of their anus.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Kobojunkie: 11:49am On Apr 17, 2008
how old is this thing
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Njoy1(f): 11:50am On Apr 17, 2008
tboy1:

Please how many people do u think r murdered in Nigeria in a year? Give me an average figure

Look at the Nigerian crime staistics supplied earlier - and see for yourself - but alas - you will not beleive the figures - because it is Nigerian.

All hail Nigeria - no matter what the people say - you as a black person cant even go to some areas in the UK/America - the cops will bundle you in jail - it only takes one old whie woman to make that call - and u sit there in your comfort zone thinking you are safe - go on the bus in London - you dare tell someone he/she is playing his music loud and you get knifed or shot just because you are asking him to turn his music down - leave your 6 year old daughter on the street and she gets raped by a 40 year old man - leave your car in your drive way and it gets broken into just because they want to remove the tape - make phone calls and you get slapped and your phone taken from you - if you havent experienced these thigs - then shut the f up and go to sleep - but when you do - then you will run back to where u belong - quick.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by tboy1(m): 11:53am On Apr 17, 2008
N-joy:

Answer it for yourself - boy thick lips.
How many under aged people carry knifes and guns on the streets of Lagos - u live in the UK -
some people do actually talk out of their anus.

grin grin grin I'm not going to abuse or trade insults with you so u can waste your time doing that.
I asked you a question a simple question and im still waiting for the answer.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by tboy1(m): 11:55am On Apr 17, 2008
N-joy:

Look at the Nigerian crime staistics supplied earlier - and see for yourself - but alas - you will not beleive the figures - because it is Nigerian.
What is the figure?
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Njoy1(f): 11:59am On Apr 17, 2008
tboy1:

What is the figure?

Now am I not surprised? well - i gat better things to do - I see - its true - some people have eyes but will never see with them.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by tboy1(m): 12:07pm On Apr 17, 2008
N-joy:

All hail Nigeria - no matter what the people say - you as a black person can't even go to some areas in the UK/America - the cops will bundle you in jail - it only takes one old whie woman to make that call - and u sit there in your comfort zone thinking you are safe - go on the bus in London - you dare tell someone he/she is playing his music loud and you get knifed or shot just because you are asking him to turn his music down - leave your 6 year old daughter on the street and she gets raped by a 40 year old man - leave your car in your drive way and it gets broken into just because they want to remove the tape - make phone calls and you get slapped and your phone taken from you - if you havent experienced these thigs - then shut the f up and go to sleep - but when you do - then you will run back to where u belong - quick.

Number question - What part of UK do u or did u stay?

Did u ere me say i dont want to go back to my country, heck i dont even like UK but you cant compare the crime rate of Nigeria to that of UK,US i also dont think so because i have not seen the actual figures of crime in Nigeria because most cases are not RECORDED. I was still in nigeria last september and even this Feb so i really dont know why you're assuming i will run back. I never talk bad about Nigeria, the only you can here me say is the fact on what is going on in Nigeria.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by tboy1(m): 12:14pm On Apr 17, 2008
N-joy:

Now am I not surprised? well - i gat better things to do - I see - its true - some people have eyes but will never see with them.

grin grin grin So u really believe those figures?
if you do then you have no idea what is going on in Nigeria
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by newguy(m): 1:15pm On Apr 17, 2008
cry crime is every where ok ,
umm america and organised crime , think about it the mafia , gangsta around the streets, and so on
, even in UK hooliganism and all sort of killings ,
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Kobojunkie: 1:22pm On Apr 17, 2008
newguy:

umm america and organised crime , think about it the mafia , gangsta around the streets, and so on

How does that answer any of the questions posed??
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by tboy1(m): 1:28pm On Apr 17, 2008
newguy:

bro i never said crime is not everywhere but what ive said was that the figures of the crimes in nigeria is alot and its sad that it is not even recorded.Go to any police station and tell me how many of them use PC? Most of them still use folder, that's even if the civilians will even go and report. So until there is a valid report or record that shows the crime rate in nigeria im going to believe crime is nigeria is way higher.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Njoy1(f): 2:23pm On Apr 17, 2008
someone is trying to change the topic -

its not about crime being reported or not - its about a glaring reality that crime is worse in America/UK than in Nigeria -

People say how can you compare Nigeria with America/Uk/Europe in terms of good things but these same people are glad to compare Nigeria with America/UK/Europe in terms of crime and bad things - na wao -

what a life these people live.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by tboy1(m): 3:19pm On Apr 17, 2008
N-joy:

someone is trying to change the topic -

its not about crime being reported or not - its about a glaring reality that crime is worse in America/UK than in Nigeria -

People say how can you compare Nigeria with America/Uk/Europe in terms of good things but these same people are glad to compare Nigeria with America/UK/Europe in terms of crime and bad things - na wao -
what a life these people live.

Now you're just talking rubbish and this is the last time i'll reply to your post
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by hotshawlng(m): 6:29pm On Apr 17, 2008
Lol. N-joy, i'm on ur side. grin
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Kobojunkie: 8:50am On Apr 18, 2008
hotshawlng:

Lol. N-joy, i'm on your side. grin

have you ever been to the USA? @Hotshawling,  By the way, I commend you for not falling to the level that N-joy chose to. People who come in insulting those who do not agree with them, make me this picture a nutcase with a computer, hard to chat or discuss anything with those.

Anywho, What I think I see in people who go around assuming that crime is higher in the USA just cause is this sense that just cause they hear of high crime in, say brooklyn ny, means that applies across america. There are so many places across america with hardly a murder a year but you do not hear of those if you live and are focused on NY. I live in a city with low murder and crime rate. we continue to try to reduce the numbers each year though but majority of what we consider crime here is not even considered such in Nigeria.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Njoy1(f): 11:22am On Apr 18, 2008
A country where 17, 034 people were killed in one single year - when there is no war - can not be assumed to be a safe country - embelish it with half truths in any way you like it -
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by crisp: 1:19pm On Apr 18, 2008
I think we need to put things in perspective.

-First, let's define 'crime' in the context of the topic, so that there are no ambiguities. Is the focus on 'big time crime'e.g Murders, kidnapping etc or both petty and big time crime. If the latter is the case, then i may be constrained to agree that as far as petty crimes are concerned, Nigeria has a higher crime rate. While for major crimes like killings, the western world reigns supreme.

True, we have bad data system on crime. True too, even the ones available may not be totally reliable, yet we can discern certain things from simple observation. I do not need figures or statistics to tell me the following:

- A significant proportion of murders commited in the west are racism-inspired - someone just despising the color of another. It is a strong war in the Western world. While Nigeria is not without its share of tribal strifes, this cannot be compared with what obtains in the western world. Nigerains would less likely kill or maim because of differeince in color or race

- A look at some major crimes commited in the Western world (e.g a teenager taking his school mates hostage and eventually killing them and self, random shootings in public places etc) show that suicidal tendencies are more prominent there than in Nigeria. With that kind of tendency,u can expect crime to thrive more. These kind of killings are rampant there. How many suicidal killings by demented souls have u heard of in Nigeria? What is the likelihood that a Nigerian kid would take to killing innocent people on the street to express his abhorence for the fact that he was bullied in school, or of a system/decision or whatever? Slim. The motive and orientation sometimes makes the difference.

-I strongly believe that our value system, take it or leave it, is still much stronger
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Njoy1(f): 1:56pm On Apr 18, 2008
crisp:

I think we need to put things in perspective.

-First, let's define 'crime' in the context of the topic, so that there are no ambiguities. Is the focus on 'big time crime'e.g Murders, kidnapping etc or both petty and big time crime. If the latter is the case, then i may be constrained to agree that as far as petty crimes are concerned, Nigeria has a higher crime rate. While for major crimes like killings, the western world reigns supreme.

True, we have bad data system on crime. True too, even the ones available may not be totally reliable, yet we can discern certain things from simple observation. I do not need figures or statistics to tell me the following:

- A significant proportion of murders commited in the west are racism-inspired - someone just despising the color of another. It is a strong war in the Western world. While Nigeria is not without its share of tribal strifes, this cannot be compared with what obtains in the western world. Nigerains would less likely kill or maim because of differeince in color or race

- A look at some major crimes commited in the Western world (e.g a teenager taking his school mates hostage and eventually killing them and self, random shootings in public places etc) show that suicidal tendencies are more prominent there than in Nigeria. With that kind of tendency,u can expect crime to thrive more. These kind of killings are rampant there. How many suicidal killings by demented souls have u heard of in Nigeria? What is the likelihood that a Nigerian kid would take to killing innocent people on the street to express his abhorence for the fact that he was bullied in school, or of a system/decision or whatever? Slim. The motive and orientation sometimes makes the difference.

-I strongly believe that our value system, take it or leave it, is still much stronger

Thanks Crisp - but look at the general statistics in a year -

1,417,745 - violent
17,034 - murder
92,455 - rape
447,403 --- robbery
862,947 - assault
2,183,746 ---- burglary
6,607,013 ------theft
1,192,809 -----vehicle theft

That means - in a year - the total crime committed accross America is 22, 804, 720 -

So - dont embelish it - crime is crime - big or small - so you are saying that in Nigeria - in on single year - there would have been 22million crimes committed across the country - common - Nigeria is bad - as they will want us to beleive - we agree - but not to the level where there will be a total 23million rapes, murder, theft, burglary, vehicle theft, roberry all summed together in one year. Hey come on!!!!.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by bawomolo(m): 8:07pm On Apr 19, 2008
When guns are being sold openly, it's easy for a few to slip through the cracks

guns are not being sold openly, what are u talking about. do u think a gun salesman would come to your house selling guns?? the paperwork needed to get a gun is very extensive. felons are not allowed to get guns in the US. the black market is another thing

Plus, getting a gun license doesn't imply that you are incapable of committing a crime.

it's a sort of safeguard. getting a drivers license doesn't mean u won't drink and drive either. it's proper protocol.

A young criminal can take his dad's licensed gun from the safe and use it. Etc.

it's not a safe if it is accessible to anyone.

Criminals do not need automated guns to kill.

criminals can use knives and machette to kill people . should we ban those too??

In the western world, if you get into a fight, you may be shot. Do you see the difference?

no i don't see the different, u are stating select incidents as if they are the norm. have seen people in fights without getting shot.

Now what if every jobless good-for-nothing on your street could get a gun through a friend of a friend?

who says guns can't be gotten in nigeria? lol. most of the gun owners in the US are actually hunters or recreational shooters. here we go with the western stereotypes.

If you can protect yourself without taking a life, then you're morally obligated to do so.

it's inevitable in some case.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by angeleses: 2:25pm On Apr 20, 2008
What do you expect - do you expect the people who says Nigeria is bad to agree with you that 17,034 people killed in one year is an high figure?

They will always have something to say to justify their being in a foreign country - worse still - they become proud that they carry an American passport while you carry a Nigerian passport - so, what do you want them to say? They will never agree.

Like it or not - America is a more crime prone country than Nigeria.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by bawomolo(m): 1:57am On Apr 21, 2008
Like it or not - America is a more crime prone country than Nigeria.

yeah naija is much more safe than the US. yeah right
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Cadet(f): 2:12am On Apr 21, 2008
bawomolo:

yeah naija is much more safe than the US. yeah right
cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy Yes na, You go call Nigerian police to come meet you at Ado, they go drive to Lagos, saying they miss road. Naija police sef fears the arm robbers. lipsrsealed
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by 4Him1(m): 2:33am On Apr 21, 2008
N-joy:

Thanks Crisp - but look at the general statistics in a year -

1,417,745 - violent
17,034 - murder
92,455 - rape
447,403 --- robbery
862,947 - assault
2,183,746 ---- burglary
6,607,013 ------theft
1,192,809 -----vehicle theft

That means - in a year - the total crime committed accross America is 22, 804, 720 -

So - don't embelish it - crime is crime - big or small - so you are saying that in Nigeria - in on single year - there would have been 22million crimes committed across the country - common - Nigeria is bad - as they will want us to beleive - we agree - but not to the level where there will be a total 23million rapes, murder, theft, burglary, vehicle theft, roberry all summed together in one year. Hey come on!!!!.

poor comparison on your part. Nigeria is roughly the size of Texas, by simple law of proportions crime rate in the US will be higher than that of Nigeria.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by TheSly: 2:44am On Apr 21, 2008
Crime is low in Nigeria. . . . . worse in America. . .
Its an obvious fact. . . .we dont need to debate on this i think undecided
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Njoy1(f): 3:27pm On Apr 21, 2008
4 Him:

poor comparison on your part. Nigeria is roughly the size of Texas, by simple law of proportions crime rate in the US will be higher than that of Nigeria.

So - why the noise that it cant be so? You have said it - crime rate in the US will be higher than that in Nigeria - thank you.
Re: Crime Rate In Nigeria Vs Crime Rate In America And The Western World by Seun(m): 3:40pm On Apr 21, 2008
4 Him:

You are absolutely right, Mr. Genius.
The population of the country doesn't matter.
All that matters is how much land we have.
Which is why the north pole is the crime capital of the world.
Followed closely by the Sahara desert and Atlantic ocean.
(That was sarcasm, by the way, in case you missed it)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Court Hears Kidnapper Evans’ Case Against Police On July 13 / Fulani Herdsman Not Planning Attack On Abians, Says CP Agbede / Shocker!!! My Husband Is A Serial R.a.p.i.s.t

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.