Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:48 AM

Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) (22058 Views)

Fatal Accident Along Asaba Airport Road, Entire Family Dead... Graphic Photos / SUV Climbs Over Another Car In Accident On Oshodi-apapa Road (photos) / Photos From Tragic Accident Along Airport Road Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by bannykel: 11:47pm On May 07, 2013
Nigerians, na God go save us
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by 3ace(m): 5:35am On May 08, 2013
This is not new. It happens in every part of the country. It's just laziness. The same laziness that prevents us from reading, doing exercise e.t.c. Even on this site, you will see people asking you to summarize the article of the thread for him/her.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by barbarahambly(f): 7:01am On May 08, 2013
This is a stupidity, First thing is that you must cross the road safely , see the signal and then cross the road because there is not to get a enough time to save us from accident..
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by bros856: 7:05am On May 08, 2013
The whole world knows that Nigerians are always in a hurry with short cuts on all their live activities and this also end up cutting their life short. Fast money, Fast documentation, Fast road crossing, Fast etc. Instead of change our live, we will always blame our Government for not providing one thing or the other while we can discipline ourself.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by oloriooko(m): 9:13am On May 08, 2013
what is primarily responsible for this hideous act is our indiscipline, just imagine the bus-stops that were created along that road have been abandoned while taxis pick commuters right on the expressway causing clogs to free flow of traffic especially at lugbe, chika, piwoyi and aso estate.

secondly, this road is the gateway into the FCT where anyone visiting the city for the first time must pass through and with this ugly sight; what do you think their perception of 9ja would be?

i will post more pix later
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by tcoach(m): 10:30am On May 08, 2013
Yes, people risk their lives by not using d pedestrian bridges, but have u noticed 95percent of the bridges are so steep that someone who is not physically fit or old will suffer more using the pedestrian bridges. you only find the convenient ones in lagos and they are few(onipanu B/S).
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by tcoach(m): 10:36am On May 08, 2013
The so called pedestrian bridge at lugbe junction is so steep,the bricks are so big u can hardly find something to hold on to while climbing up. Anyways this should not be an excuse for those that have the stamina to use it the china wall you called pedestrian bridge.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by oloriooko(m): 10:45am On May 08, 2013
tcoach: Yes, people risk their lives by not using d pedestrian bridges, but have u noticed 95percent of the bridges are so steep that someone who is not physically fit or old will suffer more using the pedestrian bridges. you only find the convenient ones in lagos and they are few(onipanu B/S).

so this same old unfit people who find difficult to climb the bridge now find crossing the wide road and climbing the road dividers easier abi?
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by tcoach(m): 10:54am On May 08, 2013
yes, to a reasonable extent, at least you take your time and wait till no car is in sight and you cross with little or no stress and perhaps if any if there is traffic, a sensible driver will slow down on seeing an unfit or old person crossing the road. Still, if you are fit, it is still safer to use the bridges. thanks!
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by rosamaris: 11:15am On May 08, 2013
Pesdestral bridges are supposed to be built at the junction where passengers alight from buses not a kilometer away. Though I dont live along the airport road, but I have observed that these bridges though many are built far away from where buses stop to drop their passengers. with time sha, people will get used to using the bridges or forced to do so.
In Kubwa junction there is no bridge there at all so how do you want people to cross to the other side.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by oloriooko(m): 11:33am On May 08, 2013
rosamaris: Pesdestral bridges are supposed to be built at the junction where passengers alight from buses not a kilometer away. Though I dont live along the airport road, but I have observed that these bridges though many are built far away from where buses stop to drop their passengers. with time sha, people will get used to using the bridges or forced to do so.
In Kubwa junction there is no bridge there at all so how do you want people to cross to the other side.
but you should know that many settlements along the airport road are illegal, so the bridges are meant to serve the upcoming permanent structures on that road.
also, that road is the gateway into the city as such, ugly scenes of commuters scaling over road dividers or some sitting on them waiting to cross is an eye sore to the capital city.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by oloriooko(m): 9:22am On May 09, 2013

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by olajide8(m): 8:11pm On May 11, 2013
oloriooko:

I still insist on something, most of us living in abuja drive ourselves to and fro, but I would tell you this -the distance between the area 3 junction and the newly *being* constructed bridge is like traveling from gwagwalada to the city centre, people have excuses not to cross using the pedestrian bridge, now look at this other example between karamajiji and khuchingoro they built a pedestrian bridge which it neither for that any of the towns, have you ever passed that expressway, around 10/11pm where the bridge's are situated its stone black, dark and when some *unfortunate few* pedestrian's do climb the bridges even in broad day light O! pick pockets, bag snatch er's and other molesters, just wait for the most vulnerable targets and do their thing-please N.B that's not to mean, I am in support of this in discipline, but I think the solution to this, mostly is -not giving people the room to break the law or behave lawlessly in the first place, by reducing the possibility of them doing what is wrong even when they know what is right.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Originalsly: 8:12am On May 12, 2013
Wow!...who is going to walk that distance then climb that height to cross the highway? I don't blame the pedestrians but lay the fault on poor highway planning.Why have a continuous divider on a highway that people or animals would need to cross?
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by oloriooko(m): 8:46am On Jun 12, 2013
On my way to work this morning, i saw an accident between two taxis at the military cemetery along the airport road. this spot is one of the illegal bus-stops where commuters prefer to the designated bus-stop which is just a few meters away.

i saw a lady sitting up on the floor, probably an occupant of one of the taxis involved in the accident.

i wonder why the FRSC and VIO personnels are unconcerned about people crossing that busy highway at their peril! they should force people to use the bus-stops and pedestrian bridges along this busy road. how long will Nigerians keep flinging their lives carelessly on this road.

God bless Nigeria
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by oloriooko(m): 12:29pm On Jun 28, 2013
There was an accident involving a car and a commuter crossing the road early morning on monday at Chika junction. I could not get a shot cos of the crowd around the probably injured commuter.

Furthermore, JB has commenced construction of a new pedestrian bridge between Chika and Aleyita junctions.
These commuters must be very careful and stop crossing the roads but make use of the bridges.

Also, the FCT government should designate bus-stops along the Airport road which must be strictly adhered to and utilized in order to avoid deaths on this ever busy road.

God bless Nigeria
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by shithapuns: 3:49pm On Jun 28, 2013
as my engineering friends would say AFS = ALOWANCE FOR STUPIDITY :always give an allowance for stupidity when you are in nigeria
similar to safety factor that designers and builders incorparate in their designs/structures
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by oloriooko(m): 9:41am On Feb 10, 2015
This morning I witnessed a young guy knocked down dead at Finance junction, Wuye.
It was a terrible sight, the guy was only few meters away from the pedestrian bridge but he chose to cross the highway and he died in the process.
I could not wait to get the pictures, it was terrible.

The FCT Admin needs to enforce the use of those pedestrian bridges.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Originalsly: 12:34pm On Feb 11, 2015
Blame the planners.....the money spent on building an overhead pedestrian walkway could've built 3 underground walkways which would be easier and more convenient for pedestrians to get to the other side. It is all nice to say use the overhead....but in reality it calls for a lot of time and energy to do so....and if one has load...well...guess you have to pay someone to help get you across. Imagine I live directly across the highway....would I really consider walking 600m to get to the bridge... then do some mountain climbing....and walk back another 600m on the other side to get home? Even if I ate before ...I'll have to eat again....and that is why in planning I'm sure such was not taken into consideration as well as caterting for the elderly and the handicapped.

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by oloriooko(m): 6:24am On Feb 14, 2015
Originalsly:
Blame the planners.....the money spent on building an overhead pedestrian walkway could've built 3 underground walkways which would be easier and more convenient for pedestrians to get to the other side. It is all nice to say use the overhead....but in reality it calls for a lot of time and energy to do so....and if one has load...well...guess you have to pay someone to help get you across. Imagine I live directly across the highway....would I really consider walking 600m to get to the bridge... then do some mountain climbing....and walk back another 600m on the other side to get home? Even if I ate before ...I'll have to eat again....and that is why in planning I'm sure such was not taken into consideration as well as caterting for the elderly and the handicapped.

Are you telling me that its OK to take the risk of being knocked down trying to cross the highway than walking 600m to use the bridge?
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by abolore80(m): 3:09pm On Feb 15, 2015
My suggestion, government should be blamed and encouraged to construct pedestrian bridge where it is needed. But for where it is already constructed and people are refusing to use it, I recommend 25 strokes of koboko for such people. By the time you take 25 strokes of koboko 2 or 3 times a week, you will use ur brain.

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by oloriooko(m): 3:20pm On Feb 15, 2015
abolore80:
My suggestion, government should be blamed and encouraged to construct pedestrian bridge where it is needed. But for where it is already constructed and people are refusing to use it, I recommend 25 strokes of koboko for such people. By the time you take 25 strokes of koboko 2 or 3 times a week, you will use ur brain.

grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Picture Of The Latest Mode Of Transportation In Nigeria / 7 Reasons Why Car Jerks When Accelerating / Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.