Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,668 members, 7,955,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:00 AM

Nairaland Chicken Soup - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nairaland Chicken Soup (10522 Views)

VIDEO - Demon Possessed Man Bites Head Off Live Chicken In TB Joshua's Church!!! / Chicken With Four Legs: Evidence Of Juju? / Which Came First: The Chicken Or The Egg? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 1:48pm On Aug 03, 2013
PARABLE OF THE PENCIL

The Pencil Maker took the pencil aside, just before putting him into the box. "There are 5 things you need to know," he told the pencil, "Before I send you out into the world. Always remember them and never forget, and you will become the best pencil you can be."

One: You will be able to do many great things, but only if you allow yourself to be held in God's hand. And allow other human beings to access you for the many gifts you possess.

Two: You will experience a painful sharpening from time to time, by going through various problems in life, but you'll need it to become a stronger person.

Three: You will be able to correct any mistakes you might make.

Four: The most important part of you will always be what's on the inside.

And Five: On every surface you walk through, you must leave your mark. No matter what the situation, you must continue to do your duties.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 2:58pm On Aug 03, 2013
IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHOSE HANDS IT'S IN
Author - Paul Ciniraj Mohamed

A basketball in my hands is worth about $19.
A basketball in Michael Jordan's hands is worth about $33 million.
It depends on whose hands it's in...

A baseball in my hands is worth about $6.
A baseball in Mark McGuire's hands is worth $19 million.

A golf club is useless in my hands.
A golf club in Tiger Wood's hands is a 4 Major Golf Championships

A rod in my hands will keep away a wild animal.
A rod in Moses' hands will part the mighty sea.

A sling shot in my hands is a toy.
A slingshot in David's hands is a mighty weapon.

Two fish and five loaves in my hands is a couple of fish sandwiches.
Two fish and five loaves in Jesus' hands will feed thousands.
It depends on whose hands they're in...

Nails in my hands might produce a bird house.
Nails in Christ Jesus' hands will produce salvation for the entire world.
It depends on whose hands they're in...

As you see now it depends on whose hands it's in.
So put your concerns, worries, fears, hopes, dreams, families
and relationships in God's Hands.
Because, It depends on whose hands they're in.
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 4:11pm On Aug 04, 2013
THE EAGLE AND THE GRASSHOPPER
Author - Rev. John Brian

Once upon a time there was a grasshopper, who through diligent practice, became one of the best hoppers in the land. She loved hopping so much, she began teaching other grasshoppers how to hop. She was very disciplined and required they faithfully follow her commands. She told her students what to eat, when to eat and how to eat. During their practice sessions, she barked out orders telling them exactly what to do.

Soon, baby grasshoppers that had never hopped before were learning how to hop, adults that could barely hop were hopping much better, and even those who already were good hoppers could now hop much higher. The teacher felt very fulfilled.

Then one day a creature showed up that she had never seen before - an eagle. She was determined to teach the eagle how to hop, as she was certain that hopping was the path to fulfillment and enlightenment. But every time she approached the eagle, he just said, "There is no need." She kept trying, but the eagle insisted,

"There is no need." Finally, at a large gathering of all the grasshoppers,she pointed to the eagle and announced angrily,

"No matter what I say or do, this stupid eagle will never learn how to hop. He does not understand us."

The eagle looked at the grasshoppers and said,"You are content with hopping, but I can fly."

"Stop this foolish talk of flying!" screamed the teacher.

"Flying is just imagination and fantasy."

She turned to the grasshoppers and said,

"Any time such thoughts arise, immediately focus your energy back on your hopping - this is how you will become enlightened."

"You know nothing about flying!" said the eagle with a commanding voice that silenced the grasshopper.

The eagle turned to the grasshoppers. "I can show you a world far beyond your grass fields. If you listen to me, I will teach you all to fly."

The eagle waited for them to respond, but when he looked around, incredibly, all he saw were blank looks on the faces of the grasshoppers. He walked away, very sad.

Later that day, while soaring far above the tall grass of the fields, an insight emerged from deep within the eagle's innermost being. He realized that to communicate with the grasshoppers, he would have to speak the grasshopper's language - the language of hopping.

The next day, the eagle returned to the grasshoppers' world and began hopping with them. The grasshoppers were surprised. Not only could the eagle hop, but he could hop as well as any of them.

The teacher kept a wary eye on the eagle. She feared her grasshoppers would get swept away by the eagle's stories.

But the grasshoppers were curious and some of them began to sneak away to talk to the eagle.

"How is it that you know how to hop and yet you talk of flying? It goes against our teacher's orders."

"Hopping is useful, but when you can fly, it is no longer necessary."

"Tell us more," said the grasshoppers.

The eagle began describing the world beyond the grass fields, a world that included mountains, rivers and oceans. He sensed they were nervous but assured them was nothing to fear.

The grasshoppers asked, "What's it like to fly?"

"When you are flying, you are totally at peace. Sometimes, I feel like I am connected with everything and watch as everything happens automatically without any effort on my part. I am no longer an eagle flying, but I become flying itself."

Later that day, a solitary, brave grasshopper approached the eagle and asked, "Can you take me flying?"

The eagle nodded and gently took the grasshopper in his powerful talon. With a few beats of his wings they were aloft. Circling overhead, the grasshopper could see the mountains, rivers and ocean that the eagle had described, far beyond the familiar grass fields.

Careful not to go too high, the eagle soon returned the grasshopper to the ground. Hearing the commotion, the other grasshoppers rushed over to find out what had happened.

"He took me flying!" announced the brave grasshopper proudly, but then admitted, "I got dizzy. I didn't like it."

"But our teacher has told us that flying is just imagination." said another grasshopper.

"Bless your teacher and be grateful to her, for she has taught you to hop," said the eagle.

"But now you know the truth."

The eagle looked deep within the eyes of the brave grasshopper. Though she was still a bit dizzy, he saw a spark within her very being. He looked at the others and saw that the spark was already spreading to them. Soon, they would no longer be content with just hopping - they would all want to fly.

"My work here is done," announced the eagle abruptly. "Some day you will all learn to fly!"

"But if you leave, who will teach us?"

"Rest assured, as it has always been, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

With that, the eagle unveiled his powerful wings and soared off into the sky.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 7:41pm On Aug 05, 2013
ONE SOLITARY LIFE
Author - Unknown

"Here is a man who was born in an obscure village, the child of a peasant woman.
He grew up in another village, and that a despised one.
He worked in a carpenter shop for thirty years, and then for three years He was an itinerant preacher.

He never wrote a book.
He never held an office.
He never owned a home.
He never had a family.
He never went to college.
He never put His foot inside a really big city.

He never traveled, except in His infancy,
more than two hundred miles from the place where He was born.
He had no credentials but HIMSELF.
While still a young man, The tide of popular opinion turned against Him.

His friends ran away.
One of them betrayed Him.
He was turned over to His enemies.
He went through the mockery of a trial.
He was nailed upon a Cross between two thieves.

His executors gambled for the only piece of property He had on earth, His seamless robe.
When He was dead, He was taken down from the cross and laid in a borrowed grave through the courtesy of a friend.

Nineteen wide centuries have come and gone,
and today Jesus is the centerpiece of the human race, and the leader of all human progress.

I am well within the mark when I say that
all the armies that ever marched,
all the navies that were ever built,
all the parliaments that have ever sat, and
all the kings that have ever ruled put together
have not affected the life of man upon this earth like this one solitary personality.

All time dates from his birth, and it is impossible to understand or interpret the progress of human civilization in any nation on earth apart from his influence.

Slowly through the ages man is coming to realize that the greatest necessity in the world is not water, iron, gold, food and clothing, or even nitrate in the soil; but rather Christ enshrined in human hearts, thoughts and motives.

More poems have been written, more stories told,more pictures painted, and more songs sung about Christ than any other person in human history, because through such avenues as these the deepest appreciation of the human heart can be more adequately expressed."
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 11:48pm On Sep 28, 2013
THE BAND PLAYED ON

''The Musicians of the RMS Titanic all perished with the ship when it sank in 1912. They played music, intending to calm the passengers, for as long as they possibly could and all went down with the ship. All were recognized for their heroism.

Members of the Titanic orchestra
The ship's eight-member orchestra boarded at Southampton and travelled as second-class passengers. They were not on the payroll of the White Star Line, but were contracted to White Star by the Liverpool firm of C.W. & F.N. Black, who placed musicians on almost all British liners. Until the night of the sinking, the orchestra performed as two separate entities: a quintet led by violinist and official bandleader Wallace Hartley, that played at teatime, after-dinner concerts, and Sunday services, among other occasions; and the violin, cello and piano trio of Roger Bricoux, George Krins and Theodore Brailey, that played at the À La Carte Restaurant and the Café Parisien.[1]

.......Wallace Hartley, the ship's band leader (who like all the musicians on board, went down with the ship), was known to like the song and to wish to have it performed at his funeral. He was British and Methodist, and would have been familiar with both the "Horbury" and "Propior Deo" versions, but not with "Bethany". His father, a Methodist choirmaster, used the "Propior Deo" version at church for over thirty years. His family were certain he would have used the "Propior Deo" version,[26] and it is this tune's opening notes that appear on Hartley's memorial.[25][27]

However, a record slip for a 1913 Edison cylinder recording of "Nearer, My God, to Thee", featuring the "Bethany" version, states that "When the great steamship 'Titanic' sank in mid-ocean in April 1912, it was being played by the band and sung by the doomed passengers, even as the boat took her final plunge."[28] George Orrell, the bandmaster of the rescue ship, RMS Carpathia, who spoke with survivors, related: "The ship's band in any emergency is expected to play to calm the passengers. After the Titanic struck the iceberg the band began to play bright music, dance music, comic songs – anything that would prevent the passengers from becoming panic-stricken ... various awe-stricken passengers began to think of the death that faced them and asked the bandmaster to play hymns. The one which appealed to all was 'Nearer My God to Thee'."[29]''

source - wikipedia

''As the final plunge begins, the orchestra give a final performance of Nearer, My God, to Thee, to the tune of Bethany, even when the water is up to their feet and even when they about to be washed off the deck. In real life, there has been much speculation about what their last song was. First-class Canadian passenger Mrs. Vera Dick, and several other passengers, alleged that the final tune played was that of the hymn "Nearer, My God, to Thee"

source - wikia

Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 11:50pm On Sep 28, 2013
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by Nobody: 11:54pm On Sep 28, 2013
brainhack: PARABLE OF THE PENCIL

The Pencil Maker took the pencil aside, just before putting him into the box. "There are 5 things you need to know," he told the pencil, "Before I send you out into the world. Always remember them and never forget, and you will become the best pencil you can be."

One: You will be able to do many great things, but only if you allow yourself to be held in God's hand. And allow other human beings to access you for the many gifts you possess.

Two: You will experience a painful sharpening from time to time, by going through various problems in life, but you'll need it to become a stronger person.

Three: You will be able to correct any mistakes you might make.

Four: The most important part of you will always be what's on the inside.

And Five: On every surface you walk through, you must leave your mark. No matter what the situation, you must continue to do your duties.

part of me believes this.
like God gave us all duties to be filled prior to our birth.

but in another realm. We don't remember it while on earth.
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by Nobody: 11:58pm On Sep 28, 2013
brainhack: THE EAGLE AND THE GRASSHOPPER
Author - Rev. John Brian

[size=3pt]Once upon a time there was a grasshopper, who through diligent practice, became one of the best hoppers in the land. She loved hopping so much, she began teaching other grasshoppers how to hop. She was very disciplined and required they faithfully follow her commands. She told her students what to eat, when to eat and how to eat. During their practice sessions, she barked out orders telling them exactly what to do.

Soon, baby grasshoppers that had never hopped before were learning how to hop, adults that could barely hop were hopping much better, and even those who already were good hoppers could now hop much higher. The teacher felt very fulfilled.

Then one day a creature showed up that she had never seen before - an eagle. She was determined to teach the eagle how to hop, as she was certain that hopping was the path to fulfillment and enlightenment. But every time she approached the eagle, he just said, "There is no need." She kept trying, but the eagle insisted,

"There is no need." Finally, at a large gathering of all the grasshoppers,she pointed to the eagle and announced angrily,

"No matter what I say or do, this stupid eagle will never learn how to hop. He does not understand us."

The eagle looked at the grasshoppers and said,"You are content with hopping, but I can fly."

"Stop this foolish talk of flying!" screamed the teacher.

"Flying is just imagination and fantasy."

She turned to the grasshoppers and said,

"Any time such thoughts arise, immediately focus your energy back on your hopping - this is how you will become enlightened."

"You know nothing about flying!" said the eagle with a commanding voice that silenced the grasshopper.

The eagle turned to the grasshoppers. "I can show you a world far beyond your grass fields. If you listen to me, I will teach you all to fly."

The eagle waited for them to respond, but when he looked around, incredibly, all he saw were blank looks on the faces of the grasshoppers. He walked away, very sad.

Later that day, while soaring far above the tall grass of the fields, an insight emerged from deep within the eagle's innermost being. He realized that to communicate with the grasshoppers, he would have to speak the grasshopper's language - the language of hopping.

The next day, the eagle returned to the grasshoppers' world and began hopping with them. The grasshoppers were surprised. Not only could the eagle hop, but he could hop as well as any of them.

The teacher kept a wary eye on the eagle. She feared her grasshoppers would get swept away by the eagle's stories.

But the grasshoppers were curious and some of them began to sneak away to talk to the eagle.

"How is it that you know how to hop and yet you talk of flying? It goes against our teacher's orders."

"Hopping is useful, but when you can fly, it is no longer necessary."

"Tell us more," said the grasshoppers.

The eagle began describing the world beyond the grass fields, a world that included mountains, rivers and oceans. He sensed they were nervous but assured them was nothing to fear.

The grasshoppers asked, "What's it like to fly?"

"When you are flying, you are totally at peace. Sometimes, I feel like I am connected with everything and watch as everything happens automatically without any effort on my part. I am no longer an eagle flying, but I become flying itself."

Later that day, a solitary, brave grasshopper approached the eagle and asked, "Can you take me flying?"

The eagle nodded and gently took the grasshopper in his powerful talon. With a few beats of his wings they were aloft. Circling overhead, the grasshopper could see the mountains, rivers and ocean that the eagle had described, far beyond the familiar grass fields.

Careful not to go too high, the eagle soon returned the grasshopper to the ground. Hearing the commotion, the other grasshoppers rushed over to find out what had happened.

"He took me flying!" announced the brave grasshopper proudly, but then admitted, "I got dizzy. I didn't like it."

"But our teacher has told us that flying is just imagination." said another grasshopper.

"Bless your teacher and be grateful to her, for she has taught you to hop," said the eagle.

"But now you know the truth."

The eagle looked deep within the eyes of the brave grasshopper. Though she was still a bit dizzy, he saw a spark within her very being. He looked at the others and saw that the spark was already spreading to them. Soon, they would no longer be content with just hopping - they would all want to fly.

"My work here is done," announced the eagle abruptly. "Some day you will all learn to fly!"

"But if you leave, who will teach us?"

"Rest assured, as it has always been, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

With that, the eagle unveiled his powerful wings and soared off into the sky.[/size]

I LOVE THIS!! cheesy cheesy

i needed to read this! kiss kiss
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by Nobody: 12:05am On Sep 29, 2013
brainhack: THE WINDOW

[size=2pt]Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room. One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon to help drain the fluid from his lungs. His bed was next to the room's only window. The other man had to spend all his time flat on his back.

The men talked for hours on end. They spoke of their wives and families, their homes, their jobs, their involvement in the military service, where they had been on vacation. And every afternoon when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window.

The man in the other bed began to live for those one-hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and color of the world outside.

The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake. Ducks and swans played on the water while children sailed their model boats. Young lovers walked arm in arm amidst flowers of every color of the rainbow. Grand old trees graced the landscape, and a fine view of the city skyline could be seen in the distance.

As the man by the window described all this in exquisite detail, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine the picturesque scene. One warm afternoon the man by the window described a parade passing by. Although the other man couldn't hear the band he could see it in his mind's eye as the gentleman by the window portrayed it with descriptive words.

Days and weeks passed. One morning, the day nurse arrived to bring water for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the man by the window, who had died peacefully in his sleep. She was saddened and called the hospital attendants to take the body away.

As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other man asked if he could be moved next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone. Slowly, painfully, he propped himself up on one elbow to take his first look at the world outside.

Finally, he would have the joy of seeing it for himself. He strained slowly turned to look out the window beside the bed. It faced a blank wall.

The man asked the nurse what could have compelled his deceased roommate who had described such wonderful things outside this window. The nurse responded that the man was blind and could not even see the wall. She said, "Perhaps he just wanted to encourage you."[/size]

what a touching story.
it literally brought tears to my eyes. cry cry smiley smiley kiss
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by Nobody: 12:06am On Sep 29, 2013
brainhack:

*kails* has a beautiful mind smiley

smiley smiley

thanks bro. i appreciate that.
and i appreciate you!! smiley
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by Nobody: 12:07am On Sep 29, 2013
lol that story literally has me teary eyed grin
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 9:13am On Sep 29, 2013
*Kails*:

part of me believes this.
like God gave us all duties to be filled prior to our birth.

but in another realm. We don't remember it while on earth.

.....now that is so deep, i totally agree with you.
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 9:25am On Sep 29, 2013
*Kails*:

smiley smiley

thanks bro. i appreciate that.
and i appreciate you!! smiley

cool
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 9:26am On Sep 29, 2013
*Kails*:
lol that story literally has me teary eyed grin

lol...i shed tears while reading some of 'em.
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 1:00am On Jul 20, 2014
SonofIssachar:

I ran into a stranger as he passed by,
"Oh excuse me please" was my reply.

He said, "Please excuse me too;
I wasn't watching for you."

We were very polite, this stranger and I.
We went on our way and we said goodbye.

But at home a different story is told,
How we treat our loved ones, young and old.

Later that day, cooking the evening meal,
My son stood beside me very still.

When I turned, I nearly knocked him down.
"Move out of the way," I said with a frown.

He walked away, his little heart broken.
I didn't realize how harshly I'd spoken.

While I lay awake in bed,
God's still small voice came to me and said,

"While dealing with a stranger, common courtesy you use,
but the family you love, you seem to abuse.

Go and look on the kitchen floor,
You'll find some flowers there by the door.

Those are the flowers he brought for you.
He picked them himself: pink, yellow and blue.

He stood very quietly not to spoil the surprise,
you never saw the tears that filled his little eyes."

By this time, I felt very small,
And now my tears began to fall.

I quietly went and knelt by his bed;
"Wake up, little one, wake up," I said.

"Are these the flowers you picked for me?"
He smiled, "I found 'em, out by the tree.

I picked 'em because they're pretty like you.
I knew you'd like 'em, especially the blue."

I said, "Son, I'm very sorry for the way I acted today;
I shouldn't have yelled at you that way."
He said, "Oh, Mom, that's okay.
I love you anyway."

I said, "Son, I love you too,
and I do like the flowers, especially the blue."

Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 2:17am On Jul 27, 2014
belloahmad:

Sometimes our biggest weakness can become our biggest strength. Take, for example, the story of one 10-year-old boy who decided to study Judo despite the fact that he had lost his left arm in a devastating car accident.

The boy began lessons with an old Japanese Judo master. The boy was doing well, so he couldn’t understand why, after three months of training the master had taught him only one move.

“Sensei,” the boy finally said, “Shouldn’t I be learning more moves?”

“This is the only move you know, but this is the only move you’ll ever need to know.” – the sensei replied.

Not quite understanding, but believing in his teacher, the boy kept training.

Several months later, the sensei took the boy to his first tournament. Surprising himself, the boy easily won his first two matches. The third match proved to be more difficult, but after some time, his opponent became impatient and charged; the boy deftly used his one move to win the match. Still amazed by his success, the boy was now in the finals.

This time, his opponent was bigger, stronger, and more experienced. For a while, the boy appeared to be overmatched. Concerned that the boy might get hurt, the referee called a time-out. He was about to stop the match when the sensei intervened.

“No,” the sensei insisted, “Let him continue.”

Soon after the match resumed, his opponent made a critical mistake: he dropped his guard. Instantly, the boy used his move to pin him. The boy had won the match and the tournament. He was the champion.

On the way home, the boy and sensei reviewed every move in each and every match. Then the boy summoned the courage to ask what was really on his mind.

“Sensei, how did I win the tournament with only one move?”

“You won for two reasons,” the sensei answered. “First, you’ve almost mastered one of the most difficult throws in all of judo. And second, the only known defense for that move is for your opponent to grap your left arm.”

Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 4:46pm On Dec 14, 2014
FINISH IT-NEVER GIVE UP!
A True story

Derek Redmond was a world-class runner.

At the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, he was strongly favored to win.

When the gun signaled the beginning of the race, Derek exploded out of the blocks.

From the very moment he started sprinting, it seemed apparent he would win.

But he didn't.

In a painful and humiliating moment, Derek's hamstring snapped.

The pain was so intense, he collapsed on the track.

However, then and there Derek did the unexpected.

He got up.

He began to hop down the track.

As he hobbled along in sheer agony, a man pushed his way past the security guards and ran onto the track.

The man was Derek's father.

He put his arm around his son and told him he did not have to finish the race.

But Derek kept going, sobbing as he went.

He didn’t give up!

And so, Derek crossed the finish line…

The crowd of 65,000 people came to their feet and gave him a standing ovation.

It was the loudest ovation of the games.

In spite of the pain... in spite of the humiliation... in spite of the shattered Olympic dream.

Derek finished the race!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws8vIqkMh44

Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 10:42am On Jan 18, 2015
THE GARDENER AND GOD

There’s a story about a man who took a piece of land that was a rock pile and in two years, turned it into a fabulous garden. And people came from everywhere to see it.

One day, a man came by and saw the garden and thought it was fabulous, but he wanted to make sure the gardener did not take all the credit. He had this deep feeling inside that a lot of people leave God out.

So the man toured the garden to have the chance to meet the gardener. He eventually found the gardener, shook his hand and said, “Mr Gardener, the good Lord made this beautiful garden.”

The gardener immediately understood his message and his point. So he replied, “I think that’s true. If it’s not for the sunshine and the rain, and the miracle of the seeds and the soil and the seasons, there would be no garden at all.”

And he continued, “But you know, you should have seen this place a couple of years ago when God had it all by himself"
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 10:43am On Jan 18, 2015
brainhack:
THE GARDENER AND GOD

There’s a story about a man who took a piece of land that was a rock pile and in two years, turned it into a fabulous garden. And people came from everywhere to see it.

One day, a man came by and saw the garden and thought it was fabulous, but he wanted to make sure the gardener did not take all the credit. He had this deep feeling inside that a lot of people leave God out.

So the man toured the garden to have the chance to meet the gardener. He eventually found the gardener, shook his hand and said, “Mr Gardener, the good Lord made this beautiful garden.”

The gardener immediately understood his message and his point. So he replied, “I think that’s true. If it’s not for the sunshine and the rain, and the miracle of the seeds and the soil and the seasons, there would be no garden at all.”

And he continued, “But you know, you should have seen this place a couple of years ago when God had it all by himself"

Play your part smiley
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 9:29am On Jan 24, 2015
THE PONY IN THE DUNG HEAP

An excerpt from “How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life” by Peter Robinson:

Chapter One
The Pony In the Dung Heap When Life Buries You, Dig.
Journal Entry, June 2002:

Over lunch today I asked Ed Meese about one of Reagan’s favorite jokes. “The pony joke?” Meese replied. “Sure I remember it. If I heard him tell it once, I heard him tell it a thousand times.”

The joke concerns twin boys of five or six. Worried that the boys had developed extreme personalities — one was a total pessimist, the other a total optimist — their parents took them to a psychiatrist.

First the psychiatrist treated the pessimist. Trying to brighten his outlook, the psychiatrist took him to a room piled to the ceiling with brand-new toys. But instead of yelping with delight, the little boy burst into tears. “What’s the matter?” the psychiatrist asked, baffled. “Don’t you want to play with any of the toys?” “Yes,” the little boy bawled, “but if I did I’d only break them.”

Next the psychiatrist treated the optimist. Trying to dampen his out look, the psychiatrist took him to a room piled to the ceiling with horse manure. But instead of wrinkling his nose in disgust, the optimist emitted just the yelp of delight the psychiatrist had been hoping to hear from his brother, the pessimist.

Then he clambered to the top of the pile, dropped to his knees, and began gleefully digging out scoop after scoop with his bare hands. “What do you think you’re doing?” the psychiatrist asked, just as baffled by the optimist as he had been by the pessimist. “With all this manure,” the little boy replied, beaming, “there must be a pony in here somewhere!”

There must be a pony in here somewhere!

“Reagan told the joke so often,” Meese said, chuckling, “that it got to be kind of a joke with the rest of us. Whenever something would go wrong, somebody on the staff would be sure to say, “There must be a pony in here somewhere."
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 9:36am On Jan 24, 2015
brainhack:
THE PONY IN THE DUNG HEAP

An excerpt from “How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life” by Peter Robinson:

Chapter One
The Pony In the Dung Heap When Life Buries You, Dig.
Journal Entry, June 2002:

Over lunch today I asked Ed Meese about one of Reagan’s favorite jokes. “The pony joke?” Meese replied. “Sure I remember it. If I heard him tell it once, I heard him tell it a thousand times.”

The joke concerns twin boys of five or six. Worried that the boys had developed extreme personalities — one was a total pessimist, the other a total optimist — their parents took them to a psychiatrist.

First the psychiatrist treated the pessimist. Trying to brighten his outlook, the psychiatrist took him to a room piled to the ceiling with brand-new toys. But instead of yelping with delight, the little boy burst into tears. “What’s the matter?” the psychiatrist asked, baffled. “Don’t you want to play with any of the toys?” “Yes,” the little boy bawled, “but if I did I’d only break them.”

Next the psychiatrist treated the optimist. Trying to dampen his out look, the psychiatrist took him to a room piled to the ceiling with horse manure. But instead of wrinkling his nose in disgust, the optimist emitted just the yelp of delight the psychiatrist had been hoping to hear from his brother, the pessimist.

Then he clambered to the top of the pile, dropped to his knees, and began gleefully digging out scoop after scoop with his bare hands. “What do you think you’re doing?” the psychiatrist asked, just as baffled by the optimist as he had been by the pessimist. “With all this manure,” the little boy replied, beaming, “there must be a pony in here somewhere!”

There must be a pony in here somewhere!

“Reagan told the joke so often,” Meese said, chuckling, “that it got to be kind of a joke with the rest of us. Whenever something would go wrong, somebody on the staff would be sure to say, “There must be a pony in here somewhere."

A minute spent being unhappy is a minute you could have choosen to be happy smiley

“In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die and the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 11:35pm On Jan 29, 2015
MYA'S WISH

Dear God,
My name is Mya Hailey Garcia,
and I live here on Earth,
and as far as I've been told,
whatever I want,
I should ask you first.
I really don't know much about you,
only what I've heard grown up's say,
they say your something really magical,
and whenever I'm sad,
you'll make it go away.

"Well, if you can really hear me,
there's something I want to discuss,
but promise you won't tell my mommy,
just keep it, between the two of us,
I've been feeling a strange pain inside,
almost every single day,
it all started about a month ago,
when my Daddy went away.

They said that you took him far away,
to a very special place,
they said I shouldn't cry or worry,
cause someday,
I'll see my Daddy's handsome face,
I don't care what they say,
they don't know what's in my heart,
all I know is that my Daddy is gone,
and it's tearing me apart.

Okay, let me take a deep breathe,
and tell you what I want to say,
just be a little patient with me,
I'm just learning how to pray,
I want to make a deal with you,
and I hope that I 'm not misunderstood,

I want you to give my Daddy back to me,
and I promise, to always be good,
I know that sometimes I don't listen
and I can behave very bad,
but I promise to stop now,
if you let me see my Dad,
I miss him so very much,
I just don't know what to do,
I want to hug him,
kiss him,
play with him,
and wait for him after school,
what about when Christmas comes,
who will buy my toys?

What about when I get to high school,
who will keep me safe from bad boys?
If you can really hear me, can you help me?
cause I don't understand,
how can my Daddy be here with me one day,
and the next, his life is in your hands?
Who told you that you can have him?
Did you ever think of me?
Did you ever think of Mommy,
and how lonely, she would be?

I don't mean to yell at you,
or disrespect you, in any kind of way,
I'm just feeling very hurt and angry,
cause my Daddy's gone away!
What was that you said?
I think I hear you speak,

You say my Daddy is in a beautiful place,
where only good people meet,
You say that you'll watch over him,
as he watches over me.

You say you'll never leave him alone,
and by his side, you'll always be?
"Well", if that's the case,
I guess it will be alright,
that Daddy spends some time with you,
until we reunite.

Although it's still not clear to me,
the reason why he's gone,
I feel a little better now,
knowing that he is safe in your arms,
"ok", it's getting pretty late,
and I want to go to sleep,
but there's just one wish I want to make,
and I pray you grant it just for me,
I know that it's impossible,
you give me Daddy back, right now,
but could you make it summertime again,
when my Daddy was still around.

Amen.
Love Mya
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 1:19pm On Mar 29, 2015
I AM A CHRISTIAN
Author - Unknown

When I say that "I am a christian", I am not shouting that "I am clean living". I'm whispering "I was lost, but now i'm found and forgiven".

When I say "I am a Christian" i dont speak of this with pride. I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to my guide.

When I say "I am a Christian" I'm not trying to be strong. I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say "I am a Christian," I'm not bragging of success. I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean mess.

When i say "I am a Christian" I 'm not claiming to be perfect. My flaws are far too visible but God believes am worth it.

When I say "I am a Christian", I still feel the sting of pain. I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When i say "I am a Christian", i am not holier than thou. I'm just a simple sinner who recieved God's good grace.
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 1:14pm On Apr 05, 2015
AN INTENSE WORSHIP EXPERIENCE WITH COBHAMS ASUQUO- A TRUE PSALMIST OF OUR GENERATION Author - Felix Abrahams Obi

I woke up on Sunday, the 21st of June 2009- Fathers’ Day- with great expectation and knowing that in expecting too much from others or a situation, one is setting himself up for deep disappointments when they are not realized. I knew the risks but still left my home expectant. There was this deep longing to make it to this worship meeting from the first day my eyes caught a glimpse of the poster announcing the ‘’Intense Worship with Cobhams Asuquo’’ @ Transcorp Hilton Abuja to be hosted by the Throne Room Parish of RCCG.

Hundreds of us were crammed into Lagos Hall this Sunday morning and extra chairs were brought in to take up more spaces, and the foyer outside the hall took care of the overflow of human heads and hearts. Just before the service kicked off, I had reason to receive an important call outside the hall. Behold there was Cobhams exchanging banters with his band and team members. His acoustik guitarist friend and fellow musician, Gbolahan was kind enough to introduce me to Cobhams and we pumped each other’s hands in a warm handshake. ‘Thank you brother Felix’, he offered as I made my way back to the hall.

No sooner, he was ushered into the hall with his worship team and after humbly acknowledging the kind compliments and introduction by ‘Auntie Dayo’ of DOXA Digital (Abuja’s and one of Nigeria’s foremost Sound Engineering and Events Company) he set out for the business of worship. His band comprised of two female backup singers/vocalists, two acoustic guitarists, a bass guitarist, his violinist and drummer; and he sat behind the piano with the microphone adjusted to face his mouth. And two laptops for cueing in the songs in sequence completed his team!

He began with a charge; that he wouldn’t have us do anything mechanically in God’s presence like it’s often the case in some Christian gathering. He wanted us to be deliberate because he ‘’wanted heaven here’’ and at the end of the intense worship experience we had corporately, any sincere person would attest that we truly experienced the beautiful atmosphere of heaven in that crammed hall.

His 1st song and call to worship was ‘Holy Holy Holy, Lord God Almighty’, followed by ‘Make Our Hearts Your Dwelling Home’. The 3rd song titled ‘My Soul Thirsts for You” was written by him in 2005. He said it was a period when he thirsted desperately for God and a time when his spirit literally was patched like when one who has been marooned in a desert, hedged all around by sand dunes with no oasis in sight. Where there’s no water, the throat becomes famished and parched, and that was the feeling he had that period; He was in need of a touch from God!

At that time, a lot of things had gone awry in his life, and his car had this funny stench that made him upset. But as he prodded further, he realized that the sense of discontentment he was experiencing was because his soul was thirsty and longed for God desperately. So he wrote this song which should be the heart cry of every true worshipper. How else would you gauge the heart of the writer of a song whose lyrics are loaded with some heart-stirring words like?
“Like the grasses need the rain
Like the desert needs the rain
Like the suckling child needs the milk
Like a barren woman needs a child
Hear my prayer…
You’re my shelter, my helper
You hold my anchor
Let me hide in you forever
My soul thirsts for you...”

Hands were lifted. Souls were stirred. Hearts of many cried as his soulful voice resonated in worship to God with reckless abandon. As we transited to the 4th song, he told us how he loved the feeling of sound so much and that he used to put his head in between the two speakers of his deck while in secondary school to enjoy and feel the stereo/surround effect of the sounds from the speakers.

He had wanted to play his acoustic guitar as the 5th song was cued in, which was popularized by Anthony Evans and Women of Faith whose chorus celebrates Jesus as the Wonderful Rescuer of the souls of men. It was written at a time when he just couldn’t get by in life and had to learn to lay down his burdens at the foot of the cross. It’s about trading our ashes for God’s beauty. He likened God to the One who has a bucket of water at the sidelines of the football pitch of life whom we should run to when tired to have a cup of water to soothe our thirst.

But once we gulp the cup however, we just run off and forget that He still has a bucket-full of water waiting for us to come back now and again to refresh our souls. He urged us to recognize that we can’t achieve anything or labor to build a house without the help of God. And did he not tell us to not wrestle with God to save us from the dislocated hip experience and resultant limping gait that Jacob suffered for wrestling with God?

The 6th song was written by a friend of his titled ‘Jesus the Son of God, I believe in You” and he yet again regaled us with another true-life story. It was a period in his life when according him, he was ‘Poor, Broke and Homeless’’ and needed a breakthrough for he had no dime then and used to sleep on the bare floor of hundreds of studios across Lagos. Then he would day-dream about having a different kind of studio from the ones he worked and slept in which were very uncomfortable and mediocre. But he was poor and broke! He needed not just to sing or preach about faith but truly believe in God and live the life of faith.

He related how as a kid in the army barracks where he grew up, he was playing with a Muslim friend, Saidi , who had shouted “Jesus” when the latter fell off a tree. That incident made him reckon that we often grow up not realizing the power we have access to in the name of Jesus. It was the name of Jesus that the blind Bartimeaus called on that led to his receiving his sight and made him whole. As for him (Cobhams) he hinted that he was already whole and this was not saying it in a euphemical sense! He had achieved a lot by exercising faith in the name of Jesus.

While doing some recordings sometime ago in Paris (I guess Asa’s), he got a call from a friend in Lagos that the space for the dream studio he had always wanted to acquire was now available. Problem was that he had no dime to pay the landlord but somehow he believed God will sort him out. Upon his return to Nigeria, he learnt about a job to produce a commercial for a very big brand in Nigeria. Because the figure being offered was too big and beyond his financial experience, he felt he had already lost it even before executing it.

After receiving this fat cheque, he paid the landlord for his studio but “waited for him to say the cheque had bounced’’ which never happened. That was one experienced that took his faith to a notch higher and since then, he had exercised faith to do much more than he had ever done before. According to him, faith is like a habit that we develop. Like when a man slaps a woman once, it becomes easier to do it a second time till it becomes a bad habit.

Faith he said is developed same way as we exercise fear till it becomes as constant as a lunar cycle. He talked about his mom who had believed that her son, Cobhams though blind, was going to get the best of education even when she didn’t know how nor had the means. And in exercising her faith, she has become one of the happiest moms on earth today for her seemingly ‘blind son’ has become a blessing to millions all over the world!

This song was delivered with so much passion as Cobhams sang, “Jesus the son of God, I believe in you. In my darkest hour, you became my light. With your healing arms, you redeemed my sight. And Jesus the son of God, I believe in you…” He became ecstatic and swayed side to side when he came to his most favorite refrain when his voice bellowed; “I believe, yes Lord, I believe, you’re the son of God”. He called Jesus his Hebrew name, ‘Yeshua”; our Redeemer, Savior and Counselor!

The 7th song was about righteousness which he defines simply as doing right like obeying traffic laws, not being a litter box and being good and law abiding citizens. He affirmed that Nigerians are a blessed people. We’re all left in stitches when he joked that no English word can correctly translate the word blessing like the Yoruba word for blessing; ‘Ibukun’. To him you have to ‘ibu’ it till its ‘kun’… and the hall resonated with laughter as he tried to translate blessing from English to Yoruba.

He made us realise how seemingly ordinary things like a plate of beans and dodo or a cup of cold water can evoke extra-ordinary feelings of pleasure that he sometimes feels like crying. The song titled ‘The World of Ordinary People, living the way God wants it” eulogized the simple things of life that produce extraordinary things. Such ordinary things like a baby drooling on your lovely shirt. It’s about ordinary people like David, Job etc who did extraordinary things. Like an ordinary dream or decision (yes or no) we make today creating extraordinary things tomorrow. Just like every oak tree grows from a small mustard seed. He spoke about family life and that no ordinary father will come back home after 3am, after hanging out with guys.

The 8th song was accompanied by his violinist Ernest and he had written it when he lost a dear friend and had tried to console a mutual friend who seemed so inconsolable then. He had exhorted his friend to know that whatever happens, God is still good. But his friend retorted and cried, ‘But it is difficult…” to believe that God is good when things go bad. But this is a lesson Cobhams had come to learn over the years from his personal experience as one who’s been blind. He had tried to achieve a lot of things by sheer hard work and all, but he had come to a point where he said ‘I will worship God, regardless…” even when things don’t come through as expected.

He then took us through a medley of two popular songs of worship: ‘You’re all I Want’, and ‘This is the Air I breathe’ followed by ‘Glorious Deliverer” which had an acoustic feel and as he delivered this song, streaks of tears glistened his eyes and trekked out of the corners of his eyes. It was as though the tear sacs had become too engorged that they just had to burst and let go off the tears of worship from a heart that truly loves God passionately. His voice reverberated as he sang this song:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Almighty God, Ancient of Days…
Strong and Mighty God
Bright morning star, beautiful beyond compare
Perfect in all your ways
You’re worthy of my praise
I worship you Lord in the beauty of your holiness
In the splendor of your majesty
In the frailty of your son, your salvation for us was done
You’re God; you’re bigger than what they say you are,
You’re God, far more beautiful than they say you are,

At this point we had reached a crescendo in this intense worship experience and Cobhams began to speak passionately about God like a TV evangelist. Having grown up as a Catholic, he had learned to recite prayers like ‘Our Father’, ‘Hail Mary’ etc and it was easy thinking about other things while reciting these prayers. So when he stepped into a charged atmosphere where spirit-filled believers worshipped he felt detached and cut-off. As a skeptic He even felt embarrassed when people spoke in tongues or ‘fell’ under the anointing.

He talked about having a deep experience with God which Jesus offers anyone that invites Him into their hearts. To him, one might not be able to know all there is about God, but that doesn’t make the experience of God something that is far-fetched. His voice quaked as he announced it to our hearing that ‘God is real” and that ‘Life outside of Jesus Christ is not worth living at all”.

He became apologetic when he turned his attention to those who may doubt the veracity of his claims about God. They might see him as stupid, mentally-deranged or plain serious. He was of the view that it’s ok to be ‘cool’ and be ‘hip’ and not care about God. But he re-echoed Jesus’ warning that anyone who denies the Son of God before men, will receive same treatment by Jesus on the last day at the Judgment seat of God.
Gradually a number of people started making their way to answer the altar call, while Cobhams sang about ‘ a fountain that washes away our sins’, and another song that evokes the picture of Jesus standing by and knocking at the door of our heart, seeking to be let in, and that we should not let Him walk away. One of the host pastors joined Cobhams to urge people who want to give their lives to Christ to come to the altar, and many more did…
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 2:24pm On Apr 05, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCunuL58odQ

02:29 ...if His grace is an ocean, we're all sinking
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 9:02pm On Aug 13, 2015
GOD BLESS YOU
A True story

According to an Associated Press report from May 17, 2001, student-led prayer was going to be allowed at the graduation but a lawsuit was filed by the American Civil Liberties Union and the senior valedictorian, Natasha Appenheimer. On virtually the eve of graduation, they won a court injunction that banned any prayer at the event. It was the first time in the school’s 80 year history that a prayer would not be offered

They walked in tandem, each of the ninety-three students filing into the already crowded auditorium. With rich maroon gowns flowing and the traditional caps, they looked almost as grown up as they felt.

Dads swallowed hard behind broad smiles, and moms freely brushed away tears.

This class would not pray during the commencements; not by choice, but because of a recent court ruling prohibiting it. The principal and several students were careful to stay within the guidelines allowed by the ruling.

They gave inspirational and challenging speeches, but no one mentioned divine guidance and no one asked for blessings on the graduates or their families.

The speeches were nice, but they were routine; until the final speech received a standing ovation.

A solitary student walked proudly to the microphone. He stood still and silent for just a moment, and then he delivered his speech—-a resounding sneeze! The rest of the students rose immediately to their feet, and in unison they said, “God bless you.”

The audience exploded into applause. The graduating class found a unique way to invoke God’s blessing on their future—-with or without the court’s approval.
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 9:20pm On Aug 13, 2015
TWO BABIES IN A MANGER
Author - Unknown

In 1994, two Americans answered an invitation from the Russian Department of Education to teach morals and ethics (based on biblical principles) in the public schools. They were invited to teach at prisons, businesses, the fire and police departments and a large orphanage. About 100 boys and girls, who had been abandoned, abused, and left in the care of a government-run program were in the orphanage.

They relate the following story in their own words: It was nearing the holiday season, 1994, time for our orphans to hear, for the first time, the traditional story of Christmas.

We told them about Mary and Joseph arriving in Bethlehem. Finding no room in the inn, the couple went to a stable, where the baby Jesus was born and placed in a manger. Throughout the story, the children and orphanage staff sat in amazement as they listened. Some sat on the edges of their stools, trying to grasp every word.

Completing the story, we gave the children three small pieces of cardboard to make a crude manger. Each child was given a small paper square, cut from yellow napkins I had brought with me. No colored paper was available in the city. Following instructions, the children tore the paper and carefully laid strips in the manger for straw. Small squares of flannel [cut from a worn-out nightgown an American lady was throwing away as she left Russia], were used for the baby’s blanket.

A doll-like baby was cut from tan felt we had brought from the United States. The orphans were busy assembling their manger as I walked among them to see if they needed any help. All went well until I got to one table where little Misha sat. He looked to be about 6-years-old and had finished his project. As I looked at the little boy’s manger, was startled to see not one, but two babies in the manger. Quickly, I called for the translator to ask the lad why there were two babies in the manger.

Crossing his arms in front of him and looking at this completed manger scene, the child began to repeat the story very seriously. For such a young boy, who had only heard the Christmas story once, he related the happenings accurately — until he came to the part where Mary put the baby Jesus in the manger.

Then Misha started to ad-lib. He made up his own ending to the story as he said, “And when Mary laid the baby in the manger, Jesus looked at me and asked me if I had a place to stay.

I told him I have no mamma and I have no papa, so I don’t have any place to stay. Then Jesus told me I could stay with Him. But I told him I couldn’t, because I didn’t have a gift to give Him like everybody else did. But I wanted to stay with Jesus so much, so I thought about what I had that maybe I could use for a gift. I thought maybe if I kept Him warm, that would be a good gift. “So I asked Jesus, ‘If I keep you warm, will that be a good enough gift?’ And Jesus told me, ‘If you keep Me warm, that will be the best gift anybody ever gave Me.’

So I got into the manger, and then Jesus looked at me and He told me I could stay with Him — for always.”

As little Misha finished his story, his eyes brimmed full of tears that splashed down his little cheeks. Putting his hand over his face, his head dropped to the table and his shoulders shook as he sobbed and sobbed.

The little orphan had found someone who would never abandon nor abuse him, someone who would stay with him — for always!
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 8:19am On Aug 15, 2015
EVERY PRAISE
A True story

The incident was real, although the age of Willie Myrick in numerous reports varied from 9 to 11 years of age.

According to an April 18, 2014, article by the New York Daily News, an unknown man used cash to lure young Myrick close enough to grab and force the boy into his vehicle on the evening of March 31.

During his close to 3 hour ordeal, Myrick repeatedly sang “Every Praise,” a Gospel song by Hezekiah Walker.

The article said, “[the] tune sent the suspect into a cursing fit and he stopped the car near East Point.” The kidnapper opened the car door, released Myrick and warned him not to tell anyone. That was one order that Myrick refused to obey and he has been telling the world about the incident since his release.

When artist Hezekiah Walker got news of this, the artist flew from New York to meet with Myrick and his church family at the Mt. Carmel Baptist Church in southwest Atlanta to celebrate the boy’s 10th birthday. The article said that everybody present joined in the singing of “the life-saving song together as tears rolled down Myrick’s cheeks.”

Atlanta Police released an all points bulletin (BOLO) with a sketch of the suspect with the offer $10,000 reward for his capture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuuZMg6NVeA
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 9:52pm On Aug 15, 2015
SPARROW AT STARBUCK
Author - John Thomas Oaks
A True Story

It was chilly in Manhattan but warm inside the
Starbucks shop on 51st Street and Broadway, just a skip up from Time Square. For a musician, it’s the most lucrative Starbucks location in the world, I’m told, and consequently, the tips can be substantial if you play your tunes right.

I was playing keyboard and singing backup for my friend who also added rhythm with an arsenal of percussion instruments. During our emotional rendition of “If You Don’t Know Me by Now,” I noticed a lady sitting in one of the lounge chairs across from me. She was swaying to the beat and singing along.

After the tune was over, she approached me. “I apologize for singing along on that song. Did it bother you?” she asked.

"No", I replied. “We love it when the audience joins in. Would you like to sing up front on the next selection?”

To my delight, she accepted my invitation.

“You choose,” I said. “What are you in the mood to sing?"

“Well … do you know any hymns?

Hymns? This woman didn’t know who she was dealing with, I cut my teeth on hymns. Before I was even born, I was going to church. I gave our guest singer a knowing look
“Name one"

"Oh, I don’t know. There are so many good ones. You pick one.”

“Okay, I replied. “How about ‘His Eye is on the Sparrow’?”

My new friend was silent, her eyes averted. Then she fixed her eyes on mine again and said, “Yeah. Let’s do that one.”

She slowly nodded her head, put down her purse, straightened her jacket and faced the center of the shop. With my two-bar setup, she began to sing.

Why should I be discouraged?
Why should the shadows come?

The audience of coffee drinkers was transfixed.

I sing because I’m happy;
I sing because I’m free.
For His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me.

When the last note was sung, the applause crescendoed to a deafening roar. Embarrassed, the woman tried to shout over the din, “Oh, y’all go back to your coffee! I didn’t come in here to do a concert! I just came in here to get somethin’ to drink just like you!"

But the ovation continued. I embraced my new friend.

“You, my dear, have made my whole year! That was beautiful!"

“It’s funny that you picked that particular hymn,” she said.

“Why is that?”

She hesitated again, “that was my daughter’s
favorite song." She grabbed my hands. By this time, the applause has subsided and it was business as usual. “She was 16. She died of a brain tumor last week." I said the first thing that found its way through my silence.

"Are you going to be okay?”

she smiled through tear-filled eyes and squeezed my hands. “I’m gonna be okay. I’ve just got to keep trusting the Lord by singing his songs, and gonna be just fine."

She picked up her bag, gave me her card, and then she was gone.

Was it just a coincidence that we happened to be singing in that particular coffee shop on that particular November night?

Coincidence that this wonderful lady just happened to walk into that particular shop?

Coincidence that of all the hymns to choose from, I just happened to pick the very hymn that was the favorite of her daughter, who had died just the week before.

I refused to believe it, God has been arranging encounters in human history since the beginning of time, and it’s no stretch for me to imagine that he could reach into a coffee shop in midtown Manhattan and turn an ordinary gig into a revival.

It was a great reminder that if we keep trusting him and singing his songs, everything’s gonna be okay.
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 11:05am On Aug 30, 2015
ANGELS

Not all of the angels can fly,
And not all of them come from the sky.

Some of them aren't sent from above,
Some of the angels are those you love.

All of the angels have different faces,
All of the angels come from different places.

Some people spend their whole life searching for one, But if you look closer, you could be done.

When you look closer you will see, the angels in your life is your family.
Re: Nairaland Chicken Soup by brainhack(m): 11:17am On Aug 30, 2015
brainhack:
ANGELS

Not all of the angels can fly,
And not all of them come from the sky.

Some of them aren't sent from above,
Some of the angels are those you love.

All of the angels have different faces,
All of the angels come from different places.

Some people spend their whole life searching for one, But if you look closer, you could be done.

When you look closer you will see, the angels in your life is your family.

..my family has nothing to do with blood relation smiley

They are just people in my life who want me in theirs. kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Daddy Adeboye Is Innocent / 3 Lessons To Learn From Jesus And The Adulterous Woman / The Difference Between Being A Christian And A Born Again Christian.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 199
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.