Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,873 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:20 PM

What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? (3934 Views)

Price Of Garri Skyrockets Astronomically / The Price Of Garri / What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by frodobee: 10:21am On May 21, 2013
Garri undountedly is a Nigerian staple- consumed by the rich as well as the poor- but mostly by the poor, due largely to its affordability. That same affordability is now being threatened. Bros! As i dey talk to you now, a ''painter'' of garri sells for 500-550naira, as against 280-350naira which it sold at the start of this year, even with the flooding recorded a year earlier.
Question is, (for those that know the economics of garri) what is affecting the price of garri? Is it the goverment, farmers, traders or bad harvest? Do you know where it is sold cheaper? Abeg say something.
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by possibilita(m): 10:33am On May 21, 2013
wow its not a suprise anymor cos a basin of Garri in my village is #5,500 and it gets higher every 4days which is our market days.

1 Like

Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by frodobee: 12:41pm On May 21, 2013
possibilita: wow its not a suprise anymor cos a basin of Garri in my village is #5,500 and it gets higher every 4days which is our market days.
am really concerned about this, and i wish others could air their views too. Maybe you and I are the only forumites that consume garri.
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by possibilita(m): 5:31pm On May 21, 2013
well its just a possibility that we are the only one that consumes it,but its not the garri's fault cos too many ppl consumes it but too little ppl produce it.
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by frodobee: 6:54pm On May 21, 2013
possibilita: well its just a possibility that we are the only one that consumes it,but its not the garri's fault cos too many ppl consumes it but too little ppl produce it.
can it be? Unless the ppl who cultivated it last year died/quit in their numbers or the yield was extremely poor. Or again the produce was exported, else i can't understand the sharp price rise.
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by Aghagba(f): 9:42pm On May 25, 2013
A 'painter' of garri,is 550naira in lagos.mehn,don't know wat is happening 2 our agricultural sector o
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by tjskii(f): 9:56am On May 26, 2013
Was wondering wat u werr talkin bout wen u said painter of garri,I thot people had started using garri to paint houses now cheesy grin, in ibadan here we use congo to measure,and it goes for 250 naira,d tin that we used to getat 170 at d beginin of d year

1 Like

Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by frodobee: 8:21pm On May 26, 2013
tjskii: Was wondering wat u werr talkin bout wen u said painter of garri,I thot people had started using garri to paint houses now cheesy grin, in ibadan here we use congo to measure,and it goes for 250 naira,d tin that we used to getat 170 at d beginin of d year
yea, the four-litre paint bucket is what we use to measure around here, thats how the name -painter- came about. What will explain this increase?
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by Nobody: 1:12am On May 27, 2013
Nairaland is affecting the price of garri.
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by Mynd44: 4:24am On May 27, 2013
How won't garri get expensive when garri sellers have to competes with other buyers of cassava. Due to the other uses of cassava in the production of other foods like bread and co, the price will go up as this will drive demand for the raw material up but there is no increase in the production of cassava hence the problem.

Plus the recent exportation of cassava flour ain't helping.

1 Like

Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by frodobee: 11:52am On May 27, 2013
^^^ the export thing, seems to be cogent. The bread part is more political than real, never ate a bread from cassava flour. Pls God that commodity is very vital to survival of some folks.

1 Like

Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by frodobee: 11:52am On May 27, 2013
^^^ the export thing, seems to be cogent. The bread thing seems to me more said on paper. Pls God that commodity is very vital to survival of some folks.
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by Mynd44: 12:06pm On May 27, 2013
frodobee: ^^^ the export thing, seems to be cogent. The bread thing seems to me more said on paper. Pls God that commodity is very vital to survival of some folks.
I think what they do is to mix cassave flour with the real deal....it is a way those bakers beat down prices and sell silly tasteless bread

1 Like

Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by CrazyMan(m): 8:17pm On Jun 02, 2013
Here in Anambra, cassava farms are almost everywhere...so find it very difficult to understand why garri should be expensive.

1 Like

Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by Nobody: 11:06am On Jun 05, 2013
700 sad
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by frodobee: 3:18pm On Jun 05, 2013
ceewai lebi: 700 sad
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by frodobee: 3:18pm On Jun 05, 2013
Which state? Its even higher than around here.
ceewai lebi: 700 sad
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by SwitAyi(f): 4:33pm On Jun 05, 2013
Here in Benin,d custard rubber bucket goes 4 #550 angry
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jun 05, 2013
frodobee: Which state? Its even higher than around here.
Port-Harcourt oh
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jun 05, 2013
frodobee: Which state? Its even higher than around here.
Port-Harcourt oh;650 self dem nor gree
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by frodobee: 10:09pm On Jun 05, 2013
^^Too bad. I recall discussing with a youth corp member, who told me those traders are used to goin to villages in Enugu and Ebonyi to source garri which they sell in Portharcourt.
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by kpozite(m): 12:26pm On Jun 06, 2013
In my village where someone can take ♈όϋ to his or her farm and ask ♈όϋ to harvest cassava as much as ♈όϋ can, now this year there is nothing like that people are looking cassava to buy that too is proving diffcult. The reason may be the much rain last year though my village in Benue didn't flood last year but I the rain was just too much that it has probably affected the yield.
A painter is N350 a record price.
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by frodobee: 11:22am On Jun 07, 2013
^^ thats a considerate price, seriously. I guess the most common reason so far for the the scarcity and high cost is last years rainfall. I think i will have to accept that. Thank you.
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by frodobee: 1:09pm On Jun 10, 2013
Just though i should write this. I was chatting last friday with an Aide of Ike Ekweremadu(deputy senate president), he made a point and asked me to note it. He said in the no distant time, corporations will dabble into the only two Nigerian staple yet to be fully be fully commercialized- garri and yam.
I probed him further, but he only ask me to trust my instincts. It wasn't funny. Ppl, i think the picture is getting clearer.
Re: What is the price of a 'painter' of garri in your area/state? by frodobee: 1:28pm On Jun 14, 2013
just finished listening to Agric Minister, seems the garri flour is not just a paper thing. if the Shoprite bread is true, then i might have been eating cassava bread all these while. i think big businesses are taking over our garri, hording it for some purposes-maybe export or flour- purposes we do not know and which is raisin considerably the cost of this commodity.

(1) (Reply)

Which Is The Most Consumed Foods In Nigeria: Garri, Bread Or Rice? / Farmhouse Oven Dry Catfish (jumbo Pack) / Daily Dose Of Moringa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.