Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,582 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! (1364 Views)

I Need Help In Sending Bulk Emails For Adverts. / Tutorial: Building A Facebook Chat With Jquery/php / Building A Search Engine Like Google (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by Nobody: 10:49pm On May 04, 2013
Hello great webmasters in here...pls I want to build a small website for my family use only and I don't want to hire anyone to do it for me; tired of web designers collecting money from me and doing the opposite of what I want...reason for my opting to DIM (Do It Myself) this time.

Why I need the website?
I have lots of relatives scattered across the nation and globe, and not all of them use BBM, facebook for many reasons, and I want a way to unite us conveniently and privately without other ppl intervening, since most of us are regular users of the internet...

What I want in the website:

First, I want it to be like that site called: Baddoo or Twoo, but with functions like this:

1. A function that enable users upload a very short video like keek video, maybe 2 mins.

2. A function that enables people to drop voice notes

3. Picture

4. Notepad or Diary

5. A function that will make it accessible to only those invited (via GSM no or email address) by the site owner (me)
6. A chat section

Please if you know how I can achieve this, kindly hint me here or send me a PM.

Or if you know any website where I can download an existing web application that can do something similar to this, just direct me pls...

Thanks all in anticipation of your kind responses....
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by miracle4(m): 11:09pm On May 04, 2013
this is what you need bro .... read the instruction and download the provided templates following this tutorial and links
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by Nobody: 1:52pm On May 05, 2013
miracle4: this is what you need bro .... read the instruction and download the provided templates following this tutorial and links
hello, thanks for the prompt response, but pls can the softwares create or develop the functions I listed above on my original post? Or can you do website with those functions for me?

Please before you respond, try and re-read my initial post and the functions I mentioned and possibly visit the websites I used as reference and then let me know if you can design such a website for me...

Thanks ahead of your good response and happy sunday.
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by miracle4(m): 3:39pm On May 05, 2013
ofcuz they can , what matters is your dedication to learn

as for creating a site for you , I can't do that for free at this particular time
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by Nobody: 3:55pm On May 05, 2013
miracle4: ofcuz they can , what matters is your dedication to learn

as for creating a site for you , I can't do that for free at this particular time
of course I don't even like free things...I can learn, but honestly no time...unless I can learn to use them in hours time, else, it won't be possible for me...tight schedule, my only free time is only on sundays, few hours from 2pm to 5pm, so u can see...

Meanwhile, for privacy, pm me the cost and terms for u to design it for me. Excluding domain name registration and hosting. Just to design it...pls and pls make sure u have understood the functions I explained earlier pls. If u are very sure that u can, PM the cost. Thanks for ur time.
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by spikesC(m): 4:05pm On May 05, 2013
DailyNews: of course I don't even like free things...I can learn, but honestly no time...unless I can learn to use them in hours time, else, it won't be possible for me...tight schedule, my only free time is only on sundays, few hours from 2pm to 5pm, so u can see...

Meanwhile, for privacy, pm me the cost and terms for u to design it for me. Excluding domain name registration and hosting. Just to design it...pls and pls make sure u have understood the functions I explained earlier pls. If u are very sure that u can, PM the cost. Thanks for ur time.

DailyNews: Hello great webmasters in here...pls I want to build a small website for my family use only and I don't want to hire anyone to do it for me; tired of web designers collecting money from me and doing the opposite of what I want...reason for my opting to DIM (Do It Myself) this time.

Why I need the website?
I have lots of relatives scattered across the nation and globe, and not all of them use BBM, facebook for many reasons, and I want a way to unite us conveniently and privately without other ppl intervening, since most of us are regular users of the internet...

smh
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 05, 2013
spikes C:

smh
yeah, I understand y u are shaking ur head Spikes...see, initially I tot I could handle it with my little knowledge of html and dreamweaver, but after a friend talked to me that I would need lots of time and practice plus dedication, and coupled with the idea I got from d link miracle provided where I tried some Do It Yourself softwares he included on the link, I was left with no other conviction that I can rarely handle it as it stands now, reason for my asking if he could do it for me instead cos he sounded nice, experienced and reasonable...

U can see how he first proffered free assistance unlike others who would have just went ahead to ask me to give them the job.

And for FYI, I had in the past paid two diff web designers to help me develop 2 diff types of websites, and even as we speak now, I didn't like what they did for me...and I told one to take down the design from d domain name that I registered and hosted...still waiting to give it to another developer.

So once beaten, twice shy- most web designers here in naija only knw how to design simple template websites...how many can develop a forum like konga.com, twoo, or even netlog.com If u can, let me know.
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by spikesC(m): 6:40pm On May 05, 2013
DailyNews: yeah, I understand y u are shaking ur head Spikes...see, initially I tot I could handle it with my little knowledge of html and dreamweaver, but after a friend talked to me that I would need lots of time and practice plus dedication, and coupled with the idea I got from d link miracle provided where I tried some Do It Yourself softwares he included on the link, I was left with no other conviction that I can rarely handle it as it stands now, reason for my asking if he could do it for me instead cos he sounded nice, experienced and reasonable...

U can see how he first proffered free assistance unlike others who would have just went ahead to ask me to give them the job.

And for FYI, I had in the past paid two diff web designers to help me develop 2 diff types of websites, and even as we speak now, I didn't like what they did for me...and I told one to take down the design from d domain name that I registered and hosted...still waiting to give it to another developer.

So once beaten, twice shy- most web designers here in naija only knw how to design simple template websites...how many can develop a forum like nairaland If u can, let me know.

Stop generalizing, you just had a bad experience. Do you know how many Nigerians are web developers?
Forum like Nairaland? lol...like seriously, you need to go back to preaching in the romance section before people here will open there mouth. wink

And for the record, yes, i can do much more than that cool
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by bros12345: 6:44pm On May 05, 2013
Let me know if you are still looking for help with this
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by zikclassiq(m): 11:48pm On May 05, 2013
What you need is a "closed/semi private social network" wch wil cost a monthly or yearly subscription to keep it running. Designed one recently 4 a group its cald one-cliq.com. I can design beta dan dat 4u n make it a closed one(membership by approval)
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by Nobody: 7:26am On May 06, 2013
spikes C:

Stop generalizing, you just had a bad experience. Do you know how many Nigerians are web developers?
Forum like Nairaland? lol...like seriously, you need to go back to preaching in the romance section before people here will open there mouth. wink

And for the record, yes, i can do much more than that cool
I see
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by Nobody: 7:28am On May 06, 2013
bros12345: Let me know if you are still looking for help with this
I am open to suggestions and quotes. And pls do read carefully my earlier specifications for the site
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by Nobody: 7:30am On May 06, 2013
zikclassiq: What you need is a "closed/semi private social network" wch wil cost a monthly or yearly subscription to keep it running. Designed one recently 4 a group its cald one-cliq.com. I can design beta dan dat 4u n make it a closed one(membership by approval)
you sound more experienced...let's chat via PM, thanks.
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by Liveencyclopedia(m): 9:26am On May 06, 2013
the mod deleted my answer after I took about 20 mins to write the steps for you .. but let me just summarize what I wrote before.

If you want to do it effortlessly yourself then only paying subscription monthly as the op above me suggests then you can use
1. ning.com
2. grou.ps/

( and webs.com )

They will give you all those features you stated and even much more than that .

Then if you want to add little more effort without paying any exorbitant subscription at all , then you can use any of this drag and drop solutions

3. elgg.com
4. jcow.net
5. oxwall.org
6. joomla.org and joomasocial
7. wordpress and socialpress

If you use any of these you can do it yourself but might be needing the services of a freelancer who will take some graphics for you . They are generally effortless and worth trying them out yourself .

Finally if after going through my list you still think you don't have the time to go into all that , register and navigate around nairatrain.com . If you love what you see (you can ignore the front page view 'cos we can style it to any look of your choice or simply create a new custom theme for your needs) send me a pm .I will replicate that for you in less than a week.

Concluding lines : I will give you more guidelines here if you can still do it yourself , just try out number 1&2 above they offer trial accounts

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by Liveencyclopedia(m): 9:28am On May 06, 2013
admin can I know why you deleted my innocent answer ?
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by miracle4(m): 10:31am On May 07, 2013
Liveencyclopedia: admin can I know why you deleted my innocent answer ?
answer me na oga admin
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by switchmax8: 10:53am On May 07, 2013
DailyNews,
I have read all you stated though i have not done such work but i will be able to develop it for you contact me igtechnologyng@gmail.com
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by Nobody: 4:58pm On May 07, 2013
Liveencyclopedia: the mod deleted my answer after I took about 20 mins to write the steps for you .. but let me just summarize what I wrote before.

If you want to do it effortlessly yourself then only paying subscription monthly as the op above me suggests then you can use
1. ning.com
2. grou.ps/

( and webs.com )

They will give you all those features you stated and even much more than that .

Then if you want to add little more effort without paying any exorbitant subscription at all , then you can use any of this drag and drop solutions

3. elgg.com
4. jcow.net
5. oxwall.org
6. joomla.org and joomasocial
7. wordpress and socialpress

If you use any of these you can do it yourself but might be needing the services of a freelancer who will take some graphics for you . They are generally effortless and worth trying them out yourself .

Finally if after going through my list you still think you don't have the time to go into all that , register and navigate around nairatrain.com . If you love what you see (you can ignore the front page view 'cos we can style it to any look of your choice or simply create a new custom theme for your needs) send me a pm .I will replicate that for you in less than a week.

Concluding lines : I will give you more guidelines here if you can still do it yourself , just try out number 1&2 above they offer trial accounts

Thanks so much...but pls...as it stands now, I can't handle it...but I would have appreciated your free tutorial guide...

So please, if you can do it, just send me a pm let's have more private discussion...miracle refused to write me again, I don't know if I offended him and Spikes unknowingly here....pls guys pardon me if I did...

@switchmax8, let me see what liveencyclopedia can do since miracle refused to assist again....thanks guys, I can always count on you guys...stay blessed.
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by miracle4(m): 5:10pm On May 07, 2013
Liveencyclopedia is same person as miracle4 . nairaland banned me after taking my time to prepare a tutorial for you . That's my reason for switching to my second account bro
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by spikesC(m): 5:46pm On May 07, 2013
@DailyNews; lol...we never said u did anything wrong. Infact, i've following this thread and reading every post. Why would i reply when the answers are already here. I can only help more if i am asked to develop it as a job...hence, i will then send you a proposal wink

Basically, what you need is a mini social network. I've developed a full fledged one...like a told you, you don't know Nigerian developers cool
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by Nobody: 4:51pm On May 08, 2013
miracle4: Liveencyclopedia is same person as miracle4 . nairaland banned me after taking my time to prepare a tutorial for you . That's my reason for switching to my second account bro
ok...thanks...but I haven't received any msg from you....or can't we discuss outside here

spikes C: @DailyNews; lol...we never said u did anything wrong. Infact, i've following this thread and reading every post. Why would i reply when the answers are already here. I can only help more if i am asked to develop it as a job...hence, i will then send you a proposal wink

Basically, what you need is a mini social network. I've developed a full fledged one...like a told you, you don't know Nigerian developers cool
I see....thanks
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by miracle4(m): 6:47pm On May 08, 2013
I already sent you a pm . but you can mail me directly via guru[at]obasimvilla.com
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by layiwola008: 12:32am On May 09, 2013
Get a simple Joomla website at very affordable price.
www.theprojectpros.net/index.php/web-design
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by miracle4(m): 11:42am On May 09, 2013
@dailynews the mail I got from you was extremely incoherent. do you mind ringing me via 0092347032594396
Re: I Need Help In Building A Small Website For My Family! by Nobody: 2:30pm On May 09, 2013
miracle4: @dailynews the mail I got from you was extremely incoherent. do you mind ringing me via 0092347032594396
something is wrong somewhere @miracle....I had been seeing- you have 3 PMs, 4 PMs, and when I check my email, nothing is there...and I haven't sent you any mail....the one you received mustn't be from me....

Will call you....now...thanks

(1) (Reply)

URGENT! My Facebook Was Hacked, My Profile Name Changed / Brand Developer Wanted For Web Interface Redesign / How To Transfer From Wordpress To Blogger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.