Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,952 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? (10668 Views)

Security Agencies Flogging Nigerians In Traffic: Legally Right Or Wrong? / Are Modern Nigerian Girl's Bad And Proud Of It? / Gen. Muhammadu Buhari: The Paramount Enemy Of Democracy In Modern Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by MajeOfficial: 11:19pm On May 24, 2013
There are those who's cultural habits and norms are hard to change and either won't or take a great deal of time and effort. As the common Nigerian is now more exposed to the way things are done in other societies I'm curious as to how many of you still feel flogging is still an appropriate way to discipline children?

I have been hearing more and more Nigerians say they're against it, what's your opinion?
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Bobandgreat: 4:17am On May 25, 2013
I don't know about flogging but it sure beats cutting of hands and legs as practiced by some people in the world.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 4:36am On May 25, 2013
Spanking is a Nigerian culture and I'm not sure you can take that away from them irrespective of their level of education.I don't believe in granting children absolute right to be wayward and useless to the society.

Maybe the Adebolajos won't have become terrorists if their parents had spanked that spirit of terror from their blood with a koboko while growing up.Well,Koboko is actually used to reset children to their default settings. grin

26 Likes

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by MajeOfficial: 5:25am On May 25, 2013
LOL

but the opposite has seem to be true. Spanking a child teaches a child that if he wants to impose his will on another person (get that person to do what they want or correct that persons behavior), that violence is a way to do it.

Studies have shown that kids that are beat are more likely to beat others and get into physical altercations. If you look at Nigeria, people fight in the open street. People are so ready to fight that any minor argument turns into slaps and punches or shirt grabbing.

I've noticed that my friends that weren't beat growing up, even when they're angry, will seldom hit another person. Some of them have got mad at a person and stupidly hit a wall with their fist. I used to think it was crazy but I've come to realize it's because the idea of hitting a person to them is very outrageous. To us it's normal. If words don't work, you hit. Sometimes you hit before using words. You have to wonder if this is why Nigerians that lose elections start inflicting pain and damage on others. We've been thought that violence is an alternative to dialogue and intelligence in commanding respect.

Nigerians have been beating their kids since Adam, but Nigeria is rife with violence crime, deviance and moral decay at levels that are hard to top anywhere else in the world, so I've began to think maybe we're the ones that have it wrong.

As a child i was scolded like any other Nigeria. It wasn't till now, in my mid twenties, that I realized how violent of a person i was. I had gotten into more fights than most of my friends, and I've hit more people than most of my friend, whom their parents didn't spank or scold. I'm not a bad guy, I have no criminal record, and im very disciplined, but i found myself getting physically quickly and now i realize it was an insane way of thinking and encourages stupidity and an inability to solve a problem or have true discipline (not act on instinct when tested.

I think i will hit my sons moderately so that they aren't soft and can defend themselves if need be, but i never want to create a situation where they're afraid of me or anyone. I won't hit my daughters at all so that if a man hits them they don't think it's 'a normal thing'. Men beating their wives comes from men being beat as boys, they learn that it's 'how you exert authority'. A real man shouldn't have to lift a finger for his wife to listen or respect him and fear/pain isn't respect

17 Likes

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 6:45am On May 25, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Spanking is a Nigerian culture and I'm not sure you can take that away from them irrespective of their level of education.I don't believe in granting children absolute right to be wayward and useless to the society.

Maybe the Adebolajos won't have become terrorists if their parents had spanked that spirit of terror from their blood with a koboko while growing up.Well,Koboko is actually used to reset children to their default settings. grin

Or maybe the excessive beatings Nigerians heartlessly mete out to their own blood and flesh is what developed into the anger that finally ended up with them snapping?

3 Likes

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 6:48am On May 25, 2013
[quote author=]LOL

I think i will hit my sons moderately so that they aren't soft and can defend themselves if need be, but i never want to create a situation where they're afraid of me or anyone.[/quote]

Hitting your sons will not teach them self-defense: it'll only teach them the same aggression which you are trying to curb as a grown man.

There are other ways to discipline your kids than assaulting them.

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 6:48am On May 25, 2013
[quote author=] LOL

I think i will hit my sons moderately so that they aren't soft and can defend themselves if need be, but i never want to create a situation where they're afraid of me or anyone.[/quote]

Hitting your sons will not teach them self-defense: it'll only teach them the same aggression which you are trying to curb as a grown man.

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 6:49am On May 25, 2013
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 6:49am On May 25, 2013
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by UyiIredia(m): 6:57am On May 25, 2013
~Bluetooth:

And despite the wide spread use of koboko has vices stopped ? No, it hasn't. Your statement is senseless to me when I consider how flogging (or the prospect of it) didn't deter me from doing what I had in mind.

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by UyiIredia(m): 7:05am On May 25, 2013
I think flogging is outdated. There are other methods of discipline e.g grounding, scolding, withholding of privileges like games etc. I think flogging will gradually recede with the younger generations.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Akshow: 7:40am On May 25, 2013
Uyi Iredia: I think flogging is outdated. There are other methods of discipline e.g grounding, scolding, withholding of privileges like games etc. I think flogging will gradually recede with the younger generations.
bone that thing. Forget that thing Abeg. Who you wan ground for naija? No be parent wey give pikin privilege de ground them? In case you forget, many Nigerians are leaving below poverty line so floggin and beatin of pikin no fit stop. I'm in full support of beating. My mama beat me no be small but always wit love and care. Even you yourself will know What you are punished for is justified. After the beating, my papa go draw you close tell you not to do am again. That kind beg de Make sense cos na den your head go de swell de cry but the lesson is learnt. You wan use only mouth warn four five year old pikin? Children wey be say Wetin you say Make them no do at that age Na im them go do. I say ay to reasonable beating wit love. I no ready to spare d rod come yama yama my pikin life

11 Likes

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by asala1: 8:03am On May 25, 2013
KOBOKO

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by BlackBaron: 8:16am On May 25, 2013
^^^
No wonder you're all animals.

Horse whip on humans. Smh

4 Likes

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by joeyfire(m): 8:34am On May 25, 2013
~Bluetooth:

I agree with this 100%. My grandad was flogged when he messed up, so was my dad and I in turn. Oyibo kids are generally badly behaved and out of control because their parents have lost control. Why? Because they don't beat their butts.

Almajiri boys are lawless because no parental discipline. Adebolajo too I'm sure wasn't whipped that's why he could degenerate from nice boy to phone thief to running to a fanatical islamist preacher by 18. For naija his dad and uncles for don beat sense back into his head

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 8:35am On May 25, 2013
The type of corporal punishment depicted below is a vestige of our colonial past and does little to advance the interest of a healthy society.

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Elgaxton(m): 9:43am On May 25, 2013
kingoflag:

Flogging your child is not assault.

proverbs 13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

2 Likes

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Iaz93: 9:44am On May 25, 2013
Speak sense into the Child's head. If the child bleeps up again on the same ish, flog the child. But flog with sense. Just like YELLOW CARD and RED CARD in football.

2 Likes

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Elgaxton(m): 9:47am On May 25, 2013
Akshow: bone that thing. Forget that thing Abeg. Who you wan ground for naija? No be parent wey give pikin privilege de ground them? In case you forget, many Nigerians are leaving below poverty line so floggin and beatin of pikin no fit stop. I'm in full support of beating. My mama beat me no be small but always wit love and care. Even you yourself will know What you are punished for is justified. After the beating, my papa go draw you close tell you not to do am again. That kind beg de Make sense cos na den your head go de swell de cry but the lesson is learnt. You wan use only mouth warn four five year old pikin? Children wey be say Wetin you say Make them no do at that age Na im them go do. I say ay to reasonable beating wit love. I no ready to spare d rod come yama yama my pikin life

Well said! (y)

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 9:48am On May 25, 2013
Wen u leave them they go haywire like Micheal adebolajo...but koboko will ammend their errors... grin
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 9:48am On May 25, 2013
I'm a proponent. The life of licence in the west has brought them more grief than relief. A good number of the moral problems we face in our society today are more of imports from them. I see the way kids behave (even undergraduates) nowadays and I just wonder what has gone wrong with the world.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by basisop(m): 9:48am On May 25, 2013
The fear of flogging is the beginning of wisdom.

I remember our neighbour then that always tell my parents not to flog us but talk to us; and we prayed for my parents to comply because it will be an easy way out when you misbehave.

We that were flogged to read, to do domestic work, when we err turned out to be better than our neighbour's sons that embraced smoking of weed, couldn't pass waec and jamb and today they have nothing good doing.

If I wasn't cained I would have been useless considering the environment where I was bred.

1 Like

"Spare the rod and spoil the child" -bible say so. Most of our parents they were brought up in the way of the "koboko" and it instilled lifelong discipline in them. Due to the dying trend of "kobokorisation" most youths and children of nowadays especially "ajebota pikins" don spoil troway. SMH in 3D. Truth be told, koboko restore children to their default settings but too much of it is bad and it should be used as a last resort when counseling or advising the child isn't working.

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 9:49am On May 25, 2013
[size=13pt]I hate the act of flogging. My dad flogged us when we were younger and I always found it stupid and heartless. It was very saddening and I believed my father didn't love my siblings and I. Sometimes I think back now that I'm adult, and I see no reason for any of it. I can't attribute any good thing that I am to flogging.

I've already vowed not to flog or spank my children. I don't want them to reflect in adulthood and have moments of disdain or disappointment for me the way I have for my dad sometimes.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by basisop(m): 9:51am On May 25, 2013
eGuerrilla: The type of corporal punishment depicted below is a vestige of our colonial past and does little to advance the interest of a healthy society.

This type takes away nothing and add nothing to students but pain and loss of self confidence.
Some teachers just transfer their frustration to the students. If I catch any teacher wey go flog my pikin! D teacher don die.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Reference(m): 9:51am On May 25, 2013
Flogging is simply a last ditch attempt to rectify parental failings by which ever party is involved. Like imprisonment or capital punishment we acknowledge its necessity but frequently ignore its cause. Good parents flog their children, excellent parents don't. They don't need to.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by lindiwey: 9:59am On May 25, 2013
I tried d scolding method and talkn to my 2yrs old son weneva he does wrong.d tin no work oo I just dey waste my saliva Instead he will b laughing n tinks am joking.I started d spanking method on his butts and its bn working wella,most times I just threaten him wit a cain(ruler) witout beating him.imediatly he sees d ruler,d guy go take dressing sharp sharp sayn mummy sorry.wen he's sayn sorry I now talk to him n corect him.but some parents over do it by using dangerous objects to beat their child thereby inflictn wound on dem.I tink d grounding method will work for older kids.just study ur child n knw d one dat works for u then apply it

2 Likes

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by fitzmayowa: 10:00am On May 25, 2013
Following

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by donwilz(m): 10:01am On May 25, 2013
eGuerrilla: The type of corporal punishment depicted below is a vestige of our colonial past and does little to advance the interest of a healthy society.

Please, tell that to an ignorant person. Flogging has been part of our culture way before the colonial period. Generally, in my own experience, Nigerian kids are better behaved and respectful than their oyibo counterparts . When you beat a child moderately(not kill) and equally show some love after the beating, the child learns. My parents beat me and my other siblings, today, we are all non violent and responsible. Same to the other peers of mine.

3 Likes

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 10:03am On May 25, 2013
obowunmi: On top all the flogging done in Nigeria, poverty, joblessness, armed robbery, uselessness prevails. What a shame. Pls keep flogging.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Magdalee(f): 10:13am On May 25, 2013
When i was growing up my father flogged me to the extent that i thought he hated me. I couldnt dare to look him in the eye for fear that i would be flogged. Even when i was sexually abused by a family friend i couldnt tell him for fear of being flogged. Something happened however one day when he raised his hands to hit me i held his hands and dared him to touch me. I had grown to be stubborn and to hate men. Today i'm 26 but no successful relationship. I therefore think that there are other ways to discipline a child. We are humans not animals
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 10:13am On May 25, 2013
It's only appropriate wen its the parent doing it grin tear that azz up

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oil Workers Are Not Going On Strike Nation-Wide - NUPENG President / What Is/are Your Favorite(s) Section(s) On Nairaland? / 3 Zimbabwean Ladies Arrested For Desecrating 124 Men In 11 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.