Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,270 members, 7,836,219 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Is It Possible For Nozzle Opening To Expand Permanently? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Possible For Nozzle Opening To Expand Permanently? (2284 Views)

Is It Possible For A Car Not To Smoke At All? / Is It Possible For A Car To Be Charmed? / Air Suspension Problem Solved Permanently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible For Nozzle Opening To Expand Permanently? by Cruisez: 5:51pm On May 08, 2013
Let me start by quoting the mechanic; "if you don service the nozzle the car still dey chop fuel, you go change the nozzle be that. The mouth don wide so e come dey spray too much fuel". That was the verdict passed by a mechanic invited to find out why a pool car we use in my office consumes excess fuel. The mechanic neither scanned nor inspected the nozzle. He instantly suggested servicing the nozzle. Thanks to an extensive discussion about servicing nozzles here on nairaland, I lied that it has been serviced in the past to take his mind away from such dangerous practice.

Honestly, I don't know if nozzle opening can expand to the point of needing replacement but something tells me the mechanic's verdict is wrong. He didn't suggest inconsistent pressure, car running rich etc just outright change. So I have come to the experts in the house again like I usually do.
Re: Is It Possible For Nozzle Opening To Expand Permanently? by Ikenna351(m): 6:38pm On May 08, 2013
I have never heard such a joke since i started using EFI car. But then, you have simply proved why i call them clowns.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For Nozzle Opening To Expand Permanently? by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:59pm On May 08, 2013
Cruise-z:
Let me start by quoting the mechanic; "if you don service the nozzle the car still dey chop fuel, you go change the nozzle be that. The mouth don wide so e come dey spray too much fuel". That was the verdict passed by a mechanic invited to find out why a pool car we use in my office consumes excess fuel. The mechanic neither scanned nor inspected the nozzle. He instantly suggested servicing the nozzle. Thanks to an extensive discussion about servicing nozzles here on nairaland, I lied that it has been serviced in the past to take his mind away from such dangerous practice.

Honestly, I don't know if nozzle opening can expand to the point of needing replacement but something tells me the mechanic's verdict is wrong. He didn't suggest inconsistent pressure, car running rich etc just outright change. So I have come to the experts in the house again like I usually do.

there is nothing like that

besides even if it expands the amount of fuel that is being sprayed would be the same since all this is called by the ECU aka brain box so matter how wide or narrow is the opening the amount would be the same

so dont be fooled and conned your money
Re: Is It Possible For Nozzle Opening To Expand Permanently? by Ikenna351(m): 10:03pm On May 08, 2013
Like ZIM DRILL has rightly said, your engine ECU/ECM or PCM determines the amount of fuel that goes into the combustion chambers, not the injectors. Though, injectors could get clogged or develop internal leak which would affect the fuel passing through the injector. And that may lead to increase in fuel consumption. But in no way does the nozzle on the tip of the injector expands. Even if such thing is even possible, its the ground pulse that engine ECU sends to injectors that determines how long injector stays open for fuel to spray into the combustion chambers via intake manifold. That is, the longer the injector stays open, the more fuel goes in. I will explain below.

Now, i dont know about other brands, but i will explain to you how my Lions and other Lions EFI/injection systems work.

Now for Peugeots, Injectors gets constant supply of 12 volts via injectors relay. It comes on as soon as ignition is switched on and the Fuel pump will start running (on some injection systems, not all. Like my ZN3J: LH2-2 system, the fuel pump starts running when the engine is cranked ). Then when you crank a Peugeot EFI engine, the CKP (crankshaft Position sensor), mounted on Bellhousing, senses the spinning of flywheel as engine cranks. Then the CKP signals to Engine ECU that flywheel is rotating (note that Peugeot flywheels have holes on them via which the CKP senses the spinning of the engine as it cranks). Then the ECU interprets the signal it receives from CKP and send power to coil packs for distributorless ignition system or break coil/volts pulse via amplifier module for distributor ignition system, just like my ZN3J. With the power sends to the coil packs or amp module, the spark plugs will get sparks. Then at the same time, the ECU will send ground pulse to injectors, which already have constant 12 volts supply from a relay. As the ground pulse comes and goes, the injectors open, spray fuel and closses. Thats when Peugeot engine starts and run.

Now, if the ECU receives wrong signal from any injection sensor or components, the ECU will start guess work and would increase the duration of the ground pulse been sent to injectors, making the injectors to stay open longer than it should, while excess or unrequired fuel goes in. Thats when your car starts running rich, thirsty or guzzle fuel.

So, your car injectors spray in fuel according to whatever command they receive from the engine ECU, but will spray in excess fuel if clogged. When clogged, the spray patten will be disrupted and they would flow in fuel in a single line, instead of spraying in fuel in form of mist.

Hope my explanations above helps? Note that the above is how Peugeot EFI systems work. I dont know if that is the same with other brands.

Ikenna.
Re: Is It Possible For Nozzle Opening To Expand Permanently? by Cruisez: 6:49am On May 09, 2013
Thank you Ikenna and Zim. Without being a car expert, I knew the mechanic's verdict was wrong. God save us from the increasing number of roadside mechanics.
Re: Is It Possible For Nozzle Opening To Expand Permanently? by deovansa: 7:52pm On May 09, 2013
Ikenna pls send me ur contact on diz no 08032613943.lik 2 ve a discusion wiv u personaly.
Re: Is It Possible For Nozzle Opening To Expand Permanently? by earthrealm(m): 8:41am On May 10, 2013
so many things cause a cars fuel consumption to increase...the first step is to scan the car..then other things follow

when was the plugs changed?...n were the right plugs used as replacement?
what oil grade do u use in servicing and what is ur oil change interval like?
the fuel filter and engine intake air filter...when were they changed etc.............
so my broda simply blaming the nozzles for increased fuel consumption is just hilarious!!! smiley smiley
Re: Is It Possible For Nozzle Opening To Expand Permanently? by olicgad: 9:55pm On Mar 29, 2018
INJECTOR AND NOZZLE SERVICING EXPERT IN LAGOS FOR TRUCKS ONLY. MY WORKSHOP IS AT NNPC DEPOT EJIIGBO LAGOS 08149562895

(1) (Reply)

Man Poses With Customized Trailer With Benz Logo In Ibadan, Oyo State. Photos / Is The Benz ML 350 2010 A Good Car For Use... / Quiz: Guess The Car Brand (let's See How Good You're With Cars)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.