Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,189 members, 7,839,042 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released (25517 Views)

1.5 Million Candidates To Take JAMB, Cut-off Marks For 2016 Announced / UI And OAU Postgraduate Application For 2013/2014 Academic Session / JAMB Introduces Three Testing Methods For 2013 UTME (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by eaglechild: 9:35pm On Jun 10, 2013
ola_pluto:
Self delusion is not something that can be cured. Inferring from one thin source confirms a fickle mindset to me.
Which thick source do you need, JAMB, NECO or WAEC, cause they all say the same thing.

1 Like

Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by Ebubemg(m): 9:52pm On Jun 10, 2013
babyosisi:

The cut off for Yobe males last year was zero
They have improved this year grin
This is good news

E no go better for Lord Lugard lai lai
hahahahahahaha omo u funny o
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by eaglechild: 9:53pm On Jun 10, 2013
jajad:

Actually the Hon. Kontigi is quite right, and you, my dear are quite wrong.
You cannot infer that the average score of Anambra students is the highest.
If each state has 100 slots and only 45 people from Sokoto take the examination, the lowest scoring among them (let's say she scores 2), will always get in. And the other 44 may have an average score of 150! Of course this isn't a realistic scenario, but it shows how the number of people applying from a particular state can affect the cut off mark.

PS: This is how people fail in aptitude tests, and say people from their village are against them.
On the other hand if 1 million Anambra students sit for the exam and all score 130 and their cut off mark is 139 will any be admitted?
So my dear friend, for the cut off to be 139 it simply means that going by your assertion a large number of Anambra students scored above 139 vs the number of people from other states who scored above their cut off marks so as to get an even distribution.
In any case my village pple are the ones making the high scores.
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by jajad: 10:08pm On Jun 10, 2013
eaglechild:
On the other hand if 1 million Anambra students sit for the exam and all score 130 and their cut off mark is 139 will any be admitted?
So my dear friend, for the cut off to be 139 it simply means that going by your assertion a large number of Anambra students scored above 139 vs the number of people from other states who scored above their cut off marks so as to get an even distribution.
In any case my village pple are the ones making the high scores.

My, my, my.
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by macz91(m): 10:30pm On Jun 10, 2013
d poster was wrong wit dat list, ... Sokotoand zamfara were 01 each anambra was 139 for males and 137 for females ...and so many other mistakes. But d thing realy pained me wen i checked my nephews own and discover dat wit his 130 he still cant b admitted , its realy a cheat... I wonder wt our senators ar doin
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by valicious1(m): 10:31pm On Jun 10, 2013
shocked
Mr.Uzo:
Massob please let's fight against this: am from Imo state but have lived all my life in Lagos. So they mean if I write the exam and I put my state of Origin as imo, I must score the highest b4 being admitted. That's too bad for we Imolites..mi thought God created us equally how come the damn federal character is trying to make it look as if its not the same five sense organ we possess.
mazi uzor you still wan write common entrance shocked
Mr.Uzo:
Massob please let's fight against this: am from Imo state but have lived all my life in Lagos. So they mean if I write the exam and I put my state of Origin as imo, I must score the highest b4 being admitted. That's too bad for we Imolites..mi thought God created us equally how come the damn federal character is trying to make it look as if its not the same five sense organ we possess.
mazi uzor you still wan write common entrance
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by macz91(m): 10:46pm On Jun 10, 2013
this is y nigeria cudnt adopt d use of place of residence and abolish state of origin, this just remind me of wt chinua achebe said in book titled 'd problem wit nigeria'. Nigeria shudnt b 1 tribalism is much evn in gvnt, its painful, pls giv me a reason y lagos, kano, kaduna etc dat virtually have most of gvnt properties in nigeria wil hav alower cut off to anambra dat hav no single gvnt property inside it, its painful!
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by ROYALD(m): 10:47pm On Jun 10, 2013
why some states is high than
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by tpia5: 10:50pm On Jun 10, 2013
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by emmatok(m): 11:05pm On Jun 10, 2013
If not for quota system some people will never get education, because they don't want education.
This is why the people in the North are easily brainwashed by BOKO-HARAM.

The government needs to lower the standard to encourage them.

It's not new, every government do it.
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by Gamesmart: 12:33am On Jun 11, 2013
babyosisi:
[size=18pt]Bayelsa - Male(72) Female(72)[/size]
Benue - Male(111) Female(111)
Cross-Rivers - Male(97) Female(97)

The two greatest embarrassments are Bayelsa and Cross River states IMHO

So backward in performance by southern standards

Nobody is that shocked with the core north performance but these two SS states are a disgrace

What do you expect when you have illiterate, fat-belly and useless people like Patience Jonathan appointed as their permanent secretary of education?
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by Nobody: 1:42am On Jun 11, 2013
ola_pluto:
Self delusion is not something that can be cured. Inferring from one thin source confirms a fickle mindset to me.

Just leave me alone.
That list is self explanatory, of everything at all.
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by Nobody: 2:29am On Jun 11, 2013
Not exactly shocking stuff. Its been like this for long.
Its shocking to me that the North does not realize this policy is to their disadvantage ultimately. In ABU, for instance, northerners get admission with modest JAMB and SSCE scores while the southerners are judged with roughly the same standards as in southern universities.

Beyond the need to bemoan the north's backwardness, I think its in order to remind or inform, as the case may be, everyone here that in the late 80s, the cut off mark for Ogun State was 296. Now the highest cut off mark is not even up to 140. There's something wrong somewhere and the government has to look into this.

Middle class and rich Nigerians now almost exclusively send their kids to private schools with some of these schools as expensive as 3.5m per annum. These federal schools are still very important IMO. No nation succeeds without massively educating its people.
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by tpia5: 2:34am On Jun 11, 2013
I thought there was something weird about the cut off marks, couldnt put my finger on it.

But yes, the scores are much lower than they used to be.

Anyway, i dont think the unity schools are as prestigious as before either, someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by tpia5: 4:36am On Jun 11, 2013
Middle class and rich Nigerians now almost exclusively send their kids to private schools with some of these schools as expensive as 3.5m per annum. These federal schools are still very important IMO. No nation succeeds without massively educating its people.

massive education at secondary school level, is mostly the responsibility of the state governments, not federal.

the unity schools originally started off as elite schools catering to kids from priviledged backgrounds.

they were considered better than the regular public schools.

however, as with most govt parastatals in nigeria, that idea fast became a daydream, along with everything else in the country.

1 Like

Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by Yeske2(m): 4:43am On Jun 11, 2013
My take here is this, how do you teach a kid with 5marks and another with 130 in the same class? Would you move at the speed of 130 or lower the speed to 5 so as to move everybody along?
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by chocopearl(f): 7:26am On Jun 11, 2013
I'm nt surprised at d cut off mark for kebbi state, they beg them to accept education there. My aunt did her nysc programme in d state and she taught in their university sec sch, she told me dat once d students go on break they all head to their diff homes frm there and dat'll b d end of sch for d day.
IMO, d government shud make their educational system more fun mayb dat way they might ve interest.
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by craigj: 7:26am On Jun 11, 2013
adaobi123: Anambra got the highest grin smiley

I'm seeing cut off marks of 2 ?

Anambra has always bn the highest. Funny of enough, the females are always higher with a point or two. But it seems its now balanced.
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by craigj: 8:21am On Jun 11, 2013
Hon. Kontigi:
people just comment ignorantly. The cut-off marks are not set arbitrarily; rather, they are based on a number of factors including pass rate - this explains for example the difference between male and female figures for kebbi state. The Unity Schools cease to be such if students are not admitted from all the states of the federation in equal proportion.
The states with high cut-off marks just happen to have large numbers of applicants- nothing more; it's not because the the boys and girls from there are more brilliant than others.

Well, I disagree.. You find out places like Anambra and Abia, their males are trained from a very young age to start leaning how to do buzns or trained on some certain skills. Its not about the large number of applicants. Its bn like this for a very long time(the cut-off marks).
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by daroz(m): 9:46am On Jun 11, 2013
Na wa o. Nigeria has never been, and will never be one.
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by Kabikala(m): 9:52am On Jun 11, 2013
CFCfan: what's d total score?

Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by HAH: 1:17pm On Jun 11, 2013
One of the reason the cut off are low is because there is no more interest in public schools unity or not, as a matter of fact I can't remember any of my friends or family whose child still goes to public school.

Unity school are leaving on past glory .
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by tpia5: 3:12pm On Jun 11, 2013
seems the first batch of the schools were established in 1973, together with the NYSC programme. Not sure what the founding principles are, but i guess they'd be the same.

the students there were considered elites back then, and they also considered themselves better than the state schools. They were strictly boarding schools, day students were only permitted later.

i think they were intended to be on the same level as university staff schools, but being federally funded, that might have been a tall goal, given the nigerian situation.
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by tpia5: 3:14pm On Jun 11, 2013
HAH: One of the reason the cut off are low is because there is no more interest in public schools unity or not, as a matter of fact I can't remember any of my friends or family whose child still goes to public school.

most of the public schools are badly in need of funding and most parents who can afford it, send their kids to private schools.
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by Giftdavids(m): 6:56pm On Jun 11, 2013
jagabanban: When you see this, you stop wondering why mediocrity still exists in our Nation. The system encourages it!
on point...
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by Akainzo(m): 8:09pm On Jun 11, 2013
Is the policy any fairer or better than this one?

Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by manchy7531: 3:22am On Jun 12, 2013
babyosisi:

The states with higher cut off marks have higher performing students hence the attept at cutting down the number of slots available to them so others could get a chance
If this were purely on merit,Anambra,Imo,Enugu,[/b]Lagos,Ondo ,[b]Abia,Oyo and Ogun would take up most of the slots
That is the summary here

you want them to cry igbo domination again abi
Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by manchy7531: 3:34am On Jun 12, 2013
i thought the west said they go to school and have better schools than the east and also say that easterners are mainly traders, how come the eastern state seem to be doing better on the national average, that they have to use quota system to reduce our number of admission

oh!!!! i just remembered Achebe's "IGBO BURST OF ENERGY"(there was a country,) i seem to be here again.

Just imagine if there was no quota system and admission is on merit? it would have been complete domination by the igbos.

Igbo's una too much, no power can stop you guys.

1 Like

Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by drshrewd: 12:33pm On Jun 12, 2013
the morale of this news is that for a pupil from states like imo and Anambra to secure admission in the unity schools he/she need to score close to A1 shocked shocked shocked crybut pupil from states like yobe, Zamfara et tel you need a very mighty F10 grin grin grin. niaja I hail cool

1 Like

Re: Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released by idonchop: 5:43am On Jun 25, 2013
It means if a certain Emeka from Imo that was born and schooled in Yobe sat for the exam and score 136 (the highest in Yobe) he would not be admitted while Ahmadu with a score of 2 and Aminat with 3 marks, who both were taught by the same teachers with same curriculum as Emeka gain admission on merit.
Something is wrong with that system

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? / Whitemoney, Pere, Angel & Liquorose On DELSU Exam Question / Placard Of Protesting Sacked Kaduna Teachers: "Exam Not True Test Of Knowledge"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.