Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:01 AM

Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings (185892 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Society: The Truth Behind ‘blood Money’. / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by NOIBMUUL(m): 5:43pm On May 13, 2013
Afolayinka: Inioluwa means God's heritage. Pls wat is d meanin of jegede,adio and ajao

Jegede is an oruko abiso. A title given to someone of great influence/character/personality. It is often synonymous with a big tree. Hence, d popular phrase among fuji musicians, "Igi Jegede"; used to describe a person you can always lean/depend on.
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 5:44pm On May 13, 2013
Gud work @Op
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Bantino(m): 5:47pm On May 13, 2013
deor03:

Ade= Crown
Ola= wealth

Adeola is crown of wealth

Tankx, I appreciate
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Fussbot: 5:51pm On May 13, 2013
donroxy: Plsss what is the meaning of ADEBISI
kongagrin

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Fussbot: 5:52pm On May 13, 2013
nadia_SA: What does Kayode mean
bring joy come 2 d family
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by abujalapdog(m): 6:01pm On May 13, 2013
[quote author=thirty]please can you enlighten me about this names; Agboola, korede, Banjo, Jamiu, Jide . thanks
akorede - a child that came with fortune.
Adebanjo, omobanjo -
Mohammad Jamiu or Al Jami is a muslim name - the convener on the day of judgement.
Olajide, babajide - my wealth as come again
please always call your name in full. jide is olajide[/quote

Agboola? Anyway those names are my collegue name and that is how i know thier name is written in the office... Like that Korede that is how is written
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Coldfeet(f): 6:11pm On May 13, 2013
Is it that a lot of Yorubas don't know Yoruba? Because am seeing a lot of Yoruba named monikers asking about the meaning of a Yoruba name! Even some Yoruba people I've interacted with if I ask what's the meaning of their childs name most will say they don't know or don't know how to put it in english!

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by tpia5: 6:16pm On May 13, 2013
dddaaayyyooo: What of a child Born with Blackberry on his Hand, what will Yoruba Call him? Please tell me I Beg of U

afi foonu bi, or foonutide

4 Likes

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by bheemz(f): 6:44pm On May 13, 2013
Abimbola(bimbo) - a child born with wealth
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Barayeks(m): 6:55pm On May 13, 2013
Jegede is a name given to a child born exactly when any jaged edge track is playing on the radio

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Egbagirl(f): 6:55pm On May 13, 2013
Nice nice nice!!! Gracias OP. erm what about the Orikis? Can anybody help out with that?
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by arbitrage: 7:04pm On May 13, 2013
booqee:

Olanrewaju (Honor stands before me);

Olanrewaju is rather Wealth/riches is/are progressing/increasing/abounding.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 7:13pm On May 13, 2013
dddaaayyyooo: What of a child Born with Blackberry on his Hand, what will Yoruba Call him? Please tell me I Beg of U
omobibi

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by omoolutl: 7:16pm On May 13, 2013
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Ibadiarann(m): 7:27pm On May 13, 2013

Aberry.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Ninilowo(m): 7:41pm On May 13, 2013
eppysold: Soryy,meani f kardashian,lopez,lukaku,dike and balotelli..
O o serious. Are they Yoruba name? Balotelli ko; balloradio ni.
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Ninilowo(m): 7:42pm On May 13, 2013
DUDUBERI

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Ninilowo(m): 7:44pm On May 13, 2013
Fussbot: kongagrin
If u kill persin wit lafta una go carri am oo grin[quote author=Fussbot] kongagrin
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Fussbot: 7:45pm On May 13, 2013
Dis is part of wat makes yoruba lang unique

Ogun-property

Ogun-god of iron

Ogun-long

Oogun-sweat

Ogun-20

Oogun-stab

Oogun-underneath

Ogun-war

Ogun-climb

Yoruba kai..grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 7:49pm On May 13, 2013
Op, sincerely, u are one of my favourite posters on NL.
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:52pm On May 13, 2013
Ok, all right I don come.
Okiki_Oluwa: God's Fame.
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by segend(m): 8:21pm On May 13, 2013
What is the meaning of oladapo
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 8:41pm On May 13, 2013
Wealth has been mixed together....
segend: What is the meaning of oladapo
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 8:42pm On May 13, 2013
@Op; very nice thread....Kudos...
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 8:46pm On May 13, 2013
Home filled with honors...
koolet: Pls wat ov kunle
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by hersweetness(f): 8:59pm On May 13, 2013
What of Oluwasegun and Osewa What do they mean biko?
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by habayommy: 9:02pm On May 13, 2013
What is the meaning of the following names:
OluRooney
AdeDrogba
OluwaVan-persie
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by NovusHomo(m): 9:05pm On May 13, 2013
Not so.Taiwo and its variations are shortened forms of "To Aiye Wo" - To taste life. The myth is that Kehinde sent Taiwo/Tayewo/Taye to go first and taste life. If its good, Kehinde will follow. Only a senior will send a junior on errands, hence the saying "Omokeyinde Gba Egbon". I should know as I am a Kehinde/Keyinde.
thirty:
You are wrong, Taiwo came first. The more reason Kehinde gbegbon is to prevent hatred btw the two or else their mother will not rest. My mother will say Taiwo came first but Kehinde is the elder. Sometime my mother will say nothing when we asked her.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by aljharem(m): 9:24pm On May 13, 2013
Dabiri is a name common to the Eko (part of Lagos), Awori, Ikorodu (an Ijebu people) and perhaps Egun peoples of Yoruba land. The translation of the name can be derived by analyzing the roots:

Da – found/create/started

Ibi – here

Ri - to existence

Bring this location into existence or first settler

Kosoko- Don't dig a grave

Aromire = defeated the river/ became the river's friend

Abebi - we asked for a child/ begged for a child

Abegbe - we asked for a child to lift up the child

Abike - Give birth to the child and care for the child

Abeke- We beg for her to caress her

Abeo - I bring joy

Abiona - Born during a trap

Adesimbo - Nobel birth

Adio - be righteous

Adisa - make this meaning clear

Adunbi - Born to be pleasant

Afiba - By the sea

Aiyetoro - Peace on earth

Ajagbe- He carries off the prize

Ajamu - Fight for what he wants

Ajani - fight for possession

Akanni- Encounter brings possession

Ainkawon - Bravery pacified them

Akono - it is my turn

Alonge - A skinny or tall person

Animashaun - Generous

Aole - Son of a king

Apara/ Akpara - A child that comes and goes

Apata/ Akpata - huge rock or hill

Asinia - stern

Enahoro - Like the sun

Mongo - Famous

Obayana - King warms himself at fire

Ojo - A difficult delivery

Onipede - The consoler will come

Omolara - a child is family

Jumoke - Loved by everybody

Ajao - Praise name

Kayin - celebrated child

Ife - love

Ige - born feet first

Ayomide - my joy has arrived

Amadi - seemed destined to die at birth

Adisa - one who is clear

Abidemi - born during father's absence

Enitan - person of story

Sowande - Wise healer sought me out

Yejida - Image of her mother

Torkwase - Queen

Danku - a short person, mostly used by those in Kogi, Kwara and upper Oyo.

Anike - Given so she may be cared for

Amutorunwa - A child brings from heaven

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by dddaaayyyooo(m): 9:25pm On May 13, 2013
Ok, thanks to all who gave me d name to a boy with BB, So what of this boy, what will yoruba call him

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by NovusHomo(m): 9:30pm On May 13, 2013
Bili Gatesinu author=dddaaayyyooo]Ok, thanks to all who gave me d name to a boy with BB, So what of this boy, what will yoruba call him[/quote]
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 9:32pm On May 13, 2013
...or bibilari

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Beautiful Faces Of Africa / Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.