Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,384 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:33 AM

Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? (10069 Views)

15 Lies All Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children / Classic Ways African Parents Set Their Kids Straight(pics) / When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 11:30am On May 02, 2013
Hello everyone,

I was going through facebook few minutes ago when I saw this on WYSE ON TOP RADIO wall.
His question was " should parents tell their kids how much they earn"

In my opinion, most times I feel its necessary children know how much their parents earn so that they would grow to be appreciative and wise in their spending.
But the other way round, when some kids know how much their parents are worth. They tend to be wasteful and irresponsible.

Pls, I would like to get a varied opinion on this subject.

Thanks in anticipationcheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Lilimax(f): 11:36am On May 02, 2013
There is no need of telling your children how much you earn.
Just be a good parent to them.
Provide them with the basic need of life as you can.
Train them in the way of the Lord.
They will surely bring joy to you cheesy cheesy cheesy

13 Likes

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by biolabee(m): 12:00pm On May 02, 2013
Lilimax: There is no need of telling your children how much you earn.

thanks Lilli.. which kain thread be dis one na
the information that u know ur papa selery wtin u wan take am do undecided
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 12:05pm On May 02, 2013

I think this is it.
You can only tell them when they're grown-ups, but by that time,they must be planning on settling down too...therefore, no need. Just provide them with what you can afford and let them know what you can afford. Simple!

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 12:27pm On May 02, 2013
biolabee:

thanks Lilli.. which kain thread be dis one na
the information that u know ur papa selery wtin u wan take am do undecided

U dis boy. Must u show ur face and ur utmost foolishness on every thread.
If u dnt like the thread just leave it and stay out.
Most of ur comments spew stoopidity and echo it.
Dude, three words for u GET A LIFE.
I have one outside nl

4 Likes

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 12:30pm On May 02, 2013
alutacontinua:

I think this is it.
You can only tell them when they're grown-ups, but by that time,they must be planning on settling down too...therefore, no need. Just provide them with what you can afford and let them know what you can afford. Simple!

Cool, short and simple. Thanks for dropping by.
But why won't u suggest telling the little ones? My question for u!
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 02, 2013
candygosh:

Cool, short and simple. Thanks for dropping by.
But why won't u suggest telling the little ones? My question for u!

Because they don't need to know. There are some things that their minds are not matured enough to embrace. For example, to a kid, N500, 000 might look like 'impossible money to have'-just an example...If you tell them you earn N500, 000, they might start looking at you like a god or something. It just doesn't feel right. Besides, they might get to school the 2nd day and go and tell their teacher in school. (the toddlers) undecided undecided

For the teenagers, they prolly don't know that there are other things you need the money for apart from buying them shoes and clothes...so, they might expect that 70% of your income should be spent on them which is not so. As an adult, you just make them to know how much you can afford and make them comfortable to the best of your ability. Giving them an exact figure is not really a good idea to me.

6 Likes

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 02, 2013

I get ur point lil
But forget aabout training kids up now and see it from anoda angle.

For instance like in tylerperry meet d browns.
The mum had to tell the kids together at one point in the movie tht she had lost her job which was earning her a meagre sum and that they needed to adjust cos the kids had to drop out of school and could barely feed.
Now what would u say to that?
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 12:59pm On May 02, 2013
alutacontinua:

As an adult, you just make them to know how much you can afford and make them comfortable to the best of your ability. Giving them an exact figure is not really a good idea to me.

This cut post does it for me.
I totally agree with not giving them an exact figure. But letting them know what one can afford only when the need arises
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by feminineA: 1:44pm On May 02, 2013
I feel it is and I will reveal to my children how much I earn. My dad didn't reveal his salary to us so the impression we had is daddy has money even when he is struggling we will tag as been selfish. My hubby on the other hand know how much hos dad earn infact his payslip is hung at a very conspicous place for all to see so every1 knows how much is coming in. By the time school fees have been paid from it, the little remaininng is used for the upkeep so no child will ask for any luxurious item without considering the family pocket

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by biolabee(m): 1:45pm On May 02, 2013
candygosh:

U dis boy. Must u show ur face and ur utmost foolishness on every thread.
If u dnt like the thread just leave it and stay out.
Most of ur comments spew stoopidity and echo it.
Dude, three words for u GET A LIFE.
I have one outside nl

ehya,,, so ur pholly is this chronic... i did not know the statement got you
So u re read your OP and saw the innate pholly of the question
At least some people have responded to you yet u persist calling tyler perry bla bla bla

You are the one that really needs a life as i have one cheesy
If you want to tell your kids,, tell them
If you dont want to tell your kids,, dont tell them

ish

sorry o
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Lilimax(f): 1:58pm On May 02, 2013
candygosh:

I get ur point lil
But forget aabout training kids up now and see it from anoda angle.

For instance like in tylerperry meet d browns.
The mum had to tell the kids together at one point in the movie tht she had lost her job which was earning her a meagre sum and that they needed to adjust cos the kids had to drop out of school and could barely feed.
Now what would u say to that?
The two scenerios are different.
A situation where the parent had lost his/her job,
the onus still rest on the parent to train this children.
It is there primary responbility. In this case, you have to call
your children and tell them the situation on ground for them to adjust.

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 02, 2013
feminine A: I feel it is and I will reveal to my children how much I earn. My dad didn't reveal his salary to us so the impression we had is daddy has money even when he is struggling we will tag as been selfish. My hubby on the other hand know how much hos dad earn infact his payslip is hung at a very conspicous place for all to see so every1 knows how much is coming in. By the time school fees have been paid from it, the little remaininng is used for the upkeep so no child will ask for any luxurious item without considering the family pocket

I agree in a way. Thanks for dropping ur thoughts.
This may be an advantage of telling ur kids what u earn
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 2:49pm On May 02, 2013
MODs pls feel free to hide any insignifant comments that is not in anyway related to the topic at hand.
Thanks
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by jhydebaba(m): 3:07pm On May 02, 2013
Say wetin happen now
U for ask me to tell dem when I wan sleep wit their mama. angry

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by yuzedo: 3:07pm On May 02, 2013
So that they can ask for iTouch, iPhone, and iPad instead of iZal?? [size=18pt]HELLLLLL NOOOOOOOOO!!!![/size] angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 02, 2013
No way
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by yuzedo: 3:08pm On May 02, 2013
candygosh: MODs pls feel free to hide any insignifant comments that is not in anyway related to the topic at hand.
Thanks
But.. But i leave in Banana Island!!! cry cry cry Be nice, angry and i tell you how much i earn.. wink

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Fhemmmy: 3:08pm On May 02, 2013
candygosh: Hello everyone,

I was going through facebook few minutes ago when I saw this on WYSE ON TOP RADIO wall.
His question was " should parents tell their kids how much they earn"

In my opinion, most times I feel its necessary children know how much their parents earn so that they would grow to be appreciative and wise in their spending.
But the other way round, when some kids know how much their parents are worth. They tend to be wasteful and irresponsible.

Pls, I would like to get a varied opinion on this subject.

Thanks in anticipationcheesy cheesy

It has its pros and cons . . . if not much and still able to meet the needs, it might help so the kids will know the parents are doing great in taking care of them, but if they are making so much, it could backfire and makes the kids to waste stuff.
I think it will get to a stage where we have to tell them, cos they ought to be the next of kin just in case the parents are always away together . . . but it comes with age and not to a toddler.
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by DICKtator: 3:10pm On May 02, 2013
NO WAY!!!. I mean they are kids by the way so it doesn't really count. I just feel they should be taught how to be prudent and start saving early. But i would rather tell a kid how much i earn than a woman.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by jhydebaba(m): 3:10pm On May 02, 2013
candygosh: MODs pls feel free to hide any insignifant comments that is not in anyway related to the topic at hand.
Thanks
What are u feeling like Like u made FP or what Abi u be Seun's girlfriend U no even happy say dem dey comment for your yeye thread tongue

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by jodam: 3:13pm On May 02, 2013
Transparency and accountability shouldn't only exist without, but also within//It makes the bond stronger, and creates peaceful atmosphere//I would think my father collects millions of naira every month based on his expenses and budgets, but appreciated him more when he told me how much his salary is//The knowing opened my eyes to reality//It depends on the family, but it works with mine//
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Costa2000(m): 3:17pm On May 02, 2013
NO
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 02, 2013
Exactly. I don't see the need for telling them unless they ask and that should be when they come of age.
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Fhemmmy: 3:18pm On May 02, 2013
DICKtator: NO WAY!!!. I mean they are kids by the way so it doesn't really count. I just feel they should be taught how to be prudent and start saving early. But i would rather tell a kid how much i earn than a woman.
grin grin grin grin

And what if the parents are earning next to nothing, is that not easy to teach them prudence
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Smartiegurl(f): 3:20pm On May 02, 2013
Hell No!! As a teenager he/she might start being too demanding thinking you got nothing else to do with your money.........take me for example......if am told how much ma parents make in a month, i will kinda start asking frequently for needs that aint really important and when refused to be given by my parents, might attract a negative impact on me........without knowing that some important things needs to be done with money, thereby making me think that they are selfish.........so Hell No, is not a good idea.
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by aniiii(f): 3:22pm On May 02, 2013
###
Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 02, 2013
Hahahahaa, some kids will go crazy when the attempt to find out how many zeros are involved in their parents account balance. Better not to tell. Even wives make incessant demands and wasteful budgeting when they figure out you are on some mad bucks.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by AjanleKoko: 3:24pm On May 02, 2013
There is no time in which that piece of information can ever be relevant for the child.
Of what use is the info to the kid please? So he can frame his demands, balance his expectations, or what?

Kids are supposed to be raised entirely at the discretion of people who gave birth to them. If you choose to starve or spoil your kids, na ya bizness be that. wink

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Inik(m): 3:37pm On May 02, 2013
If you are a low income earner and your kids are demanding for the latest gadgets, clothes and other outlandish things, you can tell them how much you earn and even show them your bank balance. They will understand that you can't afford those things and their requests will die down.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? by Adex097: 3:39pm On May 02, 2013
They don't need to telme...I tell them when the credit alert comes in. #sharp-pikin#

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? / How Do I Punish My Husband For Betraying My Love / What Was Your Embarrassing Moments In 2023.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.