Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,458 members, 7,954,795 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:35 AM

Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja (25763 Views)

Canal Being Blocked In Agungi, Lekki. / Qatar Air Blocked From Plying Kano Route / 5 Nigerians Die In Car Crash In New York After Disobeying Traffic Lights (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 10:03pm On Apr 30, 2013
For a very long time, I've being seeing these dead street lights everyday in & around the town, with the hope that they will be repaired, but nothing is being done up till this moment. When I talk about maintenance culture which Nigeria as a country is lacking, some people on this forum will often attack me.

6 Likes

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Rossikk(m): 10:24pm On Apr 30, 2013
Where are your pictures??
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 10:55pm On Apr 30, 2013
Pics?
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 11:36pm On Apr 30, 2013
Sorry guys, the network around here's so phucking bad. I'm still trying.

Pictures of blocked drainage channels below.

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 11:48pm On Apr 30, 2013
emmysenior: Sorry guys, the network around here's so phucking bad. I'm still trying.

You must be using MTN You better port now

9 Likes

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by soma042(m): 11:54pm On Apr 30, 2013
dotNaira:

You must be using MTN You better port now

you mean from PDP to apc ??

5 Likes

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by redsun(m): 11:54pm On Apr 30, 2013
emmysenior: Sorry guys, the network around here's so phucking bad. I'm still trying.

You don't need to worry about picture,we know you are speeaking the truth.I can vividly picture it from thousands of miles away.

Nigeria is tougher and more disorganized when you hear from the horses mouth.From those that does not benefit from the ills of the politicians,the innocents and the victims.

It is a country where everybody takes laws into their hands as long as they can buy the police and the judges. Literally a lawless country.

3 Likes

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 12:21am On May 01, 2013
A drainage channel covered with grasses. grin

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 12:25am On May 01, 2013
Another dead traffic light.

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 12:31am On May 01, 2013
cheesy A traffic warden suffering in the hot sun as a result of no maintenance culture.

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 12:42am On May 01, 2013
This one is in Area 8; These slabs were removed for a purpose since last year, and ever since then, nobody have made any attempt to fix them back, there by making the drainage channel open to all garbages.

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by omaigala(m): 12:50am On May 01, 2013
Modes front page pls..

2 Likes

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by free2ryhme: 12:58am On May 01, 2013
a nation in disarray
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by thelastPope(m): 1:34am On May 01, 2013
You guys are very silly. Please get your lazy azzes from your couch (if you actually have one) and go get a job. Ridiculous!
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by thelastPope(m): 1:49am On May 01, 2013
If you've driven across the US—or even across a state line or two—you've probably noticed that the roads you're driving on suck. They suck more more than a string of gas station bathrooms, more than hundreds of bug carcasses on your windshield.

Our roads are riddled with potholes and cracks and bumpy asphalt band-aids over more potholes and cracks. It's bad. And it's our fault.

Once upon a time, our roads were even worse. In 1919, the War Department organized a 72-vehicle convoy to go from east coast to west as a sort of army toughness publicity stunt. A young Dwight Eisenhower, then a lieutenant colonel in the army, volunteered to go along. Sure, the east coast had lots of paved roads, but west of the Mississippi it was sand paths for miles. It took the group two months to get from Washington DC to San Francisco—3200 miles at an average speed of 6 miles per hour. As Geoffrey Perret points out in his Ike biography, "The world's richest country slowed down by some of the world's worst roads."

Fast forward almost 40 years and the 34th president was finally in a position to do something about the problem. Between Eisenhower's push in the 1950s and now, the Interstate Highway System has laid 42,795 miles of roads across the country. The goal was to get them down as quickly as possible, which turned the future into something a lot less far away. These roads were not build to last forever—not even close.

More in link below

http://gizmodo.com/5857416/why-american-roads-are-so-bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrEKZS-LYH0

[url=More Links]http://www.google.com.ng/imgres?imgurl=http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/09/large_bad-road.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/09/stimulus-funds-not-targeting-nations-worst-roads/&h=304&w=453&sz=69&tbnid=BKxqM_2-IeSzxM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=134&zoom=1&usg=__iB714s3Hi4GjJNzz8_90zYgG_Q4=&docid=fLbVMpE3dOVNVM&sa=X&ei=MGOAUaP2M4SDO9DMgbAP&ved=0CDoQ9QEwAQ&dur=1283[/url]

3 Likes

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by thelastPope(m): 1:57am On May 01, 2013
More

2 Likes

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by thelastPope(m): 2:01am On May 01, 2013
My point is simple. It is good to criticize government to keep them on their toes and move Nigeria forward but such criticisms must be intelligent. Not some dumb posts and thread like this one. Abuja is amongst one of the finest cities in Africa. Like many other beautifl african cities, it also has its flaws. Joburg is full of many shanties and slums. Focus on criticising policies of government that will move Nigeria forward, not opening some cheap attention seeking thread

13 Likes

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 2:11am On May 01, 2013
Don't compare sleep to death, bro, You have to drive far in order to see bad roads in America. You don't have to drive too far before you see bad roads anywhere you go in Nigeria. The mud road you posted there is a train track and not for motorist. Those roads you showed are what are known as back roads and they are not maintained because they are hardly used by motorists. Roads are well maitained in the U.S compared to Nigeria where after roads are constructed, they are going to be negleted for many years to come. Have you noticed that major roads in U.S have certain maintenance date they are re-paved regardless of whether the roads are bad or not? Certain dates are set aside for maintenance and nothing stops the engineers from maintaining the roads as the dates approach. These road are maintained every 36 months after they are constructed.

16 Likes

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Popowaa: 3:59am On May 01, 2013
Naija
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 7:55am On May 01, 2013
payless: Don't compare sleep to death, bro, You have to drive far in order to see bad roads in America. You don't have to drive too far before you see bad roads anywhere you go in Nigeria. The mud road you posted there is a train track and not for motorist. Those roads you showed are what are known as back roads and they are not maintained because they are hardly used by motorists. Roads are well maitained in the U.S compared to Nigeria where after roads are constructed, they are going to be negleted for many years to come. Have you noticed that major roads in U.S have certain maintenance date they are re-paved regardless of whether the roads are bad or not? Certain dates are set aside for maintenance and nothing stops the engineers from maintaining the roads as the dates approach. These road are maintained every 36 months after they are constructed.
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 8:13am On May 01, 2013
This goes to those kicking against my move to create this thread. I didn't do it to tarnish anybody's image or for political purpose.
I am no politician & I am not jobless.
Once upon a time, sincere 9igerian & some others that I've forgotten their monikas attacked me for kicking against maintenance culture that our government lacks, therefore, this thread is aimed at opening the eyes of their minds.

15 Likes

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by omaigala(m): 9:03am On May 01, 2013
thelastPope: You guys are very silly. Please get your lazy azzes from your couch (if you actually have one) and go get a job. Ridiculous!

Mr man! Calm down. But it is the truth na.
Our country lacks maintenance culture. I think this will move the rulers not the leaders to step up & sit up.
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by phantom(m): 10:11am On May 01, 2013
Every bloody thread in this section is politicised...na wa o! @op...it ll get worse.

1 Like

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Kairoseki77: 10:20am On May 01, 2013
THIS is a useful picture thread. cheesy

Unlike the pics people have been posting just to shame Naija, this is actually useful.
The people in charge in Abuja probably have no idea that these specific lights, and that these specific drainage channels, are not functioning properly. Once this comes to their attention, they might take action.

WE HOPE...

Mods, put this on the front page ABEG!

1 Like

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 9:14am On May 02, 2013
phantom: Every bloody thread in this section is politicised...na wa o! @op...it ll get worse.

This is thread is not politically motivated, it is the sole truth that our leaders lacks maintenance culture, or are you disputing the fact?
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by phantom(m): 12:20pm On May 02, 2013
emmysenior:

This is thread is not politically motivated, it is the sole truth that our leaders lacks maintenance culture, or are you disputing the fact?
my post agreed with you.that was why i said it would get worse because of poor maintenance culture.the politicising i talked about was in reference to earlier posters
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 02, 2013
phantom: my post agreed with you.that was why i said it would get worse because of poor maintenance culture.the politicising i talked about was in reference to earlier posters
Very well then.
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by EkoIle1: 2:05pm On May 02, 2013
na today?

Eight public facilities that have gone extinct in Abuja

http://premiumtimesng.com/slideshows/eight-public-facilities-that-have-gone-extinct-in-abuja
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by lifestyle1(m): 3:38pm On May 02, 2013
undecided
Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by gramci: 3:39pm On May 02, 2013
op there is nothing on these pictures you posted to authenticate the location of the pictures apart from this one.

it could be anywhere.

Re: Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja by Inik(m): 3:45pm On May 02, 2013
Poor maintenance culture is the bane of development in Nigeria

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Xenophobic Attacks: Travel Warning From Nigerian Government / This UK Life Sef (Series) / South-African Policeman Tears Nigerian's Passport To Pieces (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.