Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,153 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life (9913 Views)

Two Nigeria’s Refineries To Restart Production Before End Of Dec. 2015 –minister / Nigerian Refineries To Resume Production In July 2015 / Sijuade, Akure : Massive Roar When Result Announced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by 4Play(m): 12:05pm On May 04, 2013
Why do people think that having refineries in Nigeria will bring down the pump price of fuel? It may even be cheaper to import refined fuel than to refine it locally. Most products tend to be cheaper to import than to source domestically as foreign producers are more efficient and operate in a lower cost business environment.

Having locally refined fuel does improve our trade balance thus reducing capital flight, creating jobs at refiners and improves local capacity. It doesn't translate to lower pump price. For that you need a drastic fall in crude oil prices.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by tspun(m): 12:08pm On May 04, 2013
mikeansy:
what does it matter to the pepper selle, bus driver, hair barber, petty trader etc if we have some unverified doubling of production capacity if pump price of petrol does not reduce in the 6th largest exporter of crude oil?

or do we not know that pump price of petrol is the one commodity price that can instantaneously change inflation rate and cost of every other commodity in the market?

this is bread and butter economics and the most important KPI (Key Performance Index) is pump price of petrol

If that does not reduce then we still have a long way to go! it is all talk!
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by billyadam(m): 12:08pm On May 04, 2013
I expect the pump price to have reduced by now. Or is govt saying the cost in refining crude to petrol and others product is the same as when these same finished product were imported.
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by tspun(m): 12:15pm On May 04, 2013
mikeansy:
what does it matter to the pepper selle, bus driver, hair barber, petty trader etc if we have some unverified doubling of production capacity if pump price of petrol does not reduce in the 6th largest exporter of crude oil?

or do we not know that pump price of petrol is the one commodity price that can instantaneously change inflation rate and cost of every other commodity in the market?

this is bread and butter economics and the most important KPI (Key Performance Index) is pump price of petrol

If that does not reduce then we still have a long way to go! it is all talk!
some nigerians have low metality. U read the article, the refineries just started work three months ago they have not yet settle down and u r expectin them to reduce the price of fuel. Instead of you to commend the good work of gej u r busy complaining. EPKA.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 12:21pm On May 04, 2013
tspun: some nigerians have low metality. U read the article, the refineries just started work three months ago they have not yet settle down and u r expectin them to reduce the price of fuel. Instead of you to commend the good work of gej u r busy complaining. EPKA.

with all due respect you are the one with low mentality. Why cant Jonathan wait untill his so called hard work start bearing fruit before attempting to take credit

I can not be forced to join a silly bandwagon when there is no clear result from the the said action.

I repeat the only way I can know if we are refining locally is if pump prices drop, everything else can be made up statistics

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by koruji(m): 12:23pm On May 04, 2013
170,000 bbls/day produces about 13 million litres/day of petrol. I thought you people understood.
This is how you calculate it:
170,000 bbls = 42 x 170,000 gallons = 42 x 170,000 x 3.785 litres = about 27 million litres.
Now, petrol is in general about half of a barrel of crude oil hence we have 27/2 = about 13 million litres/day

It is this kind of blinders that keeps Nigeria from making progress. So many times NNPC GMD's and Ministers under both Yar'adua and GEJ have promised that Nigerian refineries will be fully functional, and they even set time frames. Like with power, they show nothing for their promises at the end of the day.

An NNPC GED told us almost the same story in December 2011 and now another GMD is telling us the same story about refineries working at 60%. How can anyone not be wary about jumping up and down over the latter story, until they are completely sure it is true.

The Nigerian psyche has been damaged by continuous government lies over decades that we are completely numb and refuse to raise objections even when a con-job seems apparent.

Maxymilliano:

I was equally searching for the 13 million liters he claimed earlier but seems the search engines did not support his imaginary figure, hence the need for the additional irrelevant news, just to be seeing as making a point.

@Op, nice efforts by all concerned, the multiplier effect of such laudable developments can never be quantified, but until a greater degree of self-sufficiency is attain, where importation of refined crude become less lucrative and domestic price is determine through the inter play of market forces, the path to sustainable development in the oil sector will still be a mirage.

Nonetheless, a journey of thousand miles always begin with a step and this is a step in the right direction ...

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 12:26pm On May 04, 2013
4 Play: Why do people think that having refineries in Nigeria will bring down the pump price of fuel? It may even be cheaper to import refined fuel than to refine it locally. Most products tend to be cheaper to import than to source domestically as foreign producers are more efficient and operate in a lower cost business environment.

Having locally refined fuel does improve our trade balance thus reducing capital flight, creating jobs at refiners and improves local capacity. It doesn't translate to lower pump price. For that you need a drastic fall in crude oil prices.

so when we drill our own crude oil from the coast of guinea and refine them in PH we are still subject to international price of crude oil abi? like crisis in middle east abi?

Thats some supply chain analysis!
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Darius2000: 12:32pm On May 04, 2013
Rossikk: These refineries have barely refined a drop of oil in the last 25 years, and now...they're up and running at 66% capacity.

This GEJ is turning into a magician right before our eyes.

The above comment is so false and misleading. I work in one of the refineries, and can categorically tell you that Mr Ogbuigwe's claims are tenable. It's so sad when pple who have no idea about the internal mechanisms of a workplace make unfounded

Criticism should be constructive to achieved its purpose.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 12:34pm On May 04, 2013
Once upon a time cheesy

Maxymilliano:
Port Harcourt Refinery Back With 17million Litres Per Day by Maxymilliano(m): 6:50pm On Feb 08

**7.5 million litres of premium motor spirit (PMS) also called petrol, 3 million litres of dual purpose kerosene (DPK) and 6.5 million litres of automotive gas oil (AGO).

**refinery rehabilitation programme will crash the imported fuel price, cut the Subsidy bill.

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has recorded initial successes in the expected rehabilitation and upgrade of the 210, 000 barrels per day plant of the Port Harcourt Refinery Company (PHRC), with the fixing of the Nitrogen Plant that has been down for over one year.

However, the upbeat in the refinery operations is doused by the rising cases of vandalism on the crude supply and product evacuation conduits connected to the refinery, resulting in suboptimal capacity utilization.

Maintenance work at the refinery has translated to significant production upside with total volume output of 17 million liters of different products per day.

Spokesman for the refinery, Mr. Ralph
Ugwu, told journalists that the company was currently churning out about 7.5 million litres of premium motor spirit (PMS) also called petrol, three million litres of dual purpose kerosene (DPK) and 6.5 million litres of automotive gas oil (AGO) also called diesel at the current capacity utilization.

Ugwu said the output from the refinery was contributing to the nation’s petroleum product supply pool as part of concerted efforts of NNPC business arms to guarantee availability of fuel for social and economic activities.

The refinery rehabilitation programme, which is part of a comprehensive plan to improve local production of petroleum products aims to displace significant volumes of costly imported products, crash government’s subsidy bills and optimise capacity utilisation in the domestic refining industry.

In a move to recover full name plate capacity of the plant, according to Ugwu, the management of PHRC activated processes to bring the critical units of the plant back into operation.

He told journalists that the fixing of the Nitrogen Plant had paved way for maintenance and streaming of other vital sections of the refinery, including the Catalytic Reforming Unit (CRU) and Naphtha Hydro-treating unit (NHU).

With restreaming of the three critical units, he explained, over 30 per cent capacity would have been recovered to relaunch the entire refinery into full operation.

Ugwu stressed that the quantity of products from the Port Harcourt Refinery would increase by about 30 per cent after the planned turn around maintenance (TAM) and rehabilitation in the year.

Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, had unveiled the Kalu Idika Kalu-led committee to conduct a capacity audit on the nation’s refineries after which she declared arrangements to recover the name plate capacity of the plants.

Managing Director of PHRC, Mr. Ian Udoh, disclosed that 199 incursions on the seven kilometer product line from the refinery to Okrika Jetty were recorded in 2012 alone, resulting in intermittent operations of the refinery due to haulage constraints.

He also pointed at other concerns over the pipeline breaks to include environmental pollution and degradation, huge economic loss and possible fire outbreak in contiguous local communities.

https://m.facebook.com/hopefornigeria?refid=13&ref=stream&_ft_=fbid.499473246777469

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/business/energy/production-from-port-harcourt-refinery-hits-17m-litres-daily/

https://www.nairaland.com/1190189/port-harcourt-refinery-back-17million/
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by koruji(m): 12:34pm On May 04, 2013
These kind of questions really make me wonder sometimes. You are making large assumptions:
First, you are defining "better off" in your own head and applying it to other people. Second, there is really no way for you to know, even by your own definition of "better off", whether these people are "better off". Lastly, why would you compare 42 years of past Libyan rule to a year or so of independence from dictatorship - this is the "Israel in the wildnerness syndrome: Why did G-d bring us here to die at the sword, with our wives and young children taken captive. It would be better to go back to Egypt."

Frank-C:

And for your celebration of the so called Egyptian, Tunisian and Lybian 'revolution', tell me, between the leaders that was deposed and the citizens, who are better off today? What has the 'revolution' brought them? Is Lybia better today than it was under Ghadaffi? And is Egypt better today? Don't talk out of exuberance. Think through your opinions.
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Darius2000: 12:41pm On May 04, 2013
Rossikk:

Thanks. This is what we we call first-hand, corroborative testimony and evidence from an independent eyewitness source.

Now no one can claim it's just ''govt propaganda''. cool

Very correct testimony. The troublesome compressor in the aforementioned NHU has being fixed. We are really running at about 65% throughput....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by koruji(m): 12:48pm On May 04, 2013
This is what I call friendly fire cheesy cheesy cheesy
Mr. Rossik was the one who posted the story, and was "as usual" merely trying to milk this story for GEJ's gain. Well, well, well...his hyperbole was so overdone that you mistook it for sarcasm. He was actually trying to propagate the propaganda about GEJ, but of course his statement was false - especially where he suggests that the refineries have barely refined "a drop" of oil in the past 25 years. How can someone so contradict his principals so badly - at least two articles have being posted on this thread showing that this same story has been told to us twice in the last 4 or so years. No wonder Nigerians have no trust in their leaders !!!

Darius2000:

The above comment is so false and misleading. I work in one of the refineries, and can categorically tell you that Mr Ogbuigwe's claims are tenable. It's so sad when pple who have no idea about the internal mechanisms of a workplace make unfounded

Criticism should be constructive to achieved its purpose.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by kutchs: 1:04pm On May 04, 2013
braine: The refineries have been functional for three months and the improvement can not be seen in the common man, so whats the use? Great development tho. Goodluck is finding his way into my heart. grin
Well Mr common man permit me to ask this simple question (one I assume the common man should answer with ease) when was the last time you saw a long queue at any petrol station? When was the last time you spent more than 5 mins waiting to be served fuel?

Well here‘s how it affects you the common man. The more time a taxi driver spends queueing up, the less money he gets in a day. This may sound too simplistic but it‘s for the common man like you braine.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by 1wolex85: 1:17pm On May 04, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: @Op..,I love the headline. But I would prefer those refineries privatised. I have a feeling that whatever improvement that has been made in refining capacity will be short lived. Even if not under GEJ, subsequent govts will rubbish everything. I'm all for sustainable improvement. So my position is that the refineries should be privatised as soon as possible.

Notwithstanding, its a good development as it will provide relief in the distribution of petroluem products, especially Kerosine for the poor
For the 1st time I agree with ur post but I have a question, how long will this go on for us to see the effect on the pump price? If it isn't going to affect pump price, the increase in production has little effect
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by billante(m): 1:47pm On May 04, 2013
1wolex85:
For the 1st time I agree with ur post but I have a question, how long will this go on for us to see the effect on the pump price? If it isn't going to affect pump price, the increase in production has little effect

price reduction will only happen when more than what nigeria consumes daily is local refined and crude is given to the refinaries at lower price than market prices.

for now imported fuel still account for 70 percent of the country daily needs....even when all the refinaries are producing at full capacity there will still be short fall....thats why dangote planned refinery is good news to hear...it will make nigeria self sufficient in refined products as he did with cement.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Tintinix: 1:56pm On May 04, 2013
Please how much is fuel going for in the North now...
That's my true test of the availabilty and uniformity of Petroleum product in the country.
I don't expect the cost to drop just yet, till the profit per litre becomes more than #10.
Its an exaggerated statement to say our refineries have not produced a drop of fuel; our refineries have indeed being refining epileptically over the past 3years, its impact would definately not have been felt then and it'd take more than 66% refining capacity to achieve our expectation of a drop in pump price; however the hope is that if the fed Gov can demonstrate the possibilty of profitably refining products (since there maybe no hope now of totally removing the incentives of importing) that overtime market forces will make TRUE business men look more into investing in the downstream; then will we see the drop; right now it just to demonstrate the possibilities...
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Ejine(m): 2:02pm On May 04, 2013
The title of this thread na die grin
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 2:06pm On May 04, 2013
All these PDP clowns have come again
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 2:11pm On May 04, 2013
What's the relationship between this development, fuel subsidy and pump price?
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Rossikk(m): 2:19pm On May 04, 2013
mikeansy:

with all due respect you are the one with low mentality. Why cant Jonathan wait untill his so called hard work start bearing fruit before attempting to take credit

I can not be forced to join a silly bandwagon when there is no clear result from the the said action.

I repeat the only way I can know if we are refining locally is if pump prices drop, everything else can be made up statistics

Are you really saying that the govt should not announce that refineries are now operating again until petrol prices have come down?

The level of reasoning on this site often leaves a lot to be desired.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 2:52pm On May 04, 2013
mikeansy:

so when we drill our own crude oil from the coast of guinea and refine them in PH we are still subject to international price of crude oil abi? like crisis in middle east abi?

Thats some supply chain analysis!

You forgot that those who are drilling the oil are international oil companies who are not charities. They didn't invest billions of their shareholder dollars in our country only sell below international market price to our government run refineries.

If they can't get comparable return on their investments to their operations in other oil producing nations, our oil industry will suffer from no investment. its already happening as investment destined for Nigeria has been routed to Ghana and Angola.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 04, 2013
kalokalo:

You forgot that those who are drilling the oil are international oil companies who are not charities. They didn't invest billions of their shareholder dollars in our country only sell below international market price to government run refineries
and you also forget that they are in a joint venture agreement with nnpc having 60% stake on behalf of Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 3:50pm On May 04, 2013
BIG PROPAGANDUM BY INSINCERE NIGERIAN!! HOW HAS THIS SLASHED PRICES OF PETROL,KEROSINE ETC? HOW HAS THIS GIVEN US UNINTERRUPTED POWER? HOW HAS IT TACKED CORRUPTION? GEJ PACK YOUR LOADS AND GO 2015 AND YOUR FELLOW LAPTOP CREW

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by PECO4KING(m): 4:02pm On May 04, 2013
Rossikk:

My brother... you see what I'm saying? Rail, roads, airports, power, all getting upgrades. Now refineries. This is the kind of leadership we want in this country, not just people sitting in Abuja sharing money.

Brother make we stop deceiving ourself, abi no be this Nigeria wey we all they. How many federal road is good, Na which development dey railway station,I hope u are not refering to the early 60s trains we are still using. Nigeria Airport where there is no adequate Air conditional,some glass are broken, toilet are dirty and lot more.The Power, which kind power u dey talk about self. Power of stealing or what. If that what u are saying u are right. The power supply where I stay is still the same and yet we pay for what we where not supply. I am not against GEJ but am saying the fact here. I want some1 who will think about the poor and will always consider them before he dictate. If the pump price can come down at least 50Naira. I go personal pray for him and am sure people will praise him and vote for him.He will never be forgotten. And I pray this happen before 1st of Jan 2014.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by KokoBeware: 4:52pm On May 04, 2013
QingQamal: How can 3 refineries be working at 60% capacity, and yet no impact onthe price of fuel. If dey are sure d refineries are working , y budget another large amount for subsidy in d budget? Or is it another subsidy scam? We know dat d reason for the high price of petroleum product is because of importation, then if it is refined locally, y still pay so high for the product and still subsidize? All questions begging for answers dat may neva come.

Do you know what a budget is??
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by chizel: 5:24pm On May 04, 2013
Each time these bad belles who will never see anything gud in wht GEJ is doing to make life better for Nigerian talk,i ask myself this question(wht do they actually want?)as far as am concern GEJ is the best president that Nigeria ever had,if anyone has a contrary opinion on wht I said let him say it,and come to think of it,GEJ has barely done 2yrs as president even with bokoharam distraction and he is performing all this wonders,abeg 3gbosa for GEJ.GEJ our man for 2015.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 6:17pm On May 04, 2013
This is a welcome plan from GEJ. I laud that with all enthusiasm.
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 04, 2013
I hear say 9ja oil wells go dry up in d next 40yrs or so.Its beta our govt start now 2 invest huge on agriculture,technology,industralization n education sooner than later unless the future generation wil carry d burden o...D earlier we diversify d economy d beta 4 us o....Nice 1 4rm mr president,i wonda wat buhari n d rest wil say about dis 1.Am waiting.
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 6:22pm On May 04, 2013
Emmadani: I hear say 9ja oil wells go dry up in d next 40yrs or so.Its beta our govt start now 2 invest huge on agriculture,technology,industralization n education sooner than later unless the future generation wil carry d burden o...D earlier we diversify d economy d beta 4 us o....Nice 1 4rm mr president,i wonda wat buhari n d rest wil say about dis 1.Am waiting.
It is better they go for sustainable Nuclear power plants. I am tired of burning coal, gas and other carbon based products.We try to see into the future. Not every time we should fold our arms and do nothing.
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 6:29pm On May 04, 2013
tspun: some nigerians have low metality. U read the article, the refineries just started work three months ago they have not yet settle down and u r expectin them to reduce the price of fuel. Instead of you to commend the good work of gej u r busy complaining. EPKA.
y u dey ansa mumu pple wey no like development.If GEJ did not do anytin about our refinary pple wil complain,but now our refinary is back tru GEJ N pple are stil bin negative...Wat do pple in dis country realy want?Nawa o
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by Nobody: 6:44pm On May 04, 2013
all4naija: It is better they go for sustainable Nuclear power plants. I am tired of burning coal, gas and other carbon based products.We try to see into the future. Not every time we should fold our arms and do nothing.
ya,nuclear is much beta dan d gas energy 4 electricity,develop countries like india,germany are using solar plant n it is more efficient.Dis country realy nid 2 plan 4 d future o.God help us.
Re: Nigerian Refineries Roar Back To Life by kaboninc(m): 6:48pm On May 04, 2013
kasiem: if d common man can be able to pay lasu school fees, let him exercise a lil bit patience for gej cos na step by step

Honestly I love you so much for this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police Recruitment: IGP Files 20 Grounds Of Appeal At Supreme Court. / EndSARS: We Froze Accounts Of Companies, Not Individuals - Justice John Tsoho / LASG To Hold Groundbreaking Of $100m Lagos Film City On Wednesday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.