Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,971 members, 7,825,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community (2623 Views)

See A New Church In Tz,pastor Must Not Touch Ground Until End Of Service. / SA Pastor Prays Snake Spirit Into Members, Then Sends Them To Nigeria - Pics / Mob Destroys South Africa Snake Pastor's Church, Set It On Fire (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by dekung(m): 11:38am On May 07, 2013
An altercation has ensued between members of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria, PFN, and Umuoji community in Idemili North Local Government Area of Anambra State over the killing of a snake in the community by the Overseer of the Mercy Throne Assembly, Umuoji, Rev Jude Chubueze.

The community believes Chibueze had desecrated the land by killing the snake, as snake killing in the area is a taboo, and they had gone ahead to seal his church with palm fronds.

The matter has been taken to the Anambra State Police command which is trying to mediate between the two parties to avoid a breakdown of law and order, and assure a peaceful resolution to it.

Reacting on the issue, members of PFN under the aegis of Umuoji Gospel Ministries Fellowship led by Pastor Celestine Ekpunobi, yesterday, described the tradition that forbids the killing of snake as barbaric, adding that such law should only concern the pagans.

Rev Chibueze said a snake stormed his house at night when members of his family were already sleeping. He said he heard his children screaming and rushed there to find a snake where his children had been sleeping.

“When I got to their room, I saw a big snake lying with them and I had to kill it and threw it into the nearby bush. The following day, some community members marched to my house and accused me of killing their god. They beat me up mercilessly.

“They wrote a list of items amounting to N54,890 which they said I should buy to appease their god. Being a Christian, I told them that it is against my faith and more over, I killed a snake and not a human being.”

One of the community leaders, Chief Paul Edekobi said, instead of the pastor doing what he earlier agreed to do with the community by providing the items, he dragged them to Ogidi Police Station where six of the community leaders were arrested.

The Chief threatened that what he did was capable of wiping out his entire family if sacrifices were not made to appease the gods.

“We do not want to destroy his property and that is why we used the palm fronts to tie round the church to stop him from worshipping there for now,” Edekobi said.

But the pastor said: “What they are talking about is not tradition; they see the killing of a snake as a taboo in their world of idol worshipping and not same in Christian faith

“If they do not desist from this act, our next port of call will be the court for the enforcement of our fundamental human rights.”

http://www.talkofnaija.com/news/324543_pastor-must-offer-sacrifices-for-killing-snake-anambra-community

1 Like

Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by Austileo: 12:12pm On May 07, 2013
may God forbid evil things at least the pastor is right.
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by saintvc(m): 12:41pm On May 07, 2013
do to ceaser what belong to ceaser and to gods what belong to gods. let them go for cleansing provided it doesnt contravene their belief

1 Like

Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by tinuolababy(f): 1:06pm On May 07, 2013
Who named that chief Paul? angry
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by ninja4life(m): 2:53pm On May 07, 2013
wow dats all i could say,its seems d snake was harmless,i think he did d right thing killing d snake cos u neve can tell but he is wrong not paying d money despite being aware of d tradition in d community.
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 07, 2013
Good day peeps,

The story is rather funny...are the elders saying that they are now without a god since their god has been killed? What happened to the usual shout of allow the gods to do their own fighting?

Anyways, seriously now...the pastor should have been quiet about the whole ish and warn his folks to keep it to themselves that would have prevented this dilemma he finds himself in.

I believe he is right to have taken the action he took because he has a right to protect his family from any harm...indeed it is only proper to respect the traditions of the people but this situation he found himself is really a tight one...the snake came to his house and threatened his kids...
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:35pm On May 07, 2013
striktlymi: Good day peeps,

The story is rather funny...are the elders saying that they are now without a god since their god has been killed? What happened to the usual shout of allow the gods to do their own fighting?

Anyways, seriously now...the pastor should have been quiet about the whole ish and warn his folks to keep it to themselves that would have prevented this dilemma he finds himself in.

I believe he is right to have taken the action he took because he has a right to protect his family from any harm...indeed it is only proper to respect the traditions of the people but this situation he found himself is really a tight one...the snake came to his house and threatened his kids...

Is this guy a Nigerian or a foreign man living in Nigeria?

The snakes are not harmful. I got some of Igbo friends that pick snakes here and play with them. It also practise in some place in Asia. They honour snakes base on culture and tradition. Why must a man kill something that is harmless?

It like you need to study more on African Traditional Religion. God in Africa doesnt really mean sky daddy. I have some people in yoruba land worshipping their toes. Some worshipping their ancestors. The idea of God in African metaphysics is not a transcendental one like that of the western world you are following. Rather, God is regarded as an integral part of a single totality of existence. God in Africa are viewed from the human perspective and this is why most African communities identify specific occupation with specific Gods. In that community of snake worshipping, it either those snakes helped them in war or are used in security term or community protection. So they give honour to them.

So worshipping snake is in term of utility.

And why must a pastor kill what a community adore? Can he burn quran if his children brought one home and complain about the hilarious hell in it? Even in the catholic, some people honour and worship dead saints portraying them with an image. Can the pastor break down the scruputures cuz it scary for it little child? This is madness. If you are in rome, you behave like a roman. He should respect people, their culture, their land and their heritage. They have given him the due respect for not tearing down his church and he must respect them too.

3 Likes

Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by Nobody: 4:58pm On May 07, 2013
Evening Foly,

FOLYKAZE:

Is this guy a Nigerian or a foreign man living in Nigeria?

Empty!!!

FOLYKAZE:
The snakes are not harmful.

Can you tell us which snake the man killed? Or are you saying that snakes in general are not harmful?

FOLYKAZE:
I got some of Igbo friends that pick snakes here and play with them. It also practise in some place in Asia. They honour snakes base on culture and tradition.

Refer to the above questions...

FOLYKAZE:
Why must a man kill something that is harmless?

When you have kids of your own and you notice a large snake in their room at the dead of night, ask them to go back to sleep that the snake won't harm them...

FOLYKAZE:
It like you need to study more on African Traditional Religion.

...one needs to study about African traditional religion in order to have a 'wholesome fear' for snakes?

FOLYKAZE:
God in Africa doesnt really mean sky daddy.

...and you would know because you were a pagan?

FOLYKAZE:
I have some people in yoruba land worshipping their toes. Some worshipping their ancestors. The idea of God in African metaphysics is not a transcendental one like that of the western world you are following. Rather, God is regarded as an integral part of a single totality of existence. God in Africa are viewed from the human perspective and this is why most African communities identify specific occupation with specific Gods. In that community of snake worshipping, it either those snakes helped them in war or are used in security term or community protection. So they give honour to them.

Ah mehn...my head aches...

FOLYKAZE:
So worshipping snake is in term of utility.

...and you know this because the OP revealed this to you?

FOLYKAZE:
And why must a pastor kill what a community adore?

When you have kids of your own and you notice a large snake in their room at the dead of night, ask them to go back to sleep that the snake won't harm them...

FOLYKAZE:
Can he burn quran if his children brought one home and complain about the hilarious hell in it? Even in the catholic, some people honour and worship dead saints portraying them with an image. Can the pastor break down the scruputures cuz it scary for it little child? This is madness. If you are in rome, you behave like a roman. He should respect people, their culture, their land and their heritage. They have given him the due respect for not tearing down his church and he must respect them too.

...is this post struggling for meaning or it is just me? undecided
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:25pm On May 07, 2013
striktlymi: Evening Foly,

Empty!!!

Can you tell us which snake the man killed? Or are you saying that snakes in general are not harmful?

Refer to the above questions...

...one needs to study about African traditional religion in order to have a 'wholesome fear' for snakes?

...and you would know because you were a pagan?

Ah mehn...my head aches...

...and you know this because the OP revealed this to you?

...is this post struggling for meaning or it is just me? undecided

it know by the people there that snake is not harmful. The pastor that built a church in such area will be familiar with this story.

Someone that keeps cheetah as pet knows that this animal is wild. But if a pastor that see this animal in a community shoot it and kill it is very stupi.d. Since this Animal are harmless, the pastor should be probe for violating the people's right and culture.

A critical example is a festival named Okute or Ore in Okitipupa, Ondo State. It is celebrated for like two months. When they are celebrating this festive, people in the town are not allowed to beat drum or any instrumental. You can only sing and clap. Those that claimed to be christians that played were charged to customary court and those that restrain the community laws are either not allowed in town again.
You can come here with your kids to play music and drums. Then you can claim you are defending their rights. I will be the first person to give you dirty slap.

In some areas among the Urhobo people, crocodile are not allowed to be eaten. If crocodile move to your compound, are you going to kill it for your own meal cuz you are not forbidden to eat crocodile. Play by the rules of a society.

Tomorrow when the people are celebrating Ogungun festival, tell your wife to go outside pls. I promise she will be killed in your own presence.

You are to play in accordance to the law and rule of people in the land you reside.

The snakes there are harmless and that deraiged pastor that built a church in the village would have been living there more than a year. He would have know about this stuff. He killed the snake for his own silly belief. He did it cuz they are demonic to his own belief. He killed the snake because he want to fight against and destroy idols. Thats his motive. The man should be dismiss from the community. His likes are dangerous to cultural values. His likes are ready to destroy other people's heritage. He should be probe.

Tradition prevails your dogmatic belief
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 07, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

it know by the people there that snake is not harmful. The pastor that built a church in such area will be familiar with this story.

Someone that keeps cheetah as pet knows that this animal is wild. But if a pastor that see this animal in a community shoot it and kill it is very stupi.d. Since this Animal are harmless, the pastor should be probe for violating the people's right and culture.

A critical example is a festival named Okute or Ore in Okitipupa, Ondo State. It is celebrated for like two months. When they are celebrating this festive, people in the town are not allowed to beat drum or any instrumental. You can only sing and clap. Those that claimed to be christians that played were charged to customary court and those that restrain the community laws are either not allowed in town again.
You can come here with your kids to play music and drums. Then you can claim you are defending their rights. I will be the first person to give you dirty slap.

In some areas among the Urhobo people, crocodile are not allowed to be eaten. If crocodile move to your compound, are you going to kill it for your own meal cuz you are not forbidden to eat crocodile. Play by the rules of a society.

Tomorrow when the people are celebrating Ogungun festival, tell your wife to go outside pls. I promise she will be killed in your own presence.

You are to play in accordance to the law and rule of people in the land you reside.

The snakes there are harmless and that deraiged pastor that built a church in the village would have been living there more than a year. He would have know about this stuff. He killed the snake for his own silly belief. He did it cuz they are demonic to his own belief. He killed the snake because he want to fight against and destroy idols. Thats his motive. The man should be dismiss from the community. His likes are dangerous to cultural values. His likes are ready to destroy other people's heritage. He should be probe.

Tradition prevails your dogmatic belief

Stopped reading after noticing the flaw in the first statement...

Just concentrate on the OP and forget I posted. cheesy
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by woky: 7:39pm On May 07, 2013
saintvc: do to ceaser what belong to ceaser and to gods what belong to gods. let them go for cleansing provided it doesnt contravene their belief
dat is it..!
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:46pm On May 07, 2013
cut the discussion. That is an Eke Idemilli. it is as harmless a domestic dog. They are known to like children and be their companions. the pastor, being a native was fully aware of it. yet he murdered the harmless animal. now he will pay.

Now the main issue is, has anyone ever wondered how is it that the whole village found out that he killed a snake?

there are 2 possibilities. you pick one:

-Either the Spirit of the Serpents warned the villagers of his action and then they caught him.

OR.

- He did it on purpose and then started showing off in the village of his cruel deed in order to instigate the Pagans of the village and to make a religious score.

1 Like

Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by Nobody: 7:54pm On May 07, 2013
Evening bros,

I have been waiting for you to say your bit...

PAGAN 9JA:
cut the discussion. That is an Eke Idemilli. it is as harmless a domestic dog. They are known to like children and be their companions. the pastor, being a native was fully aware of it. yet he murdered the harmless animal. now he will pay.

Yea, I know about it but there are people who have a phobia for reptiles (especially snakes) no matter how harmless they are...this might have been the case with this dude...and when one has a phobia for something there is no telling what that individual can do...

Personally, I can't trust a wild snake around my kid...

PAGAN 9JA:

Now the main issue is, has anyone ever wondered how is it that the whole village found out that he killed a snake?

there are 2 possibilities. you pick one:

-Either the Spirit of the Serpents warned the villagers of his action and then they caught him.

OR.

- He did it on purpose and then started showing off in the village of his cruel deed in order to instigate the Pagans of the village and to make a religious score.

Hmmm...
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:59pm On May 07, 2013
striktlymi: Evening bros,

I have been waiting for you to say your bit...

Yea, I know about it but there are people who have a phobia for reptiles (especially snakes) no matter how harmless they are...this might have been the case with this dude...and when one has a phobia for something there is no telling what that individual can do...

Personally, I can't trust a wild snake around my kid...

Hmmm...

Evening. I have been saying my "bit" in the main front page thread on this topic and on other sites. I didnt notice that there is a small thread dedicated to this issue here as well (since mine was locked) . . tongue

Dude however big your phobia, this man is an indigene of that area and i find it impossible to believe that a guy from this snake-loving area can have a "phobia" to it.

those snakes are strange there. in the past (maybe even now), when parents go out shopping, etc., they keep their kids under the guard of the Idemili python so it keeps other animals and strangers away from their kids.

Lastly, have you wondered why it is a "PASTOR" involved does it ring a bell

he was clearly instigating. .
he thought his little stunt could gain him more converts. instead his cruelty backfired.

1 Like

Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by plaetton: 8:07pm On May 07, 2013
^^^@srtiktlymi
C'Mon man, stop being disingenuous. You and I know very well that this nut murdered the snake for religious reasons, because it sacred to his community. For the seasons that boko haram, Islamic fundamentalists, Christian crusaders, etc, murder innocent souls: to placate their imaginary, blood thirsty ,middle east god. lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:08pm On May 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Stopped reading after noticing the flaw in the first statement...

Just concentrate on the OP and forget I posted. cheesy

yawn
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by Nobody: 8:11pm On May 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Evening. I have been saying my "bit" in the main front page thread on this topic and on other sites. I didnt notice that there is a small thread dedicated to this issue here as well (since mine was locked) . . tongue

Lol!!! Didn't realize that there was one up front...might go and check some of the comments cheesy

PAGAN 9JA:

Dude however big your phobia, this man is an indigene of that area and i find it impossible to believe that a guy from this snake-loving area can have a "phobia" to it.

Okay...but the possibility of a phobia cannot be ruled out completely.

PAGAN 9JA:

those snakes are strange there. in the past (maybe even now), when parents go out shopping, etc., they keep their kids under the guard of the Idemili python so it keeps other animals and strangers away from their kids.

Yeah, don't know about now too...

PAGAN 9JA:

Lastly, have you wondered why it is a "PASTOR" involved does it ring a bell

he was clearly instigating. .
he thought his little stunt could gain him more converts. instead his cruelty backfired.

Hmmmm...interesting thought...I can't rule it out though.

Now my stand as I have mentioned in my OP is basically that the pastor would be right if his intention of safeguarding his kids was what drove him to act but if on the other hand he did it for the reason you mentioned then it would be very inconsiderate of him...
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by Nobody: 8:14pm On May 07, 2013
plaetton: ^^^@srtiktlymi
C'Mon man, stop being disingenuous. You and I know very well that this nut murdered the snake for religious reasons, because it sacred to his community. For the seasons that boko haram, Islamic fundamentalists, Christian crusaders, etc, murder innocent souls: to placate their imaginary, blood thirsty ,middle east god. lipsrsealed

Haba Plaetton, we were not there, how can we know for sure?
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:15pm On May 07, 2013
also cmon, i mean, how st.upid can someone be?! its like going to the Ka'aba and burning the Quraan!

even if you have a phobia, you will think twice. some people have phobia of muslims, thinking they are terrorists. will you just beat up a bearded muslim who enters your home in a muslim counry
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by plaetton: 8:19pm On May 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Haba Plaetton, we were not there, how can we know for sure?
So I have a phobia for certain types of dogs because i feel threatened by them, and i know that does can be vicious and dangerous, does that give me the right to go around and kill every dog i see?
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by Nobody: 8:21pm On May 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
also cmon, i mean, how st.upid can someone be?! its like going to the Ka'aba and burning the Quraan!

Note that the snake crawled into the room of his kids at the dead of night...

PAGAN 9JA:

even if you have a phobia, you will think twice. some people have phobia of muslims, thinking they are terrorists. will you just beat up a bearded muslim who enters your home in a muslim counry

Not the same...
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by Nobody: 8:23pm On May 07, 2013
plaetton:
So I have a phobia for certain types of dogs because i feel threatened by them, and i know that does can be vicious and dangerous, does that give me the right to go around and kill every dog i see?

I have seen a lady hack down a friendly neighborhood dog to death because of her phobia for dogs...the dogs crime was that it tried to play with this lady.
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:49pm On May 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Note that the snake crawled into the room of his kids at the dead of night...

wtf? so? again we are not talking of a common household. we are talking about a community where it is "normal' for snakes to sneak into homes!
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:50pm On May 07, 2013
striktlymi:

I have seen a lady hack down a friendly neighborhood dog to death because of her phobia for dogs...the dogs crime was that it tried to play with this lady.

she is mad. if tomorrow you kill a person saying it was out of fear, the judge wouldnt care. he would still punish you.
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by Nobody: 9:10pm On May 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

she is mad. if tomorrow you kill a person saying it was out of fear, the judge wouldnt care. he would still punish you.

Lol!!!
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by Nobody: 9:11pm On May 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

wtf? so? again we are not talking of a common household. we are talking about a community where it is "normal' for snakes to sneak into homes!

Hmmm...
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by ooman(m): 9:20pm On May 07, 2013
striktlymi: Good day peeps,

@bold - is that why you are here speaking on behalf of yahweh?? why not let yahweh do his talking too.

the pastor must pay.

1 Like

Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by jayriginal: 10:16pm On May 07, 2013
I have a personal experience of this kind of matter. I served in Anambra State so I am familiar with the consequences of killing an Eke. After the school I lived in was a thick bush and then a dibias home.

Now, right from camp, we were warned not to kill snakes. We were told that if we suddenly come into our rooms and see a snake on our beds or pillows, we were to carry it by hand and throw it into the bush. If we were afraid, we were to call an indigene who would remove it for us. If we were brave enough, we could sleep with it still on our pillow.

We were assured that the snake was harmless and would not attack. We were told that if we killed the snake, we would have to bury it like a titled man. It was taboo to kill eke.

All the while, goose pimples were sprouting from the girls and cries of "blood of Jesus" rent the air. We were even told of notorious communities were we had to be extra careful in case we were posted there. For the avoidance of doubt, Eke is the royal python.

Some months into my service, on our way to the tap, one of the lady corpers spotted a snake which quickly squeezed itself into a locked garage. Peeping through the cracks, we saw this thick snake chilling. We began to speculate because when we heard python, we expected something really big. I remember as a child my grand mother would tell me how pythons use palm trees to measure length. This wasnt as long as a palm tree but it was no ordinary snake. It was long and fat. Thick!
We couldnt get at it so we let it be while we wondered how long it had been living with us and what it had been eating. Then we saw the school gardener and brought him to the garage. As we told him about the snake, the first thing he asked was "na Eke?". We said we didnt know because we had only heard but we had never seen one. He looked into the garage but by then the snake had hidden itself. Then Mazi (that was what we called him) said very clearly "if na Eke, kill am and cook am. If una no go chop give me, I go chop". We asked him if it wasnt taboo to kill Eke, but he shrugged it off.

Later my friend and I went outside the compound to buy some stuff and we asked the man selling stuff if Eke could be killed as we were told otherwise in camp. He said that it was old tradition and it doesnt hold anymore. He said people kill and eat Eke (though he didnt volunteer to eat it if we killed it).

Its important to note that these were all indigenes resident in the area.

My friend and I went back to the school fortified in the knowledge that if we see the Eke, we could kill it. We didnt see it that day, or the next, or the next . . .

Sometime later (weeks after), at about 9pm, the remaining female corper in our lodge (the other had passed out) came running "Gudugudu, Barri Wonder, something is making noise near my room". We went to check it out (we had no electricity) and our torch showed a snake struggling under a barrier. Its a bit hard to describe. I will just say that the snake tried to crawl underneath a fence like thing and got stuck. Its head and neck went through but the body couldnt pass. It could neither go forward nor retreat so it was thrashing about and making a racket.

Quickly we ran to our secretarys house to borrow cutlasses. As soon as she heard "snake" she was so frightened. She gave us the tools and locked up after us. We went to the snake and hacked it until it stopped thrashing. For good measure, I doused it with kerosene but didnt set fire since most of its body was out of our reach. By climbing over the wall, we could see the other part of its body but we couldnt reach it.

In short, we dealt mortal blows on the reptile. There was blood everywhere and we left it for dead.

In the morning, we went to the spot and there was no snake. Just blood. So we climbed over the wall and looked and there the snake was. The snake we left for dead astonishingly wasnt dead when we thought it was. By morning it was dead though. What happened was that the snakes head was flattened by the blows we dealt it and so in its throes, it was able to retreat finally. Imagine our shock when we looked in the daylight and found out that it was the very same snake we had seen some weeks earlier.
Without being told, we knew it was Eke!

We went to return out tools to the secretary. She asked if we killed the snake and we said yes. Only then for the first time did she ask if it was Eke. We looked at ourselves and said "no". Then she became boastful. This same woman who almost ran up the wall into her ceiling the previous night told us that if it was Eke, we ought to have called her and she would drive it away. Then she started telling us how Eke used to eat her eggs and she kept warning it. It got to the point that one day, she flogged it with a cane and told it that if it came to eat her eggs next time, she would kill it. According to her, Eke never bothered her again.

After her lengthy narrative, she took Kolanuts and threw them around our lodge and asked us to remove some wood and zinc as these were hiding places for snakes.
When school started that same morning, we went and reported ourselves to the acting Principal.

The man was befuddled. He asked "did you kerosene it" and we said yes. He was downcast. He started thinking aloud. He said "what was Eke looking for in the lodge? Is Eke not supposed to know that you are strangers. Eke dont suppose to come here". Then he said he wished he could have been there so he would remove it with his hands and throw outside the compound adding that a five year old child could have carried the Eke away. Then he tapped his head (like papa Ajasco) and muttered to himself. He was in a severe dilemma. He wanted to retrieve the body of the snake but he feared sending a student to do it lest that student be seen by other students and then the gist gets to the community and then his corpers are in hot soup. Then it seems he fancied his chances of defending us against the community because he kept telling himself that he was a first class citizen of the community.

He also told us of a nearby community, some church school or something, how Eke was found in the girls bathroom. He told us that Eke would never attack a stranger or an indigene but that if Eke sees and Abakaliki man, Eke will attack him. The reason he said was because Abakaliki men kill and eat Eke.
We then told him that Mazi and the man that sells things outside the school told us to kill the Eke that the tradition no longer held. He was disgusted and said that they said that because they were christians. Then, he told us that if Eke is crossing the road, cars stop to let it pass.

In the end, he asked us to keep the matter quiet. The snake was left there in the enclosure next to ours and because of the size of the snake, its decomposition kept the air in the lodge foul for the better part of two weeks.

I have not embellished neither have I exaggerated.

My take is that there is nothing special about the Eke. Nobody knew we killed Eke except the principal to whom we reported ourselves. The reason Eke is "harmless" is because nobody attacks it. If you raise a chicken from a chick, if no one attacks it, it will not fear humans. Ive seen chickens like that. They walk up to you and are not moved if you shoo them. No one attacks Eke in the community so it has no need to defend itself.
I dont believe that Abakaliki crap as a snake has no means of knowing who is from where.

Now if the Pastor was an indigene of the place, he could have been more discreet, but he probably taunted the indigenes with the death of the snake. It kind of reminds someone of Benson Idahosa destroying idols in Benin City.
He did what he did because of his religion. Its not everyone that reacts kindly to snakes so I can understand his killing it, particularly as the bible talks about crushing snakes with the heel of the foot. He shouldnt however have waved his "sacrilege in their faces" as I feel he must have done.

2 Likes

Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:25pm On May 07, 2013
what you and your friends did there was wrong though. an animal was stuck through a fence and you slaughtered it like that. that is disgusting and cruel. it was not even free to run. just imagine you didnt even kill it properly and it suffered a whole night till the next day. .

why would a God create a harmless creature and then tell us to kill/stamp it. such a God is a foolish God and i hate such Gods.
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by jayriginal: 10:36pm On May 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
what you and your friends did there was wrong though. an animal was stuck through a fence and you slaughtered it like that. that is disgusting and cruel. it was not even free to run.

why would a God create a harmless creature and hen tell us to kill/stamp it. such a God is a foolish God and i hate such Gods.

Maybe you should stop being rigid and read again.

I had a mindset before posting but after reading every post here (including yours), my mindset changed and thats why I took the pains to share the story. I didnt type all of that for fun or for exercise.

A snake is not a pleasant creature to be around (for a lot of people). Remember too, we had consulted indigenes on the matter and they had assured us that it was a dead tradition (we soon discovered otherwise).
The difference between us and the pastor is that we did not gloat about it. Our safety was our primary concern.

Stop being judgmental.

1 Like

Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:39pm On May 07, 2013
jayriginal:

Maybe you should stop being rigid and read again.

I had a mindset before posting but after reading every post here (including yours), my mindset changed and thats why I took the pains to share the story. I didnt type all of that for fun or for exercise.

A snake is not a pleasant creature to be around (for a lot of people). Remember too, we had consulted indigenes on the matter and they had assured us that it was a dead tradition (we soon discovered otherwise).
T he difference between us and the pastor is that we did not gloat about it. Our safety was our primary concern.

Stop being judgmental.

I noticed that and I apologise if i sounded judgemental. you were just sharing a true story I guess. .

however that was my opinion, when you were in your state of ignorance. it was certainly a horrible incident. I guess the mob mentality factor also played a huge part in your actions. when people are in a large group, they tend to get excited and violent.
Re: Pastor Must Offer Sacrifices For Killing Snake – Anambra Community by jayriginal: 11:17pm On May 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

I noticed that and I apologise if i sounded judgemental. you were just sharing a true story I guess. .

however that was my opinion, when you were in your state of ignorance. it was certainly a horrible incident. I guess the mob mentality factor also played a huge part in your actions. when people are in a large group, they tend to get excited and violent.

Its all good. Since then Ive shared a room on more than one occasion with a snake. Im not bothered as long as the bed is not on the ground as I know most snakes will not attack unless they have no other option. Still, I will kill a snake if it presents a danger.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Open Heavens Daily Devotional 06/08/15 / Why Critics Of Mohammed Are Murdered In Islamic Countries / Are Ooo(olumba Olumba Obu) Followers Being Ostracised Wrongly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.