Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,631 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:12 PM

Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe (1091 Views)

FG Debunks ISIS Figures On Recent Boko Haram Attacks And Killings / Judge My Administration By The Number Of People That Move Out Of Poverty-Buhari / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Replies Critics With Facts & Figures (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe by Kabikala(m): 10:11am On Apr 25, 2013
Facts, figures on Jonathan’s administration
Written by Doyin Okupe Thursday, 25 April 2013

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/component/k2/item/10301-facts-figures-on-jonathan-s-administration

IT has become the penchant of these opposition party leaders to use every platform to denigrate this nation and its government, confuse innocent members of the Public and deceptively present themselves as possessing what it takes to move Nigeria forward. Let me state unequivocally that these individuals do not have any antecedent that support this claim neither do they have the social political structure to move Nigeria forward.

Nigerians will note that the merger which these politicians are putting together is made up of PDP renegades, moribund and lacklustre ANPP which had existed for 13 years without any meaningful impact on the polity, and the ACN which is a one man owned and controlled political party with no form of any internal democratic credential whatsoever and totally devoid of any form of modern liberalism.

The leader of the opposition, Chief Bola Tinubu, who spoke disparagingly about the Federal Government on a number of issues bothering on the economy, democratic governance and social security, was once a governor of one of Nigeria’s richest states for 8 years and we all have a record of what he made of that position. The Bola Tinubu, who spoke about poor budget implementation at the federal level never attained sixty percent budget implementation while he presided over the affairs of Lagos between 1999 and 2003.Contrast this with the remarkable budget implementation record of the present administration in the last two years. The records are there for all to see. Senator Tinubu, who spoke about meager wages for public servants in Nigeria, was known to have ignored calls of Lagos civil servants for a 7,500 Naira monthly wage and when he eventually buckled to the pressure of Labour leaders, he wickedly sacked the major arrow head of the struggle in person of Comrade Ayodele Akele who was never re-instated.

The present National chairman of the ACN, Chief Bisi Akande as Governor of Osun State during the same period denied workers of a 5,500 Naira minimum wage and eventually laid off over 9,000 workers during his four-year reign. Comrade Adams Oshiomale,who was then NLC President and now Governor of Edo state led workers on protest march in Osun State during the period but Chief Akande remained adamant. Where then is the credential of these people to talk about job creation, promotion of workers interest and democratic etiquette?

As I speak with you, Ekiti and Osun states which are being governed by these opposition political parties are embroiled in one form of industrial crisis or the other as a result of the insensitive, cruel and anti-workers policies of their present governors. Local government workers and teachers went on strike in Ekiti and lost a number of their members to sack and other forms victimization. In Osun, tertiary institutions are at present under lock and key. School fees have tripled in institutions of higher learning owned by Ekiti, Lagos, Osun and Oyo states.

Yet, Senator Tinubu spoke of the present government as “heartless and mean that put the interest of small elite above the interest of the common working man and woman who are the backbone of this Nation”

These sets of politicians who want to desperately supplant the Jonathan’s administration are promoting an incongruous alliance of political weaklings and dysfunctional Lilliputians out primarily to foster their ego and psyche being repeatedly frustrated political power mongers; forgetting that one million giant ants can never muster the required strength to lift a concrete pole not to talk of a nationally entrenched pillar and structurally established institution like the PDP.

It is worthy of note that the major plank of this motley assembly, the ACN, is notorious for outsourcing its presidential standard bearer from the ranks of the same PDP they gleefully vilify. In 2003, their choice was Vice President Atiku Abubakar who now knows them better. In 2011, it was a protégé of former President Olusegun Obasanjo Mallam Nuhu Ribadu who fitted the slot although he was later betrayed and sacrificed on the altar of self-interest.

Presently, the debates within the factionalised alliance suggest that they will not mind fielding another PDP stalwart as its presidential flag bearer. It is clear that a party that consistently over a period of 12 years has been unable to find any suitable member from its own rank and file as presidential candidate has clearly exhibited its own structural and ideological weakness and its unsuitability as an organization capable of providing national leadership and can therefore not run an efficient or competent federal government in a country like Nigeria.

Apart from all the above, it is evident that the proposed merger revolves around two personalities only, Senator Ahmed Bola Tinubu and Retired General Muhammed Buhari. Unfortunately, both are heavily burdened political liabilities. We will not dwell much on this for now. The Federal Government under President Goodluck Jonathan will not be distracted by these empty criticisms in its unrelenting drive to transform the social, economic and political landscape of Nigeria.

On the issue of power, which is the highest expectation of citizens from this government, we assure Nigerians that all hands are on deck to ensure delivery of uninterrupted power supply within the shortest possible time. You will recall that this administration inherited 5 major problems in this sector and these are: [1] low generating capacity due to failure to invest in the power sector for 20 years; [2] comatose NIPP projects; [3] poor and inadequate gas infrastructure and supply; [4] dysfunctional and inefficient transmission and distribution capabilities and [5] non achievements of the much-desired privatization agenda.

The Jonathan administration has nearly completely resolved four out of these five challenges; leaving only the fourth item to which sufficient attention is also being dedicated. It is projected that within the next twelve months, the problems affecting transmission and distribution will be substantially resolved.

On infrastructure, Nigerians are already reaping the benefits of government’s investment especially on ongoing road rehabilitation projects some of which are on the verge of completion.

Notable of these are the Kano-Maiduguri, Port Harcourt-Enugu, and the Benin-Ore road which now takes commuters less than three hours as against 13 to 17 hours previously. The second Niger bridge will be completed in the next 24 months other things being equal. As for the Lagos-Ibadan express road, Nigerians and people living in the South West should expect a major pleasant surprise as government is in the process of concluding arrangement on the provision of a first class road project which will be the first of its kind in Nigerai. I can say it on good authority that the Federal Ministry of works has completed the design of this project and its ancillary structures such as security and hospitality facilities.

On rail transportation, Nigerians are beginning to enjoy the revitalization and rehabilitation of Railway services nationwide. The over 5,000 kilometer Lagos-Kano rail line abandoned for over 20 years has been fully rehabilitation and in full use to the admiration and commendation of commuters. The Eastern axis rail line from Port Harcourt to Maiduguri is virtually completed and will be operational very soon. These are land mark achievements which cannot be glossed over.

In the agricultural sector, major strides were achieved in the governments drive to ensure that Nigeria achieves self-sufficiency in rice production. The country produces 3 million MT of rice and imports 2.1 million MT. Through the rice transformation agenda launched one year ago, an additional 690,000 MT of rice was produced in 2012 from the interventions under the rice program. This is 140 per cent higher than the target set for 2012. This means that the domestic rice self-sufficiency rose from 60 per cent to 74 per cent in 2012 – an increase of 14 per cent.

This achievement has not gone unnoticed. Federal Government’s Agricultural Transformation Agenda’s rice production value-chain aimed at achieving self-sufficiency in rice production by 2015 has received recognition from the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), which has projected that the increased rice output in Nigeria and Ghana will make global rice production for 2012 to outpace consumption in 2012/13 year, resulting in an upward revision of 5 million tonnes in 2013 closing inventories.

New fiscal measures were announced by Mr. President raising tariff for brown rice, and levy on imported finished rice, to encourage local rice production. In response, 13 new private sector mills were established in the last 12 months, buying and processing local paddy. The total capacity of the new mills is 240,000 MT. High quality local rice rolled out on commercial scale by Ebony Rice, Ashi Rice, Mikap rice and Umza Rice. The local rice is in the market, displacing imported rice due to high quality, taste and price.

To ensure that Nigeria has in place industrial capacity for international quality grade milled rice that can compete with imports, the Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Finance concluded arrangements to facilitate the acquisition of 100 large scale integrated rice mills, with a total capacity of 2.1 million MT, to be located across the country, owned and operated by the private sector. This is being acquired under a low interest rate facility of $ 1 billion from the China EXIM Bank. For the first time in Nigeria’s history, Nigeria will have the full industrial capacity to mill and replace all the rice it currently imports – and become an exporter of finished rice to other African countries.
Dr Okupe is the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs.
Re: Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe by deeteh(m): 10:40am On Apr 25, 2013
On the Isssue of Ekiti, the present govt is the best the state has ever had. On issue of industrial action it is the opposition in the state that are inciting local govt against the govt, nobody was sacked they were asked to be reposted to their normal DNA after the govt find out most of them are not supposed to be working at the council.
Re: Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe by MrGlobe(m): 11:01am On Apr 25, 2013
ACN needs to step their game up. okupe is always taking them to the cleaners.
Re: Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe by vizboy(m): 3:12pm On Apr 25, 2013
Gej is working.

But he has a lot to do. And for the opposition they have to step up there game as someone already mention. With the present way they are going i dont think they might see the End of the road. Especially when buhari is their presidential candidate for 2015.
Re: Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe by Omen100(m): 3:34pm On Apr 25, 2013
PLEASE SOMEONE/ ANYONE SHOULD SUMMARIZE IT FOR ME, NA BEG I DEY..
Re: Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe by feelamong(m): 4:57pm On Apr 25, 2013
so Dr Okupe what is the cost of garri at Ebute Ero?
Re: Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe by Nobody: 5:08pm On Apr 25, 2013
I've been buying one of the locally produced rice, precisely Ebony rice in the spirit of BUY 9JA. But one funny thing I discovered is that the phone number on the rice bag is wrong number. I'v seen the advert of Ebony rice on the local tv stations here in Enugu but I'm still surprised at the wrong number issue. I thought maybe the company is being imitated.

Another funny thing about Ebony rice is that as soon as the price of imported rice increased due to the newly increased import tarrif, the price of Ebony also followed suit. I thought the locally produced rice would have maintained a relatively lower price to attract more demand. Maybe those who know more about Ebony rice can clarify some of these issues
Re: Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe by OmoTier1(m): 6:08pm On Apr 25, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I've been buying one of the locally produced rice, precisely Ebony rice in the spirit of BUY 9JA. But one funny thing I discovered is that the phone number on the rice bag is wrong number. I'v seen the advert of Ebony rice on the local tv stations here in Enugu but I'm still surprised at the wrong number issue. I thought maybe the company is being imitated.

Another funny thing about Ebony rice is that as soon as the price of imported rice increased due to the newly increased import tarrif, the price of Ebony also followed suit. I thought the locally produced rice would have maintained a relatively lower price to attract more demand. Maybe those who know more about Ebony rice can clarify some of these issues
Will you shut up and stop complaining? Oh, have they also decimated your "cursed" drippings from the Presidency cheesy ...Enjoy your fresh Air jor.... cool
Re: Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 25, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Will you shut up and stop complaining? Oh, have they also decimated your "cursed" drippings from the Presidency cheesy ...Enjoy your fresh Air jor.... cool
Why are you always in a haste to spew thrash? My post was not a complaint, rather it was an observation. Also, my post CONFIRMS that the Ebony rice mentioned by the Op does exist. It is not "paper achievement" or fairy tale. If you must know, those observations have not stopped me from buying Ebony rice. I always buy 9ja, except where none is available. 9ja high quality locally milled rice is the best. Made in 9ja drugs and pharmaceuticals are the best. Made in 9ja electric cables are the best. And so on and so forth.
Buy 9ja, create jobs and buy the best.
Re: Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe by ekoilee: 7:12pm On Apr 25, 2013
All this disjointed daily singing and gyrations by the Ashole Rock clowns means they are running scared .

Damn!!! See endless nonsensical and pointless essay....lmao

The fair of APCis the beginning of wisdom...
Re: Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe by wesley80(m): 7:16pm On Apr 25, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
What is wrong with you?
Re: Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe by Kabikala(m): 4:30pm On Apr 28, 2013
I am of the view that Okupe has provided hard facts which the opposition should controvert if they have better evidence. These are tangible and verifiable assertions and should certainly count as accomplishments by Jonathan unless the opposition can debunk them.

As dumb as he is, I am one to admit that Jona' has made tangible progress in some areas. Whether that is up to expectation, or commensurate with the resources he had, or is the best we can get, are different questions.
Re: Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe by tomakint: 4:42pm On Apr 28, 2013
Once again Dr Doyin Okupe has spoken nothing but the Gospel Truth! This Amalgamation of Political Corrupters and their goons are nothing but political desperados who thrive on cheap blackmailing and weak propaganda cool
Re: Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe by Nobody: 4:53pm On Apr 28, 2013
For once, I give this to Doyin Okupe. He is gradually maturing in this profession of lying.
Re: Facts, Figures On Jonathan’s Administration By Doyin Okupe by IGBOSON1: 5:02pm On Apr 28, 2013
Keneking: For once, I give this to Doyin Okupe. He is gradually maturing in this profession of lying.

^^^Can you highlight the lies you're referring to. Also, can you point out the 'truths' in the original post......unless you're saying that all Okupe said were lies.

Cheers. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Amunition And Bombs Were Found In Amigo And Wonderland Supermarket Abuja / Boko Haram Creates New Hot Movie - Watch Trailer / Susan Rice, The CIA And MKO Abiola's Last Cup Of Tea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.