Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,728 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

Most Nigerian Mothers In-law Are Diabolical. Reality Or Stereotype? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Most Nigerian Mothers In-law Are Diabolical. Reality Or Stereotype? (5257 Views)

Nigerian Mothers....Always Over Protective! / Experienced Mothers In The House / My Husband And Mother In Law Are Very Close that it makes me uncomfortable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Nigerian Mothers In-law Are Diabolical. Reality Or Stereotype? by AyeeIdris(f): 9:09pm On May 02, 2013
Hello everyone, Hera here, So a reader of my blog sent me this story. We shall call her Morticia. This is her story

"Kole and I met during the National Youth Service. It was love at first sight...for me at least. After two years of dating, he took me home to his mother. I was nervous as expected but I never envisioned that the day would go so badly. She came to the door with a big smile on her face which faded very quickly as soon as she saw me. My heart skipped a beat and started to race. Does this woman know me from somewhere? Have I offended her unknowingly in the past? After we were seated, out of the blue, she asked me how old I was. I told her and she asked me to stop lying. Then all the red flags went up. The next hour, although awkward, went without incident. At one point, I was addressing Kole and inadvertently called him by my pet name for him 'Koolio'. She flared up and yelled at me to address her son by his proper name. I was beyond stunned. Kole came to my defense and said I was his future wife and I can address him however I wanted. She looked at me with pure hatred and I said I was the reason why her only son was talking back to her. She went into the room and didn't come out until we left

That was the beginning of the end. Despite numerous trips made by Kole, she just refused to accept me. The reason she gave people who asked, was that she had cooked food for me and I had looked at the food with disdain. For the life of me, I cannot remember that, but I called her immediately to apologise. I told her I was just a child. If I offended her, she should forgive me. She yelled and cursed and told me to get out of her son's life. At the point, Kole asked me not to interact with her anymore. It made me sad that I was planning a wedding and my mother in law was doing her best to sabotage it by calling her relations and spreading malicious tales about me. Even her husband could not call her to order. One day, she called her son and told him that I would never be able to give birth to a child, that she had a dream that I was barren. My fiance and I decided then to try for a baby before the wedding. So on my wedding day, I was 4 months pregnant and my mother in law still didn't come for the wedding. She is yet to see her only grandson. I have asked my husband severally to allow mediators made up of elder relations, to try to settle the matter, but my husband feels so betrayed that he has cut her off. I am so sad'

My response
Morticia, Morticia, Morticia. I am not trying to trivialize your pain, but from a movie point of view, you are so freaking lucky. Now in foreign movies, the bad mother in law is typically one that uses funny wise cracks to taunt or insult her in-law. The typical mother in law portrayed in our movies is diabolical and super evil. She is not just going to insult you with words,No No No..... she is going to insult your entire family tree dating back to the Kunta Kinte days. She is going to pour water on you...hot..cold....stinky....she is not picky. She is going to bring in another wife for your son. She is going to order you out of your home. She is going to initiate a fight and turn around to make it seem like you started it so as to get your husband mad at you. She is going to visit native doctors to turn her son's mind away from you. She is going to visit native doctors to try to kill you and your babies or she tries to do it herself because she is a witch. That is the typical movie mother in-law.

Aside from movies, we hear stories of horrid mothers in-law which made us believe that the movies must be true. Now these movies and horror tales made a lot of Nigerian girls, myself included extremely wary of mothers in-law. Some girls do wish their mothers in-law dead before marriage. I find that extreme but I do understand their mindset. I, on the other hand, have an awesome mother in law(Only seen her once since I got married a year ago, making her even more awesome, but seriously she is so cool and laidback). I have friends who are closer to their mother in law than their own mother as well as friends who completely shun theirs. There is no saying what kind of woman would end up being your in law, but I do think that the diabolical mother inlaw stance is a tad bit exaggerated. It is stereotypical to assume that most mothers in law are diabolical. We girls are going to mothers in law eventually. That would mean that majority of us girls would be diabolical mothers in law one day, which is fallacious.

So Share your tale. Do you think most Nigerian mothers in law are diabolical or is it just a small percent made to seem larger due to the stereotyping?

www.herapereira.com

Re: Most Nigerian Mothers In-law Are Diabolical. Reality Or Stereotype? by slimyem: 10:05pm On May 02, 2013
lmao @ Patience's picture attached to this article.Having Patience MIL character as your MIL is the beggining of woes for you.grincheesy
...but seriously,i think its an unfair generalization and Nollywood made it worse.Good MILs abound.
It takes a naturally wicked person to become a wicked MIL.There's no sense in making life miserable for somebody whose existence is/would be connected to your son's perpetually.

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerian Mothers In-law Are Diabolical. Reality Or Stereotype? by Nobody: 12:46am On May 03, 2013
I didn't go through the story.
I'm just replying the topic.
The topic can also be written as 'Most Nigerian mothers are diabolical' since any mother-in-law is a mother to someone. Now, op, if that assertion seems true to you, then, maybe, it's true.
Re: Most Nigerian Mothers In-law Are Diabolical. Reality Or Stereotype? by Nobody: 12:51am On May 03, 2013
Stereotype,some are really nice.
Re: Most Nigerian Mothers In-law Are Diabolical. Reality Or Stereotype? by taryour(f): 5:40am On May 03, 2013
@ op,I don't know how many mother in laws you have meet and lived with o to make you conclude most of them are diabolical,or are you just judging from stories and movies Do you know how many mothers are in Nigeria

Well my sweet mother in law(may God continually bless her and keep her for us all) isn't diabolical,neither is my own mother to her daughter in law and neither will I be diabolical to my future daughter in laws.
You are a woman too,do you intend to be diabolical to your daughter in law(s)
Re: Most Nigerian Mothers In-law Are Diabolical. Reality Or Stereotype? by AyeeIdris(f): 9:27am On May 03, 2013
taryour: @ op,I don't know how many mother in laws you have meet and lived with o to make you conclude most of them are diabolical,or are you just judging from stories and movies Do you know how many mothers are in Nigeria

Well my sweet mother in law(may God continually bless her and keep her for us all) isn't diabolical,neither is my own mother to her daughter in law and neither will I be diabolical to my future daughter in laws.
You are a woman too,do you intend to be diabolical to your daughter in law(s)

Did you read the post at all

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerian Mothers In-law Are Diabolical. Reality Or Stereotype? by Nobody: 11:11am On May 03, 2013
I do not think it is stereotype. I think it is pure madness to think most mother in laws are diabolical. Remember even your own mother is probably a mother in law too, so does that mean she is also diabolical? I am sure you will say no!

I think most ladies have a stereotypical view of their in-laws and makes them look for faults in their in-laws just because they expect in-laws to always be bad. Most ladies these age, should learn to be polite and accomodating towards their in-laws and they will see how true friendship will develop. All this, my mother-in-law is bad, my mother-in-law is a witch; remember you will also be a mother-in-law some day, so I hope you will be happy if your daughter-in-law calls you a witch!
Re: Most Nigerian Mothers In-law Are Diabolical. Reality Or Stereotype? by biolabee(m): 11:33am On May 03, 2013
Ayee Idris:

My response
Morticia, Morticia, Morticia. I am not trying to trivialize your pain, but from a movie point of view, you are so freaking lucky. Now in foreign movies, the bad mother in law is typically one that uses funny wise cracks to taunt or insult her in-law. The typical mother in law portrayed in our movies is diabolical and super evil. She is not just going to insult you with words,No No No..... she is going to insult your entire family tree dating back to the Kunta Kinte days. She is going to pour water on you...hot..cold....stinky....she is not picky. She is going to bring in another wife for your son. She is going to order you out of your home. She is going to initiate a fight and turn around to make it seem like you started it so as to get your husband mad at you. She is going to visit native doctors to turn her son's mind away from you. She is going to visit native doctors to try to kill you and your babies or she tries to do it herself because she is a witch. That is the typical movie mother in-law.

Aside from movies, we hear stories of horrid mothers in-law which made us believe that the movies must be true. Now these movies and horror tales made a lot of Nigerian girls, myself included extremely wary of mothers in-law. Some girls do wish their mothers in-law dead before marriage. I find that extreme but I do understand their mindset. I, on the other hand, have an awesome mother in law(Only seen her once since I got married a year ago, making her even more awesome, but seriously she is so cool and laidback). I have friends who are closer to their mother in law than their own mother as well as friends who completely shun theirs. There is no saying what kind of woman would end up being your in law, but I do think that the diabolical mother inlaw stance is a tad bit exaggerated. It is stereotypical to assume that most mothers in law are diabolical. We girls are going to mothers in law eventually. That would mean that majority of us girls would be diabolical mothers in law one day, which is fallacious.

So Share your tale. Do you think most Nigerian mothers in law are diabolical or is it just a small percent made to seem larger due to the stereotyping?

www.herapereira.com

OP.. I believe the above quoted is hera's own response to morticia and kole's story

What is your own experience
Re: Most Nigerian Mothers In-law Are Diabolical. Reality Or Stereotype? by AyeeIdris(f): 3:28pm On May 03, 2013
biolabee:

OP.. I believe the above quoted is hera's own response to morticia and kole's story

What is your own experience

Op is Hera. lol
Re: Most Nigerian Mothers In-law Are Diabolical. Reality Or Stereotype? by biolabee(m): 4:06pm On May 03, 2013
Ayee Idris:
Op is Hera. lol

Ok then.. all i can say is that it is well
Re: Most Nigerian Mothers In-law Are Diabolical. Reality Or Stereotype? by englishmart(m): 6:20am On Feb 24, 2016
okkkk

1 Like

Re: Most Nigerian Mothers In-law Are Diabolical. Reality Or Stereotype? by enoqueen: 6:33am On Feb 24, 2016
And u av to use patience pic, it's OK.
Re: Most Nigerian Mothers In-law Are Diabolical. Reality Or Stereotype? by PresVA: 8:07am On Feb 24, 2016
enoqueen:
And u av to use patience pic, it's OK.
That's the role she's known to act very well na grin grin grin

It's not even a stereotype, it's insanity saying most MILs are diabolic. .. because almost all women in Nigeria are MILs or potential MILs... abi every woman don become diabolic? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Baby Mama Wishing You All A Merry Christmas ,pic Included / Too Much? See Photos From A Maternity Shoot That Has Got People Talking / Help! My Husband Is Not Coming Home Again Because Of What I Did

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.