Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,529 members, 7,819,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:09 AM

Car Jerks When Put In Gear - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Jerks When Put In Gear (16614 Views)

Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! / Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles / Golf 3 Jerks When Accelerating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Jerks When Put In Gear by princemedico: 1:32pm On Apr 27, 2013
I have noticed this jerk(or sudden shake) when you move the gear from P to D or R on my friend's car though he does not see it to be a problem. I went ahead to check the ATF gauge but it seems ok (the oil was not below the minimum mark). What could be the problem and possible solution?
Thanks in advance.
Re: Car Jerks When Put In Gear by DAY12(m): 2:02pm On Apr 27, 2013
Gear problem or you need to change the gear seat!
Re: Car Jerks When Put In Gear by princemedico: 11:37pm On Apr 30, 2013
105 views and only one reply. Is it that my plight is not understood, where is Mr Siena, Trac, Ikenna and other, yours contribution is needed.
@DAY11 thanks for your reply.
Re: Car Jerks When Put In Gear by wwwkaycom(m): 2:20am On May 01, 2013
Let your mechanic check the engine and gear sittings, its likely going to be bad. Have them changed if it is, its not usually expensive. But if its gear problem, you may have to look for money for replacement of the gear as most mechanics around dont really know how to work on these auto trans. I angrily sold my former Toyota Camry Orobo after two mechanics who claimed to be versed in auto trans rebuilding messed up the whole thing. I was about buying a tokunbo gear when I came across this forum and saw many members speaking in favour of manual gears. I bought a manual and now enjoy my rest of mind. No more jacking and high banging when moved from P to D, no more expensive gear servising, no more extortion and ripping off by so called "auto trans experts".

2 Likes

Re: Car Jerks When Put In Gear by domack99(m): 7:01am On May 01, 2013
I experience such recently but my was as a result of gear slippage. There few factors that could cause this or could be the gear want to pack up itself. Since the oil level is normal as you said, you might want to check/clean or probably replace the ATF oil filter, while doing this, ask your mechanic to filter the oil and use it to flush the transmission path and then pour into the transmission an entirely new ATF.
The question is what make the filter block, if its as a result of wear from the gear system itself then then this is a temporary solution but if its ATF worn out, then you are good.

The gear selector could be another part you might want to check, hope your car is a toyota, so that you can easily borrow one to test the performance before buying.
Re: Car Jerks When Put In Gear by Nobody: 6:18pm On May 01, 2013
Before mechanics begin to fiddle, your friend might need to ease up on brake force before switching gears. He apply as little force as possible when changing gears. If that doesn't help, try dismantling the gear and cleaning it up the insides. Cheers.
Re: Car Jerks When Put In Gear by MicroBox: 6:54am On May 02, 2013
@Domack99 pls where is ATF filter located in honda academy. My keep blinking continously and i have to drive a bit far before the gear would change some times the distance covered before it would change will be lenghly so pls i need your advice on what might be the fault. Pls Auto mechanic in my region are dummie i preffer to have the idea and hint them on what to do in order to save my car from total distruction.
Re: Car Jerks When Put In Gear by domack99(m): 7:35am On May 02, 2013
MicroBox: @Domack99 pls where is ATF filter located in honda academy. My keep blinking continously and i have to drive a bit far before the gear would change some times the distance covered before it would change will be lenghly so pls i need your advice on what might be the fault. Pls Auto mechanic in my region are dummie i preffer to have the idea and hint them on what to do in order to save my car from total distruction.

The ATF filter is part of the gear system, you can ask your mechanic to locate it.
Can you elaborate more on what you mean by blinking continouosly.
Re: Car Jerks When Put In Gear by CHIMCO(m): 7:31pm On May 05, 2013
Pls i have problems with my merc 300 6 plugs engine. After the mechanic change the whole 6 plugs, i dicovered that if i shift my gear from p to R it will go back a little and stoped, i will shift it again to p and r again it will go back and stoped but D works perfectly. 1 dont know what will be the cause. I need your advice.
Re: Car Jerks When Put In Gear by elviszzz: 1:02am On May 07, 2013
Have the car scanned both engine and transmission,erase all error codes on both d engine n transmission. What car in particular is ur friend driving?

(1) (Reply)

Warning Lights To Observe On The Dashboard. / How To Read Traffic Signs: Recognizing Shapes And Colors / Everyone Is Dumping Sedans For Crossovers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.