Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,399 members, 7,815,871 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

Poverty Rating: North Dragging Rest Of Nigeria Backwards – Aliyu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Poverty Rating: North Dragging Rest Of Nigeria Backwards – Aliyu (598 Views)

North Dragging Nigeria Backwards-gov Shettima / I Think D Lazy Northerners Should Be Blamed For Our Poverty Rating / NBC Denies Recent Poverty Rating Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poverty Rating: North Dragging Rest Of Nigeria Backwards – Aliyu by Euroclydon(m): 11:53am On May 24, 2013
Governor Mu’azu Babangida Aliyu of Niger State has stated that Nigeria’s poverty rating index would have been better if the north was moving in the same pace with the southern part of the country.
Aliyu, who made the remark in a statement when he received the country Director of World Bank – Francoise Marie Melly, yesterday, in his office in Minna, regretted that most of the poverty index were more prevalent in the north than in the south and observed that 63 percent poverty index in any country was very dangerous.
“If Southern Nigeria was to be on its own you would have described it as a medium income country and the north would have been described as low income country afflicted by conflict” Aliyu said.
The Country Director had disclosed that 63 percent of Nigerians were living in abject poverty.
However, Aliyu said, “I think the World Bank wants to be diplomatic not to scare us, if not the poverty rate in Nigeria should be 80 percent and not 63 percent. Even then with the 63 percent, we are already frightened.”
According to him, the country is frightened because, it is already confronted with myriad of challenges; and specifically cited a situation where a policeman would be shot at and his rifle collected to commit another heinous crime.
Aliyu reiterated his administration’s resolve to enter into any partnership capable of bringing development to the state just as he noted that most of the remarkable projects in the state were achieved through partnership.

http://news.naij.com/35102.html
Re: Poverty Rating: North Dragging Rest Of Nigeria Backwards – Aliyu by Maxymilliano(m): 11:57am On May 24, 2013
Euroclydon: Governor Mu’azu Babangida Aliyu of Niger State has stated that Nigeria’s poverty rating index would have been better if the north was moving in the same pace with the southern part of the country.

True talk from the Chief Servant ...

Nothing more to add.
Re: Poverty Rating: North Dragging Rest Of Nigeria Backwards – Aliyu by Nobody: 11:58am On May 24, 2013
Once I visited Zamfara state 3yrs ago, I noticed that the then administration had to include free cooked rice and chickens and even eggs during break time(s) in the primary schools, to serve as a motivational package for the children, instead even some elders were cautioning some of the children not to attend schools but should only go to schools during break time and collect food. I don't know why most of the almajiris take delight in petty trading(s) such as cutting of finger nails, water vendors (mai ruwas), shoes shiners, cooked egg sellers etc. They forgot that at a point in time in their lives, their strength will start failing them, hence they will resort to beg for alms to survive. The thing tire me sef.

I just don't know why they detest western culture this much at their own detriment.

1 Like

Re: Poverty Rating: North Dragging Rest Of Nigeria Backwards – Aliyu by qualified(f): 2:42pm On May 24, 2013
Truth!
The only time i have ever seen a Northern leader say d truth, say things d way they are, without sentiment

(1) (Reply)

Will Amechi Survive Diz Weathering Storm ? / Nigeria Grounds Kenyan Aircraft In Lagos / Warped Fallacies On Abia State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.