Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure (2327 Views)

I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With / Algorithm And Matlab Programming! / Algorithms And Data Structure. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure by dansmog(m): 12:16pm On May 17, 2013
So i have descided to learn algorithm and data structures (for web app development), and to be able to write good codes that is well organized.

Therefore i want to know above average - if not all (since am still a web app learner, and based on javascript and it frameworks + RoR), mind you i have no prior understanding of algorithm, have seen things like O(n^2), sorting, binary, brute force algorithm types. But have not done anything yet.

So here are my questions:
1. As a beginner to this, what topics of Maths should i know very well.
2. Where can i get detailed beginner tutorial.
3.what is your advice to me

Thank you, and God bless you.
Re: Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure by Ajibel(m): 8:40pm On May 17, 2013
Hi, okay am learning algorithms too. I started out learning from Wikibook-Algorithms and data structures
then downloaded 2 free pdf's -- Algorithms and data structure by N. Wirth and Matters Computational by Jörg Arndt
Do u have any programming language in mind u intend going into?
For maths? Guess u should be good in further maths cool am learning on my own.opinions 4rm others would prolly differ from mine

1 Like

Re: Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure by dansmog(m): 9:22pm On May 17, 2013
Ajibel: Hi, okay am learning algorithms too. I started out learning from Wikibook-Algorithms and data structures
then downloaded 2 free pdf's -- Algorithms and data structure by N. Wirth and Matters Computational by Jörg Arndt
Do u have any programming language in mind u intend going into?
For maths? Guess u should be good in further maths cool am learning on my own.opinions 4rm others would prolly differ from mine
thank you, i will download those books, have checked some post on nairaland and i found some useful guides. Regarding programming lang i will choose python.
Re: Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure by Ajibel(m): 9:33pm On May 17, 2013
dansmog++:
thank you, i will download those books, have checked some post on nairaland and i found some useful guides. Regarding programming lang i will choose python.

good choice on python cool there is also a python algorithm tutorial pdf.cant remember d author now.just make extensive use of google to put u thro'. Gudluck!
Re: Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure by WhiZTiM(m): 4:04pm On May 18, 2013
with respect to Mathematics...
As a beginer, you should know
Simple Algebra! Including logarithm, indices, etc.

Then...try to know some...
simple geometry
Basic number theory...
Elementary Probability...
Elementary set theory...
Some simple numerical approach to some things...

And start building up ohkay...
Re: Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure by dansmog(m): 6:24pm On May 18, 2013
WhiZTiM: with respect to Mathematics...
As a beginer, you should know
Simple Algebra! Including logarithm, indices, etc.

Then...try to know some...
simple geometry
Basic number theory...
Elementary Probability...
Elementary set theory...
Some simple numerical approach to some things...

And start building up ohkay...
thank you. Already knows theses
Re: Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure by malign(m): 6:25am On May 19, 2013
The biggest problem here is that which a novice must learn data structures and algorithms, in conjunction with a language model. So, there are different approaches to learning how to implement one thing, against a stream of various syntactical models and paradigms.

You should definitely pick up something concerning "logic and proofs" initially, a quick search would show you more than enough resources on that front.

Look into the works of Donald Knuth. He's written more volumes on ds/a than you could hope to need through your programming career.

Take a look at this. http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-006-introduction-to-algorithms-spring-2008/index.htm. It's an open course at MIT, on Algorithms.. You're expected to know some Python, which can be achieved by reading through this http://docs.python.org, the language is a little large, but you'll pick it up easily enough. Be sure to browse through some of the others.

Here's also a decent (free) ebook on ds/a. http://dotnetslackers.com/projects/Data-Structures-And-Algorithms/

I learned mostly in C, and using Robert Sedgewick's "Data Structures and Algorithms in C", but I wouldn't recommend it for a first language to anyone.

Happy learning.
Re: Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure by dansmog(m): 12:46pm On May 19, 2013
now i understand what you guys are saying ,,, but the thing is : is it not possible to learn algorithm without a partivular language? Then i can implement anything i want to in any language?
Re: Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure by Javanian: 12:54pm On May 19, 2013
dansmog++:
is it not possible to learn algorithm without a partivular language? Then i can implement anything i want to in any language?

Yes you can
Re: Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure by malign(m): 1:09pm On May 19, 2013
dansmog++:
now i understand what you guys are saying ,,, but the thing is : is it not possible to learn algorithm without a partivular language? Then i can implement anything i want to in any language?

You can, but in order to apply them to a problem-set, you need some sort of syntax. You could use flow-charts, and pseudo-code if you want a rounded understanding, that you can later translate into some sort of programming language; and more often than not, this is how programming is generally taught in a lot of universities.

At this point, you might really enjoy reading The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. Probably want to wander through it before other books (it's freely available here, http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp)
Re: Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure by dansmog(m): 2:00pm On May 19, 2013
Javanian:

Yes you can
lovely, then i will like to start it that way. So whats your way in of the matter.
malign:

You can, but in order to apply them to a problem-set, you need some sort of syntax. You could use flow-charts, and pseudo-code if you want a rounded understanding, that you can later translate into some sort of programming language; and more often than not, this is how programming is generally taught in a lot of universities.

At this point, you might really enjoy reading The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. Probably want to wander through it before other books (it's freely available here, http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp)
ok, now thats fine, and that way, i dont need to learn a new language all becos of algorithm, i can just used any language i know to implement, as far as i understand the algorithm.
Re: Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure by malign(m): 2:46pm On May 19, 2013
dansmog++:
lovely, then i will like to start it that way. So whats your way in of the matter. ok, now thats fine, and that way, i dont need to learn a new language all becos of algorithm, i can just used any language i know to implement, as far as i understand the algorithm.

Depending on the problem you're trying to solve. One could use a fork as a can opener, but it would probably make for a horrible can opener.
Re: Please i want to learn algorithm And Data Structure by madelinekim(m): 6:12am On May 24, 2013
Data and file structure is the best subject of software engineering that is interesting to learn its algorithms. I know that algorithms are little bit tough to learn and remember but if you learn and understand properly its concepts then it will be easy for you to learn. You can download e books from the web to learn effectively.

(1) (Reply)

What It Takes To Develop An Android App (for Beginners Only) / Who Earns More : Web Designer Or Application Developer / What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.