Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,254 members, 7,849,930 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 11:37 AM

Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis (977 Views)

Power Crisis: Nigeria Lacks Gas To Generate 7,000MW —osinbajo / Amaechi's Supporters Troop In To His Home Today To Show Him Support(pics) / BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by azorjiu(m): 8:45am On Apr 25, 2008
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=109700

President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua will return to the country today from Germany where he received medical treatment for an allergic reaction, his Special Adviser on Communications, Mr. Olusegun Adeniyi, has said.
Speaking to News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Weisbaden, Germany, Adeniyi said the President “is returning in good health and strength, fully prepared to lead efforts to confront critical challenges on his return”.
THISDAY learnt that the presidential jet bringing the President from Germany will arrive Abuja in the evening.
He is expected to be met on arrival by the Vice-President, Dr. Jonathan Goodluck, and other top officials of the government.
"The President intends to give priority attention to measures aimed at addressing the impact of the current global rise in food prices as it affects the ordinary Nigerian,” Adeniyi told NAN, adding: "He will continue to work with stakeholders to contain the incidence of militancy in the Niger Delta region.”
He also said the President is going to pay attention to the power crisis immediately.
"The power sector will remain the core of the President's efforts in the coming weeks as he awaits the report of the Oil and Gas Implementation Committee.
"He is also committed to the diligent implementation of the 2008 budget so that by the end of the current financial year, Nigerians would have begun to notice significant improvements in their material conditions," Adeniyi said.
The President flew out to Germany on April 14 after signing the 2008 Appropriation Bill.
Last Tuesday, Yar’Adua made a surprise call to Chief Gani Fawehinmi to convey his best wishes on the constitutional lawyer’s 70th birthday.
Fawehinmi, who has been ill for sometime, is also recuperating in a UK hospital.
Adeniyi confirmed to the media that Yar'Adua put a call through to Fawehinmi.
THISDAY had reported on Tuesday that the  Minister of Finance, Dr. Shamusddeen Usman, Minister of  Agriculture and Water Resources, Dr. Sayyadi Abba Ruma, and their  Justice counterpart, Chief  Michael Aondoakaa,  had left for  Germany to see the president.
The Minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Dr. Aliyu Modibbo Umar, was also in Germany to see the president.

Mr President cannot be more timely on his arrival.

'He is coming back this evening to fight eratic power supply and food shortage bedevilling nigeria since he jetted out on the 14th'.

These guys make me sick the way they talk!
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by Kobojunkie: 11:06am On Apr 25, 2008
Eratic power supply problems that started today?? shocked food shortage problem that started a minuted ago shocked Are nigerians aware of these problems
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by Nobody: 12:08pm On Apr 25, 2008
tackle power crisis my yansh. na today?
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by landis(m): 4:35pm On Apr 25, 2008
Yaradun should rather spare Nigeria and tackle his problem;

Churg Strauss Syndrome -a rare disease that features inflammation of blood vessels (also referred to as angiitis) in the lungs, skin, nerves, and abdomen
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by bawomolo(m): 6:28pm On Apr 25, 2008
superman has come to save nigerians
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by Kobojunkie: 6:35pm On Apr 25, 2008
lmao!!!!
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by wendymanda: 5:39am On Apr 26, 2008
How does he plan on tackling the power problem, the way he tackled it before he left? The post makes it seem like the power problem is a bad case of herpes you treat it but out breaks keep coming back. It was no tackled before and if everytime he has a headache he will travel to Germany then we should just leave the power problem for the next president who will leave when he stubs his toe and on and on and on.
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by debosky(m): 5:53am On Apr 26, 2008
hasty judgment wendymanda - his committee on the power situation just submitted its report a few weeks ago - the process of tackling it has begun - a private sector driven SPV is being created which will manage and implement the short term target of achieving 6000MW by end of next year through completion of NIPP projects. It may not 'solve' the problem completely, but I think that is a step in the right direction. The way you guys are going on about this health thing, you'd think he leaves naija for treatment every month.

with the appropriation bill recently signed, things can FINALLY begin to happen, since we know as apostle 'rule of law' he won't spend a dime not properly allocated. I don't know what time frame I'd put on things beginning to happen, but I'd say we'll start seeing real progress in the next 6 months or be really worried about his ability to deliver. from the article he has based his performance on implementation of the budget - the ball is in his court now, lets see what happens.
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by wendymanda: 6:01am On Apr 26, 2008
Am not going to hold my breath because after Abacha's death everyone thought OBJ was the next Messiah. The fact that he left once is bad it enough. Am a strong believer of fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me ( fool me three times am a dumbass) and the Nigerian people have been fooled several times. I only started understanding politics and getting interested after the happiness of Abacha's death. So thus far I have been fooled once with OBJ and I will keep it that way, thus its shame on him. If Yar adumbass president improves (still not holding my breath) situation I will then be a believer if not then I won't be surprised. The government has been taking us for a ride.

Didn't they at one point all want to get the same types of car? Way to go.
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by kemofash20: 8:23am On Apr 26, 2008
tackle power problem ko tackle power problem nii
has he not been there for over a year y is it that now that he is sick he is just thinkig of tackling power. abeg he should go an sitdown. someone travelled for personal reasons they are still doing airport ceremonies to wellcome him. na wa o.
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by McKren(m): 12:50pm On Apr 26, 2008
debosky:

hasty judgment wendymanda - his committee on the power situation just submitted its report a few weeks ago - the process of tackling it has begun - a private sector driven SPV is being created which will manage and implement the short term target of achieving 6000MW by end of next year through completion of NIPP projects. It may not 'solve' the problem completely, but I think that is a step in the right direction. The way you guys are going on about this health thing, you'd think he leaves naija for treatment every month.

with the appropriation bill recently signed, things can FINALLY begin to happen, since we know as apostle 'rule of law' he won't spend a dime not properly allocated. I don't know what time frame I'd put on things beginning to happen, but I'd say we'll start seeing real progress in the next 6 months or be really worried about his ability to deliver. from the article he has based his performance on implementation of the budget - the ball is in his court now, lets see what happens.

I admire ur optimism, but do you really believe its ok to produce just a report in 12 months its amazing how u think it will take 6 months to implement a report that took 12 months to produce.
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by SkyBlue1: 2:07pm On Apr 26, 2008
Committee report? Is this for real? Is that really a valid arguement or excuse for lack of progress in a power sector that was meant to be in a state of emergency development? So this power problem just occured overnight and Nigerians have all been taken by surpise and bam, suddenly no light? How many reports have been written in the decades? So all those ones are null and void? People know what needs to be done to provide electricity and it is not rocket science. So how on earth is this so called committe report that has been one year in the making become an excuse for inaction? Can't we really apply that same excuse then to everything that is not working? We all know it will be trite, but we can say the federal roads like the lagos benin one that has been a death trap for how many years and has had billions of naira "spent" on it is still the way it is because they are also writing a committe report for that one too. If this was a sudden problem that might have caught the government by surprise then that excuse might have been viable but honestly please, come on, a committee report for a problem that is over 40 years old? What would this report say that the rest haven't? This seems like more and more excuses.
I assumed that when leaders experience the situation of the country first hand then they take the problems more seious. Apparently during one of Yaradua's speeches a couple of months ago, NEPA took light like 3 times and he promised that we will see the end of it. I thought since he had expericned it as opposed to the constant 24/7 light supply in Aso rock and government house Katsina, that he would take the problem more serious.
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by Kobojunkie: 6:28pm On Apr 26, 2008
McKren:

I admire your optimism, but do you really believe its ok to produce just a report in 12 months its amazing how u think it will take 6 months to implement a report that took 12 months to produce.

Good points!
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by Kobojunkie: 6:31pm On Apr 26, 2008
Sky Blue:

Committee report? Is this for real? Is that really a valid arguement or excuse for lack of progress in a power sector that was meant to be in a state of emergency development? So this power problem just occured overnight and Nigerians have all been taken by surpise and bam, suddenly no light? How many reports have been written in the decades? So all those ones are null and void? People know what needs to be done to provide electricity and it is not rocket science. So how on earth is this so called committe report that has been one year in the making become an excuse for inaction? Can't we really apply that same excuse then to everything that is not working? We all know it will be trite, but we can say the federal roads like the lagos benin one that has been a death trap for how many years and has had billions of naira "spent" on it is still the way it is because they are also writing a committe report for that one too. If this was a sudden problem that might have caught the government by surprise then that excuse might have been viable but honestly please, come on, a committee report for a problem that is over 40 years old? What would this report say that the rest haven't? This seems like more and more excuses.

I assumed that when leaders experience the situation of the country first hand then they take the problems more seious. Apparently during one of Yaradua's speeches a couple of months ago, NEPA took light like 3 times and he promised that we will see the end of it. I thought since he had expericned it as opposed to the constant 24/7 light supply in Aso rock and government house Katsina, that he would take the problem more serious.
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by azorjiu(m): 10:55pm On Apr 26, 2008
I'm not a prophet of doom, but I foresee the so-called committe report going to the bin as usual.
We've seen many of such committees come and go.
They always end up as a conduit for siphoning our public funds.

Nigerians have waited so long for results.
If Mr President has anything good to offer, let him give it now.
We are tired of leaders who complain about the shortness of time just because
the made the wrong use of it.
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by wendymanda: 10:58pm On Apr 26, 2008
Its not being a prophet of doom but rather deducting a conclusion from what has been proven countless time. There have been many other committee on the same thing with nothing to show so what makes this one different. MAybe the fact that the president goes to germany for allergy treatment will make it different.
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by Radiant(f): 2:57am On Apr 27, 2008
Rofl. . .I lost my patience with Nigeria years back. I hear the same sh!t everyday but yet see the same sh!t everyday. Yara wha??

Gimme a break, people!
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by Nobody: 3:31am On Apr 27, 2008
lets not deceive ourselves, the same power wahala made him take ill,.
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by jookco(m): 10:21am On Apr 27, 2008
I'm sick and tired of Nigerian politics, can some one explain to me Obasanjo should not be in awaiting trail now, I think we have many awaiting trial inmate in several Nigerian prisons, so aht about Obasanjo that has been accued of stealing more than Abacha with eveidence every day.
Re: Yar’adua Returns Today, To Tackle POWER Crisis by landis(m): 4:40pm On Apr 28, 2008
However, unconfirmed sources said the President’s health was far from being okay and that he was actually advised to move to the United States for better treatment because of his deteriorating condition.

However, pressure from home, particularly from the North, might have left the president with the option of returning home against expert advice.

The source had said that Yar’Adua was told in clear terms that the pressure of work in his office as president was too much for his health and he was consequently advised to “slow down,” which could mean his vacating office.

yet you guys are dreaming, yara-ill is going solve your power problem.

(1) (Reply)

Is The Supposed Governor Of Cross River State, Liyel Imoke On Leave? / And She Accepted! / Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.