Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,909 members, 7,838,238 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? (3258 Views)

My Fellow Atheists...it's High Time We Went Political To Rebuild This Nation. / Atheists Have A Religion / Do Atheists Have Hope? What Is Their Purpose In Life? What Keeps Atheists Alive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 1:13pm On May 10, 2013
musKeeto:

To make it worse, they claim he can interact with us through 'prayers' and a 'still small voice'.. yet everyone of them hears differently (consider the tithe and trinity issues)... isn't that proof that it's all in their head?
see,that is true.if only you can just come to him in Humility and submission you will know that we can communicate with him through prayers.And He also speaks in an audible voice too
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 1:15pm On May 10, 2013
plaetton:

I can make the same argument.
How can a thinking human being believe that god just jumped from out nowhere with being created from another, and then created the universe?
Get my drift?

Yes! You are right and I agree with the above but what we can't shake is the fact that the Universe is here and someone or something must have put it here...that someone or something is who/what I call God.

plaetton:
Again again and again, if you believe with certainty that someone put the universe here, but you simply cannot explain who that someone is or the origin of that someone, then that belief is silly.

An inability to explain something because of incomplete knowledge does not make it silly...Science cannot tell us the how, where, why, or when (exactly when) of humans...does this make science silly?

plaetton:
That is my point.
How can you maintain that the origin of god is beyond human comprehension and yet believe that the same invisible god exists?.

There are a lot of things that are beyond human comprehension but it does not mean that those things do not exist.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 10, 2013
musKeeto:

To make it worse, they claim he can interact with us through 'prayers' and a 'still small voice'.. yet everyone of them hears differently (consider the tithe and trinity issues)... isn't that proof that it's all in their head?

You know how things go Musky...people can make bad out of a good thing...
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 1:18pm On May 10, 2013
Ozegbe:
true. Agnostic are actually weak atheists

grin
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 1:26pm On May 10, 2013
musKeeto:
Let's say God created the universe. Does he have any other functions? The earth's still spinning, you know.. smiley

..and how do you know that the Earth's spinning is not dependent on this deity being alive? Think of a computer...we buy but buying one does not mean that is all we need...there is a need to charge the battery and replace it when the need arise etc. catch the jeck?

musKeeto:
Well, just for the sake of argument and not wanting to lose, the 'blue horse' created me.. grin or ooman's pig..

Well that would only mean the God I talk about is the 'blue horse' you refer to because then the creation of the Universe will be attributed to your 'blue horse'...ever wondered why I call Olodumare and Chukwu the God I talk about but not Sango?

musKeeto:
Same thing I could ask about your GOD? When he said let there be light, was he tired of living in darkness? wink

Lol!!! Funny there musky...the God I talk about has the 'fullness' of light...He actually brought light and not that he was living in darkness...Remember that the Earth was not his abode...

musKeeto:
Lol. So cryptic.

Lol!!!
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by kambo(m): 1:46pm On May 10, 2013
Evil Brain:

Oh for fück's sake, not this nonsense argument again!

Read this post slowly, so you understand. Natural selection is not a random choice. In fact it is the opposite of random. It is a natural way of picking the most viable option out of countless possibilities.

You mentioned 30 million genes which seperate us from apes. It is true that any one of these genes could become mutated, but what you haven't recognized is that most of those mutations would result in a non-viable organism. Over 75% of all humans ever conceived end up as miscarriages mostly due to genetic mutations.

Of those mutants that survive long enough to be born, most would have diseases that render them sterile or prevent them from reaching adulthood or sèxual maturity. sickle cell disease is a mutation of one single base pair (out of 3 billion) yet even with the best medical care, most sufferers don't live past early adulthood, and very few get to have children.

Only a tiny fraction of your 4^30 million possible mutations could produce a viable adult human capable of reproducing, and that is where natural selection comes in. Living things are constantly competing against each other and its the strong that survive. If you happen to carry a mutation that puts you at a disadvantage to others (eg one that gives you a big ugly nose) you'll be less likely to have children because only ugly girls who can't get normal looking guys will be willing to slèèp with you. And if any kids you manage to have inherit your big nose gene, they'll have the same problem as well. With time your big nose gene will become very rare or die out completely.

On the other hand, the genes that gives you an advantage over others will do the opposite. Imagine a gene that makes African children resistant to malaria. With each generation, more malaria resistant babies will survive, while more of their "normal" mates die. As long as the mutation doesn't have any major disadvantages, it will become more and more common until it eventually becomes the new normal.

And that's the short version of how natural selection, genetic drift and evolution work.

Any questions?

i'm not conversant enuff in d medical/scientifc field to make
sound enuff deductions as i wud like to. A more informed person wud run rings around me.
But even wt dat theyre some logical arguments dat cud b proposed..
Point is to b able to poke holes at
som scientific claims a groundg or sufficient understndg of d scientfc foundation of d partclr field e.g genetcs must b acquired.
U agree wt these.
Same princple applies scripturally, to make an assertion about d bible God, groundg in the framework of the cosmic story must b acquired without wich ur liable to fire lopsided , perverted arguments while contestg ,in pride, for its verity. If i say for example theres is no atg,no dna etc. No dna permutation process frm wich only a small percentage survive , then we cant even reason out. In d same way if atheists deny some given bible facts like man is a Spirit and theres a spirit world.. Reasong bcmes impossible on many issues . Because these assertions are d buildg blocks for higher thoughts like ATG is d buildg block for dna.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 1:48pm On May 10, 2013
Niflheim: @muskeeto,you are so correct,the same god cannot be talking to all pastors and yet they come to us with different messages, these are symptoms of schizophrenia!!!

Please quote me...

Not every pastor is of God!!!
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by plaetton: 2:07pm On May 10, 2013
striktlymi:

Yes! You are right and I agree with the above but what we can't shake is the fact that the Universe is here and someone or something must have put it here...that someone or something is who/what I call God.

An inability to explain something because of incomplete knowledge does not make it silly...Science cannot tell us the how, where, why, or when (exactly when) of humans...does this make science silly?

There are a lot of things that are beyond human comprehension but it does not mean that those things do not exist.

Things like?
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by plaetton: 2:09pm On May 10, 2013
striktlymi:

Do you agree then that god is simply a notion?
Whether a grand notion or a silly notion, but nevertheless, a notion?.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by plaetton: 2:20pm On May 10, 2013
kambo:

i'm not conversant enuff in d medical/scientifc field to make
sound enuff deductions as i wud like to. A more informed person wud run rings around me.
But even wt dat theyre some logical arguments dat cud b proposed..
Point is to b able to poke holes at
som scientific claims a groundg or sufficient understndg of d scientfc foundation of d partclr field e.g genetcs must b acquired.
U agree wt these.
Same princple applies scripturally, to make an assertion about d bible God, groundg in the framework of the cosmic story must b acquired without wich ur liable to fire lopsided , perverted arguments while contestg ,in pride, for its verity. If i say for example theres is no atg,no dna etc. No dna permutation process frm wich only a small percentage survive , then we cant even reason out. In d same way if atheists deny some given bible facts like man is a Spirit and theres a spirit world.. Reasong bcmes impossible on many issues . Because these assertions are d buildg blocks for higher thoughts like ATG is d buildg block for dna.

The big difference here is that no scientists claims a monopoly of scientific knowledge. Scientific knowledge is open to everyone, irrespective of religious affiliation. What is true to one scientists have to be proven to other scientists as well as non-scientists.
By the same token, if an atheists can read the scriptures, he should also be able to see same things and hear the same voices or spirits that a so-called mog can do.
Why not?
Why can't I hear god speaking or the holy ghost speaking to me? Why Do others and I see only fraud , manipulations and delusions in the same scriptures?
Is there some kind of mental deficiency among atheists or are the scriptures themselves deficient?

Isn't recourse to "spiritual principles" a copout of last resort?
If I ask you to explain spiritual principles in detail, you would then tell me that they are things beyond human comprehension, just like god.
Haba!
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 2:56pm On May 10, 2013
plaetton: [/b]

The big difference here is that no scientists claims a monopoly of scientific knowledge. Scientific knowledge is open to everyone, irrespective of religious affiliation. What is true to one scientists have to be proven to other scientists as well as non-scientists.
By the same token, if an atheists can read the scriptures, he should also be able to see same things and hear the same voices or spirits that a so-called mog can do.
Why not?
Why can't I hear god speaking or the holy ghost speaking to me? Why Do others and I see only fraud , manipulations and delusions in the same scriptures?
Is there some kind of mental deficiency among atheists or are the scriptures themselves deficient?

Isn't recourse to "spiritual principles" a copout of last resort?
If I ask you to explain spiritual principles in detail, you would then tell me that they are things beyond human comprehension, just like god.
Haba!

how will you be able to hear him when he speaks when You don't believe that he EVEN EXISTS. you want proof meanwhile that bible says without FAITH(which i think you dnt believe in)you cannot please him.you want to walk by sight but he is sayin You walk by faith.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 3:16pm On May 10, 2013
Dux-01:
how will you be able to hear him when he speaks when You don't believe that he EVEN EXISTS. you want proof meanwhile that bible says without FAITH(which i think you dnt believe in)you cannot please him.you want to walk by sight but he is sayin You walk by faith.
Same faith that leads the Muslim to Islam, the Christian to Christ, the Hindu to Krishna, the Yorubaman to Oduduwa, the Igbo to Chineke...

smh...
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Niflheim(m): 3:37pm On May 10, 2013
@striktlymi,why were you clapping for Nikkyshyne when you yourself knew that she failed woefully in the area of Freewill(It does not exist) and worshipping something just because it created you(The company called irobot in the US,makes robots to help people and not for the purpose of worshipping people)...............................................................@striktlymi,are you trying to promote ignorance here?
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 10, 2013
plaetton: [/b]

Things like?

Let's have the human brain for starters...
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 4:05pm On May 10, 2013
plaetton:

Do you agree then that god is simply a notion?
Whether a grand notion or a silly notion, but nevertheless, a notion?.

If by 'notion' you mean an idea, a concept, someone's thoughts or mere opinion then the answer is NO!!!
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 4:07pm On May 10, 2013
Dux-01:

Hi there Dux,

Don't you think that it is not necessary for one to believe in God first before one experience him?
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 10, 2013
musKeeto:
Same faith that leads the Muslim to Islam, the Christian to Christ, the Hindu to Krishna, the Yorubaman to Oduduwa, the Igbo to Chineke...

smh...

Hey musky,

Nah men...that is man for you!
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 4:22pm On May 10, 2013
Hi Nif,

Niflheim: @striktlymi,why were you clapping for Nikkyshyne when you yourself knew that she failed woefully in the area of Freewill(It does not exist)

Um...actually she didn't say much about freewill, she only mentioned it in passing. I believe freewill exists but discussing about it will only derail the thread...

Niflheim:
and worshipping something just because it created you(The company called irobot in the US,makes robots to help people and not for the purpose of worshipping

Though the comparison is less than adequate but common Nif, what really do these robots do if not to slave for man? That to me is the 'commander in Chief of worship'...

Niflheim:
people)...............................................................@striktlymi,are you trying to promote ignorance here?

Well I don't know exactly what I have posted for you to ask that question but if you have an ish with my thought process as far as my posts are concerned then let's have it and we will review them together...if I am wrong, I will apologize.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Ozegbe(m): 4:32pm On May 10, 2013
striktlymi:

Hey musky,

Nah men...that is man for you!
@striktlymi am just curious to know if you go to church every sunday, clapping, singing and dancing and even praying to god in the name of jesus? Am asking because you seem enlightened enough to be doing dat.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by plaetton: 4:34pm On May 10, 2013
striktlymi:

Let's have the human brain for starters...

We know the human brain. we touch it, we experiment with it, we know what it does and we have an idea, although limited, of how it works.
We know what areas of the brain controls what bodily functions.
The brain is not an abstract notion. It is a real physical object.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 4:34pm On May 10, 2013
Ozegbe:
@striktlymi am just curious to know if you go to church every sunday, clapping, singing and dancing and even praying to god in the name of jesus? Am asking because you seem enlightened enough to be doing dat.

The bold got me laughing real hard...it is impossible to miss the sarcasm...

1 Like

Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by plaetton: 4:42pm On May 10, 2013
Dux-01:

Bingo! my friend.
Faith is the key word here.
Faith is what seperates facts from fables.
Is Faith not a product of the mind?

In simple words, through faith the mind reconfigures itself to believe in and to perceive god, right?

So when an atheist says that god is a product of the mind, why would you argue with that assertion?

1 Like

Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Ozegbe(m): 4:46pm On May 10, 2013
striktlymi:

The bold got me laughing real hard...it is impossible to miss the sarcasm...
you have not answered my question. You shouldnt be on that side of the road. By the way would you also mind telling me the part of the bible you believe in? Sowie, i actually meant the church you attend
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 10, 2013
plaetton:

We know the human brain. we touch it, we experiment with it, we know what it does and we have an idea, although limited, of how it works.
We know what areas of the brain controls what bodily functions.
The brain is not an abstract notion. It is a real physical object.

If I were an examiner and you the examinee...I would have scored the above 95%...

Some would say...what the heck...it's still an A+ but others would come knocking at my door demanding an explanation for the shortfall...

Well plaetton you are correct but what lead us here is the inability of man to comprehend a lot of things which we know exist...the brain holds a lot of mysteries that man is yet to understand...
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 4:50pm On May 10, 2013
striktlymi:

If I were an examiner and you the examinee...I would have scored the above 95%...

Some would say...what the heck...it's still an A+ but others would come knocking at my door demanding an explanation for the shortfall...

Well plaetton you are correct but what lead us here is the inability of man to comprehend a lot of things which we know exist...the brain holds a lot of mysteries that man is yet to understand...

Just shut up. The simple point is that the brain is physical not an abstract

All your babbling about mystery is irrelevant.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 10, 2013
plaetton:

Bingo! my friend.
Faith is the key word here.
Faith is what seperates facts from fables.
Is Faith not a product of the mind?

In simple words, through faith the mind reconfigures itself to believe in and to perceive god, right?

So when an atheist says that god is a product of the mind, why would you argue with that assertion?

Sorry to butt-in Plaetton but the bold is not entirely correct...

Having faith in something does not automatically relegate that thing to the realm of 'fable'...
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 10, 2013
striktlymi:

Hi there Dux,

Don't you think that it is not necessary for one to believe in God first before one experience him?
well,we may say it is not but If God says so and he is almighty i just have to obey.it is just like this:God says we must be pure in heart to make heaven.some may argue but if God says so and he is omniscient i suppose he should have his reasons.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 4:56pm On May 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

Just shut up. The simple point is that the brain is physical not an abstract

All your babbling about mystery is irrelevant.

Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 10, 2013
Ozegbe:
you have not answered my question. You shouldnt be on that side of the road. By the way would you also mind telling me the part of the bible you believe in? Sowie, i actually meant the church you attend

...aren't you derailing your own thread? Let's not make this about me. smiley

May be it's best I go back to the sidelines and just watch...I am sure LB will be happy with that.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 10, 2013
striktlymi:

...aren't you derailing your own thread? Let's not make this about me. smiley

May be it's best I go back to the sidelines and just watch...I am sure LB will be happy with that.

grin grin grin

No......I need you here so that I can debunk you.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 10, 2013
Dux-01:
well,we may say it is not but If God says so and he is almighty i just have to obey.it is just like this:God says we must be pure in heart to make heaven.some may argue but if God says so and he is omniscient i suppose he should have his reasons.

Quite an interesting thought but I do not necessarily agree with you...I would have loved to have this conversation with you but I don't want LB to scream 'blue murder' about me derailing this thread...
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 5:04pm On May 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

grin grin grin

No......I need you here so that I can debunk you.

Now wey I dey respect elders you no wan gree...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

.. / Why I Took 65-year Old Wife, By Kumuyi / I Gave Oyedepo The Powers He Is Using- (rejoinder)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.