Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

FG Withdraws Charges Against Leadership Newspaper Journalists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Withdraws Charges Against Leadership Newspaper Journalists (952 Views)

History Beckons As Buhari Sets To Unseat Jonathan - Leadership Newspaper / FFK Blast Premiumtimes And Leadership Newspaper On Twitter / FG Withdraws Tambuwal's Security Details (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Withdraws Charges Against Leadership Newspaper Journalists by Nobody: 7:25pm On May 02, 2013
FG withdraws charges against Leadership Newspaper journalists

by Stanley Azuakola

Reprieve came the way of the Leadership Newspapers and two of its journalists as the federal government on Friday withdrew the 6-count charge of alleged conspiracy, forgery and false publication of a presidential directive, which was levelled against them.

The Leadership Newspaper is reporting that the withdrawal of the suit is sequel to notice of preliminary objection filed by the journalists’ lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN), who challenged “the competence of the charge and the jurisdiction of the federal high court to hear and determine the complaint.”

However, the fact that the charge is being withdrawn just a few days after Femi Falana visited Aso Rock implies that the issue was the main agenda during Falana’s Aso Rock meeting.

When Falana was asked at the time the purpose of his visit, he hedged on the question, only saying that he is a stakeholder in the federation and that the court case had nothing to do with his visit.

The notice of withdrawal/discontinuance of charges which was signed by Chief Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN) on behalf of the AGF and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Bello Adoke (SAN), reads as follows:

“Take notice that the complainant, the Hon. Attorney general of the federation intends that the criminal proceedings consisting 6-counts charge against the accused persons, Tony Amokeodo, Chibuzor Ukaibe, LEADERSHIP group ltd, be discontinued and the 6-counts against them are hereby withdrawn.”

Source
Re: FG Withdraws Charges Against Leadership Newspaper Journalists by OmoTier1(m): 7:28pm On May 02, 2013
Oh... so finally they realized they were heading for doom, they should have proceeded with the case, I thought they were power hungry
Re: FG Withdraws Charges Against Leadership Newspaper Journalists by Joyfullyme: 10:02pm On May 02, 2013
My brother they should thank the government for mercy and go and sin no more
Re: FG Withdraws Charges Against Leadership Newspaper Journalists by Gooogle(m): 12:03am On May 03, 2013
Joyfullyme: My brother they should thank the government for mercy and go and sin no more

Which mercy, or that the government should thank them for allowing the cover up.
Re: FG Withdraws Charges Against Leadership Newspaper Journalists by koruji(m): 2:11am On May 03, 2013
There are 3 possibilities:
1. Those guys were actually caught in a forgery and begged GEJ through Falana;
2. The documents were actually genuine, and Falana made that clear;
3. Falana made clear that the government cannot prove that they forged the document and cannot force sources to be revealed.

Now we will never know. It is a sad day for Nigerian democracy and Nigerian media. Since it is the FG that called Falana in for a meeting and also withdrew the charges I am going with you that it is probably #2. The document smacks of tactics that GEJ actually put together against Atiku, so it is not surprising that he will attempt this kind of stuff against the opposition.

Omo_Tier1: Oh... so finally they realized they were heading for doom, they should have proceeded with the case, I thought they were power hungry
Re: FG Withdraws Charges Against Leadership Newspaper Journalists by Joyfullyme: 6:56am On May 03, 2013
@Koruji i like your post, you are a reasoning man. Why i feel there was no document is because going tru the document it is clear from elementary common sense that such instructions are never given by official documents. It just doesn't make sense.
Re: FG Withdraws Charges Against Leadership Newspaper Journalists by Nobody: 7:43am On May 03, 2013
koruji: There are 3 possibilities:
1. Those guys were actually caught in a forgery and begged GEJ through Falana;
2. The documents were actually genuine, and Falana made that clear;
3. Falana made clear that the government cannot prove that they forged the document and cannot force sources to be revealed.

Now we will never know. It is a sad day for Nigerian democracy and Nigerian media. Since it is the FG that called Falana in for a meeting and also withdrew the charges I am going with you that it is probably #2. The document smacks of tactics that GEJ actually put together against Atiku, so it is not surprising that he will attempt this kind of stuff against the opposition.

Koruji,

The odds are on 2/3 being the reason those charges were dropped.

Much as I criticize the ineptitude of GEJ's administration on these boards, I also take time out, regularly, to acknowledge any display of growing maturity. In my opinion, the withdrawal of charges reported here goes to show that the Government takes full responsibility for the contents of Leadership's 'bromide' story.

For what it is worth, I commend this contrived show of magnanimity, even as I recognise that the original directive raises bigger questions about character and sincerity in government.
Re: FG Withdraws Charges Against Leadership Newspaper Journalists by baynix(m): 7:47am On May 03, 2013
Few Hours After Buhari's Visit To Leadership! cheesy

Fear Of Buhari Is The Beginin Of Wisdom To FG!!
Re: FG Withdraws Charges Against Leadership Newspaper Journalists by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 03, 2013
Let's hope the harassment ceases from the point onwards.

FG Withdraws Case Against LEADERSHIP Journalists

The federal government has withdrawn a six-count criminal charge against two journalists working for LEADERSHIP Newspapers and their employer, LEADERSHIP Group Ltd.

The withdrawal is sequel to a notice of preliminary objection filed by the journalists’ lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN), challenging the competence of the charge and the jurisdiction of the Federal High Court to hear and determine the complaint.

The notice of withdrawal/discontinuance of charges dated April 30, 2013, and filed yesterday in court reads:
“Take notice that the complainant, the Hon. Attorney General of the Federation intends that the criminal proceedings consisting of 6-count charge against the accused persons, Tony Amokeodo, Chibuzor Ukaibe, LEADERSHIP Group Ltd, be discontinued and the 6 counts against them are hereby withdrawn.”

Chief Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), private prosecutor, signed for the AGF and minister of justice, Mohammed Bello Adoke (SAN).

In the notice of preliminary objection brought pursuant to the inherent jurisdiction of the Federal High Court (a copy also obtained by LEADERSHIP), Falana said the court before Justice Adeniyi Ademola lacked the requisite jurisdiction to entertain and determine this complaint as presently constituted and consequently sought an order of the court to strike out and/ or dismiss the instant complaint for want of jurisdiction.

The foremost human rights activist also asked the court for such further order(s) as the court may deem fit in the circumstances.

The grounds upon which the application was brought, according to Falana, was that the charges brought against the accused persons related only to forgery and not to any loss of revenue by the federal government. The Federal High Court, therefore, has no jurisdiction to entertain the offences.

“In the instant case, the charge brought against the accused persons discloses no loss of revenue by the Federal Government to cloth the Federal High Court with the jurisdiction to entertain same.

“The instant complaint is limited only to forgery, for the Federal High Court to have jurisdiction over same, it must also involve or relate to loss of revenue by the Government.

“That statement of offence does not bring the instant matter within the jurisdiction of the Federal High Court.”
The two journalists, Tony Amokeodo (group news editor) and Chibuzor Ukaibe (political reporter) were arraigned last Tuesday on a 6-count charge bordering on alleged conspiracy, forgery and false publication preferred against them by the federal government.

The journalists, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges and, consequently, the court presided over by Justice Adeniyi Ademola of the Federal High Court, Abuja, granted the two journalists bail to the tune of N500,000 each, with one surety each, who must have landed property within the jurisdiction of the trial court and must swear to affidavit of means.

The trial judge also adjourned the case to May 16, 2013, and gave the journalists’ lawyer three days to file his preliminary objection while the federal government had two days to reply.

[b]Falana reacts, says decision is welcome developmen[/b]t
But the lawyer to LEADERSHIP journalists and newspaper, Mr. Femi Falana (SAN) has reacted to federal government decision to withdraw the charge against his clients, saying that the action is a welcome development.

He said: “Our attention has just been drawn to the decision of the Attorney-General of the Federation to withdraw and discontinue the charges of forgery brought against Leadership newspapers and two of their journalists.

Although no reason was adduced for the discontinuance it is a welcome development since the Federal High Court lacks the jurisdictional competence to try the offence of forgery which is a state offence as decided by the Supreme Court in the case of Eze v Attorney-General of the Federation (1984) 4 SC 8.

“Having regard to the fact that similar cases filed against Independent newspaper and AIT reporters under the Olusegun Obasanjo Administration and Leadership newspaper reporters under the Umaru Yaradua Administration were thrown out by the courts it is hoped that the Goodluck Jonathan Administration will hearken to the cautionary words of the Court of Appeal in the case of Nwankwo v The State (1985) 6 NCLR 228 to desist from using the machinery of the State to harass political opponents in the country.”

Source

(1) (Reply)

Our Original INEC Registration Certificate Has Been Stolen- CPC / Suspension; Rotimi Amaechi Talks Tough, Says, “no One Can Push Me Out Of PDP” / Poster Of Dino Melaye For Senate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.