Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,656 members, 7,820,281 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? (2458 Views)

The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult / The Christ Embassy Policy That's Tearing Families Apart / New Age Teachings Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome. Is It Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Danyell(m): 3:50pm On May 07, 2013
Good day nairalanders.
Many a times, I've seen Christians try and fail to live wholly by the teachings of Jesus Christ leading me to question the validity of his teachings in the world we live in today. Sometimes I ask myself, why can't Christians just live by the teachings of their Lord and personal saviour? Is it because his teachings are impractical and can't be applied in today's world or is it something else? Let's quickly analyse some of Jesus' teachings shall we?
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Danyell(m): 4:02pm On May 07, 2013
* After Jesus gave the beatitudes, he ended it with
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you"
How many Christians in today's world do you see rejoicing when they are persecuted? Instead they complain and ask if theirs is the only religion. Infact, you dare not insult a Christian if you still like the current location of your big head.
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Danyell(m): 4:09pm On May 07, 2013
* In another part, Jesus told his disciples
You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden
What this means is that followers of Christ are supposed to be unique individuals that every other person would try to emulate but we all know that isn't the case with Christians. There is absolutely no difference between a Christian and an unbeliever, the only thing is that Christians try to cover up their real behaviours with pretentious self-righteousness and arrogance.
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Danyell(m): 4:16pm On May 07, 2013
* Jesus also talked on forgiveness and his words were crystal clear. As a Christian, you cannot stay angry at anyone. If someone should offend you, you are to forgive the person immediately and if you offend anyone, you are to ask for forgiveness immediately, no time for prejudice or malice. We all know that Christians are nothing to write home about when it comes to forgiveness, infact they are the ones who fight the most over trivial matters and are not willing to forgive those who offend them.
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Danyell(m): 4:20pm On May 07, 2013
* Regarding adultery and divorce, Jesus says that you are not allowed to look at a woman lustfully (I think this was only directed at the male folks because I don't know how this would apply to a woman) because it is the same as comitting the actual sin of adultery. He even told the listeners to cut off part of their bodies that refused to co-operate. Also, Christians are not allowed to divorce. The only exception for divorce is when your spouse is unfaithful. You are not allowed leave an abusive marriage under any circumstance.
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Danyell(m): 4:33pm On May 07, 2013
* Now, the popular teaching by Jesus the Christ
do not resist an evil person, if someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also and if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well, if someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles, give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you
This is self explanatory, basically, what Jesus is saying here is that you are to become a MUMU. How many Christians truly follow this teaching? None!!
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Danyell(m): 4:37pm On May 07, 2013
* Also, according to Jesus, you are to love your enemies and you are also mandated to pray for those who smear or insult you. If someone r.*pes your 2 year old kid, you are to forgive the person and then pray for the person. Why? Well he ends the statement with
be perfect, therefore as your heavenly father is perfect
So, you are supposed to be a perfect human specimen.
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Danyell(m): 4:43pm On May 07, 2013
* Finally, according to Jesus, you shouldn't worry about your life, what you will eat or drink or about what you will wear. You are to live like Timon and Pumba of the lion king series (remember? Hakuna Matata). So, basically, no matter the situation in your life, you are not supposed to be bothered because when you worry, you are contradicting the words of your Lord and master.
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Danyell(m): 4:48pm On May 07, 2013
^^^ These are the few ones I could think of. So, how practical are the teachings of Christ? The thread is open to all and sundry.
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by BigBashiru: 1:25am On May 08, 2013
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Lionpikin(m): 1:58am On May 08, 2013
One of the reasons I m turning into an atheist.....@op, are u an atheist or a muslim?
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by FromGuiriga(m): 2:49am On May 08, 2013

The teachings of the Christ are practical. I've tested some of them personally. They worked for me.
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Danyell(m): 10:10am On May 08, 2013
Lionpikin: One of the reasons I m turning into an atheist.....@op, are u an atheist or a muslim?
I'm an agnostic theist.
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Danyell(m): 10:17am On May 08, 2013
From_Guiriga:
The teachings of the Christ are practical. I've tested some of them personally. They worked for me.
Can you give examples of the ones that have worked for you and the situation in which you applied them?
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Danyell(m): 5:45am On May 12, 2013
So far, no one has come out to explain how Jesus' teachings have been put into practice in their everyday lives.
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by kambo(m): 6:03am On May 12, 2013
Da-ny-ell:
* In another part, Jesus told his disciples
What this means is that followers of Christ are supposed to be unique individuals that every other person would try to emulate but we all know that isn't the case with Christians. There is absolutely no difference between a Christian and an unbeliever, the only thing is that Christians try to cover up their real behaviours with pretentious self-righteousness and arrogance.

you subtly subverted the meaning of what Jesus said. Jesus didnt say , christians are suppose to be the light,
He said "You are..." ,christians are already light.
They are already , not trying to light. The task is letting the light out.
in anoda verse he says "Let your light so shine....".
You can have a car but still trekk. that doesnt mean you arent a car owner.
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by kambo(m): 6:07am On May 12, 2013
Da-ny-ell:
So far, no one has come out to explain how Jesus' teachings have been put into practice in their everyday lives.
Explain to you!? ar you their judge.. go to church or read a good christian book and yu'll have som (documented) examples.

how many christians lifestyle can you observe at anytime!? . Anyway, i'll concede that finding a true christian is hard.
very rare. maybe. incase , you decide to convert to christianity, the bible has got to b ur behaviour shaper not
the actions of your fellow church members.

1 Like

Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by 4cassavasticks: 7:18am On May 12, 2013
Da-ny-ell:
Good day nairalanders.
Many a times, I've seen Christians try and fail to live wholly by the teachings of Jesus Christ leading me to question the validity of his teachings in the world we live in today. Sometimes I ask myself, why can't Christians just live by the teachings of their Lord and personal saviour? Is it because his teachings are impractical and can't be applied in today's world or is it something else? Let's quickly analyse some of Jesus' teachings shall we?
How practical are the teachings of buddha? how practical are the teachings of mohammed? how practical are the teachings of moshe? everyday I see buddhists, muslims, jews e.t.c. try and fail to follow their masters.

Let me ask you another question, and please don't lie. . . .how practical are your own personal principles? Are you perfect? even by your own standards? For me I am not perfect at all even by my own standards(and my standards are very low).

If you are not even perfect by your own personal standards, how do you expect others to match up to another person's standards?

It is easy to point at christians and laugh. How about we point at you and laugh for your own moral imperfections you disgusting bully that can't even live up to his own principles
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Lionpikin(m): 7:33am On May 12, 2013
@Dany, pls i need enlightment. I dnt believe in any religion and I dnt knw if i believe in God or not, so am I an atheist?
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by 4cassavasticks: 7:45am On May 12, 2013
Lionpikin: @Dany, pls i need enlightment. I dnt believe in any religion and I dnt knw if i believe in God or not, so am I an atheist?
No you are a confused ignorant agnostic. Now fuck off
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Danyell(m): 12:19pm On May 12, 2013
@Kambo, how can you say that they already are the light of the world when their actions prove otherwise? Even the church is becoming secular every passing day (you haven't addressed the remaining ones though). And um..... I know I am not an authority on this issue, I am just asking an honest question since I was once a Christian that strived to live solely by the teachings of Christ and I got fully discouraged when fellow Christians started calling me a fool for applying Jesus' words literally (especially the 'do not worry about your life' part). I still try to follow his teachings though, I just think that some of them might be impractical.
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Danyell(m): 12:27pm On May 12, 2013
@4cassava_sticks, nowhere in my post did I ever claim to be the perfect human specimen. I'm just trying to ascertain whether or not Jesus' teachings can truly be applied in our day-to-day lives. If I may ask, are you a Christian?
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Danyell(m): 12:52pm On May 12, 2013
Lionpikin: @Dany, pls i need enlightment. I dnt believe in any religion and I dnt knw if i believe in God or not, so am I an atheist?
Not really. I would say you are going into agnosticism but you should note that it is not a third option to theism and atheism. It is just a position of knowledge or rather no knowledge about the existence of God/gods. You are either be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist. You can't just be an "agnostic".
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by 4cassavasticks: 5:51pm On May 12, 2013
Da-ny-ell:
@4cassava_sticks, nowhere in my post did I ever claim to be the perfect human specimen. I'm just trying to ascertain whether or not Jesus' teachings can truly be applied in our day-to-day lives. If I may ask, are you a Christian?
If you didn't claim to be perfect, then you don't have the right to question anybody's morals including those of Jesus and his followers. Stop being a bigot.

No I am not a christian.
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by kambo(m): 6:00pm On May 12, 2013
4cassava sticks:
If you didn't claim to be perfect, then you don't have the right to question anybody's morals including those of Jesus and his followers. Stop being a bigot.

No I am not a christian.

wat ar u?
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by 4cassavasticks: 6:03pm On May 12, 2013
kambo:

wat ar u?
four cassava sticks
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by kambo(m): 6:41pm On May 12, 2013
Da-ny-ell:

@Kambo, how can you say that they already are the light of the world when their actions prove otherwise? Even the church is becoming secular every passing day (you haven't addressed the remaining ones though). And um..... I know I am not an authority on this issue, I am just asking an honest question since I was once a Christian that strived to live solely by the teachings of Christ and I got fully discouraged when fellow Christians started calling me a fool for applying Jesus' words literally (especially the 'do not worry about your life' part). I still try to follow his teachings though, I just think that some of them might be impractical.

@da-ny
i blv d bible by faith. No physcl proof of God. Thts wat God xpcts-dats y as an atheists/agnostic waitng for some emperical physcl proof- u wont get. God WILL NEVER GIV U. Jesus said one of d proofs to ths Generation is his empty tomb.
Go and reason it.
I ddnt say, christians are d Light of d world, Jesus said it.
And wat he says stands.
You are not ur fathers child by action only but by birth. But u can go and act contrary to ur family values outside. Christians hav Gods nature in them - wen they bcome born again. - . But you hav to grow because ur born a new born babe.
How dyu grow? By feeding. " earnestly desiring the sincere milk of the word tht you may grow thereby"
exercising: "pray without ceasing". Prayg often. Prayg in d Holy Ghost
resistg temptation: so many temptations, endeavourg to practice d truths u learn in d bible etc.
Researchg christianity: in my experience most christians ar a lazy bunch. They hav lil interest in God or His thngs bynd d superfcial.
Infact, wen christian discuss arise they chnge topics.

"the church is becomg more secular"- i admit it. But the church is as spiritual as its average members. However, the bible is your creed not man. Endeavour to liv by d bible standard not man.
I've been adviced to lie many times but i said no. because i know better. Tht doesnt mean i dnt fall and sin but i hav 2 keep reachg.
Whether church members all do it or not, d bible is the standard.

"i once tried to live d christian life but ... ".
The christian life is HARD it's not for babies,but then gettg into som ivy leagues and excellg is equally hard. But, God will help. You hav 2 b sold out and committed. It's hard because a part of us still loves to do evil,it is d struggle wth this part of us dat givs d friction. But if u practice u'll get stronger.
Sadly, i know no youth livg d christian life around me. Infct, i've com to see dat to unmask a person i hav to tip d money bait or d anga bait and d unfold.

"i thnk som of them ar impractcl"
christianity, isnt about rules and chores. But if u begin practcg u'll get to like d life.
Read good christian books. On d worry aspect books by keneth hagin hav really enlightened me.
There is d power dimension to christianity, the faith life, u shd research this also. Without knowg how faith wrks ur christianty cud b dissapointg. Faith is cool.
But start lil.
Nothg God tells u 2 do is impractcl. Anyway, this thngs r for born agains ,if uve gone prodgl u first need to repent and reconcile sincerely wth God.
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by kambo(m): 6:48pm On May 12, 2013
4cassava sticks:
four cassava sticks
ashamed of ur religion!? Boo.
Ths is a faceless forum.
Who really cares who/wat u worshp. * dnt bother replyg*
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by 4cassavasticks: 6:50pm On May 12, 2013
kambo:
ashamed of ur religion!? Boo.
Ths is a faceless forum.
Who really cares who/wat u worshp. * dnt bother replyg*
are you a monkey? these nairaland people sef na wa o! why are you trying to force a religion on me?
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by kambo(m): 7:23pm On May 12, 2013
4cassava sticks:
are you a monkey? these nairaland people sef na wa o! why are you trying to force a religion on me?

are brain dead . Whose forcg a religion on u?. U seem to hav problm interpretg simpl sentences. Or are d 4 cassava stcks d implements for divination?...
Guy b proud of who u ar.
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by 4cassavasticks: 7:25pm On May 12, 2013
kambo:

are brain dead . Whose forcg a religion on u?. U seem to hav problm interpretg simpl sentences. Or are d 4 cassava stcks d implements for divination?...
Guy b proud of who u ar.
I am proud of my cassava sticks na. . .what else do you want me to be proud of? na by force?
Re: Reality Check=> How Practical Are The Teachings Of Jesus The Christ? by Nobody: 7:25pm On May 12, 2013
kambo:

Guy b proud of who u ar.

Maybe he's satanist

(1) (2) (Reply)

An Exclusive Interview With Pastor W.F Kumuyi / The Lies Of The Bible Part 1(christianity Is A Fraud) / Suspension Of 152 Ministers With The Assemblies Of God Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.