Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:44 AM

Australia Is The World’s Happiest Country — Again - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Australia Is The World’s Happiest Country — Again (2503 Views)

37 Pictures That Prove Australia Is The Most Dangerous Country on the Planet / Can Students Work To Pay Tuition In Australia / Nigeria: The Happiest Country In The World! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Australia Is The World’s Happiest Country — Again by claremont(m): 8:42am On May 29, 2013
For the third year in a row, Australia has topped the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development’s Better Life Index, which ranks developed nations based on how satisfied residents are with their lives.
Meanwhile, Sweden and Canada were runners-up, and the U.S. grabbed the sixth place.

So what makes Australia so great? Thank the economy. Because of its booming mining industry and strong trading ties with China, the island nation managed to deflect most of the recessionary effects that hit Europe and the U.S. As the Wall Street Journal reports, Australia’s had 21 years of steady economic growth, and its 5.5% unemployment rate (in April) is less than half the average in the euro zone.

The country is also enjoying a tourist boom, in part because of an influx of Chinese and American visitors, who are flocking there despite record-high exchange rates. All told, Australians ranked their life-satisfaction at 7.2 out of 10, according to the study. The average, meanwhile, was 6.6.

That’s not to say everything is all cheery Down Under. The country faces dwindling consumer confidence amid a rise in the country’s high cost of living. Australians also rank pretty poorly in work-life balance, with more than 14% of the population working very long hours — 5% higher than the average. And there’s always the occasional kangaroo attack.

Here’s the full ranking:

Australia
Sweden
Canada
Norway
Switzerland
The U.S.
Denmark
The Netherlands
Iceland
The U.K.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/05/28/australia-is-the-worlds-happiest-country-again/#ixzz2UfICycZ4

In my opinion, Australia may be a happy place to live for its citizens, but that doesn't take away the fact that most Australians are inherently racist. This is a country that is racist against its own people (The Aborigines), so I'm not surprised that they use the same racist brush to paint immigrants. I wouldn't live there if I was paid to do so.

2 Likes

Re: Australia Is The World’s Happiest Country — Again by kennybuda: 11:17am On May 30, 2013
Claremont, denmark should top the list nothing special about the aussies.
Re: Australia Is The World’s Happiest Country — Again by claremont(m): 12:33pm On May 30, 2013
kennybuda: Claremont, denmark should top the list nothing special about the aussies.
I was surprised as well. The Scandinavian countries like Denmark, Finland, and Iceland should be far ahead.
Re: Australia Is The World’s Happiest Country — Again by Nobody: 2:09am On Jun 02, 2013
Aha, if you don't live in australia you will never get it. I lived and travelled across Europe before I settled in Australia. The amount of racism I saw in Europe I have never witnessed in Australia. The racism in Europe was one of the reasons I relocated to Australia.

Australia is the best

5 Likes

Re: Australia Is The World’s Happiest Country — Again by TMoni1(m): 6:39am On Jun 07, 2013
Its amazing how little people know about australia and they talk as it they know.
Australia is definitely the best and the most multicultural, racism i must must lower than peoples perception.

1 Like

Re: Australia Is The World’s Happiest Country — Again by claremont(m): 2:35pm On Jun 07, 2013
Largest ever study on racism concluded that....
About one-in-ten Australians have very problematic views on diversity and on ethnic difference. They believe that some races are naturally inferior or superior, and they believe in the need to keep groups separated.

Table 1: Attitudes to racism, cultural diversity and the recognition of racism, Australia, 2001-8

Survey Queston Agree Disagree
It is a good thing for a society to be made up of people from different cultures 86.8% 6.5%
You feel secure when you are with people of different ethnic backgrounds 78.1% 9.4%
Australia is weakened by people of different ethnic origins sticking to their old ways 41.2% 42.1%
You are prejudiced against other cultures 12.4% 80.1%
There is racial prejudice in Australia 84.4% 8.0%
Australians from a British background enjoy a privileged position in our society 40.9% 40.2%
Humankind is made up of separate races 77.7% 14.7%
It is NOT a good idea for people of different races to marry one another 11.2% 79.3%
All races of people ARE equal 84.4% 10.7%
Are any cultural groups that do not fit into Australian society? 41.4% 52.6%

Culled from https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uws.edu.au%2F__data%2Fassets%2Fpdf_file%2F0007%2F173635%2FNationalLevelFindingsV1.pdf&ei=VOGxUZL3COr60gXro4DIDQ&usg=AFQjCNGfmwE5OCg7vlHu2upsZu9G1bad7A&sig2=6qiEgmc9qqXuiVXSVMJOCw&bvm=bv.47534661,d.d2k
Re: Australia Is The World’s Happiest Country — Again by Nobody: 7:32am On Jun 09, 2013
T.Moni:
Its amazing how little people know about australia and they talk as it they know.
Australia is definitely the best and the most multicultural, racism i must must lower than peoples perception.

I agree. I was discouraged when I wanted to relocate I Australia. They talked about racism and all what not. The racism I saw in Europe.....OMG I had to leave there. Fast forward to years in Australia and I am yet to experience the nasty racism I saw in Europe.
Re: Australia Is The World’s Happiest Country — Again by oseiwe(m): 1:58pm On Jun 09, 2013
@jenny,
Wat abt norway or sweden?
Re: Australia Is The World’s Happiest Country — Again by M4gunners: 2:33pm On Sep 15, 2014
Australian still remains the best place to live.
Re: Australia Is The World’s Happiest Country — Again by adebisiema(m): 10:07pm On Sep 15, 2014
Australia, land of the Kangaroos......I hail thee!!!

Plz front page sharperly
Re: Australia Is The World’s Happiest Country — Again by londoner: 10:31pm On Sep 16, 2014
Australia is a good country. They have a better handle on work life balance. I did find Aussies quite intolerant concerning race, though, it's just that they are less vicious about it.
Re: Australia Is The World’s Happiest Country — Again by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 17, 2014
You guys are complaining Australians are racists what about Nigeria that tribalistic among their fellow country man? Nobody is talking about that one.you complain and yet these ractists countries still give you visa,work permit and PR yet you still point fingers.

(1) (Reply)

UJJUU / Can Someone Relocate From Enugu To Lagos With Just 20k / #tourism: Tales From Ibadan's Highest Hill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.