Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

The Atheist: The Inferrer - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Atheist: The Inferrer (770 Views)

Why Are The Atheist Not Seeing This? / Mock The Atheist. / The Atheist Creed! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Atheist: The Inferrer by mkmyers45(m): 2:54pm On May 21, 2013
I am opening this thread based on the debated subject of evidence and its an avenue for atheists to step up and state in simple terms what evidence is and to what level should be infer it...

So to the atheist, what is acceptable as evidence? Only what you can see, feel and touch?
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by thehomer: 5:09pm On May 21, 2013
mkmyers45: I am opening this thread based on the debated subject of evidence and its an avenue for atheists to step up and state in simple terms what evidence is and to what level should be infer it...

So to the atheist, what is acceptable as evidence? Only what you can see, feel and touch?

Acceptable evidence for what?
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by ooman(m): 5:13pm On May 21, 2013
only what is accessible in 3D and by maths.

only what is practical
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by mazaje(m): 5:48pm On May 21, 2013
thehomer:

Nicely put. . .
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by mkmyers45(m): 6:06pm On May 21, 2013
thehomer:

For anything, If an subject is put forward and you say 'Its Impossible' What will you accept as evidence. Will you accept only direct evidence, word of mouth, inferred evidence (Because this is present/absent hence this must be this)? Don't you have a set standard to judge something to be true?

1 Like

Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by mazaje(m): 6:08pm On May 21, 2013
mkmyers45: For anything, If an subject is put forward and you say 'Its Impossible' What will you accept as evidence. Will you accept only direct evidence, word of mouth, inferred evidence (Because this is present/absent hence this must be this)? Don't you have a set standard to judge something to be true?

Direct evidence will do for me mostly. . .
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by thehomer: 6:25pm On May 21, 2013
mkmyers45: For anything, If an subject is put forward and you say 'Its Impossible' What will you accept as evidence. Will you accept only direct evidence, word of mouth, inferred evidence (Because this is present/absent hence this must be this)? Don't you have a set standard to judge something to be true?

It depends on what the subject is.
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by mkmyers45(m): 6:26pm On May 21, 2013
mazaje:

Direct evidence will do for me mostly. . .
Then can you specify the exceptions to include other forms of ancedotal evidence since you said 'mostly'
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by mazaje(m): 6:30pm On May 21, 2013
mkmyers45: Then can you specify the exceptions to include other forms of ancedotal evidence since you said 'mostly'

I can accept proper inference, ancedoctal evidence is a no no for me. . .
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by mkmyers45(m): 6:31pm On May 21, 2013
thehomer:

-Double Post-
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by mkmyers45(m): 6:31pm On May 21, 2013
thehomer:

Quite an unacceptable answer don't you think? They has to be a yardstick for you no? E.g It has to be direct or atleast proper inference then its evidence to me or do you pick at will to suit yourself?

1 Like

Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by mkmyers45(m): 6:38pm On May 21, 2013
mazaje:

I can accept proper inference, ancedoctal evidence is a no no for me. . .
Can you give us an example of something you accept because it is properly inferred?
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by mazaje(m): 6:55pm On May 21, 2013
mkmyers45: Can you give us an example of something you accept because it is properly inferred?

The distance of the earth to the sun. . .Or the distance of some planets in other solar systems to their parent stars. . .
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by AtheistD(m): 7:13pm On May 21, 2013
Likewise. Direct evidence. To some extent 3rd party evidence but only where it can be independently verified.
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by thehomer: 8:15pm On May 21, 2013
mkmyers45: Quite an unacceptable answer don't you think? They has to be a yardstick for you no? E.g It has to be direct or atleast proper inference then its evidence to me or do you pick at will to suit yourself?

The sort of evidence that will be satisfactory when it comes to mathematics is different from one in astronomy and different from one in philosophy and different from one in law. So, I need to know what subject you have in mind.
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by plaetton: 2:15am On May 22, 2013
Evidence from direct observations or from improvised scientific tools, from empirical data, or from mathematically deduced inferences.

For example, we don't know when the pyramids were built, but know that they are aligned to a particular stellar configuration.
Through computer modelling, we can see that the particular stellar configuration occurred approximately 10,000BC.
Therefore, we can infer that the Giza pyramids where around 10,000BC.
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by mkmyers45(m): 6:21am On May 22, 2013
mazaje:

The distance of the earth to the sun. . .Or the distance of some planets in other solar systems to their parent stars. . .
These distances are measured using effect of speed of light,gravitational pull etc they are just not inferred...So i still need proper inferencial type evidence from you.
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by mkmyers45(m): 6:23am On May 22, 2013
thehomer:

The sort of evidence that will be satisfactory when it comes to mathematics is different from one in astronomy and different from one in philosophy and different from one in law. So, I need to know what subject you have in mind.
So are you agreeing that evidence is based on the views and scope of the judge?
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by mazaje(m): 9:33am On May 22, 2013
mkmyers45: These distances are measured using effect of speed of light,gravitational pull etc they are just not inferred...So i still need proper inferencial type evidence from you.

OK, I will go with the pyramid of Giza inference from pleatton. . . .Mathematical deductions are enough evidence for me as well(I forgot to include this as well)
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by DeepSight(m): 9:52am On May 22, 2013
@ thehomer: your responses in this thread sir, with respect, are utterly cowardly and disgraceful.
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by mkmyers45(m): 10:31am On May 22, 2013
Deep Sight:
@ thehomer: your responses in this thread sir, with respect, are utterly cowardly and disgraceful.
Exactly what ive been trying to let me know...
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by thehomer: 5:10pm On May 22, 2013
mkmyers45: So are you agreeing that evidence is based on the views and scope of the judge?

No, the sort of evidence to be accepted depends on what is being considered.
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by thehomer: 5:10pm On May 22, 2013
Deep Sight:

Since you're so brave, why don't you show me what the problem with my responses are.
Re: The Atheist: The Inferrer by plaetton: 7:25pm On May 22, 2013
Deep Sight:

HHMMMM. shocked
Them are fighting words. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Short Story (fiction) The Reason Why I Must Kill My Pastor / Alert, Are You Aware Of This? / 35 Years Brotherhood Membership Terminated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.