Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,208 members, 7,818,705 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate (9386 Views)

Where Are The 56 Million Registered Voters Results? / Oby Ezekwesili Reacts To Okonjo-Iweala's Response To Charles Soludo's Article / 56 Million Nigerians Are Illiterate-Ezekwesili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Willgates(m): 6:47pm On May 22, 2013
Lolz...an illitrate person iz difined in Nigeria as sm1 who cant speak or write good english
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 6:47pm On May 22, 2013
malele:

Guy free me, i have posted up to 15 different topics none made front page till now
since I registered in 2008,, my thread only made the front page 2 weeks ago lipsrsealed
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by wirinet(m): 6:47pm On May 22, 2013
If 65 million nigerians are illiterate, then how many are half or semi illiterate? Because there are lots of bachelor's degree holders can can not write a complete sentence in English. There are also Master's and doctorate degree holders that cannot speak or write properly.

In what category would Patience fall under?
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by 5imeon(m): 6:50pm On May 22, 2013
b4 nko, abeg leave matter 4 matthias
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Ashmark(m): 7:03pm On May 22, 2013
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by mikolo80: 7:05pm On May 22, 2013
Afrocatalyst: I personally will nt believe her statistics. A lot of Nigerians misunderstand the word 'education', thus anyone who does nt fit into their definition of 'education' is an illiterate. For God's sake there are two types of education,formal and informal and anyone who has any of them is never an illiterate. What is the doctor who drives to work without a vulcanizer to pump his tyres wen flat? No form of education is useless,infact,for a nation such as our dear Naija,formal education has proven to be a neccessary evil we must live wit. If nt,how do u explain a graduate studying a course he's nt passionate about just because he needs the papers? No wonder most end up stealing frm the companies they work for. There's a thread on our dear nairaland dat speaks more on this. I dnt have the link bt u can google 'how the lives of Nigerian youths are being wasted through education by patrickkkk nairaland'.

I think madam Ezekwesili should knw wen to speak facts and wen to do politics. Imho.
YOU SEE NOW IF DEM TALK SAY YOU BE ILLITERATE NOW YOU GO DE VEX.EVEN D EDUCATION WEN YOU DE WRITE EPISTLE ABOUT SEF E BE LIKE SAY E PASS YOU BY.HUMBLY CHECK D MEANING OF ILLITERATE AND EDUCATED AND READ THE POST AGAIN AND SEE WHAT SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT.AND IF YOU CAN'T SPOT THE DIFFERENCE THEN I REST MY CASE
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 7:08pm On May 22, 2013
eGuerrilla:

An illiterate is an illiterate is an illiterate, get it?
Whether you are educated in the formal sector or the informal sector - as you put it - if you cannot read and write in a language, then you are not literate in it.

My educated comrade, please be advised that it is indeed possible for someone to speak a language with fluency and yet be considered a functional illiterate all the same.

we have tonnes of americans that can speak fluent english but cannot write nor read, does that make them litrate. Bloody woman
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by otumfour(m): 7:11pm On May 22, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin

damn! shocked thts twice the population of Ghana
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by akraym(m): 7:16pm On May 22, 2013
NA OVER SABI DEY WORRY HER
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 7:25pm On May 22, 2013
9jadelta: we have tonnes of americans that can speak fluent english but cannot write nor read, does that make them litrate. Bloody woman

Why draw on arguments she did not advance simply to convey idiocy?

14 Percent of U.S. Adults Can't Read

About 14 percent of U.S. adults won't be reading this article. Well, okay, most people won't read it, given all the words that are published these days to help us understand and navigate the increasingly complex world.

But about 1 in 7 can't read it. They're illiterate.

Statistics released by the U.S. Education Department this week show that some 32 million U.S. adults lack basic prose literacy skill. That means they can't read a newspaper or the instruction on a bottle of pills.

Source
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 22, 2013
10 million of that population lives in US and 1m in Venezuela
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by chris365(m): 7:53pm On May 22, 2013
some how i agree with her grin
even some graduates can't read and write.
during my NYSC, we were asked to write about our experience. and one guy walked up to me and asked me to spell satisfactory for him.
i was like *WDF* shocked
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by limantertsa: 7:59pm On May 22, 2013
I no follow
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 8:04pm On May 22, 2013
Only? I bet there are more ..
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by collynzo2(m): 8:10pm On May 22, 2013
chris365: some how i agree with her grin
even some graduates can't read and write.
during my NYSC, we were asked to write about our experience. and one guy walked up to me and asked me to spell satisfactory for him.
i was like *WDF* shocked
You should have asked him if 'somehow' is written as one word or two, and how to use punctuations too.

2 Likes

Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by ManOfThePeople(m): 8:24pm On May 22, 2013
not bad
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Yseone(m): 9:07pm On May 22, 2013
Which statistical tool did she employ? Chi-square or Regression? Be4 i comment
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by kennydee05(m): 9:10pm On May 22, 2013
Ɣε̲̣άн ⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥A̶̲̥̅♏ witnessing prove t̶̲̥̅̊ợ̇̇ .̸ƔõúR assertion in my PPA
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 9:13pm On May 22, 2013
Yseone: Which statistical tool did she employ? Chi-square or Regression? Be4 i comment
haahaaahaaaa.....nah, its venn diagram and RCBDesign two-way ANOVA she use....lolllllz
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by peleson: 9:14pm On May 22, 2013
Maxymilliano: Always easy to pull out figures but ma'am, what are you doing or what have you done and what are you going to do to improve the situation please?
This woman served under Obj for 8yrs even as a minister of education, no single federal university was built but within 2yrs Gej built 11 federal universities! What a difference... She and Obj should be ashamed n also should be held responsible
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 9:18pm On May 22, 2013
eh eehhn.... i talk am...una don forget oga at d top?
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Metallurgist: 9:20pm On May 22, 2013
Sunnycliff: The Statistics should be better broken down to the regions in Nigeria; and it would be thus, North 40 million illiterates, Southwest 5 million, South east 6 Million and the rest is South South! Its the North hat is bringing low Nigeria socio-economic and development indices! This is done without bias
sunnycliff why not say the north has 55,999,900 illitrates in the north, 15 in SW, 35 in SE and the rest SS without bias, u know sunnyclif "I RATHER KILL MY SELF THAN COMMIT SUICIDE" Mrs patience jothanthan sadly she is not from the north ur favourite blame dumping bag
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by successking: 9:28pm On May 22, 2013
Oby, how did you arrive at this figure? How many people have you offered scholarship to primary education level in your village? Or do you just enjoy making mockery of the present government because you are not part of it? You are beginning to lose the respect i have for you.
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 9:37pm On May 22, 2013
Dawdy: Are the literate employed?
Thats another serious issue.
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by SELFWORTH: 10:10pm On May 22, 2013
Not surprised.

A good majority pass through this forum on a daily basis grin
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by IYANGBALI: 10:14pm On May 22, 2013
It are truth,I yam one of them
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by mrperfect(m): 10:53pm On May 22, 2013
Well that isn't a big news, that counts about 35% of the country.
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Freiburger(m): 10:54pm On May 22, 2013
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by Nobody: 12:00am On May 23, 2013
Cyber_mugu: Some pipo just dey talk without even reasoning.. If everybody go school.
=> Who wan sell tomatoes 4 market?
=> who wan cum patch our bucket wey don tear?
=> who wan cum be sales girl?
=> who wan cum pack our dirty? Maybe na fashola and dat woman
well said mugu! Anyway you're one of 56million.can't really blame you.
But I've to inform your illiterate self that in countries with higher rate of education,tomato seller still abound.sales people are in abundance.waste removers are plenty.and all these are done without the attendant mess and unsightliness that is chracteristic of our markets and society.and yes they make good living from there.
Hope I've educated you a bit
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by IYANGBALI: 12:15am On May 23, 2013
Ulueme Frank: EZEKWE-SILLY
Gbam na real SILLY
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by onitshaigbo(m): 12:57am On May 23, 2013
eGuerrilla:
Not true.

Lol. Fine, if not English or pidgin, then their tribal language, or whatever language they use to send sms. They're fluent in that one.
Re: Ezekwesili - 56 Million Nigerians Illiterate by addicted268(f): 1:45am On May 23, 2013
Freiburger: 56 million? shocked That's enough to make a great Nation.
2 nations actually.madagascar(23million) and any other small nation!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Over 30 FEDECO Ballot Boxes Intercepted In Delta State / Federal Ministry Of Environment Reacts To Rosewood Exports Allegations / Face-off Between Oshiohmole And Ngige To Be Resolved Amicably, Says Lai Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.