Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,124 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? (25223 Views)

Fayemi Celebrates Command Secondary School, A Project He Started 4 Years Ago / 'Deeper Life School'-A Miracle Centre For JAMB Examinations / What Is The Role Of A University Chancellor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by smpclippingpath(m): 10:26pm On Jun 11, 2018
In many countries of the world, a college is a secondary school and is very different than a university. In the United States, however, colleges and universities are quite similar. Often, both colleges and universities are referred to as schools. Generally, both colleges and universities in the United States are four-year institutions that offer a Bachelor of Arts degree or a Bachelor of Science degree. This is commonly known as an undergraduate or bachelors degree.

The main difference is that most universities also offer a higher level of study after you complete your bachelors degree - resulting in a masters degree or doctorate.

What confuses many international students is that Americans use the words school, college and university interchangeably in conversation. For example, someone may ask, Where do you go to school? In this case, they simply want to know what university you are attending.

Adding to the confusion, universities are often divided into sections that are referred to as colleges. The University of Idaho, for example, is organized into ten colleges, which include the College of Engineering, the College of Law and the College of Agriculture. No matter which of these colleges you attend, your degree will be issued by the University.

You will also hear the word college when people discuss two-year colleges. These colleges (also called community colleges or junior colleges) offer a degree called an associate degree. Many international students choose to get this type of degree and then transfer to a four-year college or university to study two more years to earn a bachelors degree.

You will want to pay close attention when you read or hear information about a school, college or university, but recognize that all the institutions share the same basic principle -- providing a challenging and exciting place to study and earn a degree!

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Benblaq(m): 6:19am On Jun 12, 2018
School is the general name for every formal educational centre.
College is the same thing as a university, though it is mostly used outside Nigeria, just the same way we call ours SECONDARY SCHOOL, They call theirs HIGH SCHOOL.

next!

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by punisha: 7:19am On Jun 12, 2018
Seriously in Nigeria the degree is almost good as useless. I read IR , but I work in a bank. Whilst those that didn't go to school are doing exceptionally well financially. I handle their accounts so I know this.
All fingers are not equal they say and yes I may be doing fine after 7years of giving my life to banking, but if I had known what I know now, I won't have bothered going to school o!
A man's gift / talents makes life easier... Help ur kids maximise their potentials early and they might just be d next Messi or Ronaldo or Dangote.

69 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:19am On Jun 12, 2018
Benblaq:
College is the same thing as a university, though it is mostly used outside Nigeria, just the same way we call ours SECONDARY SCHOOL, They call theirs HIGH SCHOOL.

next!
The first poster has said it ALL.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by lastempero: 7:20am On Jun 12, 2018
In there pronounciation and spelling grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Jaynom(m): 7:22am On Jun 12, 2018
Education is beyond the four walls of a school

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by obaival(m): 7:22am On Jun 12, 2018
A SCHOOL is where u go for schooling, A COLLEGE is where u go for colleging, while UNIVERSITY is where u go n be forming slay queen, carrying book in hand wearing anything to lectures in ARABANKO life grin

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by BlueRayDick: 7:22am On Jun 12, 2018
Whether u go college, university or school, At the end of the day, if u no know person for Naija or u no position urself well when u return to Naija no job for u.

Dem plenty wey we meet for KPMG test that year grin

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by TamunoRichard(m): 7:23am On Jun 12, 2018
I'm coming to comment

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by SamuelAnyawu(m): 7:23am On Jun 12, 2018
College no dey do post graduate studies grin

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Koyayikobeyiba: 7:25am On Jun 12, 2018
Universities are independent institutions that award their own degree certificates and must do a certain amount of research to maintain this standard. Colleges on the other hand are often attached to a university (though remain separate institutions) and because they do not have the same research facilities, often do not offer PhDs.

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Esiobu95(m): 7:28am On Jun 12, 2018
Very nice.. But what of High school

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by valgbo(m): 7:29am On Jun 12, 2018

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by slawomir: 7:31am On Jun 12, 2018
isoright

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by enemyofprogress: 7:33am On Jun 12, 2018
No difference, they are all school buildings

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by czarina(f): 7:35am On Jun 12, 2018
punisha:
Seriously in Nigeria the degree is almost good as useless. I read IR , but I work in a bank. Whilst those that didn't go to school are doing exceptionally well financially. I handle their accounts so I know this.
All fingers are not equal they say and yes I may be doing fine after 7years of giving my life to banking, but if I had known what I know now, I won't have bothered going to school o!
A man's gift / talents makes life easier... Help ur kids maximise their potentials early and they might just be d next Messi or Ronaldo or Dangote.
International Relations I presume? Did same and back then we all thought we'd be in one embassy working. Four years after, it's a different story entirely cheesy Handwork wins everytime. No regrets in getting that degree sha.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by vandertommy: 7:38am On Jun 12, 2018
school is primary school, college is secondary school and university is higher or senior school. taink you ;Dschool is primary school, college is secondary school and university is higher or senior school. taink you

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by dadada98: 7:43am On Jun 12, 2018
angry
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by perdollar(m): 7:47am On Jun 12, 2018
in school u find university. in university u find colleges. in colleges u find department. in department u find classrooms. in classrooms ryt at d back u find me.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by JuanDeDios: 7:53am On Jun 12, 2018
Benblaq:

next!
The first poster is right. He covers the topic rather well.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by BanjiRaymond(m): 7:55am On Jun 12, 2018
School is meant for the poor.... College is for the rich

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 12, 2018
Esiobu95:
Very nice.. But what of High school
High school in the USA is our secondary school here in Nigeria, the difference is that if you finish high school in the US you can get a job with it

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by cezarman(m): 8:08am On Jun 12, 2018
czarina:
International Relations I presume? Did same and back then we all thought we'd be in one embassy working. Four years after, it's a different story entirely cheesy Handwork wins everytime. No regrets in getting that degree sha.

My IR kpali is still in LASU since 2015. I always forget I've a kpali somewhere to collect sef.
It's useless to me right now and I don't know if it'll ever be useful... I doubt sha

After all the presentations and all the 'bank dressing'... Na that one pain me passsmiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Nobody: 8:13am On Jun 12, 2018
THE DIFFERENCE IS COMPOUND AND STUDENTS THEREIN

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Neoteny(m): 8:38am On Jun 12, 2018
A school is where you badly want to touch girl's breasts

A college is where you finally got to touch the breasts

A university is where you contract your first gonorrhea

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Catalyst4real: 8:38am On Jun 12, 2018
punisha:
Yeah! Hide in the bank and enjoy the A.C then come to nairaland and tell us how useless Nigerian degrees are.
You're not only biting the finger that fed you, but discouraging others from being fed

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by mikeapollo: 8:51am On Jun 12, 2018
Benblaq:

next!
A college is originally supposed to be a ''secondary'' school or ''A levels''
But the Americans decided to equate it to a university.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Benblaq(m): 8:53am On Jun 12, 2018
mikeapollo:

A college is originally supposed to be a ''secondary'' school or ''A levels''
But the Americans decided to equate it to a university.
Because that's how it is taken to be in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by chocorex(m): 9:14am On Jun 12, 2018
Koyayikobeyiba:
Universities are independent institutions that award their own degree certificates and must do a certain amount of research to maintain this standard. Colleges on the other hand are often attached to a university (though remain separate institutions) and because they do not have the same research facilities, often do not offer PhDs.

It's not collage of education Vs a university. Its collage Vs university. In the UK when someone says I am in collage they mean they are in university level. Collage of education is an associate degree

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by iswallker(m): 9:32am On Jun 12, 2018
Schools do things like debate. Colleges do sports, university is where they all meet...

kiss

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Disabled South African Lady Graduates After Being Discouraged By Lecturer / UNILAG Reinstates Olorunfemi Adeyeye, Rusticated Student Activist / "Teachers To Earn Higher Salaries Than Other Workers" - Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.