Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,114 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Overclocking Microprocessors, How Necessary? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Overclocking Microprocessors, How Necessary? (895 Views)

Whats It About Microprocessors And Fans? / Be A Software Engineer: No Experience Necessary / Microprocessors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Overclocking Microprocessors, How Necessary? by ro8127: 2:13am On Apr 15, 2010
I've been looking into overclocking my CPU for a little performance upgrade, and I've been wondering whether it's actually worth the risk. It's my understanding that there are issues you are bound to face after overclocking your CPU, one being increased heat output, meaning you'd probably have to instigate alternate cooling methods to ensure proper cooling of the overclocked CPU seeing that standard heat sinks and fans aren't ideal for overclocked systems. I'm all for any opinions and/or info from those that know anything about it. Thanks smiley

-[n3rve]
Re: Overclocking Microprocessors, How Necessary? by Thelonius: 10:38am On Apr 17, 2010
Overclocking used to be cool back in the days when CPUs were at break-neck prices, were still in the hundreds MHz and you needed that extra processing power. If your processor is in the Ghz range you can only push say 50hz or 100hz more. You need a bigger fan and an extra dab of thermal paste. Final word, don't do it if you can't handle the possible burnout of your processor.

1 Like

Re: Overclocking Microprocessors, How Necessary? by jidobaba(m): 4:50pm On Apr 17, 2010
Generally, its safer to use a software to overclock( if you must),rather than trying to tamper with your hardware. there's this GMABooster used to automatically overclock intel processors. it is quite safe to use, with good gains. there's also some others, just google.
I assume you want to overclock to enhance gaming. On my Hp Mini 5101 grin, GMABooster overclocked from 133 to 400Mhz made PES06 gameplay much better. seemed the underside of the machine was hotter but am sure was my imagination

(1) (Reply)

Fairly And Neatly Used Acer Aspire 5720z Laptop For Sale / Advice Me On A Laptop That I Can Get For 70k / How To Access Your Pc Files On Your Android Devices W/o BT Or Usb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.