Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,167 members, 7,957,366 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 11:35 AM

Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 (2818 Views)

Dont Expect Stable Electricity Supply -BPE Boss / FG Reassures Nigerians Of 20,000MW Of Electricity By 2016 / Nigeria To Generate 7,000 Megawatts Of Electricity By 2014 - NERC Chairman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by loma(m): 2:55am On May 15, 2006
Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056
• FG Commits N1.3 trillion so far
From Agaju Madugba in Kaduna, 05.14.2006

Nigerians expecting an improved electricity supply from the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) may as well forget it for now as the Minister for Power and Steel, Senator Liyel Imoke, has said that it would take another period of 50 years for more sustainable power generation and supply in the country.

According to Imoke, this is on the condition that that the Federal Government injects the sum of not less than $10 billion into the power sector, annually, for Nigeria to catch up with what he described as the over 20 years of neglect of the sector.

The Minister spoke at the weekend during the opening of a two-day retreat for stakeholders in the power sector, organised by the PHCN, in collaboration with the Bureau of Public Enterprises [BPE], in Kaduna.
He admitted that the Obasanjo government has since its inception in 1999, committed about N1.3 trillion to the sector but described the amount as a mere drop of water in the ocean.

As Imoke put it, "unless we articulate a programme that will see the sector transformed and make it more efficient and more attractive for investment, we will continue to wallow in darkness when indeed we should have excess capacity.

"We believe that reform of the power sector, privatisation of the industry, deregulation when necessary, will indeed be sine qua non for us to achieve the growth rate expected in this industry.

"The current growth of the Nigerian economy stands at seven per cent. If the power sector grows at a rate of seven per cent per annum from now on, we will take another 50 years to catch up on where we should be and that is a real challenge.

"So, if we set a target for growth of the economy at 10 per cent, then indeed, the power sector has to grow in the region of 12-15 per cent, each year. And when you translate that into cash, it means an investment in the region of $10 billion each year."

Earlier in his welcome address, PHCN managing director, Joseph Makoju, said government should gradually disengage from the power sector and leave it in the hands of the private sector.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=48058
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Seun(m): 6:08pm On May 15, 2006
Nice one!
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by toshmann(m): 9:58pm On May 16, 2006
grin grin grin hahahahahahahaha person don take hin hand mark hinself fail.

NIGERIA, sorry ooooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Seun(m): 10:26pm On May 16, 2006
There can be no shortage of anything in life except the very basic things we need to survive - food, water, and tolerable shelter. We only have high prices and low prices. When the prices are too low, then you have shortage.

We can have stable electricity starting next week if the price of electricity is increased (with accurate billing).
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by DaHitler(m): 11:14pm On May 16, 2006
I think the real question is would the oil revenue be enough 20 years down the line to allow for the current level of electricity in Nigeria.
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Larufa(m): 9:52am On May 17, 2006
What Imoke said is we should expect Stable Electricity by 2056.

He is not even sure, he said expect.

50years time, when most of us would have died by then.
We have visionless and missionless leaders.

why keep a huge foreign reserve while we are suffering. Suffering in the mist of plenty.

Na wa for Obj and his economic team.
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by DaHitler(m): 11:33am On May 17, 2006
The foreign reserve is used to secure loans for the country.
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by pleep(m): 5:17am On May 08, 2011
^^ a country like Nigeria should not be taking large loans. IMO
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Nobody: 5:56am On May 08, 2011
LOL @ 2056!!

And here I was thinking of settling down in 20-soon. na wa o!

Didnt GEJ promise us "constant" electricity?
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by blacksta(m): 6:12am On May 08, 2011
[size=15pt][/color]FRESH AIR 2011

45 YEARS TO INCREASE GENERATION FROM 4000 MW to 65000 MW

who knowS by that time Nigeria might need 150000 MW  - hence 65000MW will still NOT provide stable electricity

tHEY SAY PEOPLE DESERVE THE LEADERS THEY GET  - YOU VOTED OR RIGGED FOR PDP
[/size]
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Ikengawo: 6:14am On May 08, 2011
I think the real question is would the oil revenue be enough 20 years down the line to allow for the current level of electricity in Nigeria.

i think the real question is will nigerians ever pay for something instead of getting mad at the government for not providing them with services they don't pay bills or taxes for like everyone else in every reasonable country in the world
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Rhino5dm: 7:11am On May 08, 2011
Mu he he!

Ileke-IdI:

LOL @ 2056!!

And here I was thinking of settling down in 20-soon. na wa o!

Didnt GEJ promise us "constant" electricity?
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by ziccoit: 7:18am On May 08, 2011
As one commentator rightly put it, Nigeria would definitely need more than the projected as time goes on. The government has persistently demonstrate she could not meet up with expectation of challenges of time. I have been saying it over and over again, we need more than the PDP and its constituents to get it right.

PDP knows best how to tell stories after stories. This is not the first time we would hear this kind of thing from the hopeless bunch of id**ts. Did the number 3 citizen not tell Nigerians how the GSM is not for the poor masses? The party lacks missions, vissions and goal-getting stands.

We are just starting, expect more of these "Fresh air" very soon.
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by playmode(m): 10:47am On May 08, 2011
It saddens me when i read reports like this.Why is the PDP Government so wicked? Why can't they at least give Nigerians stable power?

50 years? Why 50 years ,what is the problem? Do we not have the funds?

I told you people on this forum that GEJ will not deliver but you tore my head off.Well you get what you deserve.

Suffering and smilling,FELA said it all.

This is just another ploy for GEJ and patience to loot the coffers dry and have no achievement to show for it.GEJ was never interested in fixing Nigeria.He is only interested in keeping his tribe on top ( The political tribe / Elites tribe).The continued enslavement of Nigerians will ensure that their pockets never run dry.

Mr GEJ or whatever you call yourself ,you should be ashamed of yourself.Why are you so daft ,can you not hire the right people to advise you?If you can not handle the power problem ,then privatize the industry.JEEZ!

It takes only one decision MR GEJ to fix our power ,one decision .No need for senseless meetings and useless committees,JUST FXCKING PRIVATIZE THE POWER INDUSTRY ! GIVE US POWER NOW!  angry
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Nobody: 10:52am On May 08, 2011
Five years on after this statement and nothing has changed so far. . . .nawao
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by idnole4(m): 11:38am On May 08, 2011
hmmm

seems its all same stories continue shocked. na real wa oooo

I pray we get out of this 'darkness' mess, though it can be soon. LMAO
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by gists: 12:43pm On May 08, 2011
Ikengawo:

i think the real question is will nigerians ever pay for something instead of getting mad at the government for not providing them with services they don't pay bills or taxes for like everyone else in every reasonable country in the world
You're wrong there. Nigerians are ready to pay and they have been paying for the little electricity they get. Why don't you focus your energy on the gov. that is failing on its responsibilities rather than accusing the people of not wanting to pay for services they don't get. Which reasonable country in the world do you know where people pay for what they don't get? Just name one
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Kobojunkie: 12:50pm On May 08, 2011
loma:

According to Imoke, this is on the condition that that the Federal Government injects the sum of not less than $10 billion into the power sector, annually, for Nigeria to catch up with what he described as the over 20 years of neglect of the sector.

20 years of neglect, the last 12

a) of which were under the same PDP flag
b) during which we injected  billions and still got next to nothing out of
c) of which our Government seems all too willing to ignore, rather than learn from

And this is the same Imoke who helped waste the last 12 years accomplishing next to nothing in the area of reforming power sector

http://nationaldailyngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1109:power-project-probe-how-obasanjo-imoke-others-wasted-n25tr&catid=99:current-cover&Itemid=489
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by 1025: 12:56pm On May 08, 2011
imoke did not guarantee those of that will be alive by 2056 of stability. as long as we have these same criminals(pdp) in charge, 30558 will never give us hope.
with corruption as the order of the day, how will u give contracts to the same thieves and expect positive outcome?
it is only in nigeria that we keep doing the same things repeatedly and expect a different outcome.
the wife of our president has a corruption charge on her neck and as such this same man cannot talk to other corrupt ppl knowing too well that his better wife is a thief too. we are doomed with those we call our elders. we have elders we can not learn good things from?
what can a young man learn from obasanjo and bode george and as elders?
can we compare our elders with their south african counterpart - mandela?

@Ikengawo,
u expose the sense of a local man here. without corruption at the top, they no born u well to use electricity and not pay for it. in dubai, u must pay in a deposit before u start using the light and before u finish ur deposit, ur light will go off. in every other country of the world, ppl use the light and pay for it so why not in nigeria. the truth of the matter is that pdp is only interested in the oil so electricity looks like something that will not bring money. why is mtn saying in their whole business lives, they have never made the profits they have made in nigeria? why are nigerians using communication and paying for it? why are we buying flight tickets and paying for them? why is it that u think we will not pay for electricity when we can buy generators and buy fuel everyday? abeg, go and contribute elsewhere bcs u have nothing to offer here. then tell ur govt to come and sign agreement with every nigeria that we will pay for light before they bring it.
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Beaf: 1:15pm On May 08, 2011
I really wonder about NLer's some times. We have the usual crew here blaming GEJ, but as usual they never really bothered to read the article otherwise quite a few things would have jumped at them:

[list]
[li]Liyolel Imoke is no longer the minister of power and steel[/li]
[li]The article is dated, 05.14.2006[/li]
[li]GEJ was not even a part of the FG[/li]
[li]Obj was president[/li]
[/list]

etc etc etc

Now, lets hear the idiotic excuses.
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Dave6: 1:47pm On May 08, 2011
^^^ My brother, I saw the thread since morning and was just wondering whether the posters did not bother to see the date of the article; know who Liyel Imoke is; or know anything about the plans being rolled-out by the current administration concerning the power sector.
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by blacksta(m): 3:02pm On May 08, 2011
Beaf:

I really wonder about NLer's some times. We have the usual crew here blaming GEJ, but as usual they never really bothered to read the article otherwise quite a few things would have jumped at them:

[list]
[li]Liyolel Imoke is no longer the minister of power and steel[/li]
[li]The article is dated, 05.14.2006[/li]
[li]GEJ was not even a part of the FG[/li]
[li]Obj was president[/li]
[/list]

etc etc etc

Now, lets hear the idiotic excuses.

The date of the article is irrelevant - 5 years after still no change - we have had the same party in power yet things still have not change - for God's sake what happened to continuity. God forbid if anything happens to GEJ another president will come up with unachievable electricity generation proposals. The only way we will see stable generation is when government completely hands off electricity generation and distribution,
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by blacksta(m): 3:05pm On May 08, 2011
Dav.e:

^^^ My brother, I saw the thread since morning and was just wondering whether the posters did not bother to see the date of the article; know who Liyel Imoke is; or know anything about the plans being rolled-out by the current administration concerning the power sector.

Your focus should be " Has there been any notable change 5 years after  "  rather than worry about the date of article.
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Gbawe: 3:16pm On May 08, 2011
Guys , abeg lets us see what needs to be seen .  We must never forget the histories of our leaders when they make nonsensical statement.  While I will not hold brief for GEJ, I must say it is highly nonsensical for anyone to use Imoke's utterances to indict GEJ negatively as far as power supply goes . Imoke should be in prison for crying out loud !!! Imoke , along with Agagu and others, helped OBJ carry out the 419 that saw billions of dollars pumped into the NIPP scheme (National integrated power project) while , till today , Nigeria has not gained 1 megawatt of power for the billions embezzled spent !!!

Imoke is a crook and a direct source of the power headache facing Nigeria today because when he had a chance to make a difference he chose callous self-aggrandizement. Nigerians , today, should have nothing but condemnation for hypocrites and deceitful con-men like him .
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Beaf: 3:50pm On May 08, 2011
blacksta:

The date of the article is irrelevant - 5 years after still no change - we have had the same party in power yet things still have not change - for God's sake what happened to continuity. God forbid if anything happens to GEJ another president will come up with unachievable electricity generation proposals. The only way we will see stable generation is when government completely hands off electricity generation and distribution,

Your instinct is to click reply without bothering to read. Its a form of illiteracy.

Yeah, when you give excuses for blaming GEJ for stuff that happened during Obj's regime, then we can only expect you to give excuses for how GEJ caused the civil war or stopped us getting independence in 1956/57.

Daft.
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by cmon(m): 5:27pm On May 08, 2011
[size=16pt]This stuff is simple. Let the power generation and distribution be private sector driven. Then like the GSM revolution, we will get a POWER revolution. The prices can be high at first. As more competition comes in, we could be paying N1500 for 1 Month power[/size]   cool
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Nobody: 5:49pm On May 08, 2011
@Beaf

No one is blaming GEJ for the indiscretion of the past. And of course GEJ does not control electricity, but he has the fresh air to make things happen.

But wasn't stable electricity one of his new agenda? Do we have to wait 50 more years for that to be checked off the list?
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Beaf: 6:06pm On May 08, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

@Beaf

No one is blaming GEJ for the indiscretion of the past. And of course GEJ does not control electricity, but he has the fresh air to make things happen.

But wasn't stable electricity one of his new agenda? Do we have to wait 50 more years for that to be checked off the list?

Thats not something that can be solved in a year, tho.
Its still terribly bad to bring GEJ's name into a thread about something a minister said while Obj was president.
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 08, 2011
Beaf:

Thats not something that can be solved in a year, tho.
s

It definitely cannot be solved in a year, but it is not something that SHOULD take 50 years. I'm going to be too old to enjoy Nigeria if the goal of stable electricity is going to take 50 years to be achieved.

Ohhh so this was said in 2006? my bad.
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by KnowAll(m): 6:22pm On May 08, 2011
A crook and a useless administrator would always leave his or her tell tale signs behind wherever he or she goes. What has Imoke done for CRS since becoming the Governor many moons again. Nothing, except unnecessary criticism for his predecessor. This man is bereft of ideas and a serial failure.
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Beaf: 6:33pm On May 08, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

It definitely cannot be solved in a year, but it is not something that SHOULD take 50 years. I'm going to be too old to enjoy Nigeria if the goal of stable electricity is going to take 50 years to be achieved.

Ohhh so this was said in 2006? my bad.

Lol!

Anyways, Liyel Imoke was seriously probed, I'm sure even stones were blistering with rage at the time as well. Nothing came of the probe as we all know, its a sad part of our wretched history.
Concerning GEJ, there are already scheduled dates for new plants to come into operation and where they are late, announcements with reasons are given; eg an additional 1,266MW was slated to be delivered by the end of this month, but only 843MW (about 70%) is deliverable by the end of May 2011. This is still an appreciable figure and the reasons are given here:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201104260248.html

If there was to be the same hoodwinking we had in the past, we would have been getting funny "not possible in 50 years" style statements, instead we have several verifiable landmarks. I'm certain that the supply of electricity would have increased very noticably by the end of this year, otherwise call me when you wanna burn the place down, and I'll be the general. grin

We should be close to 24/7 power supply by 2013, except power demands rocket up.
Re: Imoke: Expect Stable Electricity By 2056 by Pataki: 6:44pm On May 08, 2011
PDP, GEJ, Ineptitude, all sound as synonyms to me.

Who cares about the date of the article?

Still the same recycled BS from BS year in, year out!

Nigeria deserves the sheer stupidity in display.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Is The Fastest High Speed Internet In Nigeria. / Select Your Ministerial Team For GEJ (No Relatives Pls) / How To Tackle Insecurity In Nigeria - Obj

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.