Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,483 members, 7,823,117 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival (14596 Views)

Unpaid Salaries: Bayelsa Workers Turn To Begging For Survival - Punch / Epic Response To Ben-Bruce Apology To Unilag Students On Twitter (pics) / Former House Of Reps Members Storm NASS, Beg For Jobs - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by Boyoorisha: 10:47am On May 16, 2013
160 Nigerian Students Now Begging In Russia

Over 160 Nigerian students who are on the federal government scholarship in Russia are now begging to survive due to lack the non-payment of their allowances in the last six months, it was revealed yesterday.

This revelation was made yesterday by the leader of the Association of the Federal Government Doctoral Candidates in Russia, Godwin Ezinkwo, during an interactive session with the House of Representatives Committee on Diaspora Affairs.

Ezinkwo who stated that there are about 150 under graduate and 10 post-graduate students currently studying in Russia on the FG scholarship said that this is the worst form of scholarship by the Nigerian government.

Ezinkwo informed the committee that for six months now, they have not been paid their allowances, a situation that made them to beg their counterparts from other African countries like Ghana, Zimbabwe and the rest for assistance.

He said that the students also suffer in terms of accommodation because most of them are yet to pay for their houses, adding that they currently face eviction.

“Russia is a very hostile country in terms of weather and other things. It is very embarrassing and difficult to cope. Nigerian students are now living at the mercy of other African scholarship students like Ghana, Zimbabwe and all that. They lend money to us, so Nigerian students are like beggars. They’re begging, if one has to use that word. It’s as bad; begging other students from African countries. It’s demoralizing.

We also have to bring up the issue of accommodation. The agreement in its raw form provides accommodation for students, but unfortunately some of the host countries do not honour this agreement. Students are made to pay for accommodation, but they’re unable to pay for the accommodation, because their stipends and remittances for at least six months have not been paid. As I speak to you now, students are going to be evicted from their hostels because they cannot pay for the accommodation,” he said.

“We have the issue of medical insurance. Because the allowances for all these have not been remitted, students are also going to be evicted, because you cannot stay in somebody’s hostel if you’re not medically certified,” he said.

He said that they had written several letters to see the Nigerian ambassador to Russia in order to have a one-on-one interaction with him on their plight but in vain.

“With due respect, this is the worst form of scholarship obtainable from Nigeria when you take a look at scholarship programmes such as the PTDF, NUC Presidential Scholarship, TETfund, NDDC, ITF and even state scholarship programmes. The irony of the whole situation is that students are sent to one of the most expensive places in the world with the worst welfare package,” he said.

Chairman of the committee, Rep Abike Dabiri-Erewa (ACN, Lagos) assured that the House would do everything within its reach to unravel the matter in order to help the students.

“It is shameful that Nigerian students that are sent on scholarship to other countries have resorted to begging. It is really a sad commentary. You don’t deserve this kind of treatment. We should be ashamed that this is happening. How can you be good ambassadors if you’re treated this way?

“We are going to do our work. We’ll meet with the ministry of education and the relevant stakeholders and find out what the real situation is. We will get back to you when we finish our findings” she said.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/news-news/54670-160-nigerian-students-now-begging-in-russia
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by Les: 11:02am On May 16, 2013
Nigeria, good ppl, great nation!!!

Am ashamed of this daem country!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by kevoh(m): 11:29am On May 16, 2013
Just laughing because I know another side of this story that is not being told by the scholars. For the sake of their money I'll let it slide.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by Nobody: 11:38am On May 16, 2013
"Giant of Africa" indeed!!!! This is why Nigeria will continue to be a laughing stock in the international community.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by Blackteeth(m): 11:42am On May 16, 2013
There is definitely something more into this.
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by coputa(m): 11:55am On May 16, 2013
The fund has been released /remitted,but the person in charge in connivance with the nigerian ambassador to Russia are sharing the loot/booty of office.....the horzon is still very much cloudy in Nigeria....why is it that an average Nigerian does not have any iota of feelings,pain or remorse when his brother ( a fellow Nigerian ( is in pain,.especially when there is a pecuniary gain.....the beautiful ones are not yet to be born....a nation full of pretenders and lairs.......

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by pomporiking: 1:22pm On May 16, 2013
Keep waiting!!make una no go find work

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by Nobody: 1:28pm On May 16, 2013
coputa: The fund has been released /remitted,but the person in charge in connivance with the nigerian ambassador to Russia are sharing the loot/booty of office.....the horzon is still very much cloudy in Nigeria....why is it that an average Nigerian does not have any iota of feelings,pain or remorse when his brother ( a fellow Nigerian ( is in pain,.especially when there is a pecuniary gain.....the beautiful ones are not yet to be born....a nation full of pretenders and lairs.......

That is my suspicion
The ambassador and the consular workers have shared the money
I knew someone on a similar scholarship in the UK back in the day that did not receive their stipend a full year and the whole amount was paid in bulk the next year
The same way they frustrate workers and aged pensioners at home is the same way these heartless souls frustrate students even in strange lands.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by dabrake(m): 1:38pm On May 16, 2013
NIGERIA JAGAJAGA

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by Gudiza(m): 1:39pm On May 16, 2013
kevoh: Just laughing because I know another side of this story that is not being told by the scholars. For the sake of their money I'll let it slide.
If you have any information do share.
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by yeboyes: 1:42pm On May 16, 2013
[size=15pt]Yet the senate Approved and paid N9 billion to build a new unnecessary house for the useless vice President.

FRESH AIR
[/size]
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by Nobody: 1:44pm On May 16, 2013
Before you know it now innocent students that went to better themselves will turn to ashawo work and yahoo yahoo for survival

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by Pray(m): 1:45pm On May 16, 2013
First of all, are they coming back to practise in Nigeria after their education? If yes, Jonah pay their money and if no, guys make una hustle. Even we that are in the country are hustling on or own..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by fuckluv(f): 1:45pm On May 16, 2013
Alamen001: These guys don enter 1 chance.
shocked grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by alphaconde(m): 1:48pm On May 16, 2013
You all wanted to go abroad and now u r abroad please stay abroad.
Govt haven't paid our busary here, u need to wait a liitle.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by Edoboy1(m): 1:48pm On May 16, 2013
cheesy cheesy cheesy . She said they will get back to them when they finish their findings...."Crying for the students in my dialect, OGHUWA FO". Can't they do part time jobs? Or they r not allowed? Ha! I just tire for my country. What's the way forward?
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by maasoap(m): 1:48pm On May 16, 2013
kevoh: Just laughing because I know another side of this story that is not being told by the scholars. For the sake of their money I'll let it slide.
Just listen to yourself, I'm ashamed of you.
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by dridowu: 1:50pm On May 16, 2013
I dy laugh oooo
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by tspun(m): 1:50pm On May 16, 2013
dont be suprise that their allowance have being paid but those theif that are in charge have used the money for smtin else, i day shame for my country atimes . Abeg make ona no let outside people hear am o.
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by julioralph(m): 1:51pm On May 16, 2013
I'm so sure one 'Oga @ the top' is sitting on their allowance.
NB: I hope my comments above do not contravene any of Seun's 21 Commandments! wink
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by raynold(m): 1:52pm On May 16, 2013
sweet Jesus!!!!!!!! wetin I no go hear about this country
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by ichommy(m): 1:53pm On May 16, 2013
julioralph: I'm so sure one 'Oga @ the top' is sitting on their allowance.
NB: I hope my comments above do not contravene any of Seun's 21 Commandments! wink
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 16, 2013
Who is the ambassador to Russia
Let us post his picture here
He knows something about this
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by Kslib(m): 1:56pm On May 16, 2013
coputa: The fund has been released /remitted,but the person in charge in connivance with the nigerian ambassador to Russia are sharing the loot/booty of office.....the horzon is still very much cloudy in Nigeria....why is it that an average Nigerian does not have any iota of feelings,pain or remorse when his brother ( a fellow Nigerian ( is in pain,.especially when there is a pecuniary gain.....the beautiful ones are not yet to be born....a nation full of pretenders and lairs.......
Shut da fuuuck up!!!! I know you are trying to sound responsible and caring but make sure you get your facts right next time.. Do you even know what an average Nigerian means?.Thats how you people generalise anyhow without thinking and the ignoramus fellows will foolishly continue spreading the false gospel you've preached...
Nigerians are not perfect,yes we humans are not.. We have our flaws,yes we have.. Some Nigerians are very wicked,yes some humans generally are very wicked but you coming out here to say an average Nigerian is very wicked is a pill i refuse to swallow.. Abi no be the Nigeria wey me dey..
The fact that the FG or one greedy fool has refused to care for those students doesn't give you the right to generalise about what you're very ignorant of.. I wont be surprised if you are in diaspora sef.....
An average Nigerian is very religious/superstitious,yes AGREED!!!
An average Nigerian is very wicked,no ITZ A LIE!!! You siddon for yankee wan come dey tell us how Nigerians no get any iota of feeling for their fellow Nigerians.. Mtcheew,abi no be the Naija wey i dey... Maybe na to get 10 likes dey hungry dis one...

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by Nobody: 1:57pm On May 16, 2013
H.E. Assam Ekanem Assam, (SAN), Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiory of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in the Russian Federation.

http://www.nigerianembassy.ru/

Ebelebe!!!
See title
He is using the money to rub pomade on his head

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by maasoap(m): 1:57pm On May 16, 2013
Pray: First of all, are they coming back to practise in Nigeria after their education? If yes, Jonah pay their money and if no, guys make una hustle. Even we that are in the country are hustling on or own..
This is the effect of our leaders' wickedness at work. They have turned us into people with no compassion for each other. You think that paying their stipends will affect your bursary? It is just that you may not get any bursary, and they may not get any stipends as well. Sorry.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by Truckpusher(m): 2:00pm On May 16, 2013
Les: Nigeria, good ppl, great nation!!!

Am ashamed of this daem country!!!!
You just heard one side of the story and you concluded by saying how ashamed you are when it comes to issues abt Nigeria, in fact you were so blinded by shame that you didn't bother to check your spelling anymore before posting......smh
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by Owutu1(m): 2:03pm On May 16, 2013
nigeria everyday ni een ji rii iiya in dagrin voice
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by zolajpower: 2:04pm On May 16, 2013
the same hardship faced by nigerian student in morocco and some other country where nigerians are presently on scholarship
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by Melancholy(m): 2:13pm On May 16, 2013
Who says nigeria is beautiful not pitiful?
Re: Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival by manmustwac(m): 2:20pm On May 16, 2013
Students from a whole giant of africabegging studentsfrom ghana z imbabwe & other small countries for small change to survive. Shame on you nigeria you are supposed to be lwading the way

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Body Of Senior Advocates Of Nigeria Backs NBA Position On Corrupt Judges / Oyo Approves Issuance Of ₦100B Bond For Iseyin-Ogbomoso Road, Ibadan Airport / Senate Seeks 20% Of National Budget As Their Constituency Projects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.