Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,546 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

Can Prayers Change Nigeria? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Prayers Change Nigeria? (3096 Views)

5 Reasons Why Christians Dont Receive Answers To Their Prayers / Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? / Can Prayers Change Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by GM008: 11:54am On Apr 15, 2008
As you all are aware this nation is going through a series of challenges in the areas of politics, law and order, health, education to name just a few. Due to the endemic nature of these challenges do you think seeking divine intervention to librate this nation from its current state of decadence is an option? If so let us share your comments.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by doyin13(m): 12:07pm On Apr 15, 2008
Well. . . . . . . . . it hasn't so far has it?
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 12:30pm On Apr 15, 2008
@ Poster, please, Let us stop. Religion without action is nothing. We have seen it over and over. We have seen it from the very beginning and we will continue to see it. Nigeria does not need more prayer. We have all kinds of gods in that country but yet to solve the problem in that country.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by GM008: 12:53pm On Apr 15, 2008
@Kobojunkie - As a Nigerian I feel you but my question now is what kind of action do we now have to take?
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 12:56pm On Apr 15, 2008
GM008:

@Kobojunkie - As a Nigerian I feel you but my question now is what kind of action do we now have to take?

STOP PRAYING and basically start pushing as much as you can against government. Sign Petitions to change government. Fight Government. Get Electricity and the door is half way open .
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by coolier(f): 12:56pm On Apr 15, 2008
no.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 2:00pm On Apr 15, 2008
well the last 30years or so should answer your question.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by almondjoy(f): 3:05pm On Apr 15, 2008
Of course, for the worse only. . . prayers to some blind and  deaf gods!  Since the people are dumb! grin  Remember. . . in his own image and likeness. . . remember.

The dummies keep mumbling and the deaf gods keep re-adjusting their hearing aids while looking for where all those meaningless noises are coming from, since they are blind also.  Things can only change for the WORSE! grin

A nation of mental and physical handicaps praying to one who made them in their own image and likeness.

What a pathetic combination! grin
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by GM008: 1:23pm On Apr 16, 2008
As Nigerians I think we should not forget the fact that the reason our country is not yet in flames is because of the prayers that are being said on a daily basis for our beloved country - If you listen to the news you should be aware of what our fellow Africans are going /have gone through (Liberia, Ruwanda, Dafur etc) and I praythat same fate will not befall our country.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 2:20pm On Apr 16, 2008
lol u think liberians, rwandan's and sudanese people aren't religious too?? get real
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by oldie(m): 3:03pm On Apr 16, 2008
Prayer in this context is defeatist, an after thought and escapist
Knowingly commit crime and ask for forgiveness?
Prayers dont solve natioanal problems.
The people do
Dont allow any pastor or Imam deceive you!
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 11:41am On Apr 17, 2008
I can definitely say that I believe we continue to pray for the wrong things as a people. People are more apt to praying for someone else to be changed so they can gain one thing or another but are less likely to ask God to change them so they can affect their community in a positive way. From my experience with Africans, I believe each one of us needs to change from the inside out cause that to me is the only way to get us to stop being wicked to our own and blaming everyone else for our actions. There seems to exist very little sense of responsibility, almost no sense of brother hood among us as a people.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by Kaestro(m): 12:51pm On Apr 17, 2008
Why do we need prayers? I believe the major issues we have are physical and can only be dealt with in that manner.
No pun intended.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by anonimi: 1:14pm On Apr 17, 2008
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by temisafety: 8:46am On Apr 19, 2008
Answer is YES. Prayer can cause miracle to happen. Miracles DO happen. There have been people/nations who were "nobody" and suddenly things turned around for them and they became forces to reckon with. Many have had good and bad experiences at different times. Nigeria is having her own share and her case is not even the worst.
One reason prayer is important is that turnarounds are usually not by one's own ability, so to say. Rather, it is circumstances that produced them. This is common and scriptural. When God hears one's prayer, he causes circumstances to change and then the chain effects follow, and vice versa.
Like somebody said what we all need do is fulfill our own parts. Pray, work and do the correct things. Prayer/faith without work is dead, says the Bible. Nigeria is great and this is prophetic. So have faith.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by anonimi: 9:13am On Apr 19, 2008
temisafety:

Like somebody said what we all need do is fulfill our own parts. Pray, work and do the correct things. Prayer/faith without work is dead, says the Bible. Nigeria is great and this is prophetic. So have faith.

I don't know why you had to tuck the highlighted portion away in your response. Anyway thanks for making reference to these two issues without which prayers may be to no avail as you will notice throughout Christ's ministry. Otherwise even when the miracle as in opportunity comes up you will not even recognise it talk less of using it. I hope you know tha the correct things include holding OUR representatives (leaders) accountable to us.
Nigeria has had and continues to have its miracle with the oil boom since the 70s. While prayerless(?) countries such as Saudi, Dubai/UAE, Quatar etc have transformed their societies we have regressed backwards.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by Backslider(m): 6:28pm On Apr 19, 2008
Dont stop praying the prayers are working there is a gradual change but there will be a massive one soon. I am currently in Nigeria and there has been alot of things i have seen God has not left Naija
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:37am On Apr 20, 2008
@ poster, sure prayer changes things
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by Cayon(f): 6:59pm On Apr 20, 2008
olrotimi

I agree with you. Yes, prayer changes everything. Our sins, our actions, our words, our relationships and even how we pray can all hinder our prayers from being heard. However, sometimes we expect the answers of our prayers to be quick and now
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by TheSly: 7:02pm On Apr 20, 2008
Ok lets pray. . . . . . .
Seriously i dont know why you people keep deceiving yourselves up in here. undecided
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by Cayon(f): 7:16pm On Apr 20, 2008
cheesy cheesy
The Sly:

Ok lets pray. . . . . . .
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by 4Him1(m): 7:20pm On Apr 20, 2008
While your heads are bowed in insincere prayer, your government officials are busy looting the nation.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by mazaje(m): 11:50pm On Apr 20, 2008
Please for those of you who are advocating prayers i will like you to list one country which was changed by prayers alone.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 1:36am On Apr 21, 2008
the looting government officials probably pray with them too during sunday service or friday kirun at the mosque.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by anonimi: 11:28am On Apr 21, 2008
more often than not, the Looters-in-Power (LIPs), will be seated upfront closest to the pastor/i'mam. before/during and after prayers/service you can expect some fellow worshippers trying to get access to these LIPs for connection so they can get some juicy positions in government or private sector to tap into their own blessings as well. thus the cycle of suffering in the midst of plenty continues.
in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty - Bob Marley.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 11:35am On Apr 21, 2008
anonimi:

more often than not, the Looters-in-Power (LIPs), will be seated upfront closest to the pastor/i'mam. before/during and after prayers/service you can expect some fellow worshippers trying to get access to these LIPs for connection so they can get some juicy positions in government or private sector to tap into their own blessings as well. thus the cycle of suffering in the midst of plenty continues.
in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty - Bob Marley.

My friend, the post in bold covers not just your LIPS but the foolish african people who continue to let them get away with their wickedness on a daily basis, while they wait for a messiah to save them from their personal choice to live in mediocrity.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by anonimi: 12:17pm On Apr 21, 2008
Kobojunkie:

My friend, the post in bold covers not just your LIPS but the foolish african people who continue to let them get away with their wickedness on a daily basis, while they wait for a messiah to save them from their personal choice to live in mediocrity.

many many thanks for raising this messiah issue.
that's why many naija (& african) people dey wait sojaman like Rawlings to come clear way for jagajaga. however even Ghana's success is mainly because the people stood up against any tenure extension and/or candidate imposition by Rawlings. moreover the messiah will need to be true to his purpose and not get carried away by the spoils of power after RISKING his life and the future of his family to save his fellow citizens- a very tall order especially compared to the God endowed capabilities we have as individuals to make a change in our society.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by andrewdg(m): 3:16pm On Apr 21, 2008
A woman complained to her doctor of being tired of the exercise given to her to reduce her weight; she said she is not seeing any improvement, and that she always regain the weight she had lost after some time. When the doctor calculated all the weight she has lost on different occassions and plus it to her present weight, she realized how extremely fat she would have been, and went back to exercise with vigor.
If not for prayers, only God knows what this country would have become. Nigeria needs prayer! but also, the citizens needs to change their towards this great nation. stop being pessimistic, many countries have had their bad days; including USA(the great depression). Keep praying and working.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by liftedone(f): 9:57am On Apr 23, 2008
Luke 18:1: Then Jesus spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
1Timothy 2:1-3: Therefore, I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peacable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour.
1Thessalonians 5:17: Pray without ceasing.
Romans 12:12: rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer.
Ephesians 6:12,18: For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the spirit.

Yes, let's pray. Things may not be changing at the rate we may want them to but there are many changes occuring that should encourage us to more prayers.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by komekn(m): 2:03pm On Apr 23, 2008
Prayer changes everything, but prayer without faith is not prayer, its wishful thinking. Faith is an action it takes faith to obey God, you believe him and trust him so you put your faith in him. 1 Peter 5:7 & John 15: 13

Faith in action is standing up for righteousness, its not looking the other way when something is going wrong(dem deh thief you no talk) and saying its none of your business, for evil to rise all it takes is for the righteous to be quite, so great quite and great EVIL results.

If Nigerians who are called by his name will not declare righteousness by standing up and being counted there will no miraculous divine intervention. The righteous will face persecution. The refusal to believe God and fear him is simply sin, and our failure to challenge evil and wickedness in high places for fear of persecution or loss of favour, simply means you fear man more than God.

If God has put you in a position it’s for you to be an ambassador of Christ not yourself, do not be deceived you will have your reward and it may not be in heaven.

Explain to me thousands of spirit filled Christians in places of authority in every area imaginable (including aso rock, the two houses of the legislature, etc ,etc.) yet no difference are they professing Christ but serving a different master.

All the Bishops, Arch Bishop’s, Pastors & Overseers all quite when Uncle Shege was doing what he was doing, they too will have their reward, to whom much is given, much, much is expected.

But keep praying faithfully with action.

I TIRE OH !!!
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by liftedone(f): 4:42pm On Apr 23, 2008
@komekn, no tire oh! LOL.

Seriously, though, I think we do really need to sit ourselves down and ask a few hard questions why things still remain the way they are, in spite of all the prayers. Indeed there's need for accountability in the body of Christ. There's a practice of turning a blind eye in christendom which is really disgusting. If we who are called by his name, humble ourselves, turn from our wicked ways and pray then and only then will he hear from heaven and heal our land. As long as we regard iniquity in our hearts he will not hear us. We need a revolution in christendom, a new way of thinking and facing issues clearly. What has happened to correction, instructions in righteousness, suffering as good soldiers of Jesus Christ and not entangling ourselves in civilian matters? There's much to be desired in Christianity in Nigeria. And prayer may look defeatist to some, but no action can be taken unless we pray first. And let that revolution start with the man in the mirror.
Re: Can Prayers Change Nigeria? by komekn(m): 8:06pm On Apr 23, 2008
Liftdone,

I agree with you, prayer first and prayer results in acts of faith, God is not calling us to be successful in the worldly scheme of things he's calling us to be faithfull in all things righteous, civilian, political, socail, legal, financial, etc, etc.

Silence is and remains consent, let us not be deceived.

The fear of God is the beginning of all wisdom, the love of God is obedience to his word.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Your Soul Is More Precious Than The Whole World / Taribo West & Co Honors Daddy Adeboye / The God Of Enoch Adeboye, Bishop Oyedepo:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.