Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,962 members, 7,825,016 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

BRT - The Beginning of the End? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BRT - The Beginning of the End? (13367 Views)

9 Soldiers Pay Fine, For Using BRT Lane..... / Ambode's Monitoring Team Arrest Cars Plying BRT Lane (Photos) / The Beginning Of The End Of The Bola Tinubu Dynasty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

BRT - The Beginning of the End? by nuwell(m): 8:58am On May 09, 2013
Part 1 - Trapped. Help!
I watched again yesterday as another molue BRT bus was loaded and dispatched. As has become the norm along the Ikeja-Iyana Ipaja route which I ply regularly, the bus was OVER-loaded. So much so that the men who were loading and dispatching the buses began to admit people through the exit (rear) door into the already crowded vehicle. When a few of the passengers already standing, tightly packed inside protested against being inconvenienced, the official in question commented to those around him, 'Some people are wicked o!' He simply couldn't relate with why 'some people' were hesitant about being harassed at being stuffed like sardines in a bus, for an hour-long drive.

I mentally shook my head (I did not have the strength to comment, let alone facilitate unnecessary bodily movement).

The man's utter insensitivity to the plight of the passengers let alone the reputation of his organization or even the hazards of the bad practice he was facilitating, completely bewildered me.

I had always blamed this development solely on the bus operators but it abruptly dawned on me at that moment that commuters are equally culpable - actually the Bulk portion of blame.

It is attitudes such as this from both concerned quarters - service providers and service consumers - that will truncate the BRT vision, if unchecked. No system collapses abruptly. In my line of work, I am daily confronted with the knowledge that for every accident that occurs, there are Causal and Contributory factors. An effect (mishap, accident, failure) may often be averted or mitigated despite the cause, if contributory factors are eliminated. Hence I preserve hope in spite of the ominous collapse of this laudable initiative, especially in view of the sad history of similar initiatives in the past.

So back to the question, not of who to blame, but how the blame should be apportioned.

Must Nigerians always be docile, accepting and even proponents of the unsavoury conditions they daily encounter? Why do we so easily resign to fate and smother our faith? The BRT situation is only one manifestation of this trend.

On the said day, I had even been standing at the bus stop for about an hour waiting for a bus, in a long queue that alternately thinned and coalesced according to the strength and/or patience of the other commuters (a discussion for another day). When the bus eventually arrived, we boarded until it was also overloaded. Of course, I had ensured I obtained a window seat so as to distance myself from the anticipated confusion in the aisle. My expectations were not disappointed. Shortly after departure from the terminal, the bus stopped once again, apparently to take on more passengers!

Of course, there were the few grunts of protest, a few outbursts (more of impatience than anger), even a joke or two about where the driver intended to place the new entrants. I was not amused in the least and I broke my usual reticence to voice a protest. I was tempted to start a revolt. But confrontation has never really been one of my strong points, much less physical ones.

There's only so much a one-man army can accomplish, I consoled myself, especially if those with whom you share the cause are complacent about their lot. But there will be days when logic will have to submit to brute force. So I will prepare for such a time.

On the part of the government and other relevant authorities, it baffles me that they would allow such a worthy enterprise to be mismanaged and this, not for want of evidence of these lapses requiring attention or a dearth of ideas of courses of action to take. Measures as simple as placing load restrictions on the buses could make a world of difference. I don't know if such exists. The franchisees being more concerned with their profit margins than with quality service delivery, are lackadaisical about the welfare of their customers. I am not privy to the terms of the contract between the State government and the operators but I believe certain aspects of it are being violated. From my observations, the drivers are rewarded on a sort of quota system based on the volume of traffic they move daily. I might have assumed wrongly but it was just my observation. This would explain why drivers would allow their vehicles to be so precariously loaded, in total violation of safety concerns.

To be continued...

(c) www.nu-well..com

3 Likes

Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by Nobody: 9:29am On May 09, 2013
The trains are overloaded, BRT buses are also overloaded. Its a Nigerian problem. The positive change we need begins with you and me

2 Likes

Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by nuwell(m): 9:48am On May 09, 2013
^
True. It begins with you and I. But I'm particular pained by the state of affairs of the BRT. I celebrate(d) its initiation. I loved (and still love)the concept. So it's painful to observe its imminent downfall. I'm still pondering on what actions I can personally take or induce to address this tide. I don't board overcrowded buses and I discourage people from doing so. Recently, I've initiated a boycott of the service sef. But all these measures look like a drop in the ocean.
By the way, overcrowding is ONLY one of the cancers eating at this system
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by PapaBrowne(m): 10:45am On May 09, 2013
Truth is the BRT is loosing its steam. I have always wondered why despite the popularity, Fashola hasnt built new BRT lanes nor has he added sufficient amounts of new buses on the routes.
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by nuwell(m): 10:54am On May 09, 2013
PapaBrowne: Truth is the BRT is loosing its steam. I have always wondered why despite the popularity, Fashola hasnt built new BRT lanes nor has he added sufficient amounts of new buses on the routes.

It seems he's busy with other more pressing matters such as the light-rail thing. We've never lacked imagination for new innovations in Nigeria as far as I'm concerned. Sustaining them has been the bane of our systems. BRT is unnecessarily loosing steam 'cos the way I see it, it won't take too much to rectify some of the issues plaguing it now. Just some stricter regulation and close monitoring I believe, will achieve so much

5 Likes

Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by Bontee: 1:21pm On May 09, 2013
The system has not been really managed well in my opinion, it is not different from the normal non BRT service if the operators are rendering their service based on per bus system.

The truth of the matter is that the implementation should have been from the angle of licensing routes, areas through tenure, time or days slots to existing bus or transport operators. That is how a transportation system works, you license it to companies, give them a service contract to follow with penalties and set targets for development or milestones to meet as the years passes by.

We have countless transport companies in Nigeria like ABC, Chisco, Young shall grow and all that. You license to them for three to five years and they bid for it again with other operators at the end of the contracted tenure. Through this system they will sit up or loose those contract to other operators in the system.

You can do the same for the none BRT system and trust me things will not be as choatic as we have it today. Then empower ( is it LAWMA OR LAMATA ) to do the route, scheduling and price planning. They should be the one to negotiate and award contracts to service operators. Monitor them to follow the agreed contractual terms and to curb corruption the staffs of these service companies are fully contracted to the state or partially.

To me the lagos state government is just throwing her legs into stuff that is meant for private management.

2 Likes

Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by bloggernaija: 1:29pm On May 09, 2013
Try london underground or overground during rush hour.there is nothing unique about that picture. it is the same challenge worldwideStop complaining. You live in a city. It is one of the disadvantage of living in one.the matter is millions of people trying to get from point A to point B at the same time ( rush hour) in a state of 4000 square mile.

7 Likes

Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by bloggernaija: 1:31pm On May 09, 2013
More

Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by bloggernaija: 1:32pm On May 09, 2013
This is cattle class

Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by otokx(m): 1:49pm On May 09, 2013
There should be a maximum loading capacity, is it when somebody faints or dies in that place that the right thing will be done? unlike London underground that has natural a/c especially during winter, our weather here is humid and hot.
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by nuwell(m): 2:27pm On May 09, 2013
bloggernaija: Try london underground or overground during rush hour.there is nothing unique about that picture. it is the same challenge worldwideStop complaining. You live in a city. It is one of the disadvantage of living in one.the matter is millions of people trying to get from point A to point B at the same time ( rush hour) in a state of 4000 square mile.

True, bro. But the overcrowding in this case is a symptom of mismanagement. That's my contention. Most of the time, while buses are being overcrowded at one end of a route, several buses are standing empty at the other end. Imagine 90-minute to two hour intervals between bus arrivals! Haba! How is someone with appointments to keep supposed to get about on such a schedule or non-schedule? The BRT is supposed to provide a model of quality service for the private bus operators. The only selling point the BRT system has in Lagos now is its relatively lower fares.

2 Likes

Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by nuwell(m): 2:28pm On May 09, 2013
bloggernaija: This is cattle class

grin grin grin
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by nuwell(m): 2:33pm On May 09, 2013
Bontee: The system has not been really managed well in my opinion, it is not different from the normal non BRT service if the operators are rendering their service based on per bus system.

The truth of the matter is that the implementation should have been from the angle of licensing routes, areas through tenure, time or days slots to existing bus or transport operators. That is how a transportation system works, you license it to companies, give them a service contract to follow with penalties and set targets for development or milestones to meet as the years passes by.

We have countless transport companies in Nigeria like ABC, Chisco, Young shall grow and all that. You license to them for three to five years and they bid for it again with other operators at the end of the contracted tenure. Through this system they will sit up or loose those contract to other operators in the system.

You can do the same for the none BRT system and trust me things will not be as choatic as we have it today. Then empower ( is it LAWMA OR LAMATA ) to do the route, scheduling and price planning. They should be the one to negotiate and award contracts to service operators.

Monitor them to follow the agreed contractual terms and to curb corruption the staffs of these service companies are fully contracted to the state or partially
I don't know what monitoring systems have been put in place for the BRT in Lagos. This alone could serve to correct some ills. As it is, it seems the operators are just left to their devices.

To me the lagos state government is just throwing her legs into stuff that is meant for private management.

Bro, you raised some interesting issues here that need to be investigated. Can you recommend any transport system model anywhere in the world that I can get info about to study. Thanks
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by Bontee: 2:34pm On May 09, 2013
Everybody knows what rush hour means and we cannot used that to overlook the other sore aspects of the system. I don't think we should even be having overcrowding if it is properly managed. The pictures shown above are those of metros or trains but not bus like we have in the BRT system.

It is possible to manage rush hours but it will come at a loss of revenue or profits so that's why it is mostly left that way. The BRT system needs to be properly managed well and we will not have issues like those mentioned in the original post. There will always be crowding during rush hours but this is more like an artificial induced rush hour than the system reaching is maximum servicing point during this periods.

@nu_well I will check for that later, UN or Worldbank has a comprehensive model but i will research later.

1 Like

Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by Hardfact: 2:56pm On May 09, 2013
No surprise at all. Only time will tell . . . .
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by nuwell(m): 3:01pm On May 09, 2013
Bontee:
@nu_well I will check for that later, UN or Worldbank has a comprehensive model but i will research later.

Thanks. Be expecting your response. I'll try to do some homework from here too
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by effisyman: 3:18pm On May 09, 2013
Maintainance culture is a major problem in Nigeria as a whole.
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by pomporiking: 3:18pm On May 09, 2013
All dese long story for brt busOga go buy car jhor

1 Like

Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by omiobo: 3:20pm On May 09, 2013
This thread again? Mod wake up!
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by nuwell(m): 3:25pm On May 09, 2013
pompori king: All dese long story for brt busOga go buy car jhor

undecided tongue

Thanks for patiently reading through, Sir. But we cannot keep quiet because we can afford vehicles and allow others who can't and must patronize the system go to blazes. I narrated this in the first person, but I believe it is the experience of many other voiceless people, many of whom I have stood in line with an listen to their griping.

1 Like

Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by RiKKies001: 3:31pm On May 09, 2013
It's the Blue-bus that are in sorry states. I understand the NURTW (Union guys)operates those. The LAGBUS (Red bus) are still very muck okay.

[url=our-naija-men..com/] Click Here [/url]
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by mapet: 3:36pm On May 09, 2013
I think you may need to research more into the mode of Lagos BRT system. Trust me, the tried the model of the Licensing route with a company (what was their name), it didn't work.

You need to understand this is an evolving system and it takes some time to mature. the problem we have is with the blue buses, the ones run by the NURTW. It is my opinion to allow them also to mature. These are the molue owners and drivers in the old system and a way of achieving the win-win situation was also to bring them into the scheme and license them on the heavy loaded routes. Not to also forget that these guys have years of experience with "haulage" of crowd.

I sometime take the blue buses to work on Ikorodu road and my thoughts are these
1. It's currently a situation we can't help. The BRT system is outweighed by the Lagos population (BRT+Currnet Danfos & Buses, yet we're still crowded)
2. Increasing the buses on some route will make the BRT lanes to be crowded and will be jammed, worse off than the non priority lanes
3. BRT needs other transport system to complement transportation in Lagos. Until we go full blow on Lagos intra-city rail, we will still bear the burden for some time
4. Buying more buses will not solve the problem fully.
5. The Lagos State government needs to speed up the BRT assembly plant and maintenance workshops, so that regular maintenance can be carried out. I expect each of the BRT busses to be serviced every 5days, some consumable parts replaced every 2weeks and total overhaul or face-out every 15-24months.
nu-well:

True, bro. But the overcrowding in this case is a symptom of mismanagement. That's my contention. Most of the time, while buses are being overcrowded at one end of a route, several buses are standing empty at the other end. Imagine 90-minute to two hour intervals between bus arrivals! Haba! When is someone with a appointments to keep supposed to get about on such a schedule or non-schedule? The BRT is supposed to provide a model of quality service for the private bus operators. The only selling point the BRT system has in Lagos now is its relatively lower fares.

5 Likes

Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by nuwell(m): 3:37pm On May 09, 2013
RiKKies001: It's the Blue-bus that are in sorry states. I understand the NURTW (Union guys)operates those. The LAGBUS (Red bus) are still very muck okay.

So I hear too. But it remains to be seen how the same trend won't spread before long.
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by dridowu: 3:59pm On May 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The trains are overloaded, BRT buses are also overloaded. Its a Nigerian problem. The positive change we need begins with you and me
2nd comet u make as a " real sincere 9jerian " not as a pdp supporter.
9ce 1

1 Like

Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by slimfit1(m): 4:12pm On May 09, 2013
Fashola needs to work on policies that works
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by Nobody: 4:16pm On May 09, 2013
I take the BRT to and from work everyday.

The major challenge, I think, is poor maintenance of what is on ground. Evidences are the number of grounded buses in the Ojota and Keffi parks. Close to 70 aren't road worthy anymore.

I don't think getting more buses is the issue. There are just too many people wanting to go to the same place in this Lagos. Introducing more buses will just make us wait longer in BRT lanes because it will mean more buses are plying that route.

We still need other affordable and prompt forms of transportation besides road transport.

1 Like

Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by Bontee: 4:20pm On May 09, 2013
nu-well:

Thanks. Be expecting your response. I'll try to do some homework from here too

This is all i can find for now but i think you will surely find something from them so just save them and study it later.

lagos brt system in worldbank
http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/NEWS/0,,contentMDK:23025996~menuPK:141311~pagePK:34370~piPK:34424~theSitePK:4607,00.html

reducing congestion strategy
http://luts.epfl.ch/

Simple introduction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_transport_bus_service
http://www.reinventingtransport.org/2008/10/bus-systems-that-work.html

brt brazil model
http://www.urbanhabitat.org/node/344
http://www.pps.org/great_public_spaces/one?public_place_id=613

example of what lamata should be
http://www.hsl.fi/EN/Pages/default.aspx

How to set up and run brt
http://www.itdp.org/microsites/bus-rapid-transit-planning-guide/
http://www.nbrti.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_rapid_transit

city examples
http://www.corvallisoregon.gov/index.aspx?page=167
http://bmetro.cob.us/routes Cclick on each route for more info )

service provider
http://www.goalsystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=164&Itemid=221&lang=en

comparing different models
http://www.bitre.gov.au/publications/1998/wp_039.aspx
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by gidig(m): 4:27pm On May 09, 2013
I think the need for an alternative is glaring. I cant wait for the large capacity ferries that the Lagos state government ordered from Australia. Since the race is mostly between island and the mainland, that will create a safe alternative for people around lagos and we only need to go to the jetties.
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by BeraBera(f): 4:30pm On May 09, 2013
But why on earth would somebody still enter a BRT bus, seeing that it is jam-packed already? Do we also need the government or monitoring systems to tell us that "the bus is full, please do not enter?!"

2 Likes

Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by nuwell(m): 4:36pm On May 09, 2013
Bontee:

This is all i can find for now but i think you will surely find something from them so just save them and study it later.

lagos brt system in worldbank
http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/NEWS/0,,contentMDK:23025996~menuPK:141311~pagePK:34370~piPK:34424~theSitePK:4607,00.html

reducing congestion strategy
http://luts.epfl.ch/

Simple introduction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_transport_bus_service
http://www.reinventingtransport.org/2008/10/bus-systems-that-work.html

brt brazil model
http://www.urbanhabitat.org/node/344
http://www.pps.org/great_public_spaces/one?public_place_id=613

example of what lamata should be
http://www.hsl.fi/EN/Pages/default.aspx

How to set up and run brt
http://www.itdp.org/microsites/bus-rapid-transit-planning-guide/
http://www.nbrti.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_rapid_transit

city examples
http://www.corvallisoregon.gov/index.aspx?page=167
http://bmetro.cob.us/routes Cclick on each route for more info )

service provider
http://www.goalsystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=164&Itemid=221&lang=en

comparing different models
http://www.bitre.gov.au/publications/1998/wp_039.aspx

Walahi, aboki na. Allah y'albarkache ka. God bless you, jare. Thanks for the links.
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by Ishilove: 5:16pm On May 09, 2013
@op. I love the way you write smiley

It was because of overcrowding that I stopped boarding molues, especially 'standing'. It ain't funny having your boobs squashed against the back of a stranger all in the name of 'standing'. Now the same trend has found its way to BRT.
Re: BRT - The Beginning of the End? by Afam4eva(m): 5:42pm On May 09, 2013
Ishilove: @op. I love the way you write smiley

It was because of overcrowding that I stopped boarding molues, especially 'standing'. It ain't funny having your boobs squashed against the back of a stranger all in the name of 'standing'. Now the same trend has found its way to BRT.
I won't mind standing in front of you in a bus grin

@topic
The LASG should endeavour to provide more buses to align with the population. Afterall it's for this reason that LAgos state recieves massive allocation from the FG despite not being an oil producing state.

(1) (2) (Reply)

CCB Uncovers Orubebe’s Property In Abuja / Current List Of State Commissioners Of Police / APC Leaders, Tinubu To Meet Buhari In Daura Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.