Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,196 members, 7,815,177 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

D’banj Collaborates With Olamide; His Endless Struggle For Relevance Exposed - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / D’banj Collaborates With Olamide; His Endless Struggle For Relevance Exposed (1186 Views)

What Beef? Olamide's Record Label, YBNL Collaborates With Mavin / 7 Celebrities That Have Had Serious Problems With Olamide! / Stormrex Collaborates With Olamide Baddo!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

D’banj Collaborates With Olamide; His Endless Struggle For Relevance Exposed by henrydeelinkag(m): 9:57pm On May 08, 2013
Once upon a time (October 14, 2010), I tweeted ‘Partnerships can hardly work, not unless you’rea duo like Don Jazzy and D’Banj’… this tweet was ‘favourited’ by Don Jazzy. Then two years later (2012), the statement returned to me – void!

A D’BANJ topic at this point in time would arouse mixed feelings, especially amongst and within fans and pundits. Many would never come to an agreement while some would rather rest the case for another day.

We cannot rule out the fact that most people including yours truly are yet to fathom the reality that the ‘Koko Master’ and his erstwhile buddy, Don Jazzy are no longer together – A creative and business divorce.

The breakup cleared arguments about Don Jazzy as a major influence and source of the quality and quantity of music that came from D’Banj. The source of the music was the least of my problem – I just loved what I heard from production to vocals and lyrics. Everything was fine. There’s no point going into the obvious – we all know the breakup story.

The last song that was officially promoted on
Mo’hits was ‘Oliver Twist’. It was and still is a monster hit across the world.

Before the rise of Mo’hits, D’Banj released his first set of songs ‘Kiss Me Again’ ft. Ruggedman,‘One More Time’ and ‘Gba Si Be’ ft. Abounce on OJB’s Silver Tones’ imprint. The advent of Mo’hits and the growth of the D’Banj brand onlygave ‘collabo access’ to label mates and close friends like Ikechukwu (Whine Am Well), Kas (Fimile Remix) and Banky W (Lagos Party Remix).

The dynasty was very rigid in collaboration-related matters. We weren’t sure if it was Don Jazzy’s plot to protect D’Banj’s creative weakness or the latter’s personal choice. However, the release of ‘Mr. Endowed Remix’ with Snoop Dogg in 2011 and the Kanye West-Good Music merger confirmed that D’Banj was not about the local league. He had a bigger dream.

Going over the changes that has transpired afterMo’hits’ breakup will be over-flogging the issue.
A significant change on D’Banj’s side is his sudden presence on other artiste’s songs.

The first was ‘Bad Pass (Tony Montana)’ by Naeto C, followed by Iyanya’s ‘Kukere Remix’. The fact that these songs were already solo hits made his input less relevant especially at a time when fans and the industry at large expect more. Fally Ipupa was featured on ‘We The Best’, off D’Banj’s DKM Album, but the arrangement made it sound like D’Banj was the one featured.

So D’Banj is also cutting in on Olamide’s recent buzz
and they have a song that will be released any time soon. I reckon this is a strategy of some sort to either sustain relevance or a random attempt to cop another hit outside Don Jazzy’s works.

The last Nation’s Cup, placed him on the continent’s spotlight again but instead of unveiling a new song on that platform, he continues with the Don Jazzy produced ‘Oliver Twist’. In my opinion, the ‘Remix’ withKanye West is a waste of an opportunity.

Additions like that are done when you are just paying (oneoff) for the guy to voice a verse or two on your already made song, but when you are a signed artiste on Good Music (especially when it’s a paid merger), creative time should be spent on asong for the sake of the fans and listening community.

Maybe it’s too early to expect much from D’Banjbut I am worried for him already. This is a man who has three flawless albums and countless hitsongs on his belt. Everything he touched in the past was gold and if one artiste was literally way ahead of his time, it was D’Banj. He is the only artiste who would drop his Glo Ambassadorshipdue to complications from renewal talks and fee.Even at that, the guy was not blabbing when he said ‘I make 10 million in a week…’ on ‘Gbono Feli Feli’ (2008). He is still one of the most awarded artistes of the last decade. I mean, if hedrops the music today, his achievement may notbe surpassed in years to come.

The mass influx of sounds and artistes in Nigeria today is enough to distract the most loyal of fans. Ghanaian rapper, Sarkodie already has a lot of fans in Nigeria; same way new artistes are sprawling up every day to have a share of the cake.

I don’t know how long we will have to wait for D’Banj but if the collaborations are intentional and strategic to fuel his relevance – let’s file! Don’t touch it!
[Article by Silas, A Lagos-based writer]

Source: http://www.deelinkage.com/2013/05/dbanj-collaborates-with-olamide-his.html?m=1

Re: D’banj Collaborates With Olamide; His Endless Struggle For Relevance Exposed by babyboy3(m): 10:20pm On May 08, 2013
henry/deelinkag:
Once upon a time (October 14, 2010), I tweeted ‘Partnerships can hardly work, not unless you’rea duo like Don Jazzy and D’Banj’… this tweet was ‘favourited’ by Don Jazzy. Then two years later (2012), the statement returned to me – void!

A D’BANJ topic at this point in time would arouse mixed feelings, especially amongst and within fans and pundits. Many would never come to an agreement while some would rather rest the case for another day.

We cannot rule out the fact that most people including yours truly are yet to fathom the reality that the ‘Koko Master’ and his erstwhile buddy, Don Jazzy are no longer together – A creative and business divorce.

The breakup cleared arguments about Don Jazzy as a major influence and source of the quality and quantity of music that came from D’Banj. The source of the music was the least of my problem – I just loved what I heard from production to vocals and lyrics. Everything was fine. There’s no point going into the obvious – we all know the breakup story.

The last song that was officially promoted on
Mo’hits was ‘Oliver Twist’. It was and still is a monster hit across the world.

Before the rise of Mo’hits, D’Banj released his first set of songs ‘Kiss Me Again’ ft. Ruggedman,‘One More Time’ and ‘Gba Si Be’ ft. Abounce on OJB’s Silver Tones’ imprint. The advent of Mo’hits and the growth of the D’Banj brand onlygave ‘collabo access’ to label mates and close friends like Ikechukwu (Whine Am Well), Kas (Fimile Remix) and Banky W (Lagos Party Remix).

The dynasty was very rigid in collaboration-related matters. We weren’t sure if it was Don Jazzy’s plot to protect D’Banj’s creative weakness or the latter’s personal choice. However, the release of ‘Mr. Endowed Remix’ with Snoop Dogg in 2011 and the Kanye West-Good Music merger confirmed that D’Banj was not about the local league. He had a bigger dream.

Going over the changes that has transpired afterMo’hits’ breakup will be over-flogging the issue.
A significant change on D’Banj’s side is his sudden presence on other artiste’s songs.

The first was ‘Bad Pass (Tony Montana)’ by Naeto C, followed by Iyanya’s ‘Kukere Remix’. The fact that these songs were already solo hits made his input less relevant especially at a time when fans and the industry at large expect more. Fally Ipupa was featured on ‘We The Best’, off D’Banj’s DKM Album, but the arrangement made it sound like D’Banj was the one featured.

So D’Banj is also cutting in on Olamide’s recent buzz
and they have a song that will be released any time soon. I reckon this is a strategy of some sort to either sustain relevance or a random attempt to cop another hit outside Don Jazzy’s works.

The last Nation’s Cup, placed him on the continent’s spotlight again but instead of unveiling a new song on that platform, he continues with the Don Jazzy produced ‘Oliver Twist’. In my opinion, the ‘Remix’ withKanye West is a waste of an opportunity.

Additions like that are done when you are just paying (oneoff) for the guy to voice a verse or two on your already made song, but when you are a signed artiste on Good Music (especially when it’s a paid merger), creative time should be spent on asong for the sake of the fans and listening community.

Maybe it’s too early to expect much from D’Banjbut I am worried for him already. This is a man who has three flawless albums and countless hitsongs on his belt. Everything he touched in the past was gold and if one artiste was literally way ahead of his time, it was D’Banj. He is the only artiste who would drop his Glo Ambassadorshipdue to complications from renewal talks and fee.Even at that, the guy was not blabbing when he said ‘I make 10 million in a week…’ on ‘Gbono Feli Feli’ (2008). He is still one of the most awarded artistes of the last decade. I mean, if hedrops the music today, his achievement may notbe surpassed in years to come.

The mass influx of sounds and artistes in Nigeria today is enough to distract the most loyal of fans. Ghanaian rapper, Sarkodie already has a lot of fans in Nigeria; same way new artistes are sprawling up every day to have a share of the cake.

I don’t know how long we will have to wait for D’Banj but if the collaborations are intentional and strategic to fuel his relevance – let’s file! Don’t touch it!
[Article by Silas, A Lagos-based writer]

Source: http://www.deelinkage.com/2013/05/dbanj-collaborates-with-olamide-his.html?m=1

Another Don Jazzy fanboy!!!!

Answer this should Jay Z go back to Damon Dash?

1 Like

Re: D’banj Collaborates With Olamide; His Endless Struggle For Relevance Exposed by Darlenebabe: 10:23pm On May 08, 2013
dbanj pls shave ur beard
Re: D’banj Collaborates With Olamide; His Endless Struggle For Relevance Exposed by Nobody: 10:37pm On May 08, 2013
:how e take concern U ? @ OP
Re: D’banj Collaborates With Olamide; His Endless Struggle For Relevance Exposed by Mcleo007(m): 10:07am On May 09, 2013
Such a needless article. Everything, i mean most of what you wrote indicates disdain. You appear to be stuck in the D'banj/Don Jazzy era. Get one thing, people move on and only constant factor in life is change. Even change itself changes. Dbanj is a smart business man. He knows what he wants nd has always gotten it. What you think or write about him would not change that fact. He's about the most successful music entrepreneurs to come out of this country.
Re: D’banj Collaborates With Olamide; His Endless Struggle For Relevance Exposed by kingingkinging: 12:07pm On May 09, 2013
Your post is apparently meant to boost don Jazzy's dying profile and sink D'Banj's.

After their separation, D' Banj has been nominated for more than 15 awards. He has won few of then including BET, MTV,World Music Awards, etc.

He released single for African Nations' Cup and was the geust artist there at the final.

He has been featured on foreign albums and has prospect in more.

He had sold-out concerts in London, Lagos and the US.

Don Jazzy also has been given an endorsement by Loyal Milk and Samsung.

Jazzy has released the first Mavin Album.

If you compare the two, by my assessment, D' Banj is leading. He has more personal success records than Don Jazzy.

D'Banj may get a good producer but it wont be easy for Jazzy to get a new D'Baj.

The final point is they both lost the synergy in their union. Both will suffer at the initial stage.
Re: D’banj Collaborates With Olamide; His Endless Struggle For Relevance Exposed by Mcleo007(m): 1:53pm On May 09, 2013
kingingkinging: Your post is apparently meant to boost don Jazzy's dying profile and sink D'Banj's.

After their separation, D' Banj has been nominated for more than 15 awards. He has won few of then including BET, MTV,World Music Awards, etc.

He released single for African Nations' Cup and was the geust artist there at the final.

He has been featured on foreign albums and has prospect in more.

He had sold-out concerts in London, Lagos and the US.

Don Jazzy also has been given an endorsement by Loyal Milk and Samsung.

Jazzy has released the first Mavin Album.

If you compare the two, by my assessment, D' Banj is leading. He has more personal success records than Don Jazzy.

D'Banj may get a good producer but it wont be easy for Jazzy to get a new D'Baj.

The final point is they both lost the synergy in their union. Both will suffer at the initial stage.

People seem to overlook D'banj's continous success since the break up. He remains a doyen in the music scene and would remain so for a very long time. It is easy to replace every Don Jazzy, but same can not be said for D'banj. If it were so, we would have had someone rise to the level D'banj had gotten to from within the Mavin camp. Much respect to Don Jazzy. Articles like this only foster mispositioned recluse to people that are worthy of sane mention.

(1) (Reply)

Nickelodeon Star Lucas Cruikshank Comes Out As Gay! / Photos: Actress Ini Edo Steps Out With Hubby In London / Chika Ike Rocks Red Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.