Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,371 members, 7,822,745 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway (19928 Views)

Ambode Declares Second Lekki-epe Expressway Toll-free / Which Is Higher In Nigeria - Birth Rate Or Death Rate? / Massive DEATH RATE Of Yesterday 2go Users... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by cynthrob(f): 7:02am On May 28, 2013
Its so sad the level at which people die while crossing the now expanded Lekki Expressway! Just yesterday I was driving along d road only to see a fully grown guy struggling for survival after been knocked down by a car on top speed. There are for things that is so heartbreaking concerning this issue.

Firstly, I don't understand why on earth d street lights do not come on all the time at night, n we pay toll fee every time we pass through the toll gate. I asked a friend who works with LCC and he said it is because they can't run their Generator all the time. The street light is guaranteed when there is light from phcn.
So why are we paying toll fee Sometimes I don't see people crossing the road at night it is when am already very close to them I see.

Secondly, I don't know why we humans take peoples live for granted, when approaching major bus stops like Agungi, Igboefon and so on why don't you slow down when you drive?

Even when they see people crossing the road, they maintain the top speed at which they were driving not caring if they smash the person or not. A lot of people miscalculate how fast a car can move and before you say jack, the car far away before is already close to them.

Then thirdly, I also want to blame the pedestrians, how can you be strolling, making shakara esp guys when crossing such an expressway?
Sometimes just a second separates the guy crossing from the moving car. What if you stumble a bit or miss your step somehow, then you get knocked down.

Most of the accident victims are guys, they are never patient to wait for the road to be clear before jumping in it. A lady can spend up to 10min making sure its safe.

The most painful of all is when this accident occur people leave the victim to struggle and die on his own, instead of calling the toll free LCC emergency number, they gather the victim, taking picture of him and holding their head.

There is a number to call which is toll free (no charge on your phone).

Please when next you see such a scene do call 08002255522. I called themand they responded.

The media should create this awareness and everyone should be alert!!!

63 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Nobody: 7:25am On May 28, 2013
Kudos!
I drive that road virtually every day to lekki estate.
One other thing that baffles me is that some people choose to cross the express way instead of using the pedestrian bridge.

12 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Chynx(m): 8:07am On May 28, 2013
This is very correct...but how close are the intervals between pedestrian bridges?
For instance, I was at Agungi yesterday to recharge my PHCN card; and you know PHCN has two offices directly opposite each other on both sides of the expressway. I was directed to the other and had no choice but to cross the road without making use of the pedestrian bridge cos it was almost a mile away..under the blazing sun.

2 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Labelle(f): 9:45pm On Aug 28, 2013
Sadly another woman lost her life yesterday.

2 other hausa guys also got hit and died a few months ago.

FYI there are at least 2 lives lost on the axis each day, mostly men.

Many thanks Cynthia for this post.

This is my second time reading it, each time i witness those lifeless bodies, i run back home and hit google to see if there are plans to build more bridges on the axis.

The country is a strange land, only the strong survive.

Labelle

6 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Nobody: 12:55am On Aug 29, 2013
Gud write up like if you appreciate this info informento is power share this across and save lifes
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Nobody: 1:02am On Aug 29, 2013
Lemme flash them so that they can have my number,

grin

1 Like

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Nobody: 1:02am On Aug 29, 2013
Truth is this is no express way. Express ways do not have bus stops and round abouts. This road is a major scam.,

4 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by olopan(m): 1:03am On Aug 29, 2013
MAY GOD ALWAYS BE WITH US ALL AND NEVA NOT LET EVIL COME OUR WAY + IN MY OWN OPINION NEGLEGANCE ON THE PART OF THE GOVERNMENT AND THOSE LAZY A*S :-XADVISER,IF NOT SHA DEM NO KNW SAY THAT KIND THING DEY HAPPEN GAN
.THANK GOD IT THURSDAY AND AM ON THE OJU IWE AGAIN tongue tongue....... cheesy wink grin shocked
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by trolling(m): 1:04am On Aug 29, 2013
thanks Op for taking your time to show your care and compassion. me likey wink
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Gregzee: 1:06am On Aug 29, 2013
R.I.P. to the dead. Will never loose sleep on such issues. Its part of the mentality change we must imbibe...crossing such a busy road when pedestrian bridge has been provided. If I may ask, is there a provision for pedestrian crossing? If no then why would an educated person ever imagine direct crossing.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by thaoriginator: 1:11am On Aug 29, 2013
Spaced booked

I will contribute when I wake up... Ikate roundabout is precisely my bus stop...I know wuts up here wink the gods are not smiling
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Nobody: 1:15am On Aug 29, 2013
[size=22pt]Eko o ni baje o[/size][i][/i]
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Nobody: 1:15am On Aug 29, 2013
[size=22pt]Eko o ni baje o[/size]
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Nobody: 1:16am On Aug 29, 2013
Thank God Okada was banned on that road. It used to be a blood-fest, sometimes with body parts strewn all over the tarmac.
The road is an expressway, and as such, people expect to be able to move at a good speed. Unfortunately, pedestrians arrogantly assume that car drivers are always alert, and can always see them, and will therefore try to avoid them. Most drivers expect pedestrians to be smart especially when crossing the road, and make no provisions for the slow, the weak and unfortunately, the elderly.

Even cars are not spared on the Lekki axis...almost everyday, I see one or more accidents: for instance a bus collided with the concrete divider at the Chevron toll gate on Tuesday 26th August. I got there as they were loading the guy into the ambulance...no idea whether he was dead or alive, or whether other people were injured.

I have not been spared as well, cause my car was hit and badly damaged yesterday, while I was negotiating the Lekki roundabout by a bus that drove out of Lekki Phase 1, without slowing down. Of course his insurance had expired.

Sensitization should be one of the duties of the LCC to educate people on proper road etiquette. It is amazing that within the past two years, on this same road, despite the fact that I usually only ply the road during the off-peak hours, I have seen:

1. A G-Wagon upside down in the middle of the road
2. Innumerable bike accidents, sometimes with the bodies still twitching.
3. A car burn down and its fuel tank spectacularly explode. (ok, not really the fault of the road, but still...)
4. More than 10 Cars drive straight through the roundabout.
5. Cars speed through the bends at the round about, apply brakes suddenly, and lose control.

If you live on that axis, please be veeeeeery careful.

10 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by FakeID: 1:16am On Aug 29, 2013
Am not even based in nigeria but i do visit and very grateful for the information i just read. Generally speaking you have to be careful when crossing the road anywhere in Nigeria. I remember crossing a zebra crossing just outside silverbirds in lagos and nearly being knocked down by an angry driver who i believe don't even know what a zebra crossing is

4 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Nonybb: 1:29am On Aug 29, 2013
[b][/b]Its Sad the guy had to be knocked down but why is he not using the pedestrial bridge? Must we always blame the govt of our foolishness? Op i think u should rather create awareness about the use of pedestrian bridge than bashing the govt for making our road so motorable

2 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by hollandis(f): 1:36am On Aug 29, 2013
i think Nigerian drivers and road users are unsympathethic to pedestrians and categorise them as poor.There are no bridges in America for "pedestrian crossing".There is simply the traffic light even on the most busy roads.Nigeria has a veryyyy long way to go

8 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by FilesUpdator(f): 1:37am On Aug 29, 2013
Night watch things..
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by playahP(m): 1:37am On Aug 29, 2013
I've never witnessed any accident on that road sha.... Though I rarely pass there!

Skelewu skeelelelelelwu
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by SpaceWorld2013(m): 1:39am On Aug 29, 2013
Based on comments so far, I assume the road is good. Pls, people should understand government can not put p. bridge everywhere on the road why not help ourselves by making use of few pedestrians bridges instead of risking life. Thanks
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by tellwisdom: 1:42am On Aug 29, 2013
Ok, we are aware you own a car you drive. Thank you for letting us knw undecided.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by YoshiMaster: 1:51am On Aug 29, 2013
In any sane society, pedestrians shouldn't be crossing a highway.

Some Nigerians are simply insane, every car on the highway has right of way, that should first be established. As a pedestrian, why can't you simply wait till there is an opportunity to cross safely.

The solution to this problem, I think, has many parts. First off, passengers at bus stops need to be evacuated safely either by pedestrian bridges or the use of traffic lights with pedestrian crossing.

I personally hate roundabouts, especially those put on the Lekki-Express Freeway, I feel roundabouts are just poor solutions at intersections. Left to me, all the roundabouts should be done away with, and in their places, there should be traffic lights installed.

Now once you have these traffic lights at strategic points, when the bus stops, the passengers can safely cross on the next red (which will actually be green for pedestrian crossing). Roundabouts don't provide this feature, and are very archaic.

If the roundabouts are kept the way they are, more pedestrian bridges that compare to some extent with the amount of bus stops along that road, need to be built.

5 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by babaowo: 1:54am On Aug 29, 2013
No matter how distance is pedestrians bridges is i think people should make use of it to save their lifes.

1 Like

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by thrugemaster(m): 2:07am On Aug 29, 2013
i remember my cousin who died last year at phase 2 round about..... Rip......

I also remember seeing a dead body one early morning across the road near ajah...... Was killed by a hit and run the previous night...... What a terrible sight that day indeed......

It is so painful that in Nigeria, most of the deaths are preventable

2 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by 617aircav: 2:09am On Aug 29, 2013
One big issue is Nigerian drivers have zero respect for pedestrians. In other countries, drivers are very wary of pedestrians and do their best to avoid them because they know the consequences if they hit them. In Nigeria, there are no consequences. How will the police find a hit and run driver? Human life in Nigeria carries no value, seeing a dead body on the roadside does not shock people as they are used to it. What do you expect in a barbaric society that burns people alive. Op you concerns are valid, but I'm afraid nothing cam be done unless the whole attitude of Nigerians change.

5 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by delors(m): 2:19am On Aug 29, 2013
This road shouldnt be an expressway! if there are bus stops, then it not a highway...it is a commercial way; that is why there are bus stops.
No 2, how in heaven will the lights depend on PHCN when we know the capacity and 'efficiency' of PHCN? Street lights that I know of now, are dependent on solar power...and a country like Nigeria where sun (heat) isnt a problem should power street lights using solar power. With the tolls they collect this shouldnt be hard. This is a big scam and absolute disregard for human safety.
If there must be pedestrian bridges, then it must be at every bus stop or at every 250m. More so, speed limit should be set and displayed on the expressway to caution reckless drivers, while pedestrians should be advised to use the pedestrian bridges if available.
When are we gonna learn?

9 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by YoshiMaster: 2:19am On Aug 29, 2013
617aircav: One big issue is Nigerian drivers have zero respect for pedestrians. In other countries, drivers are very wary of pedestrians and do their best to avoid them because they know the consequences if they hit them. In Nigeria, there are no consequences. How will the police find a hit and run driver? Human life in Nigeria carries no value, seeing a dead body on the roadside does not shock people as they are used to it. What do you expect in a barbaric society that burns people alive. Op you concerns are valid, but I'm afraid nothing cam be done unless the whole attitude of Nigerians change.

While I agree with you to some extent that people do not respect pedestrians, the issue with regards to Lekki Freeway to me lies more with safely evacuating the pedestrians.

Have you ever wondered why people walk right on the road in Nigeria, even when there are side walks? I was driving one day on the free way, and some guy was just walking by the side of the road, I mean a few more inches and the guy would be on top of the curb, walking safely. So some of these guys are in fact daredevils.

You have to understand that, typically on a highway, cars move at higher speeds compared to other roads. Ideally, no pedestrian should be anywhere near a car that is doing 100Km/h, seriously!

Since the case of Nigeria is different, and we have pedestrians crossing "so called" highways, then a responsible government should think of practical ways of evacuating pedestrians.

How would any government approve a bus stop along side speeding cars, with no effective means of crossing. Pedestrians bridges at the moment are too far spread apart.

2 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Brimmie(m): 2:24am On Aug 29, 2013
We Need Constant Electricity!!

1 Like

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by kokoye(m): 2:41am On Aug 29, 2013
Yoshi-Master:
.... all the roundabouts should be done away with, and in their places, there should be traffic lights installed.

Traffic lights to replace roundabouts on a so-called expressway?? same dumb idea..sorry
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by md003: 2:51am On Aug 29, 2013
its gud 4 dem . na dem do demselves. na God dey punish dis country smiley cheesy :p
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Twy: 3:01am On Aug 29, 2013
It should be a matter for the policy advisers for Lagos State government. Normally they should have a plan to mitigate potential issues as a result of good road network and expressway for that matter. First, since the advent of the car, good road networks and increased safety awareness, a resulting rise in pedestrian death is witnessed. The idea is that the driver feels more secure and safe thereby taking more risk and pedestrian death has been the victim that suffers the most not really the driver. I think, the lekki road, should be just that a long stretch of road, with traffic stops and intersection, FRSC looking out for vehicles overspeeding. If they want an expressway, they will have to fence off the residential houses and business complexes along the expressway and create dedicated entry and exits.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police Arrest Rams For Attacking 65-Year-Old Woman In Ado-Ekiti / Three Great People You Would Like To Meet. / Houses And Farms Flooded In Minna After Heavy Rainfall (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.