Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,483 members, 7,816,143 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Career Or Money? Please Advise A Confused Graduate. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Or Money? Please Advise A Confused Graduate. (1080 Views)

A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise / My Boss Nags Each Time Its Time To Pay Salary. Please Advise Me. / Funding Your Career Or Ideas In 60 Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Or Money? Please Advise A Confused Graduate. by oremisussan: 7:53am On May 02, 2013
Hi peeps,

I have tried so hard to make that decision on my own, but by the hour, it becomes even increasingly difficult doing so.

I have been quite fortunate never to have stayed jobless since graduation. There is absolutely none of my efforts or shrewdness in this - I have just been one lucky young man.

Before NYSC call-up, I got a job which started with me on a pay more than an average Lagos private secondary school teacher but the position was quite a significant deviation from my desired career goal. NYSC called and I was able to combine both (Don't ask how please). It wasn't long before my pay hit six figures (still serving, remember) with a promotion in my first year on the job. I was able to take up a number of household responsibilities, cater for family needs - it really felt gratifying. But all along, I strongly wanted out. I wanted to pursue a career in core engineering; which I majored in.

Now, it's few days to my POP, I sent out my résumé and calls came in. I went interviewing and just got that engineering position. But, like Oliver Twist, it's never enough. This job pays less than I currently earn. Earning less will SERIOUSLY affect my plans including that to take a wife this year (I can, on the current job).

Friends, I am three days away from sending in my acceptance to the new company and a resignation notice to the current. Choosing either looks scary and it's getting my head in.

I decided career section for this post as I believe a lot of experienced professionals are here; and a good number would have had a similar go through sometimes ago.

Please, don't see me as one ungrateful boy. I am only extremely confused. Believe me, if I could , I would release one of these positions to a Nairaland jobseeker.

If moderators deem it fit to frontpage my post, all well; makes making a decision much easier. My current boss would see it (He is a nairaland addict) and possibly fire me.

Thanks once more.
Re: Career Or Money? Please Advise A Confused Graduate. by roughdiamond(m): 8:17am On May 02, 2013
well, i will advise u to go for career if u are in engineering field.Make ur foundation&and strongly build on it(career).This in future,i believe will place u on higher positons,and u should also consider jod satisfaction.As for me that matters most
Re: Career Or Money? Please Advise A Confused Graduate. by oremisussan: 8:43am On May 02, 2013
roughdiamond: well, i will advise u to go for career if u are in engineering field.Make ur foundation&and strongly build on it(career).This in future,i believe will place u on higher positons,and u should also consider jod satisfaction.As for me that matters most

Thanks. Your advice - "Give up short term gratification for long term's."
Re: Career Or Money? Please Advise A Confused Graduate. by yamakuza: 12:43pm On May 02, 2013
you need to shed more light.

how much difference between both pay packages?
how far from engineering is the first job? what industry?
what type of company is this new one? so possibility of growth can be assessed.

etc, etc, etc.

as you have painted it now, it makes more sense to stick with the current job, insulate yourself financially, then dive into the uncertain terrain much later (eg when pressure reduces. say, next year). hopefully, your new wife will provide additional income.
Re: Career Or Money? Please Advise A Confused Graduate. by oremisussan: 2:18pm On May 02, 2013
yamakuza: you need to shed more light.

how much difference between both pay packages?
how far from engineering is the first job? what industry?
what type of company is this new one? so possibility of growth can be assessed.

etc, etc, etc.

as you have painted it now, it makes more sense to stick with the current job, insulate yourself financially, then dive into the uncertain terrain much later (eg when pressure reduces. say, next year). hopefully, your new wife will provide additional income.

You just wowed me with your comment. So much between the lines to read.

Like you asked:

Current job - media
The new job - core engineering (owned by one man like the current)
Difference in pay - about 25 percent
Re: Career Or Money? Please Advise A Confused Graduate. by yamakuza: 2:29am On May 03, 2013
oremisussan:

Current job - media

media is good. very good. staying wont be a bad idea.

The new job - core engineering (owned by one man like the current)

if we were talking multinationals, it would have been more tempting. what happens when he doesnt get contracts?

Difference in pay - about 25 percent

about 75k vs 100k to 150k vs 200k ?

difference aint much. you should be able to survive if you really want to switch now.

or save 25% of your current pay for 1 or 2 years before switching. should get you adjusted.

as per the wedding, i'm sure your families can chip in if you switch jobs.
Re: Career Or Money? Please Advise A Confused Graduate. by Ubechu1(m): 6:37am On May 03, 2013
What course did u read in the university?and 4rm which university?wat was ur CGPA b4 u graduated?
Re: Career Or Money? Please Advise A Confused Graduate. by EbenUKLtd(m): 9:37am On May 03, 2013
As an International Recruitment Consultant and a Career Development Expert I will advice you to build on your career. You will discover that with the right Software Training and Possibly Safety Training/Certification, coupled with the experience you will get working in your engineering field, you will get a better deal in no time which might even be double of what you are currently earning. Go for your career.
Re: Career Or Money? Please Advise A Confused Graduate. by AjanleKoko: 12:51pm On May 03, 2013
yamakuza:

media is good. very good. staying wont be a bad idea.

if we were talking multinationals, it would have been more tempting. what happens when he doesnt get contracts?

about 75k vs 100k to 150k vs 200k ?

difference aint much. you should be able to survive if you really want to switch now.

or save 25% of your current pay for 1 or 2 years before switching. should get you adjusted.

as per the wedding, i'm sure your families can chip in if you switch jobs.

If it is engineering he wants to do, money should not be an issue. Both organizations don't sound like they pay well anyway.
Re: Career Or Money? Please Advise A Confused Graduate. by yamakuza: 4:55pm On May 03, 2013
AjanleKoko:

If it is engineering he wants to do, money should not be an issue. Both organizations don't sound like they pay well anyway.

agreed.

i would have encouraged him to switch to engineering 100% if marriage wasnt part of the equation.

as it is, i see it more of a Marriage/Family vs Career rather than the Money vs Career he puts it.

if getting married/starting a family is more important to him (right now), i think he should stay for a few more years.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Get Rich And Famous Today With Hot Charm / Thread Closed / Alex Ogbu: Career Fraudster All Should Be Vigilante

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.