Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

Microprocessors - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Microprocessors (937 Views)

Whats It About Microprocessors And Fans? / Overclocking Microprocessors, How Necessary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microprocessors by pinkette(f): 5:14pm On Apr 14, 2008
Pls can someone tell me the differences between a microprocessor and microcontroller?
Re: Microprocessors by Visafone: 6:06pm On Apr 14, 2008
na the same
Re: Microprocessors by Maleeq(m): 10:52am On Apr 15, 2008
Microprocessor:
A microprocessor incorporates most or all of the functions of a central processing unit (CPU) on a single integrated circuit (IC). That is, it has Logic and arithmetic units. But alone, the microprocessor is nothing. It has to be interconnected with other devices (I/O ports, Memory devices etc) for it to function. . .but it still forms the heart of the entire control process.
The microprocessor can not be referred to as a computer but it does form the heart of one.

Microcontroller:
A microcontroller is by definition, a computer on a chip. It includes all the necessary parts (including the memory) all in one IC. You just need to apply the power (and possibly clock signal) to that device and it starts executing the program programmed into it. A microcontroller generally has the main CPU core, ROM/EPROM/EEPROM/FLASH, RAM and some accessory functions (like timers and I/O controllers) all intergated into one chip. The original idea behind the microcontroller was to limit the capabilities of the CPU itself, allowing a complete computer (memory, I/O, interrupts, etc) to fit on the available silicon real estate.

Microcontrollers are typically used where processing power isn't so important. More important are generally compact construction, small size, low power consumption and that those chips are cheap. For example controlling a microwave oven is easily accomplished with the smallest of microcontrollers. There are countless number of small electronic devices which are nowadays based on microcontroller. A modern home can include easily tens or hundreds of microcontrollers, as almost every modern device which has electronics has a microcontroller (or more than one) inside.

Final Word:
A microncontroller is a "complete computer" that has a microprocessor(CPU), I/O Devices, memory and other peripherals all on a single chip, while the microprocessor is the heart of it : it still needs other devices to be interconnected for it to function. A microncontroller, in features and possibilities, is a stripped down version of a microprocessor.

You can read more about them here:
Microprocessor
Microcontroller
Re: Microprocessors by sbucareer(f): 11:36am On Apr 21, 2008

Just want to share more light to the topic. Micro by definition is an object measured to be smaller than an object that can be scale of focus.

Integrated Circuit is a board that contains probably hundreds and millions of microchip, silicon chip or chips, altogether form a miniaturize electronic circuit.

Some IC (Integrated Circuit) is dedicated to specific tasks and some are open to generic functions. Example of dedicated IC is watches, calculator, washing machine and toaster. At the other hand the generic IC is computer, mobile phone etc.

A microprocessor is a generic IC and can be used for any microprocessing tasks, whilst microcontroller is used for a dedicated task like lunch a missile.

I hope this helps.

(1) (Reply)

Downloads / How To Prepare For 2010 / Facebook Addiction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.