Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,595 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! (1577 Views)

Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian / Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts / Why Did Christian Missionaries Claim That The Panare Indians Killed Jesus? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by Nobody: 7:53am On May 11, 2013
Seriously, any christian or muslim who honestly thinks that he/she can claim that he respects his culture as a tribal Nigerian.
Our Nigerian cultures can not be separated from paganism. Why do historically christian and/or Jewish countries like Isreal, European countries and America generally act solemn and grave during burials? Because in their theology, God has to judge the soul of the dead person and there is a possibilty of hell or heaven. It is left in uncertainty and up to God.

For us Nigerians, we celebrate during burials. Why? A pagan reason. The dead soul goes to meet his or her ancestor. There is no concept of hell. So when you are dancing and eating meat during burials just know that you are observing a pagan ritual.

The vast ignorance among Nigerians that claim to be christians or muslims yet they are true igbo or hausa or yoruba is just saddening.

Why you present kola for weddings and important meetings? Do you know that you are appeasing elders with kola the same way you are meant to appease the spirits of the ancestors? Did you really think that you were doing it for a reason other than paganism?

I myself am not a pagan. But I do accept that our or my nigerian culture is steeped in paganism and I can not claim to be a christian or muslim without entering a hypocritical contradiction. This is because christianity and islamic theiology see paganism as as sin- polytheism especially.

Olodumare is not Yawheh, Oghene is not Yaweh, Amadioha is not Yaweh or Allah.

Please, you dont have to be a pagan to respect our culture but as a christian or muslim do not ever claim that you respect your culture or you are a true nigerian tribe.

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by Nobody: 7:54am On May 11, 2013
To any overreaching mod or informant. This is not tribalistic or entering tribalism. This includes every tribe and asks for respect for every culture in Nigeria.
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by Nobody: 8:02am On May 11, 2013
and for the Igbos, Satan's not Ekwensu..

And this reminds me of this great post from Rossikk..
Rossikk:
Did your African ancestors not believe in God?

OF COURSE THEY DID.

Did they propagate stories about God supposedly appearing to them, sending ''his son'', and his ''prophets'', 'Garden of Eden', 'Adam and Eve temptation' 'hellfire' and all such tales?

NO!

Who taught you those things that ''GOD'' supposedly did?

FOREIGNERS FROM THOUSANDS OF MILES AWAY.

Their stories have NOTHING to do with the African experience and conceptualization of GOD.

As far as OUR ancestors were concerned, GOD is ALOOF from human affairs.

He is FAR TOO MIGHTY to be involved directly in human affairs.

Hence, the importance of ancestors, guardian spirits, deities (powerful spirits), who play the role of INTERMEDIARIES between us and God.

According to AFRICAN RELIGION, Human life is just a brief journey. After our journey, each of us RETURNS to the realms of spirits, OUR TRUE HOME from where we came. No conditions. No need to convert to any faith. No need to abide by any creed. WE ALL TRANSIT TO OUR TRUE HOME UPON PASSING, JUST AS NATURALLY AS WE TRANSITED HERE AT BIRTH WITH NO PRE-CONDITIONS.. Death is only a TRANSITION BACK to our state of spirit BLISS. WE LIVE FOREVER.

FINISH!

No 'ten commandments', No 'Jesus'. No 'Mary'. No 'Elijah'. No ''chosen people''. No Adam. No Eve. No Snake, No 'Miracles'. No STORIES. You cannot have a story about GOD. Any story that claims to be about God or relating to God, is 100000% FALSE.

Whoever the Jews claim to have encountered in their book - it was NOT God the Creator. Maybe he was their tribal deity or even some alien entity. BUT IT WAS NOT GOD THE CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSES.

How can you say that God has a set of ''chosen people'', feels 'jealousy', demands worship? Orders ra.pe and mass murder? Characteristics that turn Him into a human-like, tin-pot dictator caricature? All claims by foreign books of indeterminate origin. WHY should you believe them?

WHY?

If the Almighty God did not appear to OUR ANCESTORS, HE DID NOT APPEAR TO ANYONE ELSE'S ANCESTORS EITHER.

...and ANYONE who asks you to believe he did is LYING TO YOU AND MANIPULATING YOU IN ORDER TO ELEVATE HIS OWN HERITAGE, HISTORY AND CULTURE OVER YOURS. IN ORDER TO ELEVATE HIS VERY EXISTENCE OVER YOURS. IN ORDER TO PLACE HIMSELF AS THE PERPETUAL LEADER, AND YOU THE PERPETUAL FOLLOWER. IT IS A TRICK AND A SCAM.

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by Nobody: 8:06am On May 11, 2013
musKeeto: and for the Igbos, Satan's not Ekwensu..

And this reminds me of this great post from Rossikk..

Great work by Rossikk

-why would god appear to a foreigners ancestor in the middle east and not our ancestors

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by Nobody: 8:16am On May 11, 2013
Guess who?

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Kaparot is a Jewish ritual performed before Yom Kippur, the holiest day in the Jewish calendar, that is suppose to transfer the sins of the past year to the chicken. Yom Kippur begins at sunset on Friday....
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by 3cassavasticks: 8:43am On May 11, 2013
Logicboy03:
Seriously, any christian or muslim who honestly thinks that he/she can claim that he respects his culture as a tribal Nigerian.
Our Nigerian cultures can not be separated from paganism. Why do historically christian and/or Jewish countries like Isreal, European countries and America generally act solemn and grave during burials? Because in their theology, God has to judge the soul of the dead person and there is a possibilty of hell or heaven. It is left in uncertainty and up to God.

For us Nigerians, we celebrate during burials. Why? A pagan reason. The dead soul goes to meet his or her ancestor. There is no concept of hell. So when you are dancing and eating meat during burials just know that you are observing a pagan ritual.

The vast ignorance among Nigerians that claim to be christians or muslims yet they are true igbo or hausa or yoruba is just saddening.

Why you present kola for weddings and important meetings? Do you know that you are appeasing elders with kola the same way you are meant to appease the spirits of the ancestors? Did you really think that you were doing it for a reason other than paganism?

I myself am not a pagan. But I do accept that our or my nigerian culture is steeped in paganism and I can not claim to be a christian or muslim without entering a hypocritical contradiction. This is because christianity and islamic theiology see paganism as as sin- polytheism especially.

Please, you dont have to be a pagan to respect our culture but as a christian or muslim do not ever claim that you respect your culture or you are a true nigerian tribe.
shebi you know that by saying this, you are identifying yourself as a pagan when you eat kolanuts. You cannot be an atheist and still observe pagan rituals. The same can be extended to if you took a holiday on christmas, easter, sundays, etc

you make me laugh because you are so oblivious of how your arguments backfire on you.
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by Nobody: 8:46am On May 11, 2013
3cassava sticks:
shebi you know that by saying this, you are identifying yourself as a pagan when you eat kolanuts. You cannot be an atheist and still observe pagan rituals. The same can be extended to if you took a holiday on christmas, easter, sundays, etc

you make me laugh because you are so oblivious of how your arguments backfire on you.

Logicboy03:
Our Nigerian cultures can not be separated from paganism...

READ BEFORE YOU TROLL
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by 3cassavasticks: 8:56am On May 11, 2013
musKeeto:
READ BEFORE YOU TROLL

[size=14pt]Mumu, Read before you respond[/size]

Logicboy03:
How does this not also create a dilenma for atheists who are against all gods. Somehow logicboy as an atheist thinks he is free to observe practices of something he doesn't believe in but christians and muslims are not free to do the same?

If you weren't so busy tossing his salad, you would have noticed his foolishness
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by Nobody: 9:07am On May 11, 2013
3cassava sticks:

[size=14pt]Mumu, Read before you respond[/size]

How does this not also create a dilenma for atheists who are against all gods. Somehow logicboy as an atheist thinks he is free to observe practices of something he doesn't believe in but christians and muslims are not free to do the same?

If you weren't so busy tossing his salad, you would have noticed his foolishness

Um.. you do need to calm down.. you tuber..

Atheism is disbelief in God not tradition. Some Jews are atheists, yet practice the traditions of their fathers. Culture is identity, much more than religion.

Religion, in some cases especially in Nigeria, encroaches on culture.
Christians and Muslims can't worship a God that disregards their culture and gods as false, yet continue to practice these ceremonies. It's contradictory. Like having traditional and white marriage... smiley

Of course, I won't expect one who is stuck under the ground to get this.. cool tell me when you're ripe, I can help uproot you..
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by 3cassavasticks: 9:12am On May 11, 2013
musKeeto:

Um.. you do need to calm down.. you tuber..

Atheism is disbelief in God not tradition.

Of course, I won't expect one who is stuck under the ground to get this.. cool tell me when you're ripe, I can help uproot you..
Idiot, I am the almighty cassava stick not cassava plant.

If you are going to criticize people (christians and muslims) for observing traditions they don't believe, then be prepared to accept criticism for doing the exact same thing. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Take it on the chin like a man.
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by Nobody: 9:18am On May 11, 2013
3cassava sticks:
Idiot, I am the almighty cassava stick not cassava plant.

If you are going to criticize people (christians and muslims) for observing traditions they don't believe, then be prepared to accept criticism for doing the exact same thing. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Take it on the chin like a man.

#butthurt
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by 3cassavasticks: 9:19am On May 11, 2013
musKeeto:

#butthurt
don't make me come there give you a real butthurt with my cassava stick
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by ooman(m): 11:34am On May 11, 2013
3cassava sticks:
don't make me come there give you a real butthurt with my cassava stick

erhm, cassava, am an atheist but I have no problems with worshiping the Gods of my ancestors, but I wont do the same for monster yahweh, or the alla the terrorist.
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by 3cassavasticks: 11:36am On May 11, 2013
ooman:

erhm, cassava, am an atheist but I have no problems with worshiping the Gods of my ancestors, but I wont do the same for monster yahweh, or the alla the terrorist.
erhm . . . .do you know the meaning of the word "atheist" at all?
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by ooman(m): 11:40am On May 11, 2013
3cassava sticks:
erhm . . . .do you know the meaning of the word "atheist" at all?

only if you understand that doing something does not necessarily mean believing it.
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by 3cassavasticks: 11:51am On May 11, 2013
ooman:

only if you understand that doing something does not necessarily mean believing it.
all the more reason why it is foolish to do it
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by ooman(m): 11:56am On May 11, 2013
3cassava sticks:
all the more reason why it is foolish to do it

or I might do it to please my ancestors and to make slaves of yahweh jealous tongue
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by 3cassavasticks: 11:59am On May 11, 2013
ooman:

or I might do it to please my ancestors and to make slaves of yahweh jealous tongue
May your gods shave your armpit with broken bottle
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by ooman(m): 12:05pm On May 11, 2013
3cassava sticks:
May your gods shave your armpit with broken bottle

and may your god kill your baby as he did for david.
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by 3cassavasticks: 12:16pm On May 11, 2013
ooman:

and may your god kill your baby as he did for david.
hehehehehehe.....he is not my god. . . .but may he sodomize your baby to death
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by ooman(m): 12:31pm On May 11, 2013
3cassava sticks:
hehehehehehe.....he is not my god. . . .but may he sodomize your baby to death

ok, enough of this madness, go back to whatever mental home you escaped from!
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by vedaxcool(m): 12:54pm On May 11, 2013
if X is true it then follows the same condition holds for Y, if christians and muslims are not real this or that, then neither atheists or skeptics are such! So the point becomes why would one blind man complain of another man blindness? . . . this sort of behavior is quite illogical, irrational and idiotic (call that III)
I conclude by saying this seems to be the second time the ignorance and self condescending nature of atheists would produce such syphilitic thoughts, which is if you feel you are too wise to worship traditional gods etc why do you feel christians and muslims must do what you feel foolish to do? Sorry but if you love culture very much feel free to bow to idols you made with your own hand, we simply don't roll like that any more!

¤ Dazz all!
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by ooman(m): 12:56pm On May 11, 2013
vedaxcool: if X is true it then follows the same condition holds for Y, if christians and muslims are not real this or that, then neither atheists or skeptics are such! So the point becomes why would one blind man complain of another man blindness? . . . this sort of behavior is quite illogical, irrational and idiotic (call that III)
I conclude by saying this seems to be the second time the ignorance and self condescending nature of atheists would produce such syphilitic thoughts, which is if you feel you are too wise to worship traditional gods etc why do you feel christians and muslims must do what you feel foolish to do? Sorry but if you love culture very much feel free to bow to idols you made with your own hand, we simply don't roll like that any more!

¤ Dazz all!

yea, now you worship your imaginations
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by 3cassavasticks: 12:58pm On May 11, 2013
ooman:

ok, enough of this madness, go back to whatever mental home you escaped from!
what madness? they are missing you at the dog pound. I hope you are wearing your collar like a good obedient dog.
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by Nobody: 2:06pm On May 11, 2013
vedaxcool: if X is true it then follows the same condition holds for Y, if christians and muslims are not real this or that, then neither atheists or skeptics are such! So the point becomes why would one blind man complain of another man blindness? . . . this sort of behavior is quite illogical, irrational and idiotic (call that III)

¤ Dazz all!

Vexdatroll,

Atheism is not the opposite of christianity or islam. It is not a religion.

There are believing Jews and secular Jews. Atheism is not a religion that encroaches into culture.

The moment you understand this, you will see that your point is moot
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:39pm On May 11, 2013
good thread. every self-respecting tribal must read this.
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by Nobody: 5:10pm On May 11, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Yes, ooo
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by CassavaStick1: 5:11pm On May 11, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
what an idiot
Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by ooman(m): 5:13pm On May 11, 2013
Cassava-Stick:

what an idiot

the way you rain insult on people advertises you as an iddiot naturally

3 Likes

Re: How Can You Claim That You're A Real Igbo Yoruba or Hausa? The Irony! by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 11, 2013
Logicboy03:

hmmm you have good points dear.

even in the caribbean so called christians consult bush doctors for luck, some even stop by while on their way to church!! grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Use Of Makeup-a Gateway To Hell / The Truth About Religion; All These Pastors Also Know! / Can We Trust The New Testament As A Historical Document?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.