Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,256 members, 7,815,393 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

Why Edo State Will Not Subsidize Pilgrimage – Oshiomhole - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Edo State Will Not Subsidize Pilgrimage – Oshiomhole (664 Views)

Fayose Dresses As Bishop In Jerusalem For The Christian Pilgrimage (Photos) / Sani Abacha's Grandchildren In Mecca For The Holy Pilgrimage / Fuel Vouchers: A Better Way To Subsidize Fuel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Edo State Will Not Subsidize Pilgrimage – Oshiomhole by GeJ79: 2:08pm On May 23, 2013
WHY EDO WILL NOT SUBSIDIZE PILGRIMAGE – OSHIOMHOLE

Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State says government would not use tax payers money to subsidize Pilgrimage.
Oshiomhole was speaking today when he granted audience to the Zonal Federal Commissioners and officials of the Nigerian Christian
Pilgrim Commission at Government House, Benin City.

According to the Governor “for those who want to travel for pilgrimage, we cannot discourage them. But what I am not ready to
do is to take tax payers money to subsidize someone who wishes to go and pray. I have issues with that because people who pay
taxes work so hard to pay”.

Oshiomhole noted “if you look at the totality of the challenges that we face, many are homeless; so many communities without
water, many schools we have rebuilt and still many more to be done; so many people are unemployed; many are hungry;
quite a number are in hospital who are not able to pay their bills. When you look at all these and several other problems, I am of
the conclusion that pilgrimage is not a priority”.

Oshiomhole said “I have a deeper insight into the challenges that confront the Nigerian nation and even Edo State and I have come
to the conclusion that pilgrimage is a luxury. Even from the point of view of the poor, a man who has no roof over his head cannot
be spiritually uplifted if he goes to Isreal and returns to a state of homeless”.

The governor declared “it happens to be an issue that I feel very strongly about when we subsidize pilgrimage. I would
rather subsidize production, subsidize education; subsidize health care because these are central to the survival of our
people. So this is an issue to which I have a very strong position”.

“The governor noted that government was not going to campaign for more people going on pilgrimage as this puts more
pressure on the exchange rate. In any case, only clean heart rather than pilgrimage is what will decide our place hereafter”.

Earlier, the Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Pilgrim Commission, Mr. John Okpara said they were in Edo State on a sensitization visit.
He said “I am here with the Federal Commissioners on a visit on the need for Government to partner with the Commission in
its transformation process. When I look at the legacies you are building, we need to create human beings that are morally
and spiritually transformed to be able to sustain the legacies”.

The Executive Secretary noted “your love for the people of Edo State is inspiring. Your drive and determination to develop the
State is encouraging. Your pursuance of justice and peace is something that the poor man hopes to live on.
Re: Why Edo State Will Not Subsidize Pilgrimage – Oshiomhole by Nobody: 2:53pm On May 23, 2013
Exactly my school of thought. Why Pilgrim to Arab countries to adore Arabic Gods of Jezuz and Mohammadu when we have olumba Olumba and Sat Guru Maharaji!

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Governors Failed To Conduct A Free And Fair Election For Just 36 Man / State Of Emergency: Trained Military Police Dogs Foil Boko Haram Infiltration / The Lies Of Western Media!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.