Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,391 members, 7,958,117 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 09:05 AM

Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. (1747 Views)

Father, Two Daughters Die In Lagos Explosion (photos) / Husband Beats Pregnant wife for flogging his Dog...! / The Cry Of A Heartbroken Nigerian Husband In Houston whose wife cheated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by Raymond4kc: 6:03pm On Apr 27, 2013
As you read this, one of our sisters, Onyeka Lucy Asonye is currently cooling off at a jail in Houston for severely “flogging” her two daughters. SoutheastNigeria.com learnt that the two daughters were adopted from Nigeria.
According to the prosecutors, 46yr old Onyeka Asonye , faces two counts of felony injury to a child, court records show. A judge denied bail for Asonye, who was being held Monday at the Harris County Jail.

A daycare worker called investigators March 1 when she noticed the 3-year-old girl had a large bump on her forehead and a swollen and shut eye, according to an arrest warrant filed in the case. Both the toddler and her sister, 4, had multiple bruises and scars over their entire bodies.
A physician at Texas Children’s Hospital reported that the 3-year-old had multiple abrasions and healing scars to her back, abdomen, chest and legs, had swelling to both hands, suffered a possible abdominal injury, and had a puncture wound to her right scalp, prosecutors said.
The 4-year-old sustained multiple abrasions and healing scars to her trunk/back, and also suffered a possible abdominal injury, the physician stated.
Investigators said that Asonye struck both girls with a stick, and pushed the 4-year-old against a wall.
Questioned by police, she initially denied that she hurt her daughters. She later confessed tocausing some of the scars and bruising to the girls by “flogging” them with sticks at their home, prosecutors said.
“The defendant stated she did not hit the complainant’s (victims) in a specific place, but where is closest to her at the moment when she hits them,” the arrest warrant states.
She told police, “I wasn’t trying to abuse them I want the best for them and myself that is the only reason I beat them,” prosecutors said.
Asonye adopted the girls from Nigeria as infants and has had full custody of them since 2011. Before this incident, Asonye lived alone with the girls who are now in the custody of Child Protective services. Otua ka odi.

source : http://www.southeastnigeria.com/blog/2013/04/27/nigerian-woman-jailed-in-houston-for-flogging-her-two-daughters/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by Rapmaestro(m): 6:07pm On Apr 27, 2013
Nowhere can be like home, where u go carry pestle dey pursue ur pikin
Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:09pm On Apr 27, 2013
She think say she still dey Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by bebe2(f): 6:48pm On Apr 27, 2013
Good for her, I bet she will lose the kids after all this.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by Acidosis(m): 6:49pm On Apr 27, 2013
Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by Nobody: 6:55pm On Apr 27, 2013
Where else does she deserve to be if not jail? Thank God for those kids that she is as dumb as a sack of rocks. Psychotic witch!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by damiso(f): 6:56pm On Apr 27, 2013
No one is saying spare the rod but flogging a 3 and 4 yr old till they actually have scars is abuse.No other word but abuse.Haba these are preschoolers we are talking about.
Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by Acidosis(m): 6:56pm On Apr 27, 2013
wat!! never knew she adopted the kids!
Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 27, 2013
Those kids would end up in foster homes eventually = in many instances even worse than living with adoptive parents ( sexually abused by foster siblings/parents). Jesus Christ! I wondered why she brought them in the first place to spite them... Some people are just mean! Hitting a 3 year old with a stick , toddler that can barely tell her right hand from left.
Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by Chaulay1: 7:13pm On Apr 27, 2013
When I saw the topic, I thought the daughters in question would be teenagers. But going through the content, wow, beating a 3 and a 4year old like that, she really deserves to be jailed. Why did she adopt them in the first place? To abuse, maltreat and transfer aggression to them? If she gave birth to them herself, is that how she would treat them? I doubt it. Some people are better off without children cos they don't have any motherly love running in their blood.

@OP, Infact, the topic needs to be changed cos this scenario is more than flogging o. And in your opening sentence you said one of OUR sisters.... Abeg, she is not my sister o ,
Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by coogar: 8:31pm On Apr 27, 2013
she actually adopted the kids - no wonder she was so brutal to cause GBH. what a shame!!!
Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by Nobody: 9:47pm On Apr 27, 2013
Kids can be very annoyin,but one of d gr8st challange of parents is knowing how to correct w'out hittin or flogn especially if one grew up in such culture.also d bible (for xtian) didn't make it easier on parents and guardians,so every beatin is justified by that quote.I hope dis will one day be applicable to naija where children are flogd like hausa cows with koboko.serves her right!hope others will learn
Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by Nobody: 11:09pm On Apr 27, 2013
Rap maestro: Nowhere can be like home, where u go carry pestle dey pursue ur pikin
io wonder why we incorporate violence as child training,violence even on toddlers is sickening,whatever makes you think violence will make them wise or make them refrain from what you are beating them for,punishments will be better like kneeling down or grounding her e.g no toys,no tv for one week,no visitations etc,that will be more like it.any small thing violence,no wonder we have wild and brash kids all over nigeria.i wonder when we will remove the psyche of violence from our system,smh
Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by Ivynwa(f): 12:17am On Apr 28, 2013
The topic of the thread should be changed into "Nigerian woman jailed for abusing children" because she didn't just flog them with all those everlasting scars described there as given to them by the woman. She deserves to be jailed, I mean she she is getting served in her own coins. Why adopt children to go maltreat them? Fr*aking woman.
Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by biolabee(m): 12:20am On Apr 28, 2013
Ivynwa: The topic of the thread should be changed into "Nigerian woman jailed for abusing children" because she didn't just flog them with all those everlasting scars described there as given to them by the woman. She deserves to be jailed, I mean she she is getting served in her own coins. Why adopt children to go maltreat them? Fr*aking woman.

abi.. n the owners of the kid will have hoped for a better yanki life for these pikins
Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by obowunmi(m): 1:13pm On Apr 28, 2013
cry cry
Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by Nobody: 7:55pm On Apr 28, 2013
Sad story. People are too quick to condemn the woman. Likely that was how she was raised as a child. So the only way of changing "bad" behaviour in her kids is flogging. She did it out of ignorant love and not a deliberate attempt to maltreat the kids.
What she needs is training on how to be a good parent, close supervision by social services. Should this fail then separation. Taking kids away is a disaster in most cases to their emotional well being. The stats are there for all to see. Fostered and adopted away kids struggle.
Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by dominique(f): 10:49pm On Apr 29, 2013
Not that you shouldn't spank them every now and them when they're being naughty, but inflicting injuries? Common! Hope she serves every single minute of her jail time without the possibility of parole.
Re: Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. by MMotimo: 11:35pm On Apr 29, 2013
Beating children to the extent of scarring is no longer about punishment. It's about the adult taking out their personal frustrations on weaker beings.

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS : Hungry Woman Bares Breast At Court Premises In Lagos / His Wife Asking For His Facebook Password. / Who Needs More Discipline While Growing Up?the Male Or Female Child?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.