Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,533 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? (7232 Views)

A Thread For "Last Born" / When Last Born Husband Is Married To The First Born Wife, / What Are The Benefits And The Challenges Of Being The First Or Last Born. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 8:28pm On May 13, 2013
A lot has been talked abt dis 'last born' of a thing esp. d goodies they believed dat coms wit it 2 whoeva dat occupies dat positn. But in my case, i happen 2b d last born in a family of 7 but i really do not see any special favour am benefiting 4 occupyng dat positn. I've bros who are civil servant, a lawyer, a bizman and sis. who are medical doctor, teacher, bizwomen as well. All they do 2 me is a very normal thing any younger one shld get frm his/her elderly ones.I do not see any special favour attached 2me 4 being d 'last born' in d family wch is here contrary 2d impression people draw. Dis made me 2 open dis thread esp. 2 all d 'last borns' in d house.

In what special way(s) do u think u are being treated well 4 being d last born in d family?

What are ur advantages and disadvantages of occupying the position?

To others, in what special ways is the last born in ur family being treated? Share it here with us.

Let's rub minds here all the "last borns" and "non-last borns" in the house.
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Godmother(f): 8:45pm On May 13, 2013
You said "all they do to you" which means u re getting somtin frm them. Do u think its easy to fend for urself and still fend for someone else? You are not giving to anyone so u wnt understand. Anyways that's one advantage.

One disadvantage is that majority( not all) last borns are usually spoilt n sturbbon. They usually dnt want to respect their elders but want any younger cousins, nephews, nieces around to over respect them, particularly male lastborns.
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 9:01pm On May 13, 2013
@Godmother, all i get from them is what my immediate elderly one (female) equally get from them too. So what is the specialty there?

as for being stubborn, may be it's just thier nature. But am not stubborn o.
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by greatgod2012(f): 9:25pm On May 13, 2013
@op, maybe those who are overly pampered and regretably spoilt are from wealthy family.

As for me, im the last born of 5, but the only thing i enjoyed while growing up, is that, i gave to no one, apart from that, we were all treated alike and equally, there was no preference or difference in treatment at alllll.
However, all the "not giving to anyone" i escaped while growing up are now being paid up seriously to my nephews and nieces.

Abeg, me i dont believe that last borns are overly pampered jare.
May God help us all.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by faksy(m): 9:37pm On May 13, 2013
Hmmmmnn,am also hapy 2 b amng d lastborn thread,am d last outof 8,am only hapy coz i av brothers n sisters bt am sad coz i dnt hav younger ones expect my nephews n nieces.as for me i dnt realy enjoy much as d last born coz i live wt our 3rd born,shes d only one dat took my responsibilties....am jst hapy sha
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 9:51pm On May 13, 2013
When it comes 2 relationships, dey always want dir decisions 2b finallyB whatever dey ask 4, u must gve dem either it favour d other partner or not! And if u don't gve dem, dey wil get angry & wahal go start frm dre
Spoilt brats dats wot dey r! Sorry I can't date dem again let alone settle down wit dem
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 10:31pm On May 13, 2013
@nikkykay, am sorry u've had a bad encounter wit any last born. but if i may ask, how many last borns have u dated to have known them so well? The fact that one showed u such character doesnt mean all are like that.

I want u to do me a favour by beginning to see and take all last borns both males and females as "priceless golds" cos they are just very special people.

@topic, my friend who is equally a last born complained of how people believe he walks on money simply because he has successful elderly ones but in the real fact, e.g. the highest his most successful senior brother can give him as pocket money even when he's returning to school is N1000. I also have this same issue in my own case.

No tell me, is that the kind of special favour last borns receive which people talk abt?
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 9:29am On May 14, 2013
RedBenson: @nikkykay, am sorry u've had a bad encounter wit any last born. but if i may ask, how many last borns have u dated to have known them so well? The fact that one showed u such character doesnt mean all are like that.

I want u to do me a favour by beginning to see and take all last borns both males and females as "priceless golds" cos they are just very special people.

@topic, my friend who is equally a last born complained of how people believe he walks on money simply because he has successful elderly ones but in the real fact, e.g. the highest his most successful senior brother can give him as pocket money even when he's returning to school is N1000. I also have this same issue in my own case.

No tell me, is that the kind of special favour last born receive which people talk abt?
I
I know 3 LB. I had rship wit one and the remaining 2 were worse dat we only hanged out like 2-3 times. there was one that his brother ( dir first born) me specifically if i culd date his brother when dey were having one end of the yr family get 2gether and i said yes. I didnt know wot he meant not knowing his brother is a spoilt brat. He still calls me till today. He always chat on bbm and he still has dat childish attitude.
One was always calling mummy anytime we had issues. He wuld tell me later dat he called his mum. Am talking about a guy dats in his late 30s. shocked shocked
The funniest part i didnt know dey r last born initially but dir attitudes always made me to ask and i was always right.

Dnt forget we have last born in the family too grin
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 9:35am On May 14, 2013
Advantages

We give to no one. cool

Disadvantages

God help the man that wants to marry you.... He will smell his azz before they give you away to him grin

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 9:38am On May 14, 2013
jennykadry: Advantages

We give to no one. cool

Disadvantages

God help the man that wants to marry you.... He will smell his azz before they give you away to him grin
Do u mean dey r sting @ bolded or another thing?
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 9:40am On May 14, 2013
Meaning...... As per being the last child, you have no younger one to give things to or spoil rotten.
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 10:14am On May 14, 2013
^^^^
Ok cheesy
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by bebe2(f): 2:02pm On May 14, 2013
Disadvantage :

Lots of beating

Lots of control,

Being an errand girl for the whole family
More to come

1 Like

Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 14, 2013
Disadvantage:
Everybody's eyes are on you
Your every step being monitored, especially when u have overprotective elder ones.
Everybody's errand gal with no one to run errands for you.
The only advantage is you get things from ur elda ones which is not even always the case in the real sense. Whenever i need anything i always call on dad when i should be calling them, but when u do, all they give u is long epistles (not all of them though)
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by nicodu: 3:20pm On Nov 11, 2013
very true,
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by cherieb2(f): 8:21pm On Nov 11, 2013
Ȋ̝̊̅ still enjoy d benefit of being d last child till now o. When Ȋ̝̊̅ was growing up M̶̲̥̅♈ dad never finished a meal without leaving a bit(no mata how small it is) for me, n most times, till date, they still send M̶̲̥̅♈ immediate elder sister on errands instead of me.
As at when Ȋ̝̊̅ gained admission in2 Uni they had all graduated, S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ it was collecting from all angle for me....things were not dat smooth when M̶̲̥̅♈ elder siblings were in school, S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ when Ȋ̝̊̅ gained admission, they all(both M̶̲̥̅♈ parents) made sure Ȋ̝̊̅ neva went tru what they went tru, Ȋ̝̊̅ neva lacked. Even during M̶̲̥̅♈ service year Ȋ̝̊̅ barely touched M̶̲̥̅♈ allowee.
Ȋ̝̊̅ still enjoy that priviledge till date. Just last week there was a family contribution that was made and M̶̲̥̅♈ elder siblings(3 of them) were levied 25k each n Ȋ̝̊̅ was levied 10k.... last born tinzzzz grin
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Shiningmama(f): 8:34pm On Nov 11, 2013
I am the last in my family. If I have the opportunity of coming to dis world again, I will still prefer to be last born. But, one if the disadantages to me is that I can't decisions my own. I don't enjoy my freedom etc.
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Chimezie198(m): 7:20am On Nov 12, 2013
Confirmed last born of 5. I was born after 5yrs.
Advantage - enjoyable when u hv elder sisters cuz they're caring and would pamper u. Kudos to all d sisters in d house.
If na my brothers, wetin dem sabi na their own matter.
Disadvantages - over monitored (so annoying when u wan toast one fine babe and realise dat ur being monitored... Thanks to d institution called university.... Free world) , errand boy (na dis one annoy pass).
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by LILBIMS: 12:20pm On Nov 12, 2013
The disadvantage is that you get overlooked alot and even when you a bit old your elder siblings will still be looking down on you
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
The simple advantage of being a lastborn is having a lot of models from whom U could emulate ....

Also,it prepares one with good foundation as well as ability to right the wrongs your brothers/sisters committed in their early life !!!

Also, U enjoy the priviledges of some certain decisions made for you and quick solutions to your problems during the course of your endeavors in Life !!!

LastBorns become mature faster among their peers because they ve gotten close models to copy from!!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The disadvantage of being a Lastborn is simply lack of freedom to exercise your freewill in undertaking your affairs which is as a result of plenty admonishers and disciplinarians therefore, most lastborns get their wordly problems solved for them instead of being exposed to reality !!!

Exterior wise ,LastBorns seems Matured but when U moved closer to them, U see a spoilt kid in 30s!!!

Some Firstborn also behaves Like Lastborn when such lives with GranPa/GranMa grin .......

#From a FirstBorn!
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by DEGREE2466(m): 10:32am On Nov 13, 2013
i am proudly the last born of my family.

THESE ARE THE ADVANTAGES I HAVE AS LAST BORN:

1. I had the priviledge to attend the best secondary school and university than others.

2. I receive from my eldest sibling to my immediate.

3. I always have the support of my mum even when i am wrong *wink*

4. I look better than my other brothers (generally last borns are always beautiful/handsome)

5. I learn from the mistakes of my elder ones.

THEN HERE COMES THE DISAVANTAGES I HAVE ENCOUNTERED PERSONALLY.

1 Jealousy: it is either the accuse you of not greeting them properly because you think you are fine or maybe taller or more intelligent than them or they will say you dont have respect for elders. Just looking for a way to pull you down or make you serve them forever.

2. Dependent: i remain dependent while all my siblings are all on their own. Imagine booking to go for holidays to my sister's place and my nephews and niece booked the same place. Chai insult!

As for freedom i have my freedom from Adam because i refused to be controlled or make decision for by anybody hence the saying i am proud comes in
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 11:21am On Nov 13, 2013
cherieb2: Ȋ̝̊̅
still enjoy d benefit of being d last child till now o. When Ȋ̝̊̅ was
growing up M̶̲̥̅♈ dad never finished a meal without leaving a bit(no
mata how small it is) for me, n most times, till date, they still send
M̶̲̥̅♈ immediate elder sister on errands instead of me.
As at when Ȋ̝̊̅ gained admission in2 Uni they had all graduated,
S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ it was collecting from all angle for me....things were not
dat smooth when M̶̲̥̅♈ elder siblings were in school, S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡
when Ȋ̝̊̅ gained admission, they all(both M̶̲̥̅♈ parents) made sure Ȋ̝̊̅
neva went tru what they went tru, Ȋ̝̊̅ neva lacked. Even during M̶̲̥̅♈
service year Ȋ̝̊̅ barely touched M̶̲̥̅♈ allowee.
Ȋ̝̊̅ still enjoy that priviledge till date. Just last week there was a
family contribution that was made and M̶̲̥̅♈ elder siblings(3 of them)
were levied 25k each n Ȋ̝̊̅ was levied 10k.... last born tinzzzz grin

I see you. Lucky you though!
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 11:54am On Nov 13, 2013
Mhen.... the biggest disadvantage is still thinking I am a kid and cant make decisions on my own...

At my age, they are still trying to make decisions for me when my mates are fathers of two...

Gosh!
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 13, 2013
ledafaze: Mhen.... the biggest disadvantage is still thinking I am a kid and cant make decisions on my own...

At my age, they are still trying to make decisions for me when my mates are fathers of two...

Gosh!

grin Then marry! Once you marry, they'll now stay clear and respect u as a full man.
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 13, 2013
RedBenson:

grin Then marry! Once you marry, they'll now stay clear and respect u as a full man.

grin grin grin
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by ifyboi(m): 1:27am On Nov 14, 2013
I'm the last child out of four children.
Advantages;
My parents and siblings make sure that i get the best of everything (well, not everything sad)
I receive money sharpaly even bfore i run out of money..(undergrad tinz)
I'm no ones errand boi..(*ah dnt take sh*t from anybdy) angry
I'm kinda stuborn, buh dey respect me alot at home because they beliv i'm really a special one cheesy
The best part is that THEY LOVE ME SO MUCH embarassed
Disadvantages
I'm an adult buh dey still call me 'baby' angry
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Nov 14, 2013
5/5. Growing up, I always had to do things last angry. But there're more advantages though. cheesy
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by INTERMAN: 2:35pm On Mar 24, 2017
A lot has been talked abt dis 'last born' of a thing esp. d goodies they believed dat coms wit it 2 whoeva dat occupies dat positn. But in my case, i happen 2b d last born in a family of 7 but i really do not see any special favour am benefiting 4 occupyng dat positn. I've bros who are civil servant, a lawyer, a bizman and sis. who are medical doctor, teacher, bizwomen as well. All they do 2 me is a very normal thing any younger one shld get frm his/her elderly ones.I do not see any special favour attached 2me 4 being d 'last born' in d family wch is here contrary 2d impression people draw. Dis made me 2 open dis thread esp. 2 all d 'last borns' in d house.

In what special way(s) do u think u are being treated well 4 being d last born in d family?

What are ur advantages and disadvantages of occupying the position?

To others, in what special ways is the last born in ur family being treated? Share it here with us.

Let's rub minds here all the "last borns" and "non-last borns" in the house.
me sef no benefit o
Re: What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family? by jashar(f): 3:51pm On Mar 24, 2017
My own last born na suffer head last born.

Na work and responsibility dey my head.

kai......

When i hear wonderful stories of other last borns grin i just dey wonder how dem take do am.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Polygamy + Polyandry = Monogamy ? / . / did Your Parents tell You How They Met?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.