Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:43 AM

What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? (109907 Views)

Assorted Soaking Garri (must-see Picture) / 15 Ways Of Drinking Garri / What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by coded777: 7:14pm On Apr 06, 2012
Foodiologists, any?
or is it just for cleansing immediate hunger
Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by Fhemmmy: 7:54pm On Apr 06, 2012
Nice question, but never thought about it, however, it makes my heart glad and makes me see heaven when i download the gari soaked in cold water filled with ice cubes, and dancing inside milk and sugar saying Hi as well . . . .

12 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:13pm On Apr 27, 2012
Loss of eyesight

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by kilimanjaro(m): 5:17pm On Apr 27, 2012
Lol @ topic. Wel, i don't know O! But one thing i know is - na poverty go make man say garri good for body.

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:19pm On Apr 27, 2012
Okija_juju: Loss of eyesight

Prove it! grin grin If i had N1 (1 Naira) for every time i heard that this convoluted myth, I would be richer than Otedola by now. grin
I have soaked Garri since Nursery School up to MBA level. and I still do when supper is not ready. I should be blind (and dead) by now.

25 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:21pm On Apr 27, 2012
kilimanjaro: Lol @ topic. Wel, i don't know O! But one thing i know is - na poverty go make man say garri good for body.

Please tell me you don't eat any cassava-based foods (bread, eba, etc) sad you must enjoy those chemically-treated processed-foods, like canned-egusi, canned-tuna, canned-dodo, canned-pounded yam, canned-bushmeat, canne.... grin

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by mikron(m): 5:36pm On Apr 27, 2012
I dont know o @ poster. Some people say lose of sight but i knw those are all lies. I dey drink garri wella and i dey enjoy am wella. Garri+ iced water+sugar+milk. Nothing like it. Mmmmmmmmmmmwwwwaaaaaaa

10 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Apr 27, 2012
kilimanjaro: Lol @ topic. Wel, i don't know O! But one thing i know is - na poverty go make man say garri good for body.
ignoramus!
mikron: Garri+ iced water+sugar+milk. Nothing like it. Mmmmmmmmmmmwwwwaaaaaaa
so on point!
Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by kokoye(m): 5:42pm On Apr 27, 2012
All of you saying garri + ice cubes. Whatever happened to garri + powdered milk + cripsy roasted groudnuts??

I'm a fan for life wink

Maybe no health benefits but the thing dey sweet . . like stew-soaked ponmo!!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:44pm On Apr 27, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

Prove it! grin grin If i had N1 (1 Naira) for every time i heard that this convoluted myth, I would be richer than Otedola by now. grin
I have soaked Garri since Nursery School up to MBA level. and I still do when supper is not ready. I should be blind (and dead) by now.

Bros cool down!!

Na so my uncle follow one guy bet untop the matter drink 1 bag of garri finish in under one week, now my uncle don blind pass stephen wonder. No dey use you eye play o!! Me sef my one eye now don dey shake ontop this garri matter.. . .

8 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by abubakarsaid200: 5:46pm On Apr 27, 2012
spoil eye sight? My guy bone!!! I drank garri this morning & didn't eat untill 3:00pm. Up garri!! STUDENT POWER!!!

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by kilimanjaro(m): 5:49pm On Apr 27, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

Please tell me you don't eat any cassava-based foods (bread, eba, etc) sad you must enjoy those chemically-treated processed-foods, like canned-egusi, canned-tuna, canned-dodo, canned-pounded yam, canned-bushmeat, canne.... grin
See this one O! Did i say i dont drink garri? ehn? I bet u no drink garri reach me!
We call it "garriom" in those days.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by JAZES(m): 5:51pm On Apr 27, 2012
Okija_juju:

Bros cool down!!

Na so my uncle follow one guy bet untop the matter drink 1 bag of garri finish in under one week, now my uncle don blind pass stephen wonder. No dey use you eye play o!! Me sef my one eye now don dey shake ontop this garri matter.. . .

Oga Okija, that your uncle must dey inside guinness book of record oo
for drinking 1bag of Garri in one week. grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:52pm On Apr 27, 2012
Okija_juju:

Bros cool down!!

grin grin grin grin Your Uncle no sabi the formula, you must supplement with milk+sugar+groundnut or kuli-kuli to counter-act the blindness factor grin

15 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Apr 27, 2012
Which one be health benefit of soaking garri again? E pass the lives wey im done save? grin

Health benefit of garri drinking = It saves lives! cheesy

15 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by http(m): 5:54pm On Apr 27, 2012
Okija_juju:

Bros cool down!!

This got me rolling on the floor, come see people rush calling 911 on me... lol! this has caused wahala for me in office now, i think some topic should always come with viewers descretion..

6 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by aljharem(m): 5:55pm On Apr 27, 2012
As a poster rightly said, Garri may cause one to lose his/her eyesight. Cassava itself contains cyanide which is a poison itself, that is why we dry and fry grinned cassava to remove the poison.

Garri can be categorise into 2

1. White garri- the garri is white in colour as the name implies. The only benefit as that it contain fibre and also contains huge amount of carbohydrates.

2. Yellow garri - It is yellow in colour and benefits include carbohydrates, vitamin A (good for eyesight), fibre and vitamin C. The extra vitamins comes from the fact that the garri (crushed dry cassava) has been fried with palm oil instead of vegetable oil.

Again Garri is very good but don't eat it too much (3 times a day everyday is excessive).

Although the best garri is Ijebu garri because of the zero cyanide contain (but also very acidic)

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by kilimanjaro(m): 5:56pm On Apr 27, 2012
Jenams: ignoramus! so on point!
dem swear for u? What does ignorant got to do with what i stated? Na wa o.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by Lagusta(m): 5:56pm On Apr 27, 2012
Garri affecting eyesight;
well, it depends on the garri processed. Cassava contains cyanide (u all know that anyway), which is a nephrotoxin and neurotoxin i.e it damages d kidneys and nerves. Therefore it affects eyesight.
The best garri to drink is IJEBU GARRI, cos it contains minimal to zero cyanide. If u wanna kno the original, then know these facts:
1) Garri that is tasteless is poison, only the sour variety is original
2) If u pour garri inside water, it must foam up, at least a bit. If not, throw it away
3) lastly, garri must swell up in water, if it just swims in it, drown it in the gutter.

So,garri is good, but i dont like mine with milk. Peanuts will dowink

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Apr 27, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

Help me tell am bro...some people just keep deceiving themselves all in the name of big boy

1 Like

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Apr 27, 2012
abubakarsaid200: spoil eye sight? My guy bone!!! I drank garri this morning & didn't eat untill 3:00pm. Up garri!! STUDENT POWER!!!
grin grin grin
Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by Dirac(m): 6:16pm On Apr 27, 2012
None na sign of poverty
Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by dridowu: 6:22pm On Apr 27, 2012
kilimanjaro:
See this one O! Did i say i dont drink garri? ehn? I bet u no drink garri reach me!
We call it "garriom" in those days.
i remeber dat word " GARRIOM " dos dayz 4 secondary sch in ijebu ode
Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 27, 2012
Those who say Garri drinking is a sign of poverty must have been poverty-stricken once in their life-time. Garri has saved a lot of lives and will continue to save students lives. Its health benefit surpasses any adverse effects. It is proudly Nigerian

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by kaynik(f): 6:26pm On Apr 27, 2012
Good points with soaking garri are, Garri water is good for diarrhea and garri itself can ease constipation. It is also important to avoid taking garri that ia not well dried as it can contain some amount of cyanide. This is one of the numerous causes of goitre.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by Mikayla: 6:27pm On Apr 27, 2012
Soaking garri no get anytin 2 do wit health... It is simply CULTURE, a way of life! Every man of our lineage (nigeria) has gone thru its initiation including Oga Jonathan... Dont violate it by trying 2 analyze it, E old pass u!!!

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by MrResource(m): 6:27pm On Apr 27, 2012
kokoye: All of you saying garri + ice cubes. Whatever happened to garri + powdered milk + cripsy roasted groudnuts??

I'm a fan for life wink

Maybe no health benefits but the thing dey sweet . . like stew-soaked ponmo!!

I'm with you grin grin grin
Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by kaiter: 6:29pm On Apr 27, 2012
Those who say Garri drinking is a sign of poverty must have been poverty-stricken once in their life-time. Garri has saved a lot of lives and will continue to save students lives.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by OmawumiMegbele(m): 6:31pm On Apr 27, 2012
[size=20pt]garri, one of God's blessings to humanity grin[/size]
Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Apr 27, 2012
lalaosky:
Help me tell am bro...some people just keep deceiving themselves all in the name of big boy

Keep deceiving yourself.How many resturant do you see selling garri even dieticians wont recommend garri as a food ? The whole idea behind garri is poverty-driven.Just like eating pomo and claiming to be deriving nutrients from it.there is difference between six and half a dozen. tongue also, you are at a risk of contacting Lassa fever if you drink garri so stop it asap. cheesy
Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Apr 27, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

grin grin grin grin Your Uncle no sabi the formula, you must supplement with milk+sugar+groundnut or kuli-kuli to counter-act the blindness factor grin
Re: What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 27, 2012
How wont 90% students wont fail waec & neco..
Topic is 'BENEFITS' (Advantages, positives, goods derived) of garri. Almost all but 2 read and understood before contributing.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

'You Will Think Twice About Eating Suya Meat After Seeing This'. Photos / FG Closes Haufei Restaurant & Mall, Chinese Restaurant In Lagos / The Monkey I Killed Early This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.