Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,433 members, 7,819,559 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Guatemala's Ex-president Extradited To US For Embezzlement - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Guatemala's Ex-president Extradited To US For Embezzlement (547 Views)

Eight Dead, Guatemala Jail Riot / Guatemala’s President Resign Amid Corruption Allegations / Breaking NEWS: Honeymoon Murder Suspect To Be Extradited To South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Guatemala's Ex-president Extradited To US For Embezzlement by tzetzefly(m): 6:34am On May 25, 2013
Alfonso Portillo who was president from 2000 to 2004, had been fighting extradition since it was approved by then president Alvaro Colom in 2011.

Portillo was indicted by a US grand jury on charges of embezzling tens of millions of dollars of public funds and laundering the money through US and European banks, including $1.5m intended for Guatemalan school children.

Guatemala has extradited ex-president Alfonso Portillo to the United States to face charges of laundering $70m.

Alfonso Portillo describes extradition to the US, where he will face money-laundering charges, as a "kidnapping".

https://.nytimes.com/2013/05/25/world/americas/ex-president-portillo-of-guatemala-is-extradited-to-us.html

Re: Guatemala's Ex-president Extradited To US For Embezzlement by Nobody: 6:44am On May 25, 2013
Good move. He can now enjoy his loot in peace. Lawyers don see where to chop from for now. How I wish say na me be his lawyer,I for mek cool cash wey I go use mek my woman dey joli joli for atleast 40years.I don miss this one chai

(1) (Reply)

Croatia Becomes Eu’s 28th Member / Nigerian Soldier Dies After Getting Citizenship In UK? RIP Ihemere / French Politician Suspended For Calling Nation’s 1st Black Minister ‘monkey’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.