Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,802 members, 7,820,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway (19926 Views)

Ambode Declares Second Lekki-epe Expressway Toll-free / Which Is Higher In Nigeria - Birth Rate Or Death Rate? / Massive DEATH RATE Of Yesterday 2go Users... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by mrlovefield: 10:33am On Aug 29, 2013
I have an eyes witness, on my way coming frm ikota bridge I saw a tipper with full speed along eleganza bus stop, & there is a man who want 2 cross road in front of God & man I don't knw how that fell under that mack tipper,that the end of his life, & I was the one who told d tipper driver what was going on & he jump down and ran away
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by TonySpike: 11:00am On Aug 29, 2013
ladeski: Well written. Have you spent time outside the country, cos your perspective is certainly an exposed one. I stop at zebra crossings on Ajose Adeogun. You should hear the horns from the cars behind me. Basic etiquette and road signs are unknown to a vast majority of Nigerians. mirror nko? SMH

With respect to your bolded above, just take a look at the bolded and see my earlier post. I'm telling you, majority of Nigerian drivers WILL fail driving tests if asked to undertake one...

Tony Spike:
Firstly, it is glaring that over 60% of Nigerian drivers cannot interpret road signs. Today, we have drivers who only learn how to 'steer' vehicle but lack respect for road ethics and regulations. For this same reason, many drivers don't even know what a zebra crossing is!!! With issuance of licenses without appropriate driver training, this is what we get.

My take is that more traffic lights should be installed on that road to reduce speed. Also, FRSC/LASTMA should lay siege on that road and lace it with 100 speed traps and stringent enforcement (especially at off-peak hours). I'm sure they will make lots of money by doing this. LASG should also install hidden CCTV units to identify drivers who engage in 'hit and run' accidents. I lost a great friend on that road as far back as 2002...
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Collinsony: 11:35am On Aug 29, 2013
That is very nice.... but why wont the LCC use solar energy light instead of using generator or waiting our disappointing PHCN to bring light for them.....
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by dbride: 12:09pm On Aug 29, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]

EXPRESSWAYS DO NOT HAVE BUS STOPS, SHOPS, PARKS NOT EVEN PEDESTRIAN BRIDGES!. EXPRESSWAYS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FENCED OUT FROM THE BEGINNING TO THE END WITH INLETS AND OUTLETS. EXPRESSWAYS ARE FOR VEHICLES ONLY. THERE IS NO EXPRESSWAY IN LAGOS!!!!!!
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by delors(m): 12:28pm On Aug 29, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

I like the idea of speed limits, but when you think of the enforcers, and lack of technology like speed guns, you start to get discouraged a bit.

If a leader is born out of nairaland some day, I hope they will remember all these posts and implement the big and the little things that would make our society better. The devil as they say, is in the details.
True, Master. Sometimes I just feel these policy guys know what to do and what they should have done but because of the level of education and exposure in Nigeria, they take us for granted. fashola knows the law with reads to rules and stuffs but only uses them to his advantage or to cover his errors.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by delors(m): 12:31pm On Aug 29, 2013
Walphem:
I understand the point of street light, LCC and Lagos state govt have no excuse to give on that, but with the speed limit; it is boldly attached along the express way and mostly it states 50km/hr. But trust my people they go even reach 140km/hr
Yeah, that's one other huge problem we face. Flagrant disregard for rules/regulation/law.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Lawalemi(m): 12:32pm On Aug 29, 2013
You need to know that some of these pedestrian crossings are a kilometer or more apart. I support the guy that recommended pedestrian/motorist enlightenment except government is ready to build bridges at every 200 meters on the road

1 Like

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by chronique(m): 1:23pm On Aug 29, 2013
Well,I don't use that road often and do not know how bad the situation is but the concerns raised by users on this forum,shows govt. needs to do a lot of work there. My only advice to pedestrians is that they think about their lives before they think about how short or long distance is. I for one,can't be caught dead or alive crossing major roads with pedestrian bridges. I get shocked when I see people do it. Secondly,if in need to cross at my bus stop or any bus stop,I take my time to wair for the road to be free(no matter how long I spend there). I like to walk comfortably when crossing and at most,jug a lil bit. That being the case,I always wait for the road to be very free. I also do not like the idea of running in between cars to cross the road. A lot of lagosians do this often. People should place more value on their lives than what they are chasing. If you die crossing an express cos you're running late for work,remember that someone else will get your job the moment your life is taken away. The company won't close because you're dead. Think twice people;life has no duplicate. Life is sweet irrespective of how bad things are. The dead would give anything just to breathe again,if given the opportunity.

2 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by phinter: 1:31pm On Aug 29, 2013
God bless you for putting this number. You're blessed in Jesus name.

1 Like

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by soulglo: 2:22pm On Aug 29, 2013
More pedestrian bridges and crosswalks should be put up. A young lady is facing jail time now in Atlanta because she crossed at the bus stop and a car struck them and killed her young child she was holding on to. There was a crosswalk she could have used a little further down the road but the bus stop was right across the road from her apartment building. She was charged with VEHICULAR HOMICIDE and she was not the one driving the vehicle. The police felt she was responsible for the boy's death and she very easily could have gone to jail. She was lucky to only get a years probation largely in part because she had a lot of public support. Here is a mother with three children and her apartment is just right across the street. The safe thing to do is walk to the crosswalk and then cross but I am sure she never expected her child to run ahead of her. Really sad that the kid died. It is a normal human reaction to cross the street because you do not want to walk the extra mile to safely cross but that is what you need to do. I think people should rather petition the government to install more cross walks and bridges for pedestrian so people do not walk too far. Until then use the available bridges. It is better to be late than to be late. Write to your local government to make Lagos a more walk-able city. If any city should have high walkability rankings in Nigeria it is Lagos

1 Like

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 29, 2013
people should either use the foot bridge or watch carefully and be patient before crossing the road.
for properties/lands and accommodations in Lekki/Ikoyi/Victoria Island and the entire Lekki expressway axis-check out our listings at http://www.distributenaija..com/2013/08/updated-properties-for-september-2013.html
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Tedpgrass: 2:53pm On Aug 29, 2013
rafhell: Kudos!
I drive that road virtually every day to lekki estate.
One other thing that baffles me is that some people choose to cross the express way instead of using the pedestrian bridge.

Where are the pedestrian bridges ?
The road has been poorly designed with regards to pedestrian use....IMHO

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by sammybrainy(m): 6:21pm On Aug 29, 2013
telexfree1:

What's the big deal in taking an extra step to save your self ? See, if you can't go an extra step even for yourself, how can you rise to the task when you need to go an extra mile to save
another person ?
If you suggest to use the bridge, watch carefully or waving down cars before crossing that's understandable, but saying people should take a public bus to the nearest bridge(which is not near at all) just to get to the other side?
What a suggestion.
If you really know the distance between those bridges then you wouldn't be saying such.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Jarus(m): 7:46pm On Aug 29, 2013
ladeski: I once saw a car do a 360 degree spin ala James Bond, because he was racing with some other car and lost control. He narrowly avoided the street light pole. sparks flew from inside the engine.

A colleague' friend (a lady for that matter) died doing car race on that road.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Lofx: 6:05am On Aug 30, 2013
A friend once sent the petition below to LCC .see their response below... (this was in January 2013)

Petition on Inadequate Street Lighting and Pedestrian Bridges between Toll 1 and Toll 2

I am a frequent user of the Lekki Epe Express way and I have been paying my tolls as do other road users. However, I have noticed that the street lighting is rarely functional between Lekki Phase 1 roundabout and the new Toll gate at Chevron. The road is extremely dark with the lights not on most of the time and also the sparing distribution of pedestrian bridges that there is such a high risk of collision with pedestrians crossing the roads indiscriminately. LCC needs to have minimum service levels on the availability of street lighting and pedestrian bridges (with mechanisms to enforce utilisation). We can not be paying so much in toll tariffs and still be enduring risk of hitting pedestrians along the poorly lit roads.

LCC responds....

Dear xxxx,

Thanks for your feedback and patronage.

The tolls  being paid at the Admiralty Circle Plaza  only cover Road section 1, that is km 0-  6,  starting  from the Falomo loop to the Lekki 2nd Roundabout, around Marwa Bus-stop, and to the best of our knowledge, the street lights along that road section have been functioning so far.  However, the street lights within Road Section 2 [which is from Marwa bus-stop to the Ikota River] should also be powered on, but LCC’s contractual obligation is to provide street lights powered by PHCN. Therefore, where PHCN power supply is not available or is erratic, this will clearly have an impact on the availability of street lighting along the relevant section about which you are concerned.  We will continue to consult with LASG and the PHCN authorities as we have always done, to ensure that the expressway receives priority feed in order to have the current challenges significantly assuaged.  

Regarding the pedestrian bridges, kindly note that the safe use of the expressway by motorists and pedestrians has been a subject of great concern to LCC, and our regular reminders to motorists and pedestrians alike about the need to observe speed limits and safety guidelines along the expressway will attest to this.  Even as we have it in our plan to position additional pedestrian bridges along the axis, we have already installed some at designated points on the road where we have high volume of pedestrian traffic and school children, while we also have sidewalks that can be used by pedestrians safely, without the risk of accidents.

While there is still more work to do, we continue to assure you and other road users that we take human life very seriously indeed, even as we continue to maintain and operate the toll road. In the meantime, we also appeal to all road users to drive with care and attention at all times, especially when they know that they are driving through an area intended for pedestrians to cross.

Thanks once again for your continued support and patience, and rest assured of LCC's continued commitment to providing high quality road assets and related services along the Lekki-Epe Axis of Lagos.

Yours sincerely,

LEKKI CONCESSION COMPANY
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by md003: 7:34am On Aug 30, 2013
grin kiss
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Omooba77: 7:53am On Aug 30, 2013
Everyone gives excuse, despite all the money they make, they should know that part of their Community Social responsiblity is to ensure safety of lives and properties. Also the Round abouts are too big, they sholud have errect iover head bridge, just as short as Jibowu to Yaba connect.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by cynthrob(f): 12:18am On Aug 31, 2013
[email][/email][email][/email][b][/b][left][/left][quote author=telexfree1]

What's the big deal in taking an extra step to save your self ? See, if you can't go an extra step even for yourself, how can you rise to the task when you need to go an extra mile to save
another person ?
U don't seem to understand wht d gentleman is saying! For example u re at New Rd bus stop dat can take u to Alpha Beach n u want to go to Nicon Town u can't board a vehicle to d nearest bridge which is backwrd frm wher u re without crossing d rd to get a bus dat will take u to where d bridge is..cos if u take a bus frm where u re without croSsing u re going opposite ur dir, esp wen d last bridge is behind u! I don't knw if u gat it!!
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by sammybrainy(m): 12:33am On Aug 31, 2013
@cynthrob. thank you for that explanation.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by 2AMLasgidi: 4:46pm On Oct 02, 2013
jerseyboy: Truth is this is no express way. Express ways do not have bus stops and round abouts. This road is a major scam.,

You just missed another opportunity to hide your stupidity!!! Ikorodu does not have a Bus-Stop abi? Oshodi Apapa Expressway doesn't have too? Lagos Abeokuta Express nko?

As for Roundabouts, People have provided us with info on the need to put them there. BTW, are you expecting that The Lekki-Epe Expressway will remain that 2 lanes it was in Jakande's days?

For me, I think the Accidents on this road is as a result of some factors:
1. Drunk Driving: a lot of people drive under the influence of alcohol.
2. That LCC road arguably has the highest number of pedestrian bridge within a 25km of road in Lagos. We can ask for more though... I just noticed that people people are too lazy to walk 200mtrs, 100mtrs to the bridge at least to save their lives.
3. I suspect people underestimate the width of the road... that's a 3-4 lane road (even if some people deny the obvious). You can't cross that road without full concentration
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by BigBashiru: 7:48am On Sep 11, 2022
crux84:
The problem is that the bridgs are FAR in between. I stay in Ikate just beside Lekki Phase one. there is no pedestrian bridge near the bus stops.After lekki phase one roundabout, the next bridge is at Jakande. It's like having one bridge at law school bus top and the next at Lekki Phase one round about. I think they are under the assumption that everyone living around that area own cars. The government has to build more bridges, especially between lekki phase one and Jakande and one at Agungi Bus stop. I spend an average of 15 minutes to cross that road on my way back from work.

Id say the government should make the traffic light junctions also zebra crossings....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police Arrest Rams For Attacking 65-Year-Old Woman In Ado-Ekiti / Three Great People You Would Like To Meet. / Houses And Farms Flooded In Minna After Heavy Rainfall (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.