Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,546 members, 7,816,327 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

Word Of Faith - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Word Of Faith (2356 Views)

The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria / What Is The Extent Of Faith? / Word Of Faith:what Is Faith? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Word Of Faith by nlMediator: 8:06am On May 22, 2013
shdemidemi:

Check all the names you listed alongside Paul...Are they preaching the gospel?
Is the word of faith ministry part of the gospel? Is prosperity teaching part of the gospel? Of course not, these doctrines are from the deepest part of hell.

Apostle Paul said to all believers through the Holy Spirit 'follow my teachings as I follow Christ'. His teachings were clear for all to see, the man also said in Gal 1
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Therefore any man that claims he has got a new revelation from God is a liar. We have 1 message from God, the gospel that has the power unto salvation for anyone who believe.

Yeah, they are preaching the mesage from hell, simply because you say so. Why don't you talk to the multitudes that God has used them to bring to a saving knowledge of Jesus? Or maybe, you question the salvation of those ones too? And you need to take your own advice. You say that any man that claims he has a new revelation beside the gospel preached by Paul is a liar. Yet, you are the one claiming based on "progressive revelation" that the power of miracles has seized. Something Paul never preached.

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith by shdemidemi(m): 8:20am On May 22, 2013
nlMediator:

No, you are the one trying to make the scriptures say what they are not saying. And your position is based on contadictions.

Like I said to you on the other thread, the bible is clear with what power the gospel carries. I don't understand your position when you say I am making the scriptures say what I want. Lets look at the lucid verse together-

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: [b]for it is the power of God unto salvation [/b]to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

I believe that message is clear enough except you want to add or take out of it.

nlMediator: You say God has not promised us anything, yet you also claim we can pray to Him to answer our prayers. Is the promise of answered prayers not a promise? Why are you praying to God when you don't think He'll answer?
A big problem in the body of Christ. Praying does not mean asking God for this and that, you can ask all you like, if it is not in line with the will of God, you are on your own as far as God is concerned. The best prayer ever is to pray that the will of God come to past in our lives in any situation but our present Christians want it their own way.
nlMediator:
And you talk of the rich man and Jesus and also Paul's writing to Timothy on the rich but do not present it fully. Paul wrote to Timothy about the rich and what was the message to the rich? Not to trust in uncertain riches. The message was not to give up all their wealth or leave the Church.

How else could I have presented the story of Jesus and the rich man? Pls help if you know. I wrote about the admonition given to those chasing riches, what else do you expect me to add?
Re: Word Of Faith by shdemidemi(m): 8:45am On May 22, 2013
nlMediator:
Yeah, they are preaching the mesage from hell, simply because you say so.
I did not say so, the bible said so

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed
nlMediator:
Why don't you talk to the multitudes that God has used them to bring to a saving knowledge of Jesus? Or maybe, you question the salvation of those ones too?
Multitudes that go there for what they lust for? Ask them what the gospel to christians is, they can't tell you. They know next to nothing about God. Christianity is not about greed or selfishness of me, myself and I but it is about knowing God and trusting Him in whatever situation. If you don't know why and how you are saved, I am not sure you are.

If you think just answering alter call and attending the church means you are saved, you also need to understand this gospel. Does sleeping in my garage make me a car? going to a social gathering in the name of a church does not make you a christian.
nlMediator:
And you need to take your own advice. You say that any man that claims he has a new revelation beside the gospel preached by Paul is a liar. Yet, you are the one claiming based on "progressive revelation" that the power of miracles has seized. Something Paul never preached.
My brother, the bible says in Corinthians 13 about the best gift which is love, It says the gifts we have now are-
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

As far as God is concerned you are still a baby in spirit if you chase all those unnecessary signs. All we have now is knowledge and teaching which are in part (not even full) until Christ come.
Re: Word Of Faith by Nobody: 12:01pm On May 22, 2013
shdemidemi:

Check all the names you listed alongside Paul...Are they preaching the gospel?
Yes..they are..i have never herd them say Jesus is not the son of God. Have you?
Is the word of faith ministry part of the gospel?
Yes it is.prov 4:20-22.
Of course not, these doctrines are from the deepest part of hell.
RATHER your gospel is from hell.

Apostle Paul said to all believers through the Holy Spirit 'follow my teachings as I follow Christ'. His teachings were clear for all to see, the man also said in Gal 1
then show us which part of their teachings runs contrary to that of paul.
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Therefore any man that claims he has got a new revelation from God is a liar. We have 1 message from God, the gospel that has the power unto salvation for anyone who believe.
grin rather it was the same pauline epistles that opened their eyes to the word of faith and prosperity messages that you are hell-bent in condemning..you better go back and read the bible again instead of spewing thrash here.
Re: Word Of Faith by shdemidemi(m): 12:19pm On May 22, 2013
Bidam: Yes..they are..i have never herd them say Jesus is not the son of God. Have you?.
That's where the problem is with you, you don't know what the gospel of the age of the church is. Jesus asked Peter 'who do people say I am', the answer to that question was enough to save before the death of Christ but the gospel changed after the death and resurrection of Christ. The question now would be, do you know why I died and resurrected?

Therefore the gospel to every Christian is believing the death, burial and resurrection of Christ for the propitiation of the sin of mankind. Never ever think you can exhaust this gospel because loads of doctrines like condemnation, imputation, love, hope, contentment, sanctification and many more can be drawn from this one gospel.

Anything different from this gospel is false according to the scriptures.
Bidam:
8 grin rather it was the same pauline epistles that opened their eyes to the word of faith and prosperity messages that you are hell-bent in condemning...

You lie.. table your case without inferring to what the context of the scripture says. You sound like you make a living off false doctrine.
Re: Word Of Faith by brainpulse: 12:29pm On May 22, 2013
@ Ihedinobi.
God bless you this morning. I do find your topic very interesting and will like to chip in some contribution from my own horizon. I must tell you that lately NL has being invaded by different kind of views that had made the forum very boring, so what I do most times is to go thru some comments, laugh, shake my head and close.
Miracle is an important tool in the hands of the Lord for his children and a medium in which God exhibits extraordinary things, wonders and workings beyond human understanding and comprehension. The workings of miracles are for different purposes and as specified in the bible and used by the fathers of faith, Christ our savior and the apostles, not forgetting the DEVIL for different reasons. That means even the Devil can do some "miracle".
Miracle is not ascribed to human power but attributed to the supernatural, extraordinary or divine source.
I will like to limit this exposition to the miracles of Christ
The purpose of the Miracles of Christ during his ministry can be summed up into 5...
1. Out of compassion
2. To show the power of God in him
3. To bring the people close and secure the attention of those he wanted to preach to
4. To bring people into repentance
5. To teach the Disciples and believers that they can likewise do same.

1. Out of Compassion- John 11:1-45. The raising of Lazarus from the Dead after the fourth day was one of the events in Christ ministry that He showed compassion. We saw how He wept though we believe He could have wept for several reasons, but He showed His human side and in his emotions from the tone of His prayer. Jesus an embodiment of Love showed not from pride, arrogance or show of theatrical display but how He wanted Man to be free from the bondage of the enemy and be whole in body.

2. To show and glorify the power and authority of God in him- John 3:2, John 10:25, 38. This shows one of the intent of his miracles that He is God and carries the inherent power of Godship in Himself. He knew that for some to listen they will have to see the extraordinary works of God not seen before. And the bible says some believed and received him for this purpose. John 9:3-5 “neither this man nor his parents sinned,' said Jesus, 'but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world”. Nicodemus came to him because He knew that for a man to do wrought those miracles, must be someone like God.

3. To bring the people close and secure the attention of those he wanted to preach to- Mathew 17:1-28. Some of the miracles of Christ were to bring the people close to him. Mathew 14: 13-21. Jesus told his disciples not to chase the 5000 away because He knew with such multitude at a go; you needed a miracle to draw their attention with only 5 loaves and 2 fish. Everyone ate and was satisfy to hear the word of the master.
This miraculous feeding of the multitude was another sign that Jesus was the Messiah

4. To bring people into repentance- John 3:1-3 Talked about the discussion of Nicodemus where he was telling Christ about the miracles of Christ and it was only someone from God that can perform such wondrous acts. Nicodemus wanted more about God; he knew there was more than just performing religion, there was this hunger for righteousness and repentance. Christ saw this in him and took the advantage. The 10th leper that came back in Luke 17:11-19.
5. To teach the Disciples and believers that they can likewise do same- Mathew 17:20-21 Jesus thought the disciples that all the miracles can be done by a believer that believes and have faith in the efficacy of the power of God and He commanded them to do likewise and this sign shall follow all that believe; In His name they shall cast out demon…..Mark 16: 15-20.
So as a believer the working of miracles are our rights in Christ Jesus when we are faithful to him, however a believer that has grown in faith will know at a stage that he no longer live or run after miracle anymore, for he is a custodian of the miracle of God. And also know when it is fake (Simon the sorcerer) or from God. The believer hungers for more of God daily not only miracles which are side attractions but the presence of God which is the main thing.

What we need to Grow is our faith in Him daily, seeking His face in truth.

That I may Know in Phillians 3:10. The more of Christ we need as a believer willing to grow and know His words
Re: Word Of Faith by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 22, 2013
shdemidemi:
That's where the problem is with you, you don't know what the gospel of the age of the church is. Jesus asked Peter 'who do people say I am', the answer to that question was enough to save before the death of Christ but the gospel changed after the death and resurrection of Christ. The question now would be, do you know why I died and resurrected?

Therefore the gospel to every Christian is believing the death, burial and resurrection of Christ for the propitiation of the sin of mankind. Never ever think you can exhaust this gospel because loads of doctrines like condemnation, imputation, love, hope, contentment, sanctification and many more can be drawn from this one gospel.

Anything different from this gospel is false according to the scriptures.

You lie.. table your case without inferring to what the context of the scripture says. You sound like you make a living off false doctrine.
lol..your argument is blind really..you are the ones that accuse Hagin of false doctrines.the onus is on you and drummaboy to prove otherwise whether what they said is scriptures or not.
Re: Word Of Faith by brainpulse: 12:46pm On May 22, 2013
When Miracles are done to glorify and exalt a man then it is not of God. When they are to seek financial, material or any physical gain, they are to be questioned. If they are against the WILL of God then it can't be from God.
A believer must be very sensitive and hope, have faith in God not on the Man or Vessel. And the Man of God needs to be very careful when the miracles are making him the subject of people's admiratiion instead of God and when people are praising him.
Re: Word Of Faith by ApostlePat: 12:48pm On May 22, 2013
you don't need miracles to validate the truth, you need the word.sanctify th hem by your word, your word is truth.
Re: Word Of Faith by shdemidemi(m): 12:54pm On May 22, 2013
@brainpulse

I agree with all you said, Christ's primary reasons for doing all the miracles was to show the Jews he is the king of the Jews. The king their fathers and prophets had always told them was coming according to God's promise. The nation of Israel rejected Christ which led to his death(in flesh) and opened the door of salvation to gentiles.

God is definitely capable of any miracle as it is in his power but contentment is a major doctrine of this gospel of Christ. Therefore, no man as a special power to do miracle in this age, the only spiritual gifts we have in church today is knowledge and teaching (in parts).
Re: Word Of Faith by DrummaBoy(m): 12:55pm On May 22, 2013
@Bidam

The people who teach Word of Faith do not know what Paul taught. They mis-interprete Paul and the outcome is the gibberish yourself and other neo-Judaizers spew out here.

But then Paul did talk about these Word of Faithers:

1. Act20: He spoke of how grievous wolves will enter the flock of God seeking a following (or church growth or mega churches)

2. Timothy: He taught how some will say that godliness is gain or the fruit of living right is God's blessing; who teach that Christians going through challenges, financial or health, are suffering Satan attack or have disobeyed God. They do not have anywhere in their doctrine that includes divine discipline (Heb 12)

3. Peter, Jude and John condemned these faith teachers, and Jesus commended those who can test them to know if they are true and have found them to be false in His letters in Revelation

Faith teachers are the enemies of Christ's cross, their god is their bellies and bc of them the way of the Lord is blspememed.

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 22, 2013
DrummaBoy: @Bidam

The people who teach Word of Faith do not know what Paul taught. They mis-interprete Paul and the outcome is the gibberish yourself and other neo-Judaizers spew out here.

But then Paul did talk about these Word of Faithers:

1. Act20: He spoke of how grievous wolves will enter the flock of God seeking a following (or church growth or mega churches)

2. Timothy: He taught how some will say that godliness is gain or the fruit of living right is God's blessing; who teach that Christians going through challenges, financial or health, are suffering Satan attack or have disobeyed God. They do not have anywhere in their doctrine that includes divine discipline (Heb 12)

3. Peter, Jude and John condemned these faith teachers, and Jesus commended those who can test them to know if they are true and have found them to be false in His letters in Revelation

Faith teachers are the enemies of Christ's cross, their god is their bellies and bc of them the way of the Lord is blspememed.
grin All these gibberish are just pure emotionalism. you are yet to prove from a biblical perspective whether what they said run contrary to scriptures..and if you ave not taken time to read their books before coming to this funny conclusion..you just shut up..ok?
Re: Word Of Faith by Nobody: 1:26pm On May 22, 2013
brainpulse: When Miracles are done to glorify and exalt a man then it is not of God. When they are to seek financial, material or any physical gain, they are to be questioned. If they are against the WILL of God then it can't be from God.
A believer must be very sensitive and hope, have faith in God not on the Man or Vessel. And the Man of God needs to be very careful when the miracles are making him the subject of people's admiratiion instead of God and when people are praising him.

exactly my bro..ayam am not saying our fathers never had their flaws but to come and categorically condemn them out rightly is what am against.
Re: Word Of Faith by Nobody: 1:28pm On May 22, 2013
ApostlePat: you don't need miracles to validate the truth, you need the word.sanctify th hem by your word, your word is truth.
which wan this wan dey talk again? does the WORD not generate miracles?
Re: Word Of Faith by shdemidemi(m): 1:30pm On May 22, 2013
Bidam: grin All these gibberish are just pure emotionalism. you are yet to prove from a biblical perspective whether what they said run contrary to scriptures..and if you ave not taken time to read their books before coming to this funny conclusion..you just shut up..ok?

You keep going up and down without any proof to back that which you believe. I have told you what the gospel of Christ is- The gospel did not start when Christ was with us in flesh but started after resurrection.
Romans 15 says
8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:

His ministry on earth was primarily to the circumcised(jews).The gospel of Christ to the gentiles is the good news to the church. Is this what these rogues teach?
Re: Word Of Faith by brainpulse: 1:32pm On May 22, 2013
Bidam: exactly my bro..ayam am not saying our fathers never had their flaws but to come and categorically condemn them out rightly is what am against.

We are not to condemn them outrightly. Agree with you same
Re: Word Of Faith by shdemidemi(m): 1:38pm On May 22, 2013
Bidam: which wan this wan dey talk again? does the WORD not generate miracles?
What miracle? If the word generates any miracle, It is the renewal of your mind from earthly things to an intuition focused on the hope of the coming of Christ.
Re: Word Of Faith by Nobody: 1:52pm On May 22, 2013
shdemidemi:

You keep going up and down without any proof to back that which you believe. I have told you what the gospel of Christ is- The gospel did not start when Christ was with us in flesh but started after resurrection.
Romans 15 says
8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:

His ministry on earth was primarily to the circumcised(jews).The gospel of Christ to the gentiles is the good news to the church. Is this what these rogues teach?
grin me, giving my life to Jesus is ample proof already..you ain't there bro when the gospel was preached to me. God dealings with individuals differ..you can't just quote a portion of the bible and say it is applicable to save someone when God has not opened the eyes of the sinner to see why he needs salvation..THAT IS WHY WE ARE URGED TO preach the totality of Christ.when peter preached in Acts 2..He started from the prophecy of Joel describing the messiah before the message climaxed in verse 36. so you see It is the Holy Spirit that give us what to say and not what you think about the bible.
Re: Word Of Faith by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 22, 2013
shdemidemi:
What miracle? If the word generates any miracle, It is the renewal of your mind from earthly things to an intuition focused on the hope of the coming of Christ.
alright..allow me to enjoy the benefits of redemption..it is a complete package really. grin
Re: Word Of Faith by shdemidemi(m): 2:27pm On May 22, 2013
Bidam: grin me, giving my life to Jesus is ample proof already..you ain't there bro when the gospel was preached to me. God dealings with individuals differ..you can't just quote a portion of the bible and say it is applicable to save someone when God has not opened the eyes of the sinner to see why he needs salvation..THAT IS WHY WE ARE URGED TO preach the totality of Christ.when peter preached in Acts 2..He started from the prophecy of Joel describing the messiah before the message climaxed in verse 36. so you see It is the Holy Spirit that give us what to say and not what you think about the bible.

you made another mistake again. Peter is a Jewish believer, he is an apostle to the Jews, Paul is the model of a gentile believer cos he was sent to the gentiles. The promise God made to Abraham's descendants lives on even through Christ but through Christ the gentiles(the rest of the world) have been saved. You would not see Paul make examples or references with the dispensation of the law instead the man goes as far as Adam and Abraham.
Re: Word Of Faith by Nobody: 2:29pm On May 22, 2013
shdemidemi:

you made another mistake again. Peter is a Jewish believer, he is an apostle to the Jews, Paul is the model of a gentile believer cos he was sent to the gentiles. The promise God made to Abraham's descendants lives on even through Christ but through Christ the gentiles(the rest of the world) have been saved. You would not see Paul make examples or references with the dispensation of the law instead the man goes as far as Adam and Abraham.
the whole bible is one COMPLETE PACKAGE TO THE BELIEVER..AYAM TIRED OF THIS ARGUMENT WITH YOU ABEG.
Re: Word Of Faith by shdemidemi(m): 2:39pm On May 22, 2013
The problem with most Christians is that we don't see the story of the whole bible. The whole book is a compact story but people just see it as where you can go 'shop' for quotes. Every statement made in the bible has a reason and an audience, if we don't understand the full story it will be difficult to discern what and why anyone in the bible is speaking the way they are at any point in time.

Jesus said, in the gospel according to Marl 'Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs'.
We need to know why Jesus made this statement, but we ignore it and look for the better things like miracles. If it was not us he was calling a dog, what makes us feel it was us he is saying good things about.

We need to understand the story and stop cherry picking.
Re: Word Of Faith by Nobody: 2:44pm On May 22, 2013
shdemidemi: The problem with most Christians is that we don't see the story of the whole bible. The whole book is a compact story but people just see it as where you can go 'shop' for quotes. Every statement made in the bible has a reason and an audience, if we don't understand the full story it will be difficult to discern what and why anyone in the bible is speaking the way they are at any point in time.

Jesus said, in the gospel according to Marl 'Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs'.
We need to know why Jesus made this statement, but we ignore it and look for the better things like miracles. If it was not us he was calling a dog, what makes us feel it was us he is saying good things about.

We need to understand the story and stop cherry picking.
so since we are in Christ we are no longer children but dogs abi no make me vex with you o angry
Re: Word Of Faith by shdemidemi(m): 2:45pm On May 22, 2013
Bidam: the whole bible is one COMPLETE PACKAGE TO THE BELIEVER..AYAM TIRED OF THIS ARGUMENT WITH YOU ABEG.

see how scriptural weak and careless you are, you say things loosely from your cognitive ability about the scriptures. Can you backup that statement with the scriptures?
Re: Word Of Faith by shdemidemi(m): 2:50pm On May 22, 2013
Bidam: so since we are in Christ we are no longer children but dogs abi no make me vex with you o angry
At least I didn't make that up, go and learn why that statement was made. May be after doing that you would know how to divide the word of God and not just see everything as one book you can just close your eye and open anywhere to claim whatever you see.
Re: Word Of Faith by Nobody: 4:16pm On May 22, 2013
You guys, my OP nefa complete una don scatter de thread. I may have to ask the mods to clean up a bit so that what we're discussing is clear, but I'd appreciate it if you all stopped the back-and-forth now.
Re: Word Of Faith by wescoboy: 3:12pm On May 23, 2013
Dear Readers, I saw this topic very interesting but unfortunately the creator's content is more damaging than edifying. I implore everyone on NL to be on his guard. We are in the end time and more antichrists, anti church, anti-word, people are rising everyday. Pls for your own sake, be vigilant. These people cast aspersion on God, His Word, His Men and His moves.

Unfortunately, these guys are well versed in the Scriptures but turn them upside down. They are ever learning but never able to come to the knowledge of truth(2 Tim. 3:7). They sound like Christians but they are not. They have the form of godliness but the denying the power thereof( 2 Tim. 3:5. They are modern day Apollos (Acts 18:24-26) and Saul of Tarsus (Acts 9). They live in the past not knowing that God's syllabus has changed. God has moved on.
While God has not changed, and can not change because He is The Same forever(Heb.13:cool, He manifest Himself in dispensations. God is not orthodox. He is not mechanical. God is dynamic in His manifestations and operations.
Let the discerning beware of the antichrists and their subtlety.

Talking about The Word of faith"

1. Christianity is based on "The Faith" - John 1:12, Acts 6:7
2. Although salvation is free, but we are saved by faith- Rom. 10:9,10, Ephesian 2:8,
3. We stand by faith - 2 Cor.1: 24, Rom. 11:20
4. We live by faith - 2 Cor. 5:7, Habb. 2:4, Heb. 10:38
4. We walk by faith - 2 Cor. 5:7
5. Without faith no one can please God - Heb 11:6
6. Anything not of faith is SIN - Rom. 14:23
7. The Word of Faith is Preached - Rom. 10:8,14

God has always related with Man by faith. The trouble that God has with Israel is born out of Unbelief(Heb. 4:2-11, Num. 14) God wasted the entire generation of Israelites that came out of Egypt(20years and above) in the wilderness because of their lack of faith.

The preaching of the word of Faith or the so-called Faith Movement is God's agenda for the hour because everything revolves around it. No faith, No life. No faith, No Christianity.

Looking at life generally, everything we do suggest we exercise faith one way or another. For example, we draw up a business plan, go to work, embark on journeys etc unconsciously by faith. We all say good night when we want to go to sleep at night. What told you that you were going to wake up the following morning? You just believed that you would wake up. And so it manifests. That is faith in action. So to increase that faith,especially faith in God, His World, His Word, His Power, His ability in you, you must need to hear and keep hearing the Word of Faith again and again.(Rom. 10:17). So who will preach without being sent?(Rom. 10:6-18.) Faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God. And God in His Infinite wisdom has appointed preachers for this task our not believing them and their message can not invalidate God's mandate on their lives and ministries.

God Bless you all.
Re: Word Of Faith by shdemidemi(m): 3:57pm On May 23, 2013
^^^^Good job sir, but I find the post rather ambiguous.
Re: Word Of Faith by anukulapo: 4:58pm On May 23, 2013
wescoboy:

The preaching of the word of Faith or the so-called Faith Movement is God's agenda for the hour because everything revolves around it. No faith, No life. No faith, No Christianity.

Rather I'll say No Love, No life. No Truth, No Christianity.

Though the just shall live by faith...

Amongst all the things that the supreme beings were described as (as their personality) ,faith was not one. We know of Love (1 john 4:cool, Way,Truth and Life (john 14:6), resurrection (john 11:25), bread of life (john 6:35) etc but not faith.

Yes, Heb 11:1 is so true. Same with Heb 11:6 but faith would have it's proper place when viewed in the light of scriptures like Matt 22:37- 40, John 13:35, 1 Cor 13:13, Gal 5:6, 1 Pet 4:8 etc.

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith by Nobody: 11:58pm On May 28, 2013
This is going to be my concluding post on the subject before I proceed to any discussions on it. This post is rather important because it is at this point that I have been stumbling and, I suspect, that Satan corrupted the message.

God has given us all things indeed in Christ. God is indeed desirous to give us good gifts. But how do we partake in these gifts?

I was particularly concerned about how easy it is to take Jesus's assurances that we would have whatever we asked in His Name as an excuse to demand all manner of selfish things and accuse God of unfaithfulness when He does not respond to them.

But then how do we know that what we're asking is true to the Lord Jesus or that it is not? When you need sustenance, is it selfish to ask God to give you a job? When you've been married for so long and still haven't had a child, is it contrary to the Lord Jesus to ask the Lord for the blessing of the womb? When you're getting on in age and are still unmarried, is it selfish to ask the Lord for a spouse? Etcetera etcetera.

The fact is that it is not what we ask thay is necessarily wrong or right or selfish or not. It is the state of the heart asking. And by that, I mean the state of the heart with respect to the particular thing that one is asking. I'm going to loop out a bit now to explain this.

Jesus said that we should seek first the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness and the other things that we are concerned about will be added to us. And the Scriptures say that the Kingdom of God is not meat and drink but righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost. Again we are told that God's Promises are Yes and Amen in Christ. And plenty more. All of that means that unless a particular need that we are concerned about has a place in Christ, we can hope for nothing from God concerning it.

Now, I'llbet the question anyone reading this is asking is "how then do we know if our need is in Christ?" Well, we must first appreciate What Christ is. Christ is the New Creation, the Kingdom of God, that is, that condition of existence where God is unrivalled King and His Rights are undisputed. Under that condition, we are God's Stewards, we are the administrators of His Creation. We bring to His Creation His blessings, His goodness, His Grace and we gather up His Creation's worship and praise back to Him.

Thus our concern is for Creation's need and God's praise. So when we are concerned for something, the first thing that we must do is engage with God intellectually about that thing that we want. How does it fit into God's Purpose to fill Creation with Himself? How does my need for a job fit into Creation's need for its Creator and the Creatoe's Purpose to reclaim His Creation for Himself? How does my need for a child, a spouse, a car and whatever else fit into God's Revealed Purposes? Do I even know what God's Purposes are?

Unless we can find the right answers to those questions, we'd be asking to satisfy our lusts - we'd be asking because we're concerned about what people are saying about us, because we want something we think would make us better people for having it, because we want something somebody else or everyone else appears to be enjoying etc. And God just can't answer such things. He's an unwavering NO to everything outside Christ and such things are.

We must then make sure that our desires align with God's Desires and Purposes when we make our requests. I assure you, my brothers and sisters, that there is an almost-impossible-to-believe confidence that results from knowing that you are partnering with God in the things you wish for and do. That confidence is the reason that it hardly fazes you that the mountain before you blocks out the very sunlight. It is the reason that it doesn't bother you that the storm persists for days on end and there is no sign of light or direction for that long.

I assure you that confidence that you want something God most definitely wants is a powerful driver. It makes everything seem possible to you, and, in fact, it is. You're undeterred by the size of the challenge, if anything, you're excited by it. The thing that causes fear and doubt is uncertainty about God Himself, an actual disconnect with Him in the given matter. Once you are certain of God's Purposesand how your desire aligns with them, there is a release from within and it is a release of faith.

Faith, by definition, takes hold of God. It does not merely say that God can do, it says, "God is doing". It says that not to make God do but because it sees and understands what God is doing. We are called to partner with the Lord God in His Divine Purposes. Thus we must learn what they are and align our desires with them. Where we fail to do so, the only kind of answers we will receive from the Lord is the kind that the Israelites received when they murmured against God demanding meat in the desert. The Word says that while they yet had the meat in their mouths, He slew them.

God has given us everything with Christ. He has given nothing without Christ.

Now, about how this "Word of faith" issue, our Lord was not giving a formula when He said that we would have whatever we said. It is not merely that we should speak something, it is that we should know something and be changed by it. There isn't always a necessity to address a given circumstance verbally to change it, but there will always be a necessity to approach circumstances with the confidence born of the knowledge of God and thus the legitimacy of our desires. And that approach will alter the reality to suit God's Purposes which are embodied in our transformed desires.

So, does God want to make us rich, give us luxury cars, beautiful mansions, as many kids as we want, perfect marriages etc? Er, well, He sure as heck wants us to abound in every good work. As long as abounding in good works equates these things, we will most definitely have them. Where the two are not the same, we will not.

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith by shdemidemi(m): 12:27am On May 29, 2013
Ihedinobi:

So, does God want to make us rich, give us luxury cars, beautiful mansions, as many kids as we want, perfect marriages etc? Er, well, He sure as heck wants us to abound in every good work. As long as abounding in good works equates these things, we will most definitely have them. Where the two are not the same, we will not.

Nice writeup but, are you sure about the above statement ?
Re: Word Of Faith by Image123(m): 12:40am On May 29, 2013
shdemidemi: .

Nice writeup but, are you sure about the above statement ?
What does it matter if he was sure or nothing? Are many atheists not sure of their statements?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Virgin Birth Of Jesus - Most Acceptable Lie, Most Unquestionable Lie. / Provoking Signs & Wonders I / Man Who Sells BLOOD OF JESUS IN A BOTTLE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.