Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

For Mature Ladies And Gents - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / For Mature Ladies And Gents (2312 Views)

Ladies And Gents; Please Know This Before Marriage / I Have A Word For Many Young And Mature Girls This Morning With This Pic. / What makes a man feel respected? For Mature Men Only!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Mature Ladies And Gents by zigam(m): 6:47pm On Apr 21, 2008
I have tried in vain to find out why precedence is given to male children than their female counterparts in Africa but no convincing explanations. I have seen a man that got the news of his wife safe delivery but the person that brought the news to him failed to state the sex of the new born baby. When the man rushed home and saw people dancing and celebrating and he was full of joy but when he asked what sex, they told him “bouncing baby girl.” Immediately, the man frowned his face and replied “ I don’t want noise here, what did she born that no one has born before? Please, I don’t want any disturbance.” Then, people were shocked at this while the man went inside his room and refused to come out.

To you all in the house, what is that special thing why male children are needed more than their female counterparts? Does it mean that female children cannot take good care of their parents without male children?

Please, your good advice can save a particular family right now because there is a problem going on now and what I gather here will be used to advise the concerned family.
Re: For Mature Ladies And Gents by oYaTo(m): 7:36pm On Apr 21, 2008
I have a distant relative that has three daughters, and when the third was born, the dude simply walked out of the hospital on hearing the news that it was a girl again. He left his wife and the new-born baby, and didn't even show up for the naming ceremony a week later!

I guess men want male kids simply because it's nice to have a "mini-me" running about the house, and also cos they carry on their name after they're gone. My maternal grandad had 7 children, all female, all married, thus no one to carry on his name.

1 Like

Re: For Mature Ladies And Gents by Nobody: 7:37pm On Apr 21, 2008
I hope that  Africans should by now know that the sex determinant of a child comes from the man. That man you used as an illustration needs thorough education. What a sigh of relief my mother had when she gave birth to my brother after four girls. My father told me he wasn't even bothered about it, but trust extended family and their tongue waggings.

The only reason I can give is that some men are so into the fact that they do not want their family name/line to die. Some still have it at the back of their mind that female children are not capable enough to be in a position of power in handling the family resources, if there is at all. Some see it as a sign of might on their part undecided.

As for advice to the couple going through this, I suggest reasonable men should try speak to the family especially the man in question.
Re: For Mature Ladies And Gents by habumaks(m): 7:43pm On Apr 21, 2008
HEIR. I think they are looking heir to keep family name immortal, cases of inheritance and all that. A female child is viewed as a "property" i.e. someguy will come and marry her and thats it. thats the way most cultures view it sha but i think it has to be reviewed.
Re: For Mature Ladies And Gents by StephenP(m): 7:46pm On Apr 21, 2008
stillwater:

I hope that  Africans should by now know that the sex determinant of a child comes from the man. That man you used as an illustration needs thorough education. What a sigh of relief my mother had when she gave birth to my brother after four girls. My father told me he wasn't even bothered about it, but trust extended family and their tongue waggings.

The only reason I can give is that some men are so into the fact that they do not want their family name/line to die. Some still have it at the back of their mind that female children are not capable enough to be in a position of power in handling the family resources, if there is at all. Some see it as a sign of might on their part undecided.

As for advice to the couple going through this, I suggest reasonable men should try speak to the family especially the man in question.

True.
Re: For Mature Ladies And Gents by LadyT(f): 7:53pm On Apr 21, 2008
You know what would stop this madness.  If more African men were educated into knowing it was THEM that determined the sex of their children.  So he has no one to blame but himself.
Re: For Mature Ladies And Gents by Nobody: 7:55pm On Apr 21, 2008
dont know why some men are so concerned about d sex of a baby,any way d best thing to avoid all dis insults is to have both
Re: For Mature Ladies And Gents by Busta(f): 8:34pm On Apr 21, 2008
African Mentality.

Boy O, Girl O . . . all na baby!
Re: For Mature Ladies And Gents by Nobody: 8:41pm On Apr 21, 2008
Busta:

African Mentality.
exactly lipsrsealed
Re: For Mature Ladies And Gents by almondjoy(f): 2:17pm On Apr 22, 2008
Village topic in a Village thread!
Re: For Mature Ladies And Gents by tpia5: 1:08am On Dec 12, 2013
zigam:
I have tried in vain to find out why precedence is given to male children than their female counterparts in Africa but no convincing explanations. I have seen a man that got the news of his wife safe delivery but the person that brought the news to him failed to state the sex of the new born baby. When the man rushed home and saw people dancing and celebrating and he was full of joy but when he asked what sex, they told him “bouncing baby girl.” Immediately, the man frowned his face and replied “ I don’t want noise here, what did she born that no one has born before? Please, I don’t want any disturbance.” Then, people were shocked at this while the man went inside his room and refused to come out.

that was harsh, he must be a very traditional man and maybe an illiterate.
Re: For Mature Ladies And Gents by Alfoasegh: 9:58am On Dec 12, 2013
I have personally experienced it, my son came after 3 daughters. To have a balanced family, pray that God blesses you with both sexes -African mentality or not.
Re: For Mature Ladies And Gents by tpia5: 7:45pm On Dec 12, 2013
God's blessing is not necessarily limited to gender, its good to have both sexes but if not, does it really help to work oneself up over it?

(1) (Reply)

Court Marriage! / Put Your Family's Safety First: Safest Way To Change PHCN Cutout Automatically / Whadup My Naija Bride!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.