Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,412 members, 7,954,647 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:40 AM

The State Of Emergency Declaration - An Appraisal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The State Of Emergency Declaration - An Appraisal (764 Views)

Buhari's Asset Declaration: An Attempt To Sway Sympathy Ahead Of #100wastedDays / Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And 'the World Peace Ambassador' Saga - An Appraisal / Patrick Obahiagbon And The Nigerian Hypocrisy About Public Speeches-an Appraisal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The State Of Emergency Declaration - An Appraisal by Sweetlemon(f): 12:03pm On May 17, 2013
President GEJ has finally decided to take some tangible steps to curbing Boko Haram (and we all know he hasn't been doing anything about it before now) The declaration Of State of Emergency in Boko haram hot beds should be, in my opinion, applauded.

However, it is pertinent to note that in the Nigerian constitution, when a state of emergency is declared by the president in any states of the federation, the civilians in power are meant to hand over their duties to military personels. Meaning that the civilans give up their constitutional powers to the military. In GEJ's case, he retained the governors and his cabinet in power meaning that the military personels do not yet have full powers to do their jobs the way they think it will be best as the governors in power might try to interfere.
Having this in mind and the fact that these governors might be Boko haram sympathizers, and another obvious fact that GEJ is trying quite hard not to step on northern leaders' toes because he needs their support for 2015, how effective do you think this whole state of emergency thing will be? Don't forget the oga-at-the-top syndrome will definitely play a part on how JTF fights boko haram as they cannot do any thing without getting orders!

However, I think that instead of criticizing the whole thing, let's just sit back and watch / observe their progress for a while before we start concluding wether or not this decision is right or wrong. In fact, let's support GEJ on this and see how it all goes by the end of the year. Let's give GEJ a chance to prove that he is not a retardeen. Lol!

This brings me to another concern of ACN and their condemnation of this new move by GEJ, I for one am in total support of ACN taking over from PDP especially as Gov Rochas Okorocha has now joined. I strongly believe that whatever they have to offer us is much better than what PDP is feeding us with now (even though they are all thieves lol!) but they should please pipe down so that people will not start loosing respect for them. Let them just wait for the scheme to fail before they criticize as criticizing this move by GEJ at a time when Nigerians are desperate for anything that will curb this menance will not be good for their political goals in 2015. ACN agents on NL please take note of this o!

1 Like

Re: The State Of Emergency Declaration - An Appraisal by Nobody: 12:15pm On May 17, 2013
The crux of the matter is that the Nigerian army is already overstretched and most world renowned military analysts believe that the war can't be won militarily. Also, Nigeria lacks the capabilities and the know-how to fight against asymmetric warfare and insurgency. So, evidently, it's not about supporting the so-called SoE or not - it's about thinking critically about what the end game would be. Yes, they will kill a few "Bokoharamists"(and civilians in collateral damage) here and there - but we all need to be vigilant as BH spreads its tentacles across the country - "blowback."

Personally, I kind of understand ACN's stance. It seems they're trying to exonerate themselves and their region from whatever the obvious end-game would be. It's a war and they're in charge of protecting the SW from any "blowback" that might happen, as a result of the SoE.

My 2p, 2cents, and 2kobos! wink
Re: The State Of Emergency Declaration - An Appraisal by Sweetlemon(f): 12:24pm On May 17, 2013
shymexx: The crux of the matter is that the Nigerian army is already overstretched and most world renowned military analysts believe that the war can't be won militarily. Also, Nigeria lacks the capabilities and the know-how to fight against asymmetric warfare and insurgency. So, evidently, it's not about supporting the so-called SoE or not - it's about thinking critically about what the end game would be. Yes, they will kill a few "Bokoharamists"(and civilians in collateral damage) here and there - but we all need to be vigilant as BH spreads its tentacles across the country - "blowback."

Personally, I kind of understand ACN's stance. It seems they're trying to exonerate themselves and their region from whatever the obvious end-game would be. It's a war and they're in charge of protecting the SW from any "blowback" that might happen, as a result of the SoE.

My 2p, 2cents, and 2kobos! wink

You have a point sha. If you look at it, ACN is right about not using the same medicine that has not been working to cure a sick person, But they should not have gone too hard with the criticism. Some sort of 'caveat emptor' statement would have been alright especially at a time when Nigerians are desperate for any kind of action against boko haram.
Re: The State Of Emergency Declaration - An Appraisal by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 17, 2013
Sweetlemon:

You have a point sha. If you look at it, ACN is right about not using the same medicine that has not been working to cure a sick person, But they should not have gone too hard with the criticism. Some sort of 'caveat emptor' statement would have been alright especially at a time when Nigerians are desperate for any kind of action against boko haram.

I also faulted their haste in condemning the SoE and playing the right political card at the wrong time. They sure have the "ace" - if you study the dynamics of everything critically.

However, they understand Nigeria and the politics better than most of us. And I guess they did it for posterity sake.

Also, if you're a student of Nigerian history you would know that the first republic ended the same way with the declaration of "Operation Wettie." And it seems the last republic this regime is about to go down that route as well. [s]But I'll need to ring up Nostradamus for that[/s]. grin

Scary times ahead. lipsrsealed
Re: The State Of Emergency Declaration - An Appraisal by Sweetlemon(f): 2:11pm On May 17, 2013
shymexx:

I also faulted their haste in condemning the SoE and playing the right political card at the wrong time. They sure have the "ace" - if you study the dynamics of everything critically.

However, they understand Nigeria and the politics better than most of us. And I guess they did it for posterity sake.

Also, if you're a student of Nigerian history you would know that the first republic ended the same way with the declaration of "Operation Wettie." And it seems the last republic this regime is about to go down that route as well. [s]But I'll need to ring up Nostradamus for that[/s]. grin

Scary times ahead. lipsrsealed

You are right again that ACN really do understand Nigerian politics better than most of us so they know what they are saying.
But we just need peace, no matter how or where it's coming from.
Re: The State Of Emergency Declaration - An Appraisal by aniiii(f): 2:23am On Jun 23, 2013
###

(1) (Reply)

Happy Democracy Day Nairalanders / Cabinet Reshuffle In Akwa Ibom State / Who Goes First In These Situation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.