Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,797 members, 7,827,945 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Recipes Made Easy! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Recipes Made Easy! (1585 Views)

Best Method For Preparing Noodles.lets Exchange Recipes With(out) Pictures / Recipes For Some Igbo Soups / Exciting Recipes With Indomie! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Recipes Made Easy! by ShackAttack: 12:52pm On May 14, 2013
Obviously there is no Nairalander on Food Section that would say he/she knows nothing about FOOD.

This thread will showcase various recipes of various african dishes and how they are prepared. grin
Re: Recipes Made Easy! by ShackAttack: 1:19pm On May 14, 2013
HOW TO PREPARE WAAKYE
=============================

(Waakye is a typical Ghanaian Delicacy; it is a mixture of well prepared brown rice and beans)
Enjoy!

[img]http://www.pepperandstew.co.uk/wp-content/themes/pepper/timthumb.php?src=http://www.pepperandstew.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG_1594-3.jpg&w=585[/img]

It’s very simple and has this earthy, healthy taste.

Here is the recipe...

Here are my Ingredients:

4 cups Brown Rice
3 cups red beans
3 millet stalks
3 medium Tilapia (cut into 3 each)
1 pound of wele (cow skin) cut into sizeable pieces
8-10 medium sized tomatoes
2 medium sized onions
8 Peppers
Cooking oil
2 Maggi cubes
Salt
Black Pepper

Start by soaking the bean overnight.

Start by soaking the beans overnight. I find that it not only softens them and reduces cooking time, but it makes it easier to pick out stones and such, which I do and then put the beans on to boil.

Season the fish

Wash Millet Stalks

[img]http://3.bp..com/-PTFXqXey11E/TaR8bZdZnKI/AAAAAAAAAck/UL2EySOJKuA/s400/2.jpg[/img]

Wash the millet stalks to remove any dirt or dust. Do this quickly since the colour starts to run as soon as they get wet. Cut them into lengths of 3 to 4 inches, toss them in with the boiling beans and allow then to cook together.

Get rid of dirt from rice if any need necessary

Pick through the brown rice if you have to. There are a few husks of rice that are better not found in the waakye as well as stones depending on how "brown" your rice is. I bought mine from a lady in Kaneshie market who had brown rice that had been picked as well as a cheaper version she said hadn't been picked. The price difference wasn't equal to the amount of work I saw looming ahead of me, so I chose the picked version.

Wash and Drain rice

Wash and drain your rice and add it to the beans as soon as they are cooked, add salt and some water if necessary and cook as you would cook rice.

Blend Onions, Tomatoes and Pepper

Blend the tomatoes and pepper. Chop the onions and heat about 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and start frying the onions.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-aM4aDhICtsE/TaR8nKSD0MI/AAAAAAAAAc4/xLqT0wzG0IQ/s400/7.jpg[/img]
When the onions turn translucent and just start to brown around the edges, add the tomato puree.

Add a Maggi cube some salt and cover for about 5 minutes to allow the tomatoes to cook.

Uncover and allow the sauce to simmer down and start to fry. Fry the stew till it is dry and almost sticking ...

... then add the wele and a cup or 2 of water depending on how thick or tough your wele is. The tougher it is, the more water you will need. Cover and simmer on a low fire. when the stew thickens and the wele is the desired texture (a fork can go through), you don't want to over cook it as it will become a gooey gluey mess.

Heat 1 cup of oil in a pan. When it is hot, lower the heat and gently place the fish into it making sure to space them enough that they dont touch. If they do, the will tear when you try to turn them. Fry each side for about 3 to 5 minutes.

Using a spatula or fork, turn the fish, if there is significant resistance leave it for a minute or so, then try turning again, when it is ready, it should turn easily. When it is evenly cooked, remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Continue till all the fish is fried.
Serve the Waakye with the Fish and Wele stew.

Enjoy!!

(1) (Reply)

I Just Killed A Family Of Monitor Lizard(photos) / Please Help ! How Do I Keep Weevils Away From My Beans? / Bread And Yam, Burger And Potato Fries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.