Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,027 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

Why Do Many West Africans Muslim Women Not Cover Their Hair - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Do Many West Africans Muslim Women Not Cover Their Hair (10080 Views)

What are the Rewards For Muslim Women In Paradise? / The 'Burying' Of Muslim Women in the Modern World / Why Are Women Not Fit To Be Leaders? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Many West Africans Muslim Women Not Cover Their Hair by somalia5: 1:19pm On May 02, 2013
Is this from a lack of understanding the deen or they have misinterpreted islam to suit their lifestyle.

I have seen many women who claim to be muslim of west african stock who simply dont wear the head scarf, some even go as far as to say that covering the hair is a arab tradition.

what do you guys think?

I think you can cover up and still look beautiful, like these beautiful Somalis sisters.

Re: Why Do Many West Africans Muslim Women Not Cover Their Hair by IbrahimB: 11:12pm On May 02, 2013
@OP
Why are you posting the pictures of these girls' online? Do you think the Hijab is a form of fashion statement? Please take the pictures down. undecided

To your post, Nigerian Muslim women cover up even more than some Arab countries. We have lots of women wearing the face-veil even. I can't speak of other West African countries though.
Re: Why Do Many West Africans Muslim Women Not Cover Their Hair by somalia5: 3:02am On May 03, 2013
IbrahimB: @OP
Why are you posting the pictures of these girls' online? Do you think the Hijab is a form of fashion statement? Please take the pictures down. undecided

To your post, Nigerian Muslim women cover up even more than some Arab countries. We have lots of women wearing the face-veil even. I can't speak of other West African countries though.

i posted to show that you can look good and still be covered up.......

why do i have a warning saying ' to avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to islam"

am a somali muslim, why would i offend islam??
Re: Why Do Many West Africans Muslim Women Not Cover Their Hair by pirate1: 1:52pm On May 06, 2013
its a tight rope to walk, not ofending islam, while creating debate, especially when am muslim.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Many West Africans Muslim Women Not Cover Their Hair by Ogobara(m): 11:10pm On Dec 06, 2013
somalia5: Is this from a lack of understanding the deen or they have misinterpreted islam to suit their lifestyle.

I have seen many women who claim to be muslim of west african stock who simply dont wear the head scarf, some even go as far as to say that covering the hair is a arab tradition.

what do you guys think?

I think you can cover up and still look beautiful, like these beautiful Somalis sisters.

it depend on the country, ex: in Niger,women have adopted hijab so much that it has become like a fashion, in Mali also a lot of women are covered ,specialy in northern regions near Timbuctu, Gao etc ... . Its the suni (wahabi) muslima tha
Re: Why Do Many West Africans Muslim Women Not Cover Their Hair by Blaaze: 4:33am On Dec 07, 2013
Salamu alaikum.Pls we are not told to cover headscaff but hijab.And d picture of dat lady doesn't portrays any Islamic way of dressing.Rada it portrays d anti-Islamic way of dressing.Dat is not a muslim dressing please and remove it if u can.
Re: Why Do Many West Africans Muslim Women Not Cover Their Hair by kaybyte: 4:50am On Dec 07, 2013
somalia5: Is this from a lack of understanding the deen or they have misinterpreted islam to suit their lifestyle.

what do you guys think?

salamu alaykum, brother, you have to know the meaning of hijab first before you bring up such post. The hijab is meant to cover yout beauty and not to expose it like the pictures you posted.even the christians dress that way also it is not even the muslim dressing. So bro try and get a book on hijab and see the meaning of hijab or better still read the tafsir Q33:59 and get the meaning of it. All those head scaf are not part of the muslim dressing.
Re: Why Do Many West Africans Muslim Women Not Cover Their Hair by usermane(m): 11:33am On Dec 09, 2013

what do you guys think?

Peace.
I think the women who said: "covering hair is an arab tradition and therefore not obligatory" are right. The word "khimar" was distorted to mean an headscarf, so if you check most arabic dictionary, khimar is defined as a headscarf, exclusively. This is misleading. Dictionaries that defines khimar accurately are scarce or rare.

A khimar is the name for a square piece of cloth for covering, e.g a shawl, in Qur'an 5:90, khamr(singular) was used to describe intoxicants because they block/cover the brain or mind or concentration. The word was used back in time for rogues,carpets,curtains and even the black cloth on the ka'aba, confirmed by few arabic dictionaries, hard to come by. This square piece of cloth was used in different communities, before today, in different ways. To back babies,hung only on the neck, wrapped only around the shoulders and bosom, sometimes covering on a portion of the hair or sometimes,not even covering the hair at all. Native indian women for instance wear a khimar/shawl on their shoulders without covering the hair. Sometimes women put their khimar on their head without concealing all their hair, adjusting the khimar on their bosom but their neck and ears remain visible. Go to the market for instance and you will observe all these. As a result, if the command was also to cover their hair, the verse should 've been: "they shall put their khimar over their heads and bosom". But the verse reads,: "they shall put/draw/place their khimar/shawls/wraps over their bosom". This simply mean: get a piece of cloth or sheet and cover your bosom with. Whether this sheet cover your hair or not is not relevant as long as it covers your bosom.
Re: Why Do Many West Africans Muslim Women Not Cover Their Hair by lanrexlan(m): 11:50am On Dec 09, 2013
usermane:

Peace.
I think the women who said: "covering hair is an arab tradition and therefore not obligatory" are right. The word "khimar" was distorted to mean an headscarf, so if you check most arabic dictionary, khimar is defined as a headscarf, exclusively. This is misleading. Dictionaries that defines khimar accurately are scarce or rare.

A khimar is the name for a square piece of cloth for covering, e.g a shawl, in Qur'an 5:90, khamr(singular) was used to describe intoxicants because they block/cover the brain or mind or concentration. The word was used back in time for rogues,carpets,curtains and even the black cloth on the ka'aba, confirmed by few arabic dictionaries, hard to come by. This square piece of cloth was used in different communities, before today, in different ways. To back babies,hung only on the neck, wrapped only around the shoulders and bosom, sometimes covering on a portion of the hair or sometimes,not even covering the hair at all. Native indian women for instance wear a khimar/shawl on their shoulders without covering the hair. Sometimes women put their khimar on their head without concealing all their hair, adjusting the khimar on their bosom but their neck and ears remain visible. Go to the market for instance and you will observe all these. As a result, if the command was also to cover their hair, the verse should 've been: "they shall put their khimar over their heads and bosom". But the verse reads,: "they shall put/draw/place their khimar/shawls/wraps over their bosom". This simply mean: get a piece of cloth or sheet and cover your bosom with. Whether this sheet cover your hair or not is not relevant as long as it covers your bosom.
Stop repeating your teachings,you were served here and ran away.
www.nairaland.com/1475113/what-stops-wearing-hijab

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Reciting Surah Al-Faatihah, Yaa Sin or Al-Ikhlas for the dead Muslim / What’s Your Muslim Name And The Meaning? / No Protest In Islam.. .from Soheehul Bukharee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.