Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,529 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Reasons Why Number Of Female Converts To Islam Is Increasing In The West - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Reasons Why Number Of Female Converts To Islam Is Increasing In The West (742 Views)

'Its A Peaceful Religion' - Moji Olaiya Converts To Islam / Liz Anjorin Converts To Islam, Changes Name To Aisha / List of Notable Converts to Islam from Wikipedia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Number Of Female Converts To Islam Is Increasing In The West by maclatunji: 5:10pm On May 16, 2013
maclatunji: Reasons Why Female Converts to Islam Have Increased in the West

Over the past few years, more and more Americas have converted to Islam, particularly women and I was curious to find out why.

It appears that women are converting to Islam at such rapid rates that they outnumber men 4 to 1, reports a study on female converts to Islam titled “Women and Conversion to Islam: The American Women’s experience.”

More importantly, many of these women are converting to a religion that many (especially the West) view as patriarchal and oppressive toward women. If that is the case, then why are these women still converting?

Religious converts to Islam greatly increased following September 11 when many people (both men and women alike) became interested in exploring the Islamic religion, such as by reading the Quran and Islamic philosophy and literature on the religion.

Although there have been many explanations offered as to why women continue to convert more than men, I find the research conducted by Elkoubaiti Naoual to be the most interesting.

Elkoubaiti Naoual sought to find out why American women were converting to Islam, especially after September 11. A total of 16 conversion narratives (videos of American women explaining why they converted to Islam) were examined in hopes of answering that question.

Contrary to popular belief, many women were not converting to Islam for marriage.

They were converting for what Naoual defined as “personal reasons…that the women themselves were not satisfied with the religion that they were raised in.” This disinterest in their own religion pushed them toward Islam.

Naoual argues that many women converted to Islam because it just made sense to them (for example, in Islam there is the belief in one god) whereas Christianity left women confused (as there was the belief in the trinity--the father, the son and the holy ghost).

Naoual labels the other reason to explain women converts as “political,” that following September 11 women started to gain interest in the Islamic faith. Because of this surge in interest, women began to read about Islam and the Quran. What they found was that Muslim women were treated the complete opposite of how they were portrayed by the media--as oppressed, controlled and submissive. Many women felt that the religion gave them many rights and freedoms (verses Christianity). Here is an excerpt from one woman named Elizabeth Lmgart Ancherage who was examined in the study and explains why Islam grants women freedom:

“In Islam, we have the right to have property, we inherit, we keep our last names, and we don’t have to take our husbands identities. In Christianity people just don’t understand how the Bible sees women, and I think people really should be working into that, and see how Christians think of women. Muslim women had rights and they can own property and that stuff, Christians were debating if we had so.”

Lastly, I want to point out that although it has been said by the media that female converts to Islam continue to rise, this may not be entirely true. I think because many of these American women are converting to Islam to engage in political violence, particularly as suicide bombers the media are constantly examining this topic.

Sources:

Naoual, Elkoubaiti Women and Conversion: The American Women’s Experience. Study-Women Converts to Islam

http://iqraa.com/en/newsdetails.aspx?NewsID=1024
Re: Reasons Why Number Of Female Converts To Islam Is Increasing In The West by peteregwu(m): 9:43pm On May 16, 2013
no, the reason is what the bible says woule
happen towards the end of the wworld and the
return of Jesus. they are also doing it out of
fear of their life. please read below
2 Thessalonians 2:3 KJV
"Let no man deceive you by any means: for
that day shall not come , except there come a
falling away first, and that man of sin be
revealed, the son of perdition;"
IT IS A SIGN TO SHOW YOU THIS IS THE END
AND THE ANTICHRIST WILL SOON APPEAR
Re: Reasons Why Number Of Female Converts To Islam Is Increasing In The West by Nobody: 10:25pm On May 16, 2013
I remember being interested in Islam as a young girl and wanting to convert.
I made the decision not to for personal reasons but the thought of stability and discipline is what attracted me to it - i know better now...which is i don't need any religion to have either one.

I think the reason those women converted to Islam is because of one or both.
truth is american society can be detrimental to young women as it promotes promiscuity, "free for all" and carefree lifestyles.

anyway, whatever floats their boats.
i just wish them happiness.
Re: Reasons Why Number Of Female Converts To Islam Is Increasing In The West by Nobody: 10:27pm On May 16, 2013
peteregwu:

no, the reason is what the bible says woule happen towards the end of the wworld and the return of Jesus. they are also doing it out of fear of their life. please read below

"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come , except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;"

IT IS A SIGN TO SHOW YOU THIS IS THE END AND THE ANTICHRIST WILL SOON APPEAR.

lwkmd.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL! na wa for you o.
Re: Reasons Why Number Of Female Converts To Islam Is Increasing In The West by maclatunji: 12:10am On May 17, 2013
*Kails*:
I remember being interested in Islam as a young girl and wanting to convert.
I made the decision not to for personal reasons but the thought of stability and discipline is what attracted me to it - i know better now...which is i don't need any religion to have either one.

I think the reason those women converted to Islam is because of one or both.
truth is american society can be detrimental to young women as it promotes promiscuity, "free for all" and carefree lifestyles.

anyway, whatever floats their boats.
i just wish them happiness.

You are morphing as you pass through life. It is a personal journey that only you can truly make. I disagree with your conclusion on discipline and personal stability. However, it would most likely be futile to try to convince you. That conviction has to come from within you. I hope it does eventually.
Re: Reasons Why Number Of Female Converts To Islam Is Increasing In The West by larrymoore(m): 1:23pm On May 17, 2013
[quote author=peteregwu]no, the reason is what the bible says woule
happen towards the end of the wworld and the
return of Jesus. they are also doing it out of
fear of their life. please read below
"Let no man deceive you by any means: for
that day shall not come , except there come a
falling away first, and that man of sin be
revealed, the son of perdition;"
IT IS A SIGN TO SHOW YOU THIS IS THE END
AND THE ANTICHRIST WILL SOON APPEAR. Some are spiritually blind but assume to kw it all, don't be in haste, the end justifies the means.
Re: Reasons Why Number Of Female Converts To Islam Is Increasing In The West by peteregwu(m): 1:41pm On May 17, 2013
*Kails*:

lwkmd.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL! na wa for you o.

so, why the "loooooooooooooool?" i just quoted what the bible says that many will deny Jesus in the end, which is also happening. anyway, i dont need to worry myself. guess you a muslim. huh!

(1) (Reply)

Quoting The Quran Out Of Context As Practised By Non Muslims. / I Heartily Welcome My New Pikin, Zayd (bobo) / Islam And Idolatry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.