Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,526 members, 7,770,335 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:33 AM

Masquerade Fight Leaves Five Dead In Imo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Masquerade Fight Leaves Five Dead In Imo (1474 Views)

Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi / When Your Boy Friend Is The Leader Of Masquerade Group In Your Village [PHOTO] / Aguleri Town Masquerade Festival In Anambra (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Masquerade Fight Leaves Five Dead In Imo by ChisomMalachy(m): 12:25pm On May 07, 2013
Five people have been confirmed dead and 11 wounded in Omuma community in Oru Eastcouncil area of Imo state during a seasonal festival.
Sources said that a visiting masquerade popularly known as ‘Aja-ala’ from the neighbouring community of Akatta in Oru east local government area of the state allegedly unleashed repeated machete cuts on an indigene of Omuma over a yet-to-be-ascertained grievance.

However, the Event instantly took a drastic turn as the indigenes of Omuma mobilized and retaliated the act descending on the masquerade and inflicting fatal pains on the masquerade which eventually led to his death. However, when indigenes of Akatta community heard of the killing of their masquerade in Omuma, no fewer than 100 youths were mobilized for reprisal attacks. The reprisal attacks from both ends led to the killing of another four persons in Akata community.

Sources said angry Akatta youths allegedly invaded the Comprehensive Secondary School in Akatta, located in an area of land near Omuma, identifying and attacking students that hail from Omuma community.
Sources further disclosed that the move was however quashed by the arrival of a detachment of mobile policemen to the warring communities. As at press time, no fewer than five persons have been reportedly killed with about 11 others nursing various degrees of machete cuts.

Meanwhile, when contacted, The Imo State Police Public Relations Officer, Joy Elemoko said she had heard about the clashes but has not been officially briefed and promised to give a full detail of the incident to the public is soon

http://www.malaspark.com/2013/05/masquerade-fight-leaves-five-dead-in-imo.html?m=0

Re: Masquerade Fight Leaves Five Dead In Imo by odumchi: 3:32am On May 08, 2013
It pains me when I hear stories like this that highlight how tradition and culture are being malpracticed and abused.

(1) (Reply)

Delta People Please Help Me. EDUCATE ME / Ile-ife To Celebrate Oranmiyan / Which Part Of Your Body Do You Scrub First While Bathing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.