Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,170 members, 7,849,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:02 AM

Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry (945 Views)

You Encourage Corruption By Providing Safe Haven For Stolen Funds, Buhari Tells / Don’t Encourage Corruption, APC Cautions Sultan, Oritsejafor, Kukah, Others / Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by Nobody: 9:41am On May 21, 2013
Jonathan, other PDP governments encourage corruption in Nigeria’s oil industry- government report

The Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative says government hardly implements its recommendations on accountability in the extractive industry.

The deliberate inactions of President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration and those of other Peoples Democratic Party governments since 1999 have encouraged corruption and obfuscation in the Nigerian oil industry, an agency has stated.
The Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative, NEITI, on Monday, expressed frustration in its efforts to boost the level of transparency and accountability in the oil and gas industry.

The agency blamed the federal government for Nigeria’s recent poor ranking in the global Resource Governance Index, RGI, report of the Revenue Watch Institute, RWI.
RWI, in the report, which measured the quality of the extractive industries governance in 58 resource-rich countries across the world, ranked Nigeria 40th, with a score that showed the country’s extractive industries governance as ‘very weak’.

The assessment conducted on the quality of four key governance components, namely Institutional and Legal Setting; Reporting Practices; Safeguards and Quality Controls, and Enabling Environment, showed that Nigeria fared better in institutional and legal setting, as a result of the existence of several legislation on openness and transparency, including NEITI Act, 2007 and Freedom of Information Act, while being rated poorly on the enabling environment.

Failure since 1999
Frowning at the rating, NEITI said, as an agency set up with a mandate to enthrone transparency, accountability and good governance in the country’s extractive sector, it is concerned that its efforts are not yielding desired results as a result of “the slow pace of implementation of findings and recommendations contained in series of its audit reports since 1999.”

“Although an Inter-Ministerial Task Team was set up to address the findings and recommendations of NEITI audit reports under a remediation plan developed by the team, implementation by affected government agencies have recorded little progress,” the agency lamented in a statement by its Director of Communications, Ogbonnaya Orji.

“For instance, NEITI audit reports have consistently recommended inter-agency collaboration to recover an outstanding sum of $9.6 billion from companies (indicted in the audit reports, including the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, for refusing to pay to government various revenues). This fund was uncovered by NEITI as underpayment, under-assessment and variance in royalties, signature bonuses, levies and taxes owed to the Federation.”

According to Mr. Orji, NEITI audit reports also
highlighted the need for openness and competition in the conduct of bids round for allocation of oil blocks, review of existing contracts with companies, efficient and reliable metering regime for measurement of crude.
President Jonathan and the petroleum minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, have been accused in previous investigations by journalists including the now rested NEXT Newspapers of serial violations of Nigerian laws in the allocation of oil blocks and oil export licenses.

Other recommendations that NEITI has made but which have been ignored by the successive federal governments include automation of data gathering and records keeping process, and transparency and accountability in management of revenue flows from companies to the Federation account. Mr. Orji pointed out that Nigeria could have fared better if these identified remedial issues were promptly addressed by government.
FG must commence implementation
While welcoming global assessment like that of the RWI,
NEITI said it “strongly believes that for Nigeria to record significant improvement in such global ranking in future, there is need for prompt implementation of findings and recommendations contained in its audit reports.”

It reiterated the demand for swift passage of the Petroleum Industry Bill, PIB, now before the National Assembly for approval, adding that when passed into law, the Bill would address substantial issues raised in its reports.

http://premiumtimesng.com/business/135147-jonathan-other-pdp-governments-encourage-corruption-in-nigerias-oil-industry-government-report.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=jonathan-other-pdp-governments-encourage-corruption-in-nigerias-oil-industry-government-report

Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by IB5(f): 9:51am On May 21, 2013
Fresh air grin
Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by Gbawe: 10:01am On May 21, 2013
Total vindication of everything I have consistently stated and stood for on this forum. I.e no PDP President will ever come with an agenda of resolving the major problems of Nigeria. Those who are not into self-deceit will be aware of the major problems preventing Nigeria from making progress. I will not bother listing them here because this has been done exhaustively by many analysts and experts worldwide. Suffice to say complete reform of our petroleum sector is one of such problems the right President will tackle with deliberate actions experts have serially recommended since OBJ, through Yar Adua and now GEJ.

We all saw the Ribadu task force vehemently recommend that Nigeria, as the only major exporter of crude doing so, must stop selling her oil through traders as this only encourages graft, lack of transparency and theft against Nigeria. Till now, and many months after Ribadu gave the recommendation that GEJ could have implemented in days, if he wanted, Nada !!! What else is a sensible person left to conclude if not that GEJ is in cahoot with the scamming oil traders?

Some Nigerians can keep fooling themselves, because of their sentiments and sectional bias, but it is crystal clear to objective and mature folks that GEJ, like OBJ and Yar Adua, was empowered to be part of the biggest problems of Nigeria so that a few keep feeding fat while the progress of the Nation remains impeded.

I will say it again that with the PDP at the centre, all Nigeria will get will be those who cause our problems pretending to be looking for solutions same as GEJ carried out the fuel subsidy scam only to pretend he is seeking sanity over the situation. Till today, subsidy scam is still ongoing.

[size=14pt]The deliberate inactions of President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration and those of other Peoples Democratic Party governments since 1999 have encouraged corruption and obfuscation in the Nigerian oil industry, an agency has stated.[/size]
The Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative, NEITI, on Monday, expressed frustration in its efforts to boost the level of transparency and accountability in the oil and gas industry.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by malc619(m): 10:07am On May 21, 2013
Calling GEJ a dunce is actually an insult to the real dunces since he doesn't even measure up to that..

cool
Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by Gbawe: 10:18am On May 21, 2013
malc619: Calling GEJ a dunce is actually an insult to the real dunces since he doesn't even measure up to that..

cool

My man, we all now see it in black and white. Those running around this forum shouting "GEJ is working" are nothing but treasonous elements. I have challenged them many times to tell us what GEJ is doing regarding the major problems of Nigeria. They have never taken me up on the challenge. Rather they flee when it is obvious they will get discredited.

Check the archives to see I have been one of the Nairalanders who has documented some of the main problems of Nigeria and actually showed factually that GEJ's actions/inactions has deliberately worsened those major headaches of our Nation. These serious problems were designed to keep us down by a thieving elite who continue to use the OBJs, Yar Aduas and GEjs to protect their 'cash-cows' and interests. That is why these type of Presidents come in and turn a blind eye to our major headaches to be carrying out patchwork BS some unambitious and clannish elements will term "performance". They will never note, in relation to our big problem of 70% recurrent expenditure, GEJ shamelessly stating that "leaner government not possible" while the Camerons, Merkel et al of the world carry out cuts as they see fit. The man does not even pretend to be seeking solutions. In fact it is clear he is actually sticking his finger up at us and sabotaging Nigeria, on behalf of his 'buddies', such as when he conceded our refineries into the hands of grand corruption (NNPC) for two years !!!

Now I am vindicated with absolute proof of the complicity of GEJ no one can argue with. Sadly this is Nigeria. This will change nothing and those sectionally devoted to GEJ will remain so - and this is the real worry for Nigeria.

President Jonathan and the petroleum minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, have been accused in previous investigations by journalists including the now rested NEXT Newspapers of serial violations of Nigerian laws in the allocation of oil blocks and oil export licenses.

Other recommendations that NEITI has made but which have been ignored by the successive federal governments include automation of data gathering and records keeping process, and transparency and accountability in management of revenue flows from companies to the Federation account. [size=14pt]Mr. Orji pointed out that Nigeria could have fared better if these identified remedial issues were promptly addressed by government.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by IB5(f): 10:32am On May 21, 2013
@Mr Gbawe you're trolling by breaking rule no.21, couldn't understand your write up, break it down or else...undecided
Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by IB5(f): 10:34am On May 21, 2013
malc619: Calling GEJ a dunce is actually an insult to the real dunces since he doesn't even measure up to that..

cool

You are referring to the president of the most populous nation in Africa like that! shocked

Respect the presido
Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by malc619(m): 10:36am On May 21, 2013
I-B.:

You are referring to the president of the most populous nation in Africa like that! shocked

Respect the presido

Tell Mr. Presido to stop being a "You-know-what""....

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by OurYansh: 10:39am On May 21, 2013
I-B.:
@Mr Gbawe you're trolling by breaking rule no.21, couldn't understand your write up, break it down or else...undecided

Maybe you need to get yourself some education. Stop waiting for GEJ to educate you.

Thanks.

cool
Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by Gbawe: 10:47am On May 21, 2013
I-B.:

Are you for real?

"21. Please spell words correctly when you post, and try to use perfect grammar and punctuation."

Look, I don't know who you are and what your problem/issue is but kindly leave others alone and discuss the topic. If you have a problem with what I write, then report it to the mods instead of trying to provoke something over nothing. Was I talking to you or did I ask you to read what I wrote? Please carry your wahala elsewhere.
Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by kunlekunle: 10:48am On May 21, 2013
its an open secret

Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by Gbawe: 2:17pm On May 21, 2013
Has anyone seen those GEJ worshippers? They seem to be avoiding this thread as if it will give them HIV. cool cool

1 Like

Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by EkoAtlantic: 2:58pm On May 21, 2013

cool

^^
Mehn! That was harsh.
Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by EkoAtlantic: 3:00pm On May 21, 2013
Gbawe: Has anyone seen those GEJ worshippers? They seem to be avoiding this thread as if it will give them HIV. cool cool

I dey laugh o...
Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by Gbawe: 5:52pm On May 21, 2013
Eko Atlantic:

I dey laugh o...

Me sef join you dey laff ojare. Vividly illustrated here in black and white is the reason virtually all intelligent and balanced Nigerians dislike the leadership of GEJ while clannish elements talk of "haters". Those who know our major problem, i.e those holding Nigeria back, will appreciate distinctly that GEJ, like others before him, is only pouring petrol on the fire in relation to those major problems. This article confirms it 100% as we have always argued.

Look at the wicked way GEJ, Allison-Madueke and their gang deceived Nigeria and the world with the name and reputation of Ribadu, after the fuel subsidy riot, only to rubbish the man and dump his recommendation, the result of hard work, into the bin. Very callous, deceptive and corrupt people.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by Gbawe: 6:00am On May 22, 2013
This is serious OOO shocked shocked shocked shocked Still no comment from one of the "GEJ is performing" brigade? Proof in black and white that your gradualist messiah is a big failure as per one of Nigeria's major problem and you lot have suddenly become tongue-tied? Okupe will not like this you know. You guys are risking your May and June salary with this cowardice grin grin cool cool
Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by Sibrah: 6:07am On May 22, 2013
Look i know i am honest about fighting corruption. If there was no corruption then there will be nothing to fight in the 'Oyel' industry. Lol
Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by Gbawe: 6:18am On May 22, 2013
Sibrah: Look i know i am honest about fighting corruption. If there was no corruption then there will be nothing to fight in the 'Oyel' industry. Lol

grin grin grin grin I am just surprised the normally garrulous fans of GEJ, keen to celebrate even Cassava bread and seasonal power supply highs, have failed to come and explain this "transformation" and "fresh air" to Nairalanders.
Re: Jonathan, Other PDP Governments Encourage Corruption In Nigeria’s Oil Industry by Nobody: 8:15am On May 22, 2013

cool

shocked

(1) (Reply)

We Almost Fought During Governors' Forum Election – Mimiko / SURE-P Organizes Skills Acquisition Programme In Bayelsa. / 2015 Campaign: APC Wants INEC To Sanction Jonathan’s Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.